My new Wested Raiders Hero

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

IndyFan89
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

My new Wested Raiders Hero

Post by IndyFan89 »

It’s my birthday tomorrow and my wife got me a Raiders Hero! I want to do some light distressing (no sand paper) where do I start? Do I put it through the washer and dryer?

EDIT: Also the straps are a little long. Any advice on getting them shortened?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Glenville86
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Re: My new Wested Raiders Hero

Post by Glenville86 »

Any alterations shop should be able to shorten them. You could also loop them back the opposite direction to make them shorter.

I would just wet the jacket and wear it until dry.
The Character
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by The Character »

KT is a fan of the pot scrubber to knock off the edges a little ... i tend to over distress mine so im not necessarily the best to ask ... basic rule is that any light rubbing even with a mild abrasive surface will degrade the leather but your best options are indeed.

1/ Hot shower on a hanger ... (zipped up) .. try and get the leather (collars as well) soaked but as little of the lining as possible. This tends to de-gloss the surface and relax the leather. It also pops up any grain giving a bit of surface texture.

2/ Let it drip .. or until the dripping stops at least (longer than you might think)

3/ Put it on damp push your sleeves up a bit .... ... basically wear it for as long as you can ... dont hang it up after just lay it out BUT ... in an airy room ...Wear it as soon as possible again (i find a Friday night/Saturday morning timing works well) ...This is also the time for re-shaping collars and any other parts you want more Screen Accurate (if there is such a thing)

4/ if you really want to go at it after that wait till its dry (important as otherwise you cant see what you're affecting and how much)

5/ Use a VERY light abrasion on the obvious wear areas ... cuffs... pocket flaps, etc .. but go easy .... Biggest issue with distressing is once you start unless you are super light whatever you distress stands out like a sore thumb and you end up having to do more ..

6a/ Alternative option 1 is use fullers Earth all over it and a stiff brush to work it in .. ive seen amazing results with that ... or just go roll in the dirt (seriously) a little ...

6b/ Alternative option 2 is just use it a lot ... and let it happen
IndyFan89
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by IndyFan89 »

The Character wrote:KT is a fan of the pot scrubber to knock off the edges a little ... i tend to over distress mine so im not necessarily the best to ask ... basic rule is that any light rubbing even with a mild abrasive surface will degrade the leather but your best options are indeed.

1/ Hot shower on a hanger ... (zipped up) .. try and get the leather (collars as well) soaked but as little of the lining as possible. This tends to de-gloss the surface and relax the leather. It also pops up any grain giving a bit of surface texture.

2/ Let it drip .. or until the dripping stops at least (longer than you might think)

3/ Put it on damp push your sleeves up a bit .... ... basically wear it for as long as you can ... dont hang it up after just lay it out BUT ... in an airy room ...Wear it as soon as possible again (i find a Friday night/Saturday morning timing works well) ...This is also the time for re-shaping collars and any other parts you want more Screen Accurate (if there is such a thing)

4/ if you really want to go at it after that wait till its dry (important as otherwise you cant see what you're affecting and how much)

5/ Use a VERY light abrasion on the obvious wear areas ... cuffs... pocket flaps, etc .. but go easy .... Biggest issue with distressing is once you start unless you are super light whatever you distress stands out like a sore thumb and you end up having to do more ..

6a/ Alternative option 1 is use fullers Earth all over it and a stiff brush to work it in .. ive seen amazing results with that ... or just go roll in the dirt (seriously) a little ...

6b/ Alternative option 2 is just use it a lot ... and let it happen
This was very informative thank you

Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Another tip that was shared years ago as a mild distressing/breaking in option is to sleep in and with the jacket. NOTE: your wife may seriously reconsider her gift to you!

Sleeping in the jacket will help soften the leather and move it toward forming to your body. Or roll the jacket up in a ball, stuff it into a pillow case and sleep with/on it. Again, the warmth of your body will help relax the leather and soften it up.

Both of these options have the advantage of being very low stress on the leather and are close to real world adventuring circumstances to give your jacket a 'used everyday' look.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
The Character
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by The Character »

Just read your original post again and a couple of points

1/ DO NOT put it through the washer Dryer .. been there done that and killed the jacket .. it also ruins the lining.
2/ i assumed you got a standard lambskin or shrunken lamb in which case the above all still applies ... if its Pre-distressed don't bother as it will look ghastly and if its Goat or Horse you may as well try and distress a Rhino! ... kidding! ... but they can take a beating and have less of an obvious surface ... (in my experience .. others may disagree).

3/If you do go down the distressing route and even the wetting and drying route feed the jacket with a good Leather Lotion (not a greasy pecards or other treatment) Lotion is lighter and soaks in we'll and in a day or two will be unnoticeable, but your jacket will appreciate it.. i use AutoGlym (UK lotion) leather cleaner and lotion.
Prodigal Son
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Prodigal Son »

I got a hero in goat skin about three years ago. I've hardly worn it and am already seeing wear on the elbows. The leather underneath the finish is brown. So, the newer goat from Wested has a finish that wears off easier than one from, say, ten years ago. This new goat is awesome. It comes with grain showing right out of the bag, grain that I would have had to have spent a year trying to get with one of the older jackets. It's soft, too. I was totally surprised when I pulled that thing out of the DHL package that it was shipped in. I was expecting the same-old-same-old and was really blown away. I was planning on getting that goat skin hero and just beating the you-know-what out of it, but when I saw the leather and the design, my plans totally changed. I've babied that thing.

