Ordering an Akubra Federation IV

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

temple_runner
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Re: Ordering an Akubra Federation IV

Post by temple_runner »

kdragseth wrote:
elro2k wrote:
kdragseth wrote:I ordered my Fed IV last Wednesday. I only check the Australia Post tracking page a dozen times a day.
Has yours shipped yet? How long does it take to get out of the shop?
It finally arrived yesterday. So that's 15 days from ordering. It shipped right away, but like everyone else said, it sits in New York for ages. The Australian post office can't really track it once it's here. So in a fit of desperation, I tried the tracking number on USPS and it totally works. Finally got my hands on it tonight and implemented the bash. I'm thrilled! :D
Awesome!

Share some pics when you get the chance, if that's your thing.
kdragseth
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by kdragseth »

temple_runner wrote:
kdragseth wrote:
elro2k wrote:
kdragseth wrote:I ordered my Fed IV last Wednesday. I only check the Australia Post tracking page a dozen times a day.
It finally arrived yesterday. So that's 15 days from ordering. It shipped right away, but like everyone else said, it sits in New York for ages. The Australian post office can't really track it once it's here. So in a fit of desperation, I tried the tracking number on USPS and it totally works. Finally got my hands on it tonight and implemented the bash. I'm thrilled! :D
Awesome!

I shall this weekend. Pardon the delay!
yellowduke
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by yellowduke »

I'm a pretty much perfect 58cm size head which has served me well with hats from Penman, Adventurebilt (Europe) and Steve Delk. With the Akubra I had to add some of the foam they helpfully provide to tighten the fit up a little so in my experience the sizing ran a little large. Not a problem for me as the hat is such amazing quality at the price point. The greatest advantage for me is that it is probably the hat that gets the most wear as I have no huge concerns about it getting knocked about a bit. My Steve Delk may never see much wear at all given its value and relative rarity. A shame in many ways but I would be mortified if anything happened to it.

Incidentally, when people refer to the Fed IV as an entry level hat it has nothing to do with quality. What they really mean is that it is the entry point for your hat collection. The Akubra Fed IV Deluxe was my first fedora, I now have eight and I am considering a HJ next. These aren't all Indy hats by the way. There are some very nice and good clean examples of genuine vintage hats still to be found. Worth looking into if you find you enjoy hat wearing. The addiction is real! :lol:
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

yellowduke wrote: The addiction is real! :lol:
Instead of calling the FedIV an "entry level" hat, we should call it a "gateway" hat.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
elro2k
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by elro2k »

True, it is a very nice hat for the "gateway" hat collector. Anyway, I had to put some foam in mine as well, but since the hat has shrunken with the bashing steam, does anyone know how to get the foam out? I tried to peel some away but it's sticking to the inside. I'm thinking goo gone might work but I don't want to try it because of the slight yellow tint and the smell.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

That's a great question for the 'Gear Care' section!

Post this question there and you may get more responses from that area as well!

Personally I'd try removing it with isopropyl alcohol as it will evaporate quickly leaving no residue from the application, but I'll leave this to our leather experts to reply to as I've never personally attempted this myself. :-k

Anyway, post this question in the Gear Care section to get a discussion going there rather than in the middle of a Federation thread. :TOH:

Regards! Michaelson :M:
yellowduke
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by yellowduke »

elro2k wrote:True, it is a very nice hat for the "gateway" hat collector. Anyway, I had to put some foam in mine as well, but since the hat has shrunken with the bashing steam, does anyone know how to get the foam out? I tried to peel some away but it's sticking to the inside. I'm thinking goo gone might work but I don't want to try it because of the slight yellow tint and the smell.
I put the adhesive side to the sweatband to avoid any future problems with getting it off the felt. That said it should be out of sight anyway.

Indiana Jeff wrote:
Instead of calling the FedIV an "entry level" hat, we should call it a "gateway" hat.
Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Gateway yes perfect word for it.
temple_runner
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by temple_runner »

Indiana Jeff wrote:

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
yea, that's a good point. To be honest, I haven't felt the need for a different or better hat since wearing my Akubra every day for the past few months. However, that may change over time.
Charybdis
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Charybdis »

Continuing this discussion as to price point, I was wondering if most of you wear or do not wear your hats based upon the price of the hat?

For example, do most of you not wear your very expensive hats? Do you wear the least expensive more because it's cheaper and you would rather ruin that one instead of an expensive one?

Does it matter? Or do you like wearing your expensive hat knowing it will take a beating?
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

I wear my AB's each and every day, regardless of weather.

I see a good hat as nothing more than a tool, and like anything else, you get what you pay for. A better made hat will survive the elements, and can be rebuilt over and over again to like new spec.

