Screen Used Raiders Jacket

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

knibs7
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Screen Used Raiders Jacket

Post by knibs7 »

This has been bugging me for years... why are there absolutely NO pictures ANYWHERE of the screen used Raiders jacket? I mean we've seen countless photos of the LC jacket from LFL archives and the Temple jacket from Peter, but absolutely NOTHING of the Raiders jacket. Why is it so guarded? Why is everyone so secretive about it? Even when Tony supposedly had it, no pictures were allowed to be taken of it. LFL has let people see first hand all of the major props/costumes from the films, but NEVER shows the Raiders jacket. It's as if it disappeared with the Ark. Idk, I just don't understand what the big deal is.

Thoughts? :TOH:

Kyle
Striker
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Re: Screen Used Raiders Jacket

Post by Striker »

Good question! Been wondering that myself. I assume it is buried somewhere deep in the LFL vaults?
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

I think it mainly has to do with it being in a private collection and the owner of the jacket, who is connected to Lucasfilm does not nor feels the need to share it with the world. Unlike Noel Howard and Peter who both were heavily involved in the hobby had the pleasure of letting the fans enjoy screen stuff.

Tony Nowak was told to keep it private. At least that was what he told me on the phone. Why? probably because of what I sad above.

One day I'm sure it will turn up. At least one of them. Maby the one Ford has in his closet ;)
Mark Raats
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Mark Raats »

I am happy to say that Raiders jackets in the archives DO exist and its because of their very poor condition that I assume they are never taken out...

There are currently only 3 x Jackets in the Skywalker Ranch Archives that are attributed to Raiders although for some reason, there was also a LC jacket hanging in amongst those when I visited again a few months back.

The Raiders jackets are in very poor condition indeed being exceptionally brittle to the touch and very much the worse for wear. IMO one of them is probably the jacket Vic Armstrong used in the truck chase and one of the others is the jacket used by Harrison inside the truck - showing the rip in the arm where he was shot.

The Harrison Jacket is torn and very well worn and both the rings and one of the straps is missing from the back.

Kind regards,
MARK
Jeremiah
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Jeremiah »

Based on that info it would seem the hero jackets were veg tanned rather than chrome tanned.

I know some WWII jackets , rather a lot of them, were chrome tanned making them easier to mass produce as well as making them tougher and more weather resilient.
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Gosh, guys, if you want to see a screen used ROLA jacket just venture over to your nearest Planet Hollywood.

http://indygear.com/cow/viewtopic.php?f ... it=hanover" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

I saw that at in Vegas when we went. I especially like the screen accurate knit cuffs! \:D/

:roll:

;)

Regards! Michaelson
Indiego Jones
Vendor

Post by Indiego Jones »

KramStaar wrote:I am happy to say that Raiders jackets in the archives DO exist and its because of their very poor condition that I assume they are never taken out...

There are currently only 3 x Jackets in the Skywalker Ranch Archives that are attributed to Raiders although for some reason, there was also a LC jacket hanging in amongst those when I visited again a few months back.

The Raiders jackets are in very poor condition indeed being exceptionally brittle to the touch and very much the worse for wear. IMO one of them is probably the jacket Vic Armstrong used in the truck chase and one of the others is the jacket used by Harrison inside the truck - showing the rip in the arm where he was shot.

The Harrison Jacket is torn and very well worn and both the rings and one of the straps is missing from the back.

Kind regards,
MARK
Mark, I know I've asked before, don't want to be a pest....BUT, if by chance, next time you're in the Ranch Archives, and can take a couple of pictures of the MAIN HERO Raiders jacket (yeah, the one with the rip in the arm, shot scene).....WE ALL will be very grateful. :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :TOH:
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

I can answer this one on behalf of Mark...

His professional relationship with LFL gives him awesome access to areas not available to the public. He continues to enjoy those privileges because he does not take pictures and post them. For him to do so would violate the trust placed in him and would irreparably damage his professional reputation.

As much as we would all love to see behind the curtain, Mark is not the guy to provide that access.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Indiego Jones
Vendor

Post by Indiego Jones »

Indiana Jeff wrote:I can answer this one on behalf of Mark...

His professional relationship with LFL gives him awesome access to areas not available to the public. He continues to enjoy those privileges because he does not take pictures and post them. For him to do so would violate the trust placed in him and would irreparably damage his professional reputation.

