Wested LC Hero jacket!

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

knibs7
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Re: Wested LC Hero jacket!

Post by knibs7 »

whipwarrior wrote:Well, if you're accepting orders, I just might be sending my new LC Hero your way for 'treatment' in a few months! :D
Sure thing, Dale! :TOH:
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

I'd recommend going a bit lighter on the NZL, since its probably not as rugged as the predistressed cow LC jacket I sent you before. In fact, I wouldn't even touch it with sandpaper. Too harsh. I used ultra-fine steel wool on my novapelle CS jacket and the result was perfect: same basic look without damaging the leather. So maybe that, plus a well-worn Scotchbrite pad are probably the best tools for the job, since we want to maintain the structural integrity of these jackets. Since you're getting the same jacket, you can report how the NZL takes distressing, what kind of undertone shows up in the hide, etc. "Distressing. Very dangerous. You go first." :lol:
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

I have a jacket in a very similar NZ lamb. It ages nicely with no help, wear it for a few months first, it's a beautiful leather with a lovely feel to the surface.
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

Anyone else starting to feel like this right now?

Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

Yes all a long! With my old trusty Last crusade jacket. :lol:

But I'm getting the new one eventually ;) 8)

whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

####, Holt - you should've just sent them your jacket to clone! It's perfect! :TOH:
BushManJones
Grail Recovery Volunteer
Grail Recovery Volunteer

Post by BushManJones »

I'll be letting my special edition LC Hero age naturally I think. Having worn the prototype I couldn't bear to harm such a lovely jacket. I'll get another in a different skin to go to town on with wire wool etc...
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

Some good conversation on Wested's Facebook page:
Spike Carpenter wrote:I’m going to go out on a limb and call this the most important mass-produced fashion jacket ever made. Glad I got my order in this morning! Now the question will be: Do I wear this one, or save it and buy the standard Hero LC when it comes out?
Wested Leather wrote:Definitely frame your special certificate. They'll only be 25 in the whole world; but each will be individually numbered so technically only one!
Spike Carpenter wrote:I never met him, but I would imagine Peter would have wanted us to wear his wonderful creation with pride.
Wested Leather wrote:We just hope you all love your jackets and our Peter is proud. We're so excited to start creating them, and as cheesy as it sounds, our love for Peter will be in every jacket that we make.
I've got the warm fuzzies right now... :)
DiCatania
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by DiCatania »

I see that Wested removed the LC jacket from their website. I spoke to Sally (Peters Daughter) and she said that they sold out very quickly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

We all knew that would happen. My friend Karlo (Blackadder) got the last one this morning. They start production next week, so with luck we should receive our jackets just before or around Christmas time. :TOH:

I copied the page for posterity:

Last edited by whipwarrior on Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DiCatania
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by DiCatania »

Nice ;)

Photoss
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Photoss »

I can't wait to see all of them! Hopefully they're perfect. :D I'm planning one for one in cow or horse. I'm glad they were all bought up so quickly.
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

My guess is they won't offer the other hides until next year, due to the volume of work through the holidays. They're manufacturing this special batch of LC jackets, plus the normal workflow of jackets and leather goods they produce leading into Christmas gift season. The standard hide selection LC Heros probably won't be available until Spring. Just my .02 cents (all the change I have left after the recent Indy gear spree!).
DiCatania
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by DiCatania »

Wested contacted me today and informed me that they were starting on my LC jacket

whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

We're all in the production queue, so everyone will be receiving a notification soon. With luck, these babies will be in our hands by Christmas! :D
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

The latest update from Wested's Facebook page:
Production has begun and we have a special surprise to those who ordered our limited edition Last Crusade 'Hero' jacket. For those who didn't manage to bag a jacket, don't worry, next Saturday we will be releasing another Last Crusade 'Hero' jacket that can be ordered in a variety of skins. This jacket will not come with special numbered certification but with a regular Last Crusade Certificate. Remember, we want glasses raised and jackets worn by the Christmas dinner table for Peter this year, you'll have to take the fedora off though!
The jacket should be coming to you before Christmas... Make sure you send some pictures when you get it! It honestly means the world to all of us at Wested!
indymassilia
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by indymassilia »