I had a horsehide ROTLA about ten years ago, too. That finish was pretty hard to get off with acetone. It really looked ugly under the finish, too. I wonder if they're using a different horsehide now. If it's anything like this goat, wow.

I've always wondered if there's a way to make a patina on the leather by rubbing it with something. My seatbelt did this to my washed goat ROLA that I got about ten years ago. I just buckled up with my jacket everyday on that ride to work and in time, the seatbelt started giving the washed goat this shine where it rubbed it.
IndyFan89
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by IndyFan89 »

Indiana Jeff wrote:Another tip that was shared years ago as a mild distressing/breaking in option is to sleep in and with the jacket. NOTE: your wife may seriously reconsider her gift to you!

Sleeping in the jacket will help soften the leather and move it toward forming to your body. Or roll the jacket up in a ball, stuff it into a pillow case and sleep with/on it. Again, the warmth of your body will help relax the leather and soften it up.

Both of these options have the advantage of being very low stress on the leather and are close to real world adventuring circumstances to give your jacket a 'used everyday' look.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
I like to take a jacket out for at least a few dates before sleeping with it...

whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

Dinner and a movie first, and no heavy petting on the first date! :rolling:
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

IndyFan89 wrote:I like to take a jacket out for at least a few dates before sleeping with it...
You'd better take your wife out for a few dates before bringing a jacket to bed!

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
IndyFan89
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by IndyFan89 »

Indiana Jeff wrote:
IndyFan89 wrote:I like to take a jacket out for at least a few dates before sleeping with it...
You'd better take your wife out for a few dates before bringing a jacket to bed!

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Ah she’s used to the insanity now lol

The Character
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by The Character »

Thats what she tells you ... its NOT what she means! lol ...
Prodigal Son
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Prodigal Son »

Why do wives have that problem with us going to bed in our jackets? do any of you wear T-shirts to bed? I do, every night. I half-joked about with my wife about wearing to bed the washed goat ROLA I got back around 2008 and she said, "Okay, but I'm gonna stick my hand...." She said it would go to a place where the sun didn't shine, though she didn't use those exact words. Do they get jealous of our jackets? Do they just think we're retarded? To this day, when I pull one out from time-to-time, she rolls her eyes and asks if I'm about to, "hang that thing up and stare at it for a year." I think about the guy who started this thread and I laugh, because maybe your wife is eventually going to regret buying you that jacket for your birthday. Just do what everyone else says, either roll it up and use it as a pillow, or just sleep in it when you're downstairs, passing the night away on your comfy couch.
IndyFan89
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by IndyFan89 »

After some distressing and wear
ImageImage

indy1936
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by indy1936 »

Looks great!
IndyFan89
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by IndyFan89 »

indy1936 wrote:Looks great!
Thank you!

The Character
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by The Character »

Nice .... looks great with the shine gone and the edges knocked off a bit.
IndyFan89
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by IndyFan89 »

The Character wrote:Nice .... looks great with the shine gone and the edges knocked off a bit.
I owe it to your detailed post sir, thank you.

The Character
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by The Character »

You nailed it .. distressing is a black art .. different for all leathers etc ...

so again nice work ..... very nice
Havana
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Havana »

The jacket looks great! Now, don't do anymore. I think the key to distressing is knowing when to stop. Wear it well and put some miles on it.
IndyFan89
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by IndyFan89 »

Havana wrote:The jacket looks great! Now, don't do anymore. I think the key to distressing is knowing when to stop. Wear it well and put some miles on it.
I agree!

Trenin
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Trenin »

That looks great. I like it. Just enough distressing to suggest it’s seen a few things. That said, you could always consider this method...

https://imgur.com/a/gvqZ6
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

IndyFan89 wrote:After some distressing and wear
ImageImage

Looks great but did you have to sand off your face? Distressing is for jackets.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Oh, I don't know, CM, I've seen some pretty 'distressed' looks on folks faces when they took this sanding too far. :-k

:Plymouth:

Regards! Michaelson
IndyFan89
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by IndyFan89 »

CM wrote:
IndyFan89 wrote:After some distressing and wear
ImageImage

Looks great but did you have to sand off your face? Distressing is for jackets.
My two year old distresses my face every day, no sanding necessary.

The Character
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by The Character »

THAT IS SOOOOOOOOOO TRUE! ......lol
lorne73
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by lorne73 »

That's a nice jacket, IndyFan89
IndyFan89
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by IndyFan89 »

lorne73 wrote:That's a nice jacket, IndyFan89
Thanks!
Metallicuda
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Metallicuda »

This is an old thread but I think it’s sold me on the goat. I’m about to get my first Wested jacket. Decided on the Standard OTR Raiders but have been going back and forth on whether to get goat or lamb. I like the idea of lamb distressing more quickly and having a better drape but I want it for a daily wearer, and goat is tougher. I feel an Indy jacket should have some miles on it and goat is notoriously hard wearing and doesn’t distress easily.
The distressing that Indyfan did on this jacket has kinda convinced me to go with goat.