Akubra Too Big?

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

temple_runner
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Akubra Too Big?

Post by temple_runner »

Hey guys,

I've had my Akubra Fed IV for a year now and love it. Its built well and has suited my needs each and every day, rain or shine. However, in pictures, it just looks to be too "big" overall for my head. Whether this is my head being narrow or the hat being overbuilt (as some have said about Akubra), I don't know.

Either way, do you think this can be chalked up to my own personal image or would my head be better suited to a TOD or LC style hat?

If a new hat might alleviate the problem, what are your recommendations? I've heard Northwest and S&J are great options for a good price.

ImageImage
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Re: Akubra Too Big?

Post by Mulceber »

The hat looks good - I don't think it's too big on you - in fact, in the first pick, the brim looks just a smidgen too small.

If you're looking for an excuse to buy S&J, however, totally disregard what I just said. :P
temple_runner
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by temple_runner »

Of course, I'd love an S&J or a Delk or (insert another great maker), but I'd also keep my Akubra if it looks okay. I think seeing something every day with no comparison is what makes it hard. My guess is that's a big reason why collectors like us buy more than one of the same thing. Each has its subtle differences.
RJR
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by RJR »

IMO,the FEDIV looks good on you BUY I also understand the "NEED" for another(or 2 or 3).
pdraycott
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by pdraycott »

Looks spot on to me. But if the significant other asks... i would say you need another.... :TOH:
temple_runner
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by temple_runner »

pdraycott wrote:Looks spot on to me. But if the significant other asks... i would say you need another.... :TOH:
I'm trying but we just bought a house so she's in decor mood. Tried to get my Indy stuff over the fireplace mantle but it was a no go lol
Glenville86
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Glenville86 »

I think the Raiders bash looks really tall on everyone regardless of the maker. I still have a couple of them but almost never wear them. Wear the other ones on a regular basis. The Raiders bash is supposed to look that way.

I have even taken a Penman Raiders and converted it to a regular front pinch with a teardrop bash.
Dr. Jones, Jr.
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Dr. Jones, Jr. »

If you're looking for a quality custom hat at a low price, talk to Brian at Screencapped. Here's a link to a thread on some of his work with pictures (including the hat he made for me): viewtopic.php?f=24&t=67919&hilit=Screencapped
Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Forrest For the Trees »

You and I have the same head shape, and you and I have the same problem: the Raiders hat looks enormous on us.

Sorry, but it is a fact. You need a hat with a shorter crown, narrower brim, and a wider pinch.

I can only pull off a TOD style at best, but ultimately, I look better with a 5 inch open crown and a two and half inch brim at most.
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

I had exactly the same experience when I received my Adventurebilt CS back in the day. The hat was incredible quality, 100% screen accurate, but the broad crown and wide brim looked huge on my head. The hat appeared 2 sizes too big, and I just couldn't wear it. Eventually I went with AdVintage, which fits and looks absolutely perfect on me. I have a Raiders and LC fedora from Thomas Osygus, and let me tell you - that guy knows how to build a great hat! :TOH:
Illinois James
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois James »

Temple_runner, how deep is your center dent?

I have a rabbit AB that’s pretty tall for my liking. I put a really deep center dent in there so that it barely touches the top of my head when I have the sweat sitting where I normally wear my hats. This may be obvious to you already, but i thought I’d mention it. The Akubras are indeed a very full crown, especially when new. My Akubras have shrunk enough that they’re perfect now, and with hardly any tapering.

I’m no hat expert by any means, but I’m not afraid to manipulate a hat until I like the way it fits!

I think the brim is good myself. JMO!
Howard Weinstein
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Howard Weinstein »

I've had 3 Fed IVs, and on 2 of them, the brims were a little bit short of advertised width. Presumably, Akubra cuts them down to size before shipping to Hats Direct -- they should be a little more careful. On a western hat, a 1/8" variation doesn't matter much. But on an Indy fedora, I think that small amount can really change the way the hat looks on a head.

I think yours looks fine, but you could try lowering the crown on yours a little bit and see if you like that look better.
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

I can see what you mean. It doesn't look bad on you, but the crown seems a bit overpowering, visually. I think part of the problem is that the Fed IV has a narrower brim than the Fed III, so it gives the illusion of a taller, fatter crown... which is harder for everybody to pull off. My recommendation would be to get a TOD or LC with a slight taper (nothing too dramatic) as your Indy hat. Then, think about rebashing the Fed with lower crown.
Dangerfreak
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Dangerfreak »

I have a Fed IV and the first thing my wife said was that it looked too tall. I also noticed that in the mirror it looked just a touch too wide at the hat band. I'd initially gone for a Raiders bash, but it wasn't quite right.
I adjusted the bash using steam from the kettle. I moved the centre crease about an inch to the right of centre, lowered the crown dent so it would practically touch my head and encouraged the sides in by pushing them inward at the hat band. I also used the foam spacers on the sides at first, but removed them and put them front and back. This helped to narrow the hat. I'm much happier with the look of it now and it still fits snugly. I hope this helps. Your hat doesn't look too bad, so don't fret too much. All the best.

Sent from my XT1700 using Tapatalk
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

I agree with the comments that the crown does look very large on you. The brim dimensions look OK, and it sits on your head correctly so the fit is right. The crown looks so large it looks like you could pull the entire head down to your chin.

I have a non-Indy hat from Northwest and it's great.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Jeremiah
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Jeremiah »

If you think it looks big on you it is. If you think it looks great on you it does. There is an art to wearing a fedora. Confidence is key and to heck with what anyone else thinks. Wear it with that attitude and you will look good wearing it.
hufvud
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by hufvud »

Looks great! I agree with Jeremiah on this one.

Think we all go through the same journey with a hat, finding which proportions that fits the best. I personally cant got with a wide brim, but a taller crown works fine. I think your, very amazing, Akubra has the right shape to it and it looks just very cool. As long as it fits your head and you feel that it's not wobbling around then its great. My hat journey is probably never ending, always want to find something that looks even better.

Amazing!

/ Mikael
HUFVUD HATMAKER
Tibor
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Tibor »

I’ve run into that before too. It’s not too tall, but too bulky above the ribbon. I have that problem with Penman hats, beautiful but the look is off on me. I found the look I like with S&J hats.