As much as we would all love to see behind the curtain, Mark is not the guy to provide that access.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Of course, never crossed my mind to do it without permission.
Didn't suggest to ask polite and nicely for permission...I thought it was implied.

Maybe he is the guy who can throw some light to many misteries...like the real and true color of the Raiders leather...something this basic, with no answer after almost 40 years.-
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

Getting a true colour is so incredibly hard. Much is down to the craftperson's perception, even if you get something from the same manufacturer, dye batches may vary from day to day. (Wait is this the hat section?) :) The light you are viewing the sample in etc can change how you see the colour. You can even put professional cameras that spot sample colours and the results they throw up are still up for debate!
Indiego Jones
Vendor

Post by Indiego Jones »

Kt Templar wrote:Getting a true colour is so incredibly hard. Much is down to the craftperson's perception, even if you get something from the same manufacturer, dye batches may vary from day to day. (Wait is this the hat section?) :) The light you are viewing the sample in etc can change how you see the colour. You can even put professional cameras that spot sample colours and the results they throw up are still up for debate!
This is absolutely true, and I agree 100%

However, in terms of color perception, I certainly trust on Marks eyes...
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Also, bear in mind ANY jacket found now is 37 years old and bound to have faded, so even if one is found, it's not going to be the same color as it was when filming began back in 1980.

Regards! Michaelson
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

So the Nowak jacket was from a private collector. I didn't know that. I guess he wanted a copy of the jacket made before the screen one disintegrated.

It does seem odd nobody has asked to photograph the jackets in the archive for a book or something. We may think it's Holy grail ourselves, but it aint it's just a movie prop. We've seen the other jackets, there's no reason not to see the Raiders one somehow. Obviously in an official capacity of course.
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Remember too, at the time ROLA was made, neither GL nor SS knew it was going to become the juggernaut that it has become.

They shot on a modest budget (in a relative sense) so less wardrobe was made for the production and even fewer pieces held onto. It wasn't until Raiders blew up that more attention was paid to preserving wardrobe and props. That's why there are so many more examples of TOD and LC items around.

And remember, for the casual fan, all of the hats and jackets are identical so there isn't a demand for a movie by movie breakdown in books or public displays.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Mark Raats
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Mark Raats »

These are all great comments and my thanks to Indiana Jeff for answering the question about photographs.

Guests to the archive building are strictly forbidden to take photographs but I am happy to say that they don't mind me taking as many as I want in the time I have there. Unfortunately even though I have a bunch of pictures, a condition of this privileged concession is that I am not allowed to share them which is frustrating for me and a hair-pulling for the members here. I apologise unreservedly for not being able to do so..

Regarding the color, the thing that is clearly evident is that the jackets for both Raiders and for TOD are much lighter than I thought they would be. While the Raiders jackets are lighter they have also aged to that brittle tobacco-stain (in places shiny) finish that can often be a typical of very old jackets. I suspect that Michaelson is right in that fading has occurred given their age but its interesting to see that the LC jackets are pretty much how we know them to be (there are currently roughly 6 x LC jackets in the archive building) and the CS jackets - of which there are about 30 x - are also as we know them color-wize.

Going back to the Raiders jackets, please remember that I am referring only to the one's on the archive building and not those reportedly owned by Tony, Harrison George et al. There are more of them but the only other one I have seen is the one that used to hang in GWL's office and that was a few years ago...

Indiana Jeff makes a point that I have made many times and that is that no-one was aware that this was going to be such a big deal. For Raiders there were very few jackets made (in comparison to the other movies) so they were punished, abused and trashed which as resulted in them being in such a poor condition.

While us Indy fans feel that these amazing treasures should be protected and preserved like the Grail itself, I believe that the other very important thing to remember is what I wrote in a personal record I did on the archive contents:

"Its imperative to put all of this into some kind of context because I often read comments from folk who scream with indignation about the fact that the Archives might not know enough and that sometimes the information they have regarding the items is not always correct. The truth of the matter is that not only were the early jackets and props made in a rushed fashion - so some of the details have become lost and blurred over time - the jackets, fedora’s and bags also only form a very small part of the overall Archive inventory.

The details of their creation, model types and screen history is therefore often overwhelmed by the literally thousands of Vader, Leia and Willow props and costumes also contained in the collection - all of which demand the same level of attention and archiving that all of the Indy items deserve. Although this is not an excuse, it might serve to put into context the massive job the 2 x curators at the Archives have in documenting and preserving all of the items they have in their care..."