You are lucky guys,i'm not even fast to order this unique and beautiful jacket ,hope this leather will be available in 2018 !
DiCatania
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by DiCatania »

I received shipping notice this morning from Wested for my LC Jacket

whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

Excellent! That means they’re finally on the way! Everyone be sure to post pics & a review once your jacket arrives! :TOH:

UPDATE: I received my shipping notice this morning: 12/20! :D
DiCatania
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by DiCatania »

Just received an email from DHL saying that my jacket will be delivered this Friday. Unfortunately it is a Christmas gift from my wife so I will not see it until Monday morning.

whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

Yeah, I got the same delivery quote. But I’m not optimistic that we will have our jackets before next week, due to transatlantic shipping plus time spent in U.S. customs along with the usual landslide of holiday gift mail. I would be extremely surprised, to put it mildly, if I had the package in my hands by Friday, unless Wested sent it by turbo express priority mail.
catmark
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by catmark »

It arrived today.
Wested's limited edition Last Crusade 'Hero' jacket No.6.
IMG_96352.jpg
IMG_96352.jpg (119.16 KiB) Viewed 4246 times
IMG_96592.jpg
IMG_96592.jpg (117.31 KiB) Viewed 4246 times
IMG_96602.jpg
IMG_96602.jpg (114.04 KiB) Viewed 4246 times
IMG_96682.jpg
IMG_96682.jpg (123.85 KiB) Viewed 4246 times
IMG_96662.jpg
IMG_96662.jpg (145.23 KiB) Viewed 4246 times
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

Looks good. Lets see it on. :TOH:

I will be getting one eventually but in a different skin. Skin looks alittle off. Great Raiders skin!!
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

Mine just left Atlanta half an hour ago, which means it should arrive this afternoon. I just wish that my Azuma LC shirt would show up (my AdVintage LC has been here a week now). I want to make a video unboxing everything at once.
Hammerklavier
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Hammerklavier »

Skin is too thin for LC
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

Did you get yours?
Blackadder
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Blackadder »

So , the LC hero is here. The skin is thin and light as it is to be expected from lambskin. I went inch up in the back (28.5) and sleeves (26) , and glad I did , the fit is very good and comfortable, more tailored feeling than in standard LC plus when raising hand you dont get that much of flying squirel effect. The striations on the skin are very nice looking and it screams more like Raiders jacket than LC, the button are a bit different than on standard , more robust and wider. Anyways I would buy a Raiders right now in this skin if I could, it looks amazing. Wested was also kind enough to give me 10 % off the next order with handwritten xmas letter. Great jacket all in all, glad I took it. Only thing is that lining was supposed to be black instead of brown.

Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

Thanks for sharing.

I absolutley love the color of the skin. But I agree. It looks too thin and grainy. Nice jacket overall.
Blackadder
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Blackadder »

Holt wrote:Thanks for sharing.

I absolutley love the color of the skin. But I agree. It looks too thin and grainy. Nice jacket overall.
Yeah, I kinda did took it to be my casual wearing jacket , its very comfortable , but for screen accuracy a different skin would be better , this really reminds me of Raiders jacket in idol grab.
Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Forrest For the Trees »

Looks great. Yeah, that appears to be spot-on Raiders leather. Very similar to what Bill Kelso Mfg is using. Wested really needs to stock this leather for their Raiders Hero jackets.

As to the LC Hero, pattern looks good from what I see in the pictures. I would think their standard authentic brown lambskin would be a good match for it.
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

It would be awesome in dark brown novapelle (my favorite skin), but I already have 2 other Westeds in that hide, so the NZL is a nice alternative leather for warm weather. I love rhyming words. :lol:
St. Dumas
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by St. Dumas »

Holt wrote:Thanks for sharing.

Nope. It's a good match for the LC. It's as thin as what Wested usually offers, and not very grainy at all. Peter sourced it out well.
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

Always trust The Master’s wisdom. :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

Well, get caught in the rain a few times and you will see how much grain will pop out with the NZ lamb. ;) It does look nice tho. Just not ''LC thickness'' accurate from those picutres. But who am I to say. I dont have it in hand.