Now, manufacturers have different spins on that concept. If you recall, buying Craftsmen tools was an investment, as they came with a lifetime warranty. They did that because their tools were MADE to last a couple of lifetimes. Attitudes then changed to make cheaper but still decent tools, as they could afford to replace a cheaper tool with a like replacement than have to guarantee non-failure of the better made tool.

So, you can either just keep buying less expensive hats to replace those that eventually 'give up the ghost', or you can invest in a really GOOD hat and only have to have it reblocked every few years as needed.

Either way is still a workable situation. It all depends on what a buyer is willing to do.

Regards! Michaelson
temple_runner
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by temple_runner »

Charybdis wrote:Continuing this discussion as to price point, I was wondering if most of you wear or do not wear your hats based upon the price of the hat?

For example, do most of you not wear your very expensive hats? Do you wear the least expensive more because it's cheaper and you would rather ruin that one instead of an expensive one?

Does it matter? Or do you like wearing your expensive hat knowing it will take a beating?
I think there's also a difference between expensive and quality versus just expensive.

A really expensive Lamborghini cannot survive being rear-ended without major damage. A 1920s Model-T has a steel bumper and would be fine if rear-ended. Both are expensive, but one is expensive and durable.

Long story short, I would not buy nor wear a purely expensive hat. I would buy a durable and expensive hat. For me, an Akubra was expensive. For others, maybe not. I've never spent over a $100 on a hat in my life.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Yep, it's all a matter of point of view and where you are at any given time. :M: :tup:

As to the Model T example, no, it would be totally demolished too, but parts would be easier to find to fix it. ;)

Then again, you could rebuild the Lamborghini too, so it's all in how you want to approach things. :-k :TOH:

Regards! M :M:
kdragseth
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by kdragseth »

temple_runner wrote:
kdragseth wrote:
elro2k wrote:
Awesome!

marshall2288
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by marshall2288 »

Looking good!
Dangerfreak
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Dangerfreak »

I ordered my Fed IV just about a month ago. It arrived at my door in the UK all the way from 'Auz' in under two weeks. My head measurement was the same as one of the sizes listed on their on-line order form. However, when it arrived and I tried it on, it was just a little too large and slipped down to my ears too easily. Thankfully all was not lost. They helpfully provided a self adhesive foam band that I applied to the inner side of the interior leather head band. It then fitted perfectly.

All the reviews I read of this hat were full of praise and it's a great Indy hat at an affordable price. The Akubra brand seems almost legendary in it's durable quality and I must say I am very pleased with my Fed IV.
temple_runner
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by temple_runner »

My Akubra Fed IV has been great over the past six months. It has seen snow, rain, and sunny days. It has never left my side and has really been a great hat in all weather. I haven't done anything to the bash, preferring to let it naturally adjust over time.

If I one minor complaint it would be that it does get hot on warm days, but I bought it knowing the Akubra was a hotter hat.

Here's a picture of me for my noir nights:
Charybdis
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Charybdis »

Sweet! Looks like you stepped out of a 1940's movie!
Jeremiah
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Jeremiah »

Great pic. Love it.
Glenville86
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Glenville86 »

Great looking fedora. Almost all my fur fedoras are too hot for me to wear outside for very long during certain times of the year.
temple_runner
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by temple_runner »

Yeah I do sweat a lot between mid-May-September, but I just remember that Indy was in Egypt so it's all good.
temple_runner
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by temple_runner »

Got a tea kettle (finally!) last night and was able to get a proper steaming on my Akubra Fed IV. After some bashing and such, I like it a lot better than before.

ImageImage
ImageImage
Dangerfreak
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Dangerfreak »

Some great pictures there Temple Runner. That's a fine looking hat. I got my Fed IV a couple of months back. Arrived from 'Aus' to my door in the UK in under two weeks and in perfect condition. Really good service from the company. I'm well pleased with my Fed IV and I think they're great value for money.
Image Image Image Image Image
Dangerfreak
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Dangerfreak »

When looking at Raiders for the bash of my hat, I realized just how beaten up Indy's hat is in that film. I wasn't prepared to give mine quite the same punishment.
kdragseth
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by kdragseth »

Yes I had the same hesitation. I've been slowly working mine in, and getting more aggressive as time passes. Still a fantastic lid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jeremiah
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Jeremiah »

A well made hat can take the abuse. I have rolled up, sat on and crushed my AB
Looks great as can be seen in the thread on the questions.
alaska_mcghee
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by alaska_mcghee »

Charybdis wrote:Continuing this discussion as to price point, I was wondering if most of you wear or do not wear your hats based upon the price of the hat?