I hope this is of some interest.
MARK
Tinplatejeff
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Tinplatejeff »

It’s so awesome that someone with access to the archives is here. I just want to say thanks for your insight and willingness to share your thoughts!

:TOH:
Indiana Joosse
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Joosse »

It belongs in a museum... ;)
Indiego Jones
Vendor

Post by Indiego Jones »

Mark, THANK YOU SO MUCH for your input.
We really appreciate your contribution.
Kind regards.-
Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

Mark, somewhat off topic, but is there a Raiders holster and/or gun belt in the archives as well?
Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Forrest For the Trees »

My wife is a museum archivist, and I can tell you that "overwhelmed" is right. What you see in a museum is very different than what you would see behind the scenes. Some collections are so big and were accumulated so haphazardly, that the small archives staff has no chance of properly cataloging and making accessible every object therein. It is a huge problem for a lot of collecting institutions.
Mark Raats
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Mark Raats »

Cajunkraut wrote:Mark, somewhat off topic, but is there a Raiders holster and/or gun belt in the archives as well?
All the items from each the movies are there, hats, whips, shoes, belts as well as the props (which are in another building). I have to be honest, I have not looked closely at the holsters because when I am there I have a massive list of things I need to get info and photo's of (mostly for my own records) and because of the sheer number of things there, its easy to become totally overwhelmed by everything - simply because there is so much. In a few rare cases, there are mint condition costume items that although commissioned were never used or even distressed...

Although I love the costumes, I am really more of a prop guy so I like to sit a study each piece in detail which takes up even more time..

Thank you for the question.
MARK
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

"If only you could see what I have seen with your eyes." :lol:
Mark Raats
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Mark Raats »

whipwarrior wrote:"If only you could see what I have seen with your eyes." :lol:
:rolling: :rolling:
BrandonA18
Vendor

Post by BrandonA18 »

Hi guys,

Like my good friend Mark, I've spent some time in the Ranch archives (I authored two books for Lucasfilm - Star Wars Costumes: The Original Trilogy and Star Wars Art: Ralph McQuarrie) and have had the opportunity to peruse some of the Indy material.

This is my understanding of the jackets they have:

Raiders - 2 jackets. One very clearly the Terry Leonard stunt jacket with small pockets, tear in arm (bullet hit), and heavy distressing on the back from dragging. The second possibly the Hawaii jacket? Likely wet at some time. The main jacket seen in the film is absolutely not in the Archives collection nor have I ever seen it in a private collection. There is one other Raiders jacket in a private collection but it is not the main hero. I've tried to investigate the story that Tony Nowak had access to a film-used Raiders jacket and no one seems to have concrete info on this - possibly incorrect, or perhaps he viewed one of the two they have in the Archives collection. Production documents from the time state there were six jackets for Raiders.

TOD - 3 jackets. One primary jacket seen extensively in the film (the "Noel Howard" being the other seen extensively one the film). One used for stunt work that also showed up on a stuntman in Last Crusade BTS stills. One completely clean, unweathered, and unused.

LC - I believe possibly only 1 jacket in the Archives currently -- with another out on display?

Mark if you saw a third jacket labeled for Raiders it may have been incorrect?

Hopefully more of this material will be seen by the world at some point...!

Best
Brandon
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

Interesting Brandon. Was the jacket Tony said he had access to from the Archives or was it a private collector's jacket? I never understood why Lucasfilm would lend a jacket to Tony in the first place.

It would be really interesting to learn more about the Leonard jacket with small pockets as this one fires up lots of people's imagination. Was it made by Wested or was it an original Western Costumes jacket which explains the odd appearance? What does it look like close up?
The Character
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by The Character »

Hi Mark,

Can i ask a question in relation to the archives and not just particularly Indy .. i have visited the archives though it was a long time ago .. even before the SW prequels ...

Do they actively try and keep the costumes in as good condition as they can? or do they just preserve and let them age naturally?.. i ask because we've all seen aged leather jackets in various states of disrepair but like all materials if the leathers are looked after, cleaned and fed or lotioned etc they should last longer no?
i guess what i'm asking is are they actively preserving these items or just carefully storing them?

