Wested LC Hero jacket!

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Captain D
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Re: Wested LC Hero jacket!

Post by Captain D »

Wow, that dark brown Novapelle looks absolutely amazing - I love it and thank you for sharing pics! After viewing this particular hide, I'm essentially convinced that's what I'm ordering next. I'd like to order a Temple jacket in the Novapelle, but Wested noted that it cannot be done. I wonder if I could order a Raiders' Hero in the dark brown Novapelle perhaps.

Anyhow, thank you again for taking the time to snap some pics of your amazing new jacket - well done! :D
whiskyman
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by whiskyman »

I've had two Raiders Heros in DB Novapelle so it can certainlly be done. Looks great and feels tough, but it's a heavier leather and so you don't get that Raiders drape, if that'S important to you.
IndyFan89
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by IndyFan89 »

whipwarrior wrote:I applied a mild version of the LC distressing which will be enhanced with natural wear from use. The jacket will look better with age, like my 10 year-old novapelle CS jacket. I used a soft, well-worn Scotchbrite pad to gently buff the surface off the leather with a minimal of damage. Novapelle has a nice warm undertone that looks great in natural light, and the skin resembles the heavy lamb used for the movie jackets. I’m sure you will love your LC Hero when it reaches your hands. :TOH:
Did you use alcohol or any sort of lubricant with the Scotchbrite?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

None whatsoever. Just the soft Scotchbrite pad. I've run the gamut of distressing techniques over the years, a prolonged apprenticeship which ultimately proved that less really is more. The same effect can be achieved at a minimum of effort, without destroying an expensive quality leather garment. Gather all necessary reference photos in a slideshow on your computer, play the Indy soundtrack of your choice for ambience, then relax and work patiently on the jacket until you are satisfied with the result. It's that easy! :TOH:
IndyFan89
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by IndyFan89 »

whipwarrior wrote:None whatsoever. Just the soft Scotchbrite pad. I've run the gamut of distressing techniques over the years, a prolonged apprenticeship which ultimately proved that less really is more. The same effect can be achieved at a minimum of effort, without destroying an expensive quality leather garment. Gather all necessary reference photos in a slideshow on your computer, play the Indy soundtrack of your choice for ambience, then relax and work patiently on the jacket until you are satisfied with the result. It's that easy! :TOH:
Sounds fun!

whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

Actually, it IS! I played the Last Crusade extended soundtrack from the IJ boxed set, and applied the finishing touches to the jacket by the middle of the end credits music. It's the perfect musical inspiration for your adventure in distressing! :TOH:

P.S.- You can see more HD shots of the jacket at my Flickr page.
IndyFan89
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by IndyFan89 »

whipwarrior wrote:Actually, it IS! I played the Last Crusade extended soundtrack from the IJ boxed set, and applied the finishing touches to the jacket by the middle of the end credits music. It's the perfect musical inspiration for your adventure in distressing! :TOH:

P.S.- You can see more HD shots of the jacket at my Flickr page.
That link isn't working for me Whip.

whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

Sorry. Try this: https://www.flickr.com/photos/9911326@N07/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

That looks pretty darn good Dale!

Too bad it won't have the diary in the pocket! ;)
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

Maybe someday, but I can live without it. Fate of Atlantis props are really my bread-and-butter. :D
Jeremiah
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Jeremiah »

Wait. Holt didn't tell you? there will be a whole spread on fate of Atlantis. :mrgreen:
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

I'll believe that when I see it. :lol:

Here's a gratuitous pic of my new LC hat & jacket, just because:

Now savor the hi-res glory! https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4675/395 ... 0990_o.jpg
Jeremiah
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Jeremiah »

Nice. Why do some LC jackets have the gold or antique brass button while others have the dark brown button? I know in one film shot it looks like the button is brown, but have been told some are gold colored. Did the paint just wear off those ones?
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

The buttons on the movie jacket are black, so it's strange that Wested is using them on the LC Hero when every movie photo in existence clearly shows dark buttons. What's more perplexing, Wested has always put the black (dark gray) buttons on their standard LC jacket for literally decades, and now they suddenly switched to pure brass on the definitive LC pattern. If you want the black buttons (and the black lining), you must request them in a follow-up e-mail when ordering your jacket. My friend Karlo (Blackadder) received his new LC Hero novapelle perfect - with all special request details in place. He sent them 2 follow-up letters to make sure it was noted on his order. We should all be so lucky!
Jeremiah
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Jeremiah »

Really? Dang. I chose antique brass for buttons on my Steele and jones. I was under the impression the film version jacket had gold colored buttons. Well it’s ok. I am alright with some Differences.
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

The LC buttons are indeed dark. And they are brass with a very dark brown finish on them.

I have a few private close ups of the LC jacket that are not published on the internet somewhere. They show the button color perfectly and they are indeed very dark brown.