I wear my hats based on how readily available it is. If it is easily replaced/serviced I wear it more. For my Indiana Jones hats my Akubra Federation Deluxe III get lots of mileage compared to my AB. For non-Indiana Jones hats my VS Custom hats get used a lot more use compared to say the Akubra Down under that is now discontinued. With that said I have never had a hat stolen, lost or damaged to the point I couldn’t fix it myself. So there is really no reason for this fear. But it is still there.

As for specification to Hatsdirect when ordering a new Federation there would be three things I would specify.
#1 Your actual head size (as already stated on this thread)
#2 How stiff you want the hat. I have read on other forums Akubra has produced some pretty stiff open crown hats. Described as “Cardboard”. I don’t think that’s “normal” but I would have that conversation anyway.
#3 One that does not have a predominant ring at the base of the crown. Where the hat breaks to the brim. I have seen some pictures of new Federation/Campdrafts where this line is very noticeable. Not a deal breaker but I would ask anyway.

Akubras are fantastic solid hats. My oldest Federation is the first generation with the wider brim and red liner. I bought it in 2001. Eventually bought a Federation Deluxe in 2005. Sold my original federation to a buddy and he is still wearing it regularly to this day. Needs a new sweatband but other than that it is doing fine. My Federation Deluxe has been my bad weather hat for years. Right now It’s my daily wear hat for work. I am the kind of guy who never leaves the house without a hat on my head so it has had lots of use. Great hats. Can’t recommend them enough.

My two cents worth anyway.

Johnny
Dangerfreak
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Dangerfreak »

[quote I get nothing but compliments (including the rare "Indiana Jones," which I find more appealing than insulting.)[/quote]

I wore mine out down the pub the other night. One bloke said I looked like I was one of the Untouchables of Elliott Ness fame. On my way to the bus station, some young 'Mods' started whistling the Raiders March. I couldn't help smiling.
temple_runner
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by temple_runner »

I've done some work recently to my Akubra Fed IV to give it a bash more reminiscent of the Raiders bash. Akubra made a tough hat, as evidence by its ability to hold the factory shape and not want to give much room to budge. Slowly but surely...

I have a slight hump on the crown on my left side I still need to work out.
kdragseth
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by kdragseth »

After months of wearing it a few hours a night, gently shaping and reshaping it, my Fed is as good as it's gonna get. Fits perfectly, looks great, makes me smile every time I see it. Great investment.

Charybdis
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Charybdis »

In the end, that's what matters! You said it makes you smile every time you see yourself wearing it...that's the goal!! Way to go!
Jackfyddle
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Jackfyddle »

temple_runner wrote:Today I received a box all the way from Katoomba, Australia, which could only mean one thing: the Alkubra Federation IV Deluxe has arrived!

Below are some unboxing photos and some photos of me wearing the hat after a very quick steam-assisted bashing. Definitely need to work on the front some more.

The people at Alkubra did a very good job packaging this hat and even included a note about the proper sizing they did for me. I took the advice from this site and included my exact measurements, which paid off.

I've found the bashing much more difficult than I expected. Not that the hat does not respond well, but now every little detail is available to be molded to my liking. Too many options! I'm sure I'll be working the bash over and over until it's perfect.

Enjoy!

ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
Great looking hat!

Jackfyddle
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Jackfyddle »

I recently purchased an Akubra Federation hat on EBay. Guess it was an original not a deluxe or IV. Crown is almost 5 inches and brim is almost 3 inches. Also the crown punch is great but the bash is a tear drop not a center bash. It shows as Imperial felt but feels just like my Akubra Lawson which is Heritage felt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Jackfyddle
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Jackfyddle »

Federation and HJ side by side
Federation is on left

Jackfyddle
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Jackfyddle »

I tend to like the slightly higher crown. I have a Barons Cliffhanger Redux for sale on EBay as the crown is shorter than my Barons original Cliffhanger. Both are 100% Beaver.

davidd
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by davidd »

Jackfyddle wrote:Federation and HJ side by side. Federation is on left.
Neat! Thanks for sharing that pic! From a distance, and in a photo, they both look equally good. Any impressions or comments regarding similarities or differences? In the photo, the HJ looks to be a darker brown while the Fed has a lighter, slightly greyish tint, but that could be the lighting.
Jackfyddle
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Jackfyddle »

Yes the Fed is a bit lighter but it also had a lot of fullers earth, most of which I brushed off. The when I compare the HJ with my Steve Delk CS the HJ is lighter sable.

Jackfyddle
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Jackfyddle »

I would say the HK is a more luxurious felt but the Fed is very soft, more like my Akubra Lawson.

Jackfyddle
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Jackfyddle »

Sorry I meant HJ for the Poet not HK

temple_runner
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by temple_runner »

Jackfyddle wrote:
temple_runner wrote:Today I received a box all the way from Katoomba, Australia, which could only mean one thing: the Alkubra Federation IV Deluxe has arrived!