When i was there it seemed like active storage only .. as in clean dry and dark .. but not taking them out. cleaning preserving etc ..

cheers

Al
Mark Raats
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Mark Raats »

BrandonA18 wrote: Mark if you saw a third jacket labeled for Raiders it may have been incorrect?
Folk, I should say immediately that Brandon's extensive experience regarding props and costumes - in addition to the books he has authored - makes him the expert here and not me.
Brandon in answer to your question mate, there were three jackets in the Raiders section but there was certainly a mixup because I only looked at the two you mentioned before discovering that there was (in addition to the 3 x jackets) also an LC jacket hanging there. I was distracted by the LC jacket and didn't look at the third "Raiders" jacket because the LC jacket had an interesting personal item from one of its pockets that is thought to have been Harrison's from during the LC filming - which was fascinating. I can't say any more about the other jacket other than that it looked in better condition than the two Raiders jackets but given that the out of place LC jacket was there, its highly likely that the 3rd one was also hanging in the wrong place.

I was told that there were 5 x LC jackets in the building (although I only saw 3 of them on my last visit) including the one with the Harrison item in the pocket.

There were definitely only 3 x TOD jackets but hanging with them was also a 4th very reddish jacket which I never took out or inspected.

CM, the Leonard jacket is in very poor repair indeed. The leather is hard and brittle and in addition to other very worn details, both rings are missing. There is no label in the neck so, it would require someone with far more knowledge then my rudimentary observations and understanding of the costumes to say who was responsible for making it.

Al, this is probably also a question best suited to Brandon given that he knows more about preserving and storing precious costumes then I ever will.

Are the items stored and preserved in museum-grade vacuum showcases? Definitely not but what I can say is that since you were there, extensive expansion and modernisation has taken place. most of the thousands of costumes from all the movies are stored in massive sliding cabinets and everything is very carefully detailed and stored. Restoration is of utmost importance for the amazing staff responsible for these treasures and while its impossible for every piece to be rejuvenated, talented specialists like Tom Spina are called in to rebuild and repair some of the pieces and the way this is done and the results that are achieved are simply amazing.

I am sure Brandon will offer more information if its appropriate. As I said a few posts above, perhaps this comment will help keep things in some kind of perspective:

"Its imperative to put all of this into some kind of context because I often read comments from folk who scream with indignation about the fact that the Archives might not know enough and that sometimes the information they have regarding the items is not always correct. The truth of the matter is that not only were the early jackets and props made in a rushed fashion - so some of the details have become lost and blurred over time - the jackets, fedora’s and bags also only form a very small part of the overall Archive inventory.

The details of their creation, model types and screen history is therefore often overwhelmed by the literally thousands of Vader, Leia and Willow props and costumes also contained in the collection - all of which demand the same level of attention and archiving that all of the Indy items deserve. Although this is not an excuse, it might serve to put into context the massive job the 2 x curators at the Archives have in documenting and preserving all of the items they have in their care..."

Cheers,
MARK
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

Thanks for the overview. Can't say I'm interested in the Star Wars stuff but the Indy jackets just sitting there waiting to be measured and photographed are very intriguing. One day maybe permission will be given. :TOH:
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

Sounds like the Hawaii jacket is in the archives. Wonder who has the main Hero (Tunisia) jacket, if GL or Ford kept it, or is it in the archives? The main Hero also has a distinct hole in the lower right map pocket, as can be seen on the cover of People mag-the photo of Karen Allen and Ford, after they crawled out of the well of souls. This is one definitive indicator other than the many features of it that we have kicked around for years, like the striations on the upper right chest and oddly shaped collar. I had thought that Ford did not keep the Raiders Hero? I wonder if SS would know the answer to that question?

What has been seen in film. (or outtakes)...

Hawaii
Bantu Wind-dock
Main Hero
TL stunt jacket
Vic ?

It appears the main Hero was used in the Raven scenes and could have been used throughout the Elstree Studios filming.

If you guys have a chance to browse through the archives again, it would be great to know if the bullet hole on the upper left arm could be the main Hero, or could we know if the main Hero is in the archives at all? Based on your information, it appears as though that possibly 3 jackets were made for Ford and 3 were made to be used in various and sundry ways by the stuntmen? Personally, I doubt the bullet hole jacket was the main Hero. I suspect it was an 'extra' or an earmarked stunt jacket? At least, maybe we could eliminate the possibility that the main is in the archives? I doubt it. I think maybe GL has it?

