The Way You Wear Your Hat

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

AttyOzzy
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

The Way You Wear Your Hat

Post by AttyOzzy »

Hi All,

I really enjoy reading how COW members wear and insert their gear into every day life.

I particularly enjoy learning how you all wear your fedoras and under what circumstances. When I first started wearing fedoras on the daily, I started small. First, I wore a straw trilby on vacations and on summer/fall days. (I know - I know #-o ).

Then I moved on to a general grey Don Draper style hat to accompany a dark overcoat for work.

When I finally advanced to the Indy fedora (and I say "advanced" because for me is wearing a tall Indy fedora was like getting a new haircut - it was something I wanted to do for me but I must admit I may have been a little self-conscious at first) (Now, as an aside, people wonder if I am ill or if I didn't have time to dress myself properly in the morning when they see me without one of my hats).

I am fortunate to have acquired a few versions of the Indy hat from different makers. I have a few straight up Raiders hats; a Raiders hat that after daily weekly wear looks more like a CS fedora (also due I think to the resiliency of a strong the beaver felt used by one maker); a Clipper hat; and a new SOC hat.

I find that some hats I wear only when dressed up and going to work (the Clipper and the CS hat). I wear the SOC hat on the weekends when dressed more casual. I have a Raiders hat that seems impervious to rain or snow - so in bad weather I don that one. Does anyone else have a hat routine they employ regularly depending on their dress (formal vs. casual) or occasion?

Also, I find that I wear the hats differently. I like to wear my Clipper hat straight and above my eyes (almost like a Chicago 20's look) whereas I think the SOC hat bash is more comfortable if worn at an angle and higher on my forehead and slightly tilted back (plus I wouldn't be able to see in front of me if I didn't push it up a little given the slope of the front brim).

Does anyone wear their Indy hats differently than other hats depending on the bash?

I am also curious to hear about folk's hat evolutions. I imagine not everyone started their sartorial journey with an Indy poet right out of the gate - but please share either way!

Just looking for some thoughts from other hobbyists. Hope everyone had a great weekend :TOH:
Castor Dioscuri
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Re: The Way You Wear Your Hat

Post by Castor Dioscuri »

:roll: This is probably the most interesting thread I've read on this forum not involving behind the scenes stuff. I'm not sure I wear my Indy hats different depending on the hat, but I do wear my hats differently depending on my mood. To be fair though, the only real Indy hat that I wear would be the gray train hat, as I tend to prefer non Indy hats in general.

Generally, I save my hats for snowy, rainy, and windy winter days, and they generally wear them pulled down to protect against the elements. As soon as I go indoors, I generally tend to tilt it backwards as a matter of stylistic preference.

These aren't hard rules that I stick to by any means, as like I said, I generally tend to wear it differently depending on my mood. Which means sometimes I would wear it pulled down indoors, and sometimes I would push it back up doors.

However, I can appreciate changing how you wear specific hats based on their physical properties.
Glenville86
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Re: The Way You Wear Your Hat

Post by Glenville86 »

I take my Raiders ones and lower the crown into a teardrop bash. I do not change much on the Other movie fedora ones. As you wear them, they develop their own character.

My evolution was baseball caps for years. Got to age 50 and got rid of my sneakers and baseball caps and started wearing ankle boots and a fedora. I just found it sort of funny that my casual wear had not really changed in 50 years.

I do wear a fedora much more than when I first started. I just used them for foul weather. Now I wear them for sun protection. Some felts are much lighter than others and good for warmer weather. For smoking hot days, I have a brown straw Indy one.