Below are some unboxing photos and some photos of me wearing the hat after a very quick steam-assisted bashing. Definitely need to work on the front some more.

The people at Alkubra did a very good job packaging this hat and even included a note about the proper sizing they did for me. I took the advice from this site and included my exact measurements, which paid off.

I've found the bashing much more difficult than I expected. Not that the hat does not respond well, but now every little detail is available to be molded to my liking. Too many options! I'm sure I'll be working the bash over and over until it's perfect.

Enjoy!

ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
Great looking hat!

Thanks. It looks better and better every time I wear it.
Glenville86
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Glenville86 »

Wonder if anyone has bought one of these and just worn it like a big bowler or Billy Jack looking lid?
IndyFan89
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by IndyFan89 »

I take my Fed IV everywhere

Kladdagh
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Kladdagh »

Great pics ... thanks for sharing :)
Ark101
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Ark101 »

I've had my Akubra Fed IV Deluxe for about a year now and I love it! I wear it pretty much everywhere and I get lots of compliments. It definitely is little warm in the summer months. Sometime soon I'd like to upgrade to a slightly thinner hat for the warmer weather.
AttyOzzy
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by AttyOzzy »

I love my Akubras - I have a Moonstone Fed and a Deluxe brown Fed. I will only recommend - as I do when I order from any of the Indy hat makers - and I mean all from whom I have ordered - hats/ sweatbands shrink (even with the preventative efforts of a hat jack). I would recommend maybe ordering one size or half size larger than your correct measurement.

I know people will disagree - but this approach has saved me from many headaches or angry forehead lines. Nothing to fear with this approach especially as Akubra will send you some inserts for your band. Eventually you will be able to remove them and the hat will fit great.

But yes - Akubra has great quality hats. I get compliments on mine all the time.
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

Here's a question that might not get a firm answer :lol:

I've had a Fed IV for about 8 years. Size 7 1/8 (57cm), this is what I normally wear in hats, depending. I usually take into account the shrinking.

When I received it, it was a bit too big as expected. I put some foam in it, after a few years, I had to take the foam out. Now when I wear it, it's rather tight even with short hair.

I'm stretching it out as we speak (steamed it, wiped the band with a wet cloth and put a hat stretcher in it.

But if I get another one (been thinking on other colors to be fair) should I get a size larger? 7 1/4 (58cm)?

I mean, it was large on me for several years, needing foam..... but it did shrink to the point of me now having to stretch it.... but that was after almost a decade. I fear a size larger would just be too much. :-k
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

I would stick with the 57. I think if you go up to a 58, it will always be too loose.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Howard Weinstein
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Howard Weinstein »

backstagejack wrote:Here's a question that might not get a firm answer :lol:

I've had a Fed IV for about 8 years. Size 7 1/8 (57cm), this is what I normally wear in hats, depending. I usually take into account the shrinking.

When I received it, it was a bit too big as expected. I put some foam in it, after a few years, I had to take the foam out. Now when I wear it, it's rather tight even with short hair.

I'm stretching it out as we speak (steamed it, wiped the band with a wet cloth and put a hat stretcher in it.

But if I get another one (been thinking on other colors to be fair) should I get a size larger? 7 1/4 (58cm)?

I mean, it was large on me for several years, needing foam..... but it did shrink to the point of me now having to stretch it.... but that was after almost a decade. I fear a size larger would just be too much. :-k
Have you posed this puzzle to the folks at Hats Direct? Naomi and Trudi in Customer Service are patient and helpful. They will even go the extra mile and try to find the one hat among their inventory which is most likely to fit your head. If you haven't already, contacting them might be your best bet.
davidd
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by davidd »

I've been without a true "Indy" style hat for a while, but this past weekend I ordered a Fed IV Deluxe from Hats Direct. I received a shipping confirmation email the next day.

I've previously owned two Fed IVs, and ended up selling them both. Third time's a charm, or so I'm hoping, anyway. My intent at this point is to give the new arrival an Indy-ish bash and then wear the heck out of it all summer and let it take on a shape of its own. I've been doing that for the past few months with a non-Indy style Stetson hat and I'm really liking the way it's starting to look.
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

Howard Weinstein wrote:
Have you posed this puzzle to the folks at Hats Direct? Naomi and Trudi in Customer Service are patient and helpful. They will even go the extra mile and try to find the one hat among their inventory which is most likely to fit your head. If you haven't already, contacting them might be your best bet.

You have a point, I'll definitely mention it when I order again. After stretching my Fed IV out, it's not as bad right now, so maybe for the long run 57 is still the best way to go. Time will tell.
Charybdis
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Charybdis »

Well, since the 57 fits you well and you even need to put a bit of foam in there, I would say get that size again and enjoy it for the next decade!!