The critical juncture is what happened to the jacket after the Tunisia scenes were filmed. Ford gave it to a wardrobe guy, they packed it away, or maybe GL took it? Interesting little mystery there. By the sequence of filming, Tunisia was wrapped and then they flew to Hawaii to finish the outside scenes. The fact that the main (Tunisia) Hero was not used for the Hawaii sequence, tends to make me think that GL may have confiscated the jacket for his own personal collection? Ideally, by the time Hawaii was filmed, the main Hero would have been distinctive, with marks and distressing, used in the extremely hot weather and dust? Yet, what were they doing? The Hawaii sequence was the opening, and so the jacket need not look so distressed and dusty..?
Last edited by Texan Scott on Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
belloq
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by belloq »

I think it would be unlikely that the hero jacket was lost or given away contemporaneously. Similar to other GL/SS productions of the time, the main props and wardrobe would have been tracked and retained in the short term for at least promotional photo shoots after production, if not long term archiving (though I guess the hero fedora escaped somehow.) BTW, what version jacket and hat did Ford wear for the Raiders Rolling Stone cover? Was it all stunt pieces?
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

Speculation, but I think the main Hero was used throughout the Elstree studio (inside) set piece filming. As to all, no way of knowing. I do know the main was used in the RB. If you go to screen stills, the shot where KA grabs his lapel, you can see the striations on the upper right chest.
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

As far as I remember Ford had a LC jacket and that's it. He's certainly never been a collector of film stuff which is nice and refreshing.
Heyjude7
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Heyjude7 »

It’s been a long time but recently watched Raiders and it sparked my Indy jacket interest!
I am a proud owner of Tony Nowak’s Raiders jacket in 747 cowhide and always interested in the story of how he got a hold of a screen used jacket.
I looked back in the archives and all those wonderful pics of the original prototype that he made are gone.
I have questions and maybe someone can answer.
Did the original or any of the jackets from Raiders have the Berman and Nathan’s tag? I only see tags on other Indy jackets.
Indiego Jones
Vendor

Post by Indiego Jones »

Heyjude7 wrote:It’s been a long time but recently watched Raiders and it sparked my Indy jacket interest!
I am a proud owner of Tony Nowak’s Raiders jacket in 747 cowhide and always interested in the story of how he got a hold of a screen used jacket.
I looked back in the archives and all those wonderful pics of the original prototype that he made are gone.
Did the original or any of the jackets from Raiders have the Berman and Nathan’s tag? I only see tags on other Indy jackets.
Hi!
I'm happy to answer you.
No tag or labels on the last surviving Raiders jackets.
Not even signs (sewing holes) of labels being removed from lining.

Cheers.-
Heyjude7
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Heyjude7 »

Indiego Jones wrote:
Heyjude7 wrote:It’s been a long time but recently watched Raiders and it sparked my Indy jacket interest!
Hi!
I'm happy to answer you.
No tag or labels on the last surviving Raiders jackets.
Not even signs (sewing holes) of labels being removed from lining.

Cheers.-
Awesome Diego! thank you for the quick reply!
I have been out the jacket loop for a while. I went down the rabbit hole of jacket craziness a while back (ask Michaelson :M: )
I got back the Indy itch the other day after watching Raiders.
I am currently stationed in Japan and away from my jacket at the moment.
Looked at all the new makers and everything and like what I see.
S&J looks awesome and I like the details
Bill Kelso looks great too.
These days.. jackets are way out the price range. As Ive gotten older, my dress style has slightly changed and the "shortness" of the raiders cut may not suit me these days. I even thought about selling my Nowak Raiders but am super reserved about it due to I cant get another.
I think i'm more of a Last Crusade jacket these days!
sorry didn't mean to derail!
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

BrandonA18 wrote:Hi guys,

Like my good friend Mark, I've spent some time in the Ranch archives (I authored two books for Lucasfilm - Star Wars Costumes: The Original Trilogy and Star Wars Art: Ralph McQuarrie) and have had the opportunity to peruse some of the Indy material.

This is my understanding of the jackets they have:

Raiders - 2 jackets. One very clearly the Terry Leonard stunt jacket with small pockets, tear in arm (bullet hit), and heavy distressing on the back from dragging. The second possibly the Hawaii jacket? Likely wet at some time. The main jacket seen in the film is absolutely not in the Archives collection nor have I ever seen it in a private collection. There is one other Raiders jacket in a private collection but it is not the main hero. I've tried to investigate the story that Tony Nowak had access to a film-used Raiders jacket and no one seems to have concrete info on this - possibly incorrect, or perhaps he viewed one of the two they have in the Archives collection. Production documents from the time state there were six jackets for Raiders.