In the end of the day. Its a good looking jacket.
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

Indy Clause stopped by early! Looks like I have a few presents to open tonight!!! :D :D :D

Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

Open it now!
catmark
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by catmark »

I shot in a different lighting place.
I feel the thickness of the skin is almost the same as the standard lamb.

ImageImage
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

Boy, this is a tough review to write. I received all of my LC gear today: AdVintage fedora, Azuma shirt, and the long-awaited Wested LC Hero - the Holy Grail of Indy jackets? :?

The hat works, the shirt works, the jacket doesn't quite suit me. And here's the crux of the issue. The LC pattern is spot-on, with the exception of screen-accurate black lining which was somehow overlooked at the Barn, despite the reference photos I supplied. My jacket (size 40R) fits great in terms of sleeve length & torso, but the waist is too short. The back measurement is 24" as requested, but the front panel is--bizarrely--1 in. shorter than my previous Wested jackets! When I put on the LC Hero, the front barely covers my belt buckle. The waist sits approximately where my pants waist is, making the jacket appear too small. ](*,)

My other issue is the weight. I knew, going into this, that it was a lambskin jacket, but since I haven't worn a lamb Indy jacket in over 10 years, I'd forgotten just how light they are. Since 2008 I've sported a novapelle CS, and only just last year I picked up a Raiders Hero in novapelle, since I decided to make the Raiders outfit. The new (2016) novapelle was even heavier than the original hide back in the day. So I've been conditioned (spoiled) by the thick, substantial weight of cowhide. When I shrugged on the new LC Hero, it felt like papier-mâché. It literally feels like air! Don't get me wrong, the quality and craftsmanship is evident, but it feels like a costume jacket. In fact, I was reminded of my very first Indy jacket - a Wested Raiders in standard lamb, circa 1998. Still have that one, actually! :D

The LC Hero pattern is extremely accurate, though it looks like the pockets were basically cloned from the Raiders Hero (see pic below), not quite the subtle wavy scallop which defines the LC movie jacket. The collar is suitably large, the sleeves have the correct seamwork, and the waist is accurately devoid of a hem. The side straps are anchored by a pair of very robust brass D rings that are a step up from the standard Indy hardware, and the jacket features good quality stitching throughout. I found the back panel to be oddly tapered, rather than the traditionally square panel on all previous Indy jackets. The leather itself has a silky smooth texture, with a deep, rich brown color, and assorted striations which lend it a very unique appearance.

All things considered, this magnificent garment is the LC jacket we should have had 20 years ago. It would have saved everyone a LOT of time, money, and grief to have this screen-accurate pattern right out of the box. Now let's get onto the pics, which this thread is useless without. :P

Pocket comparison: LC Hero vs. Raiders Hero

With AdVintage LC fedora

Now for the Big Question: Would I buy another? It's a conundrum. Yes, I could quite easily order another LC Hero in my favorite skin, add 2 inches extra length to the jacket, request authentic lining, then roll the dice and see how it turns out. On the other hand, when I slide into my trusty, battered old novapelle CS, with its lovely scalloped pockets, thick quilted black lining, and exquisitely aged patina, it just feels right. The CS has been like my second skin for nearly a decade, my constant companion through all of my travels, and it looks great with my new LC fedora and shirt. I already have the perfect Indy jacket! So the old saying is true: "There's no place like home." :TOH:
Jeremiah
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Jeremiah »

This is what makes me so nervous about my jacket order (Steele and jones) The fit is what I refer to.
Last edited by Jeremiah on Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

Thanks for those Dale. I absolutley agree about the pocket flaps. They are cloned from the raiders hero and to me look kinda odd.

And I say this again, The skin is way off from what a LC should be. This is perfect for raiders.

In the end of the day. Do I see a accurate LC jacket? The answer is no. But it sure is a good looking jacket!! Just not screen accurate to LC in my eyes.

