New jacket offering from WPG

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

kozmoedave
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

New jacket offering from WPG

Post by kozmoedave »

http://onlinemilitaria.com/products/c17 ... ones-Gear/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

When you click on the link, it doesn't work, but this is interesting, nonetheless.
Charybdis
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Re: New jacket offering from WPG

Post by Charybdis »

What happened to their old jacket offering??
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Those were goat if I recall. I guess they decided to go lamb this order.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Captain D
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Captain D »

Yeah, kinda bummed that they're not offering goatskin. I've been writing to them these past few months and someone named 'Malik' or so informed me that yes, more Indy jackets on the horizon - goatskin, etc. just new and improved. However, I check their site and not only is the new batch lambskin, but they're more money to boot. Nah, think I'll pass and not worth the wait I was informed that they would be... :? Sheesh, back to the drawing board in search of an Indy jacket...
Gadzooks
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Gadzooks »

Anybody have any experience or pics with the WPG jacket? Not even just this new one but any of them?
Howard Weinstein
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Howard Weinstein »

Gadzooks wrote:Anybody have any experience or pics with the WPG jacket? Not even just this new one but any of them?
A friend of mine just bought a WPG jacket a couple of weeks ago. He's not an expert on screen accuracy or anything like that, but he said he was impressed with the fit and quality (and he has several other non-Indy leather jackets, including an expensive one bought in Italy recently). My friend liked his new WPG jacket so much he expected it to get a lot of daily wear.
Gadzooks
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Gadzooks »

Does your friend want to come post some pics??

\:D/
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

Are those pictures that go with the listing new, ie of the new jacket? The description says they've tried to copy the look of the Raiders jacket as accurately as possible, but from what I can see (from those pictures) it has snaps on the storm flap and D-rings not buckles. Those are Last Crusade CS features.

I am tempted to get one out of curiosity and just to have a different vendor jacket I've not had before.
Howard Weinstein
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Gadzooks wrote:Does your friend want to come post some pics??

He doesn't hang out here, but I can ask him.
kozmoedave
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by kozmoedave »

Yeah, I noticed the snaps, too. I'm also disappointed they went with lamb. Was really hoping these would be goat again.
Tinplatejeff
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Tinplatejeff »

Looks intriguing for the price. It says they were made for WPG by Steve McColgan.

I was not familiar with his company, but looks like he makes a really nice A-2 Jacket sold by SM Wholesale, see:

http://www.smwholesaleusa.com/a-2-aviator-jacket-story
Howard Weinstein
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Howard Weinstein wrote:

My friend sent along his impressions and 2 pics of his new WPG jacket. Please note he's not addressing screen-accuracy, just his observations of the quality and fit of the new WPG offering:

"The jacket is chocolate brown sheepskin, supple, soft, and smooth. It has a nice weight and feel to it. Stitching is neat and even. Excellent quality overall. As the WPG description says, it is cut tight, so get a size or two larger. I am a trim athletic size 38 and find the size 40 a little tight in the shoulders, especially with a sweater under it. I have ordered a size 42 to see how that fits."

We hope this helps anyone who may be interested in this jacket, since it's a pretty good price.
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Thanks for asking for a review and providing the feedback.

That's a good looking jacket. :tup:

Too bad the sizing seems to be off. :-k If your friend is a trim 38 and has to go up to a 42, that's a motorcycle jacket fit. Too tight for an Indy style jacket. I can generally wear OTR jackets and if I had to go up two chest sizes I think I would start having trouble with the fit in other areas - body and sleeve length in particular.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

Quite a nice looking Indy *style* jacket.

Does it have an inside pocket? And the lining looks like Satin. The website is not particularly interested in giving you many details of their superior grade jacket.
Howard Weinstein
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Howard Weinstein wrote:
Howard Weinstein wrote:

My friend sent along his impressions and 2 pics of his new WPG jacket. Please note he's not addressing screen-accuracy, just his observations of the quality and fit of the new WPG offering:

"The jacket is chocolate brown sheepskin, supple, soft, and smooth. It has a nice weight and feel to it. Stitching is neat and even. Excellent quality overall. As the WPG description says, it is cut tight, so get a size or two larger. I am a trim athletic size 38 and find the size 40 a little tight in the shoulders, especially with a sweater under it. I have ordered a size 42 to see how that fits."

We hope this helps anyone who may be interested in this jacket, since it's a pretty good price.
Update/correction from my friend on the size question. He says he's actually a 40R (in suit-jackets), so he bought the 40 WPG Indy jacket and found it tight across the shoulders, especially over a sweater. So he suggests going up one size -- at least, depending on body shape. My friend runs and bikes, so he doesn't have the middle-age spread many of us do have.

When he gets his WPG size 42, I'll ask him for a fit update. Oh, and yes, it does have in inside breast pocket. We hope this helps!
Gadzooks
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Gadzooks »

Howard Weinstein wrote:
Howard Weinstein wrote:
Howard Weinstein wrote:

Update/correction from my friend on the size question. He says he's actually a 40R (in suit-jackets), so he bought the 40 WPG Indy jacket and found it tight across the shoulders, especially over a sweater. So he suggests going up one size -- at least, depending on body shape. My friend runs and bikes, so he doesn't have the middle-age spread many of us do have.

When he gets his WPG size 42, I'll ask him for a fit update. Oh, and yes, it does have in inside breast pocket. We hope this helps!
It's not half bad looking for the price! We'll have to see if he finds it warm/durable etc. etc. etc. Please extend to your friend a big COW thank you! :clap:
Howard Weinstein
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Gadzooks wrote:
Howard Weinstein wrote:
Howard Weinstein wrote:
Howard Weinstein wrote:

It's not half bad looking for the price! We'll have to see if he finds it warm/durable etc. etc. etc. Please extend to your friend a big COW thank you! :clap:
My friend appreciates COW's appreciation. And he sent me one more update to share. He got his size 42: "Yes, the Size 42 fits perfectly with a sweater. No problem with the sleeves." (presumably, he meant the 42 sleeves were not too long)

So based on one man's experience, go up a size from your suit/sports jacket size to avoid this jacket being too snug.
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

Thanks for the info. :TOH:
Gadzooks
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Gadzooks »

Gosh, I was getting ready to drop big bucks on a US Wings or S&J but the price point here on the WPG is awfully tempting. I'm not a sucker for SA, just functionality.
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

The fit issue is very disappointing. The jacket looks great, the price nice, but it sounds like yet another inexpensive jacket that won't fit the belly! Which I find funny, given how roomy WPG shirts are. ](*,)
Howard Weinstein
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Chewbacca Jones wrote:The fit issue is very disappointing. The jacket looks great, the price nice, but it sounds like yet another inexpensive jacket that won't fit the belly! Which I find funny, given how roomy WPG shirts are. ](*,)
Depends on the belly, I guess :?

But there are ways around that, like ordering a size up and then having a local tailor shorten the sleeves, if needed.
Even with that extra expense, the WPG jacket is probably still considerably less than many other offerings out there.
Makes me glad I bought my US Wings 30th anniversary lambskin Legend for under $195 about 5 years ago.
Those prices seem to be gone forever!
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

I don't suppose there's any chance of getting your friend to post a picture of the jacket being worn? He doesn't have to show his face.

Sometimes ordering a jacket a size up is all it takes to have a great jacket.
Gadzooks
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Gadzooks »

xmasters wrote:I don't suppose there's any chance of getting your friend to post a picture of the jacket being worn? He doesn't have to show his face.

Sometimes ordering a jacket a size up is all it takes to have a great jacket.
Seconded!