Same with the Lining. Very dark brown. Not black.

:TOH:
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

Either way, the black lining looks awesome. 8)
Jeremiah
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Jeremiah »

I opted for dark brown lining for me. I like it on my raiders jacket so I am a creature of habit.
Last edited by Jeremiah on Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

whipwarrior wrote:Either way, the black lining looks awesome. 8)

Yup :TOH: I have it myself ;)
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

If the original LC jackets indeed have dark brown lining, it looks black onscreen with the camera lighting, film processing and color grading. Unless I’m colorblind, the fabric looks anthracite black in the close-up of Indy talking to Henry at the German crossroads. So, although technically inaccurate, I opt to duplicate Indy’s jacket as it appears in the movie.
Blackadder
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Blackadder »

Same specs as whipwarrior (luckily they got everything right at first try), novapelle is a nice heavier jacket , perfect for snow weather that is upon me here. Alone picture and together with my LC gear.

http://i1252.photobucket.com/albums/hh5 ... juw2cv.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://i1252.photobucket.com/albums/hh5 ... um1p91.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by Blackadder on Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeremiah
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Jeremiah »

Pics won’t work with photo bucket adder.
Blackadder
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Blackadder »

Jeremiah wrote:Pics won’t work with photo bucket adder.
What do you mean ? Cant see the pictures when you click on link ?
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

The link is working fine for me. I can see the pics! :D
Last edited by whipwarrior on Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeremiah
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Jeremiah »

Blackadder wrote:
Jeremiah wrote:Pics won’t work with photo bucket adder.
What do you mean ? Cant see the pictures when you click on link ?

looks like you were able to edit and make them work. or the links were just not working on my phone at the time I clicked them. I can see them now though. :clap:
Indiego Jones
Vendor

Post by Indiego Jones »

Holt wrote:The LC buttons are indeed dark. And they are brass with a very dark brown finish on them.

I have a few private close ups of the LC jacket that are not published on the internet somewhere. They show the button color perfectly and they are indeed very dark brown.

Hi Holt,
Could you share here those pictures, of the LC jacket?

Thanks.-
IndyFan89
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by IndyFan89 »

Indiego Jones wrote:
Holt wrote:The LC buttons are indeed dark. And they are brass with a very dark brown finish on them.

Hi Holt,
Could you share here those pictures, of the LC jacket?

Thanks.-
I second that request.

Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

These are private and the person who took these did not want them to be spread on the internett. So as much as I like to share, I cannot.

Trenin
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Trenin »

Something we could consider asking Holt (sorry, not trying to talk like you aren’t here, Holt) is to take the photographs he has but cannot show us and using an “eye dropper” tool in a program such as “photoshop” or another graphic-design program, provide us with the RGB, CMYK, or HEX value of the color of the snaps. Now, this would very depending on the temperature of the lighting when the photograph was taken, along with the luminosity of the environment and whether or not he has already color-corrected the photo, but it would at least give an estimation for fans. So, for example, with the values known you could “paint” a swatch on your computer, and then account for the color profile of your printer to be sure you are printing an accurate representation of at least the photograph. You could then compare digital swatch to any snaps you are looking at sourcing online, or physically in person by holding them next to the printed version. I know that sounds like a lot of work, but it’s actually pretty simple. Just an idea. This would also, theoretically, work for a jacket. For any hard-core fans in the future who get access to a film-used jacket to take photographs, you can do a quick search online for the color temperature (kelvins) of daylight and bring along a bulb like that for the photography which ought to give you the truest color. Then repeat the “swatch” process, if the photos cannot be shown.
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

I know of the eye dropper tool. Thanks for the suggestion tho.
Blackadder
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Blackadder »

Some more pictures of the jacket on daylight with MOTB style. :TOH:

http://i1252.photobucket.com/albums/hh5 ... i6k7tp.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://i1252.photobucket.com/albums/hh5 ... hpqcqg.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://i1252.photobucket.com/albums/hh5 ... jsfdb0.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dangerfreak
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Dangerfreak »

Looking good there!

Sent from my XT1700 using Tapatalk
Stefan Hills
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Stefan Hills »

Holt wrote:These are private and the person who took these did not want them to be spread on the internett. So as much as I like to share, I cannot.