TOD - 3 jackets. One primary jacket seen extensively in the film (the "Noel Howard" being the other seen extensively one the film). One used for stunt work that also showed up on a stuntman in Last Crusade BTS stills. One completely clean, unweathered, and unused.

LC - I believe possibly only 1 jacket in the Archives currently -- with another out on display?

Mark if you saw a third jacket labeled for Raiders it may have been incorrect?

Hopefully more of this material will be seen by the world at some point...!

Best
Brandon
I do find it kind of tantalising that there is a question about how or if a screen used jacket got to Tony. My memory is that the Archives allowed Tony to have one for a few days. Wasn't that the story?
Heyjude7
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Heyjude7 »

What ever jacket he got he seemed to nail down the details pretty well. We could think and research from now until the end of time and never know.
I was looking through other threads today and read that the jacket he had was ripped up or falling apart. :-k
Heyjude7
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Heyjude7 »

I just think to get all the details down and make an exact copy of what we see on screen he had to have had an Original jacket.
Is the consensus that he did have a movie jacket and we just don’t know where from and who from ?
Maybe George Lucas asked him to fix the main hero one that’s falling apart ;)
Indiego Jones
Vendor

Post by Indiego Jones »

Heyjude7 wrote:What ever jacket he got he seemed to nail down the details pretty well. We could think and research from now until the end of time and never know.
I was looking through other threads today and read that the jacket he had was ripped up or falling apart. :-k
Heyjude7 wrote:I just think to get all the details down and make an exact copy of what we see on screen he had to have had an Original jacket.
Is the consensus that he did have a movie jacket and we just don’t know where from and who from ?
Tony had a screen-used jacket in hand, from the archives.

NOT the Main Hero. That one is lost.
It's another jacket, worn briefly by Harrison Ford.

And yes, the jacket IS ripped up AND falling apart.

Cheers.-
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

Heyjude7 wrote:I just think to get all the details down and make an exact copy of what we see on screen he had to have had an Original jacket.
I think the claim from Brendan above is that no confirmation is around to support the claim Tony had an archive jacket. Which is not the same thing as saying he did not have the jacket. But it is interesting that we have no names or details to back up the claim. It always seemed to be an unusual gesture of Lucasfilm to make to give Tony Nowak a hugely valuable jacket to copy so he could sell copies to fans.
Last edited by CM on Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

Indiego Jones wrote:
Heyjude7 wrote:What ever jacket he got he seemed to nail down the details pretty well. We could think and research from now until the end of time and never know.
Tony had a screen-used jacket in hand, from the archives.

NOT the Main Hero. That one is lost.
It's another jacket, worn briefly by Harrison Ford.

And yes, the jacket IS ripped up AND falling apart.

Cheers.-
What is your source that the hero jacket is lost?
Indiego Jones
Vendor

Post by Indiego Jones »

CM wrote:
We have contact with people at archives and private collectors.
(our research of the last year. here is the story: http://indygear.com/cow/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=70341" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

Perhaps I express myself wrongly.
What I meant to say is, it's lost for us (fans).

Not in the archives, and not on any known private collector.

If still exists, it's in possession of someone who has keep it for himself all this time.-
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

Indiego Jones wrote:
CM wrote:
We have contact with people at archives and private collectors.
(our research of the last year. here is the story: http://indygear.com/cow/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=70341" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

Perhaps I express myself wrongly.
What I meant to say is, it's lost for us (fans).

Not in the archives, and not on any known private collector.

If still exists, it's in possession of someone who has keep it for himself all this time.-
Thanks. I seem to remember reading a story here maybe 10 years ago that George Lucas had the hero on display in his home office or something similar.

So you think it has gone missing because it is not readily identified by some people you and others know at the Archives. It seems we need a short history or sticky: What Became of the Screen Used Jackets? - complete with confirmed sources or pathways described that led to those sources.

Indiego, the thread you posted above doesn't provide any evidence regarding any claims about the film jacket from what I can see. Even if you have to keep sources confidential, there could be much more information around the process employed to find this information.

In the end this gets interesting because of the claims made every so often that someone has seen a screen used jacket and used it to make a copy - from Tony Nowak, to the process which created the Gibson and Barnes version, much earlier.
Indiego Jones
