New Smith & Wesson Revolver

Need help finding an Indy Gun, want to discuss film used guns...

Moderator: Cajunkraut

Peacock's Eye
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

New Smith & Wesson Revolver

Post by Peacock's Eye »

Hey, Guys. I was checking the Smith & Wesson Forum (under the Lounge), and learned that in anywhere from 2 to 8 months S & W will be producing a Model 21-4 revolver (.44 Special). It will be blued, fix-sighted, with a round butt and 4-inch barrel. It will also have a Thunder Ranch logo on it. Clint Smith, of the Thunder Ranch, says that it will be a regular production gun and not a performance center revolver.
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Is there any way to post pics when they announce it's arrival?
Cooler King
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Cooler King »

Just in time, I've got some money earned up and was hoping to get an Indy pistol. If it's accurate enough and the price is right I'd definitely be interested.

Do you have any more info? :)
Peacock's Eye
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Peacock's Eye »

What I've learned so far is that it will be priced so that it will be affordable for those who want one. My guess is that it will be in the $500 to $600 range, but that's only my sense of this. The report on the performance of the early prototype they shot at Thunder Ranch was that it is a sweet-shooting handgun. Although the sights are fixed, they are reported to be wide enough to pick up a good sight picture. The front sight is a half-moon sight, rather than a ramped sight. It will have a tapered barrel, making it similar in appearance to the S & W Model 1917 that we've come to know and love here at the Club. A picture can be found at Smith & Wesson Forum, which is not affiliated with the S&W company. I'll try to get a url for you.
SHARPETOYS
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by SHARPETOYS »

I saw this earlier in the day is this the new Smith.

http://www.fototime.com/E0EE032ECDD8C08/orig.jpg
Peacock's Eye
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Peacock's Eye »

It is very similar to the new Smith. It will have a round butt instead of the square butt shown inyour picture with what appears to be one piece wooden grips. The front sight will be a bit wider and the rear sight groove will also be a bit wider for a better sight picture. I understand that an article on this revolver will appear in an upcoming issue of American Handgunner magazine (the issue after the current one). If you can't wait, go to http//www.smith-wessonforum.com/u66/For ... 05187.html
IndianaGuybrush
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by IndianaGuybrush »

Might want to check that link, it doesn't work.
Peacock's Eye
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Peacock's Eye »

Sorry about that. Type Smith & Wesson forum into your search engine, and after you click on the site and enter, click on the forum labeled "the Lounge." That's how I found this information.
IndianaGuybrush
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by IndianaGuybrush »

From what my untrained eye can tell it looks pretty good. Have to do something about the grip, and I'm not too thrilled about the big gold thunder ranch logo, but the N-frame, barrel length and half moon site are pretty good. Apparently this gun has a "key lock" or something on it (one poster called it a "lawyer safety lock" ). Could someone more knowledgable about handguns chime in on what that means?

EDIT : Pic won't show, but just check it out at the smith & wesson forum

http://www.smith-wessonforum.com/ubb/Fo ... 187-2.html
Peacock's Eye
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Peacock's Eye »

One post from Clint Smith of Thunder Ranch relates how in his discussions with S&W that he didn't really want the safety lock or the gold wash logo, but he was out-voted by the marketing and the legal people. He felt that since N-frame .44 Specials were hard to come by, it was better to get the guns out there for people who want them than to quibble over a few relatively minor items.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

An N-frame Smith with a round butt frame is a sad substitution for the original square butt, but they can't help not being able to supply what they decided to destroy back in the early 90's. It's a shame too. Regards. Michaelson
Peacock's Eye
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Peacock's Eye »

Agreed, it truly is a shame. I wonder how much the change in ownership had to do with product alterations?
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Destruction of the square butt machining was done when Smith was under British control back in the late 80's, early 90's, so it was directly related to the change in ownship. Regards. Michaelson
RonC
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RonC »

Still thinkI just might have to break down and get one of these beauties!!! Even with the round butt, it ought to be a funrevolver to shoot! I'll probably invest in a pair of custom "old-fashioned" style grips for it...sort of a "round-butt" medallion style.

Ron
Peacock's Eye
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Peacock's Eye »

I agree with you. I, too, will have to break down and get one. It is a revolver I have been wishing S&W would re-introduce. Revolvers in .44 Special are not easy to find, and I can't depend on S&W to keep them in production. In fact, not long ago they discontinued the Model 696.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

It's interesting to me how calibers seem to come and go. There was a surge in appreciation with the 44 spec. back in the 80s, and there were models galore being introduced and re-introduced, including different and new ammo creations for the revolvers being created. Then, it all slowly died down, and a lot of those new guns disappeared. Looks like a slow resurgence of interest coming again. Seems to happen every 20 years or so. Regards. Michaelson
Peacock's Eye
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Peacock's Eye »

I think you're right about the .44 Special being in a cycle of interest. The fixed and adjustable-sighted revolvers were discontinued in the mid- 60's and increased interest and demand brought them back in the 80's. Now, some 20 years later, here we are again.