Where are these images sourced from? From ILM or a private collection? Just asking, and to be clear I am not accusing anyone of anything but I am a little curious? Assuming the images of the screen used Last Crusade jacket are from in person viewings, one can assume they were taken from traveling displays in Glasgow, Chicago and L.A or the Smithsonian here in D.C. Fellow COW member Mark aka KramStaar mentioned he was allowed to photograph the collection while at the archives but was not allowed to share them. Even Tony Nowak, who handled a Last Crusade Jacket prior to submitting his C.S. jackets to production, stated that he was not allowed to photograph the jacket and merely took notes. When Tony decided he wanted to do a limited run of all three jackets from the trilogy he used 2 condition report images from the Smithsonian which I had sent him of the front and back of the jacket for his L.C. jacket. Copies are in the possession of both Wested and Magnoli Clothiers and have been used as a reference by gearheads to distress their own jackets.
Dr. Jones, Jr.
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Dr. Jones, Jr. »

I just stumbled onto Wested's Clearance page and found that they had a New Zealand Washed Lamb LC Hero in my size for only $200 + shipping. It's on its way and I can't wait! :lol: I'll post pics when it gets here.
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

http://ids.si.edu/ids/deliveryService?i ... 788-000001" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This pic from the Smithsonian tells shows a lot of info.

Click the above link for full size.
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

That style looks great in the movie, but it's too extreme for an everyday wear jacket, even among the plethora of pre-distressed fashion jackets. That's the reason I opted for a milder variation of the LC wear. It looks handsome while not being too over-the-top.
IndyFan89
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by IndyFan89 »

How was that level of distressing achieved? Sandpaper, wire brush, nail polish remover, alcohol? I'm thinking about going with the Smithsonian look considering I went with a mild Scotchbrite method on my raiders hero.

Indiego Jones
Vendor

Post by Indiego Jones »

IndyFan89 wrote:How was that level of distressing achieved? Sandpaper, wire brush, nail polish remover, alcohol? I'm thinking about going with the Smithsonian look considering I went with a mild Scotchbrite method on my raiders hero.
It depends on the skin type.
Lambskin is very easy to distress. Takes less time, and no need of any rough techniques.
But also it's easy to ruin the whole look....you must be a cautious fellow ;)
senorjacob
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by senorjacob »

The problem I’ve found with my lambskin wested is that the undertones that are revealed after distressing the jacket aren’t red like the Smithsonian picture. The wested undertones aren’t exactly gray, but it’s closer to gray than red/brown. So I don’t think you’re going to get the same look.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

The red tones on that Smithsonian almost look like a browny red boot polish was rubbed all over it. I suspect that sanding on this jacket would have shown up as white which would have needed some toning down. You can see that white raw leather look along the sand lines in the tank scene.
Indiego Jones
Vendor

Post by Indiego Jones »

Pictures can be deceiving.

What looks as almost red, in fact is a warm light brown undertone.

Anything applied, rubbed to the leather, eventually will fade.
With time, the true undertone is revealed.
CM wrote:The red tones on that Smithsonian almost look like a browny red boot polish was rubbed all over it. I suspect that sanding on this jacket would have shown up as white which would have needed some toning down. You can see that white raw leather look along the sand lines in the tank scene.
Please, can you post a screencap were the white raw leather is exposed? Thanks.-
Tibor
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Tibor »

Pretty sure anywhere that impression is given is just dust on the jacket from the bag strap cannon drag scene... I couldn’t find any image with exposed raw white hide.
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

Ok, I must be wrong then. I'm probably thinking of that overly distressed LC jacket, the Kurtz one with the near white/grey sanding marks down all the seams. I still think the Smithsonian one looks like red/brown boot polish was smeared all over the thing as part of the distressing process.

Mind you, you can see some touches of grey/white leather showing through even in the photo kT posted above - near the bottom snap..
Last edited by CM on Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

Indiego Jones wrote: Anything applied, rubbed to the leather, eventually will fade.
With time, the true undertone is revealed.
Maybe after a thousand years. I had a brown jacket that I used black shoe polish on. It stayed black for 30 years before I donated it to a charity shop.
Dr. Jones, Jr.
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Dr. Jones, Jr. »

Got my jacket today! It's beautiful, pics are available here: https://imgur.com/a/YWEex
I took it into the shower for a quick rinse under cold water and pushed the sleeves up. The before pics are the ones in which I'm in athletic gear, jeans and t-shirt is after the washing.
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

Is that the washed lamb?

I like the look of it!
Dr. Jones, Jr.
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Dr. Jones, Jr. »

Kt Templar wrote:Is that the washed lamb?

I like the look of it!
Yep! NZ Washed lamb. It's super lightweight which is great for spring here in Texas. I intend to send it to Holt for some moderate distressing.
Jeremiah
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Jeremiah »

No. He is busy making our grail diaries. Don’t bother him. :CR: :rolling:
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

Knibs7 is the go-to guy for LC distressing, conveniently located in Houston, Texas. I sent him a LC jacket years ago, and it looked amazing. Get in touch with him for authentic movie style jacket distressing. :TOH:
Dr. Jones, Jr.
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Dr. Jones, Jr. »

Jeremiah wrote:No. He is busy making our grail diaries. Don’t bother him. :CR: :rolling:
Lol I'll try not to set things back too much.

@whipwarrior, thanks for the tip! I appreciate it.