Whipmaking memories

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

whiskyman
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Whipmaking memories

Post by whiskyman »

I can't believe how quiet this forum has become - so I thought I'd post a few memories of my time as a whipmaker. Some of the newer folks may not remember, but for several years I offered my own Indy style bullwhips under the name Pageywhips. I initially got into the craft by buying Ron Edwards' book "How to make whips" - mostly because I wanted to be able to carry out repairs on the two bullwhips I had bought. Soon I was experimenting with making a complete whip, alongside a friend of mine (eaglecrow on COW). OF course, I soon had the bug and was reading up on everything I could - contacting other whipmakers, buying as many whips as I could afford and working on whip after whip. I recieved especially good advice from Joe Strain and Adam Winrich and eventually got in touch with David Morgan who very graciously chatted at length with me on the telephone several times.
Making whips was a great experience and many folks here purchased some - for which I'm very thankful. I hope they're still getting regular use!
I was digging through some of my old photos and thogh it'd be fun to share some.
These are production pics -

This is a finished 2nd belly in saddle tan next to a 10ft Morgan from the 1990s

Here are some braided bellies haning up with cut out overlays and my own 8ft in saddle tan

Skiving the corners of the strands

Some wristloops and whitehide falls

A 12strand overylay - the pattern has transitioned from checkerboard to herringbone

Braiding the overlay

http://i66.tinypic.com/35b8snb.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A brand new finished whip

An older 10ft
bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Re: Whipmaking memories

Post by bearbeast »

Wow, this is sooo great, thank you for sharing!

I am into Indy mostly for the amazing bullwhip. Well, no... I got into Indy for the bullwhip and it is still my favourite part of the 'hobby', though now I have an interest in other pieces of gear, too.

I always check the 'Bullwhip' section on here and never see any new posts. It is a breath of fresh air and nice surprise to see such a post and with amazing whip pics!

Cheers,
Bear
whiskyman
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by whiskyman »

Thanks - about 10 years ago this place was very active! Lots of established and amateur whipmakers as well as whip crackers were actively posting - a shame it's cooled off lately, but hopefully things will get going again.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

10 years ago we were getting ready for another film to come out too, so that kind of explains the extra activity back then. ;)

Regard! Michaelson
IndianaJustin
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IndianaJustin »

Thanks for the great pics. I agree that it would be nice to hear more about whips, not sure what I can do....but I do go out and practice with mine 3 to 4 times a week. Still not good at all, but the cracking sound echoing off buildings is therapeutic. I'm kinda hoping someone will stop and ask and get interested.
Thanks for the post.

IJ
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

Or the police will be interested and ask you to stop. :rolling:
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

In all seriousness we've had members get questions by local law enforcement. Some may consider a whip a weapon.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
IndianaJustin
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IndianaJustin »

Perhaps police would be, however its private property and my local police have enough on their hands I think. In any case I wasn’t mentioning this to have a session on the legality of it or interpretation by police. Simply brought it up to express my enjoyment in the subject and activity.
bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by bearbeast »

Yeah, this site will start swarming again, I believe in 2019-2020. :)

Regarding whip enthusiasts, I have already inducted two colleagues into the.. fun of it. But they merely like whips for the loudest crack and don't care at all about Indy. :cry:

The Bullwhip section is a great place for every type of whip lover and whip maker out there. It would be so cool to share our 'everything whip related' stuff, form collections to whip making techniques.

Cheers,
Bear
Tibor
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Tibor »

Indiana Jeff wrote:In all seriousness we've had members get questions by local law enforcement. Some may consider a whip a weapon.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
The public often mistake the sound of a bullwhip crack for a gun shot, thus asking for the local constabulary to put on their hats and sniff out the source of the mischief. :whip:
whiskyman
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by whiskyman »

When I was starting out in whipmaking, there were many whipmakers active on the forum - Paul Stenhouse, Joe Strain, Adam Winrich, Robert Duke. EC Whips, Bernie from EM Brand Whips, Bernardo Del Carpio, Paul Nolan - very exciting times! Sadly, several have retired, some are just not active here, and David Morgan has passed.
bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by bearbeast »

Yeah, the forum is quite quiet, though many whipmakers are still active out there... I think the number of posts will go up immensely with the coming movie. Hopefully they won't change Indy so much as to take away his trusty whip! :x
whiskyman
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by whiskyman »

They might give him a dog quirt :shock:
bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by bearbeast »

I'll take even that, if he puts it to good use! :-k
whiskyman
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by whiskyman »

I've recently been inspired to make a whip again for the first time in four years! More details to come!
whiskyman
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by whiskyman »

Met up with Dan Breineder (eaglecrow here on COW) at his workshop in Vienna - good to catch up on old whipmaking memories! Dan had just finished braiding an 8ft whip which is what inspired me to have another go and use up the rest of my old supplies.

I'll post some progress pics soon. So far I've finished the second belly and cut the overlay strands.
eaglecrow
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by eaglecrow »

there is no greater fun than having a sunday afternoon for whip making conversation. I miss our brainding sessions in Graz. Great you dropped by in Vienna!
whiskyman
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by whiskyman »

We'll have to do it again soon!