Enjoy it. I will be getting one in to see what the hype is about.
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

While the pocket flaps are a bit wonky, the overall pattern is nearly perfect, except the storm flap could be wider. But honestly, I'm not in love with the skin. It's too smooth and flimsy for a LC jacket. Also, I get the impression that while the LC style looks great on Harrison Ford, it doesn't flatter me like the CS or Raiders. The jacket looks good in photos, lying flat in profile, but when I put it on, it has an odd-looking effect on me. Perhaps the oversize collar and squared pocket shape don't compliment my 5'11" frame. No matter how I appeal to the gods of balance and proportion, the result is always the same. I am destined to wear novapelle jackets for life. :D
senorjacob
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by senorjacob »

I was always confused by the decision to use this skin on an LC jacket. I have a Raiders in this skin and it’s great. I can’t understand why they don’t stick it for more raiders.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

The reason this skin was chosen is purely because it was the last skin batch Peter personally ordered before he died. So for that reason the skins were chosen for this limited edition project, as a tribute to him. You need to follow Wested on facebook for this info. ;)

From what I recall on the ordering page you had to select the all dark brown satin lining if you wanted the insides accuracy. Chosing the cotton option just gives the same brown cotton lining from the Raiders Hero. That seemed pretty clear to me.

Anyway, I'm struggling to think what skin I would choose for this jacket when it's available to order in other skins? Whilst this skin is too light, something like Dark Novapelle is probably too heavy? And still won't look right. That leaves Horsehide, but I don't want to be walking around in a concrete overcoat.
Hammerklavier
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Hammerklavier »

Everybody is talking about how heavy dark novapelle is.
Does anyone has weight the dark novapelle jacket? How many lbs of jacket on size 42 or 44?
I am thinking about getting this skin for my LC hero
Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Forrest For the Trees »

Anyway, I'm struggling to think what skin I would choose for this jacket when it's available to order in other skins?
Seeing as the original is authentic brown lambskin, I would go with that. If you want something a bit more robust, go with goatskin, so long as the right shade of brown is available.

By the way, here is an older post that links to someone's Instagram feed that features behind the scenes Smithsonian archive images of the LC jacket. And an LC hat as well. Just scroll down a bunch to see them.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=67053&hilit=smithsonian
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

My 40R novapelle Raiders Hero weights exacly 4 lbs. (1.814 kg). It has quite a substantial heft when it's folded up. Feels thick, heavy and solid, yet buttery soft and extremely comfortable, like wearing a suede blanket. It's a perfect jacket to fall asleep in while traveling on an airplane, bus, etc.

Wested dark brown novapelle jackets w/ AdVintage fedoras

Dark brown novapelle Raiders Hero

Dark brown novapelle CS prototype
Hammerklavier
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Hammerklavier »

lovely grain in CS jacket!
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

That was Wested's first or 2nd batch of novapelle ever - circa 2008. Originally it had the same 'dusty' suede-like matte finish as the Raiders Hero, but I applied several very heavy layers of Pecards to the skin, which effectively glazed & sealed the surface, giving it the shine that you see in the photos. I decided not to treat the Raiders jacket because I also like the matte finish, so I can wear whichever type of novapelle suits me.
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

I'm enjoying looking at these. Nice to finally have this option. :TOH: I think goat would work best for me. Does Wested stock a thicker lambskin these days? Obviously the LC film version was made form a lambskin that appeared to be more robust or thicker looking in its drape. But in that beach scene you can see from how the wind blows the jacket how light it actually is.

Are the LC pockets actually that much smaller than the Raiders pockets? I always thought the primary difference was the much broader or deeper pocket flap but not so much the dimensions. I forget most of the things I learned here all those years ago. :shock:
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

Forrest For the Trees wrote:
Anyway, I'm struggling to think what skin I would choose for this jacket when it's available to order in other skins?
Seeing as the original is authentic brown lambskin, I would go with that. If you want something a bit more robust, go with goatskin, so long as the right shade of brown is available.
I thought Authentic Lamb could be an option. A ToD I had made from wested recently I requested a heavier bundle of Authentic Lamb if possible. They fullfilled my request with a slightly more substantial lamb that I immediately thought would be great for a LC. I might still consider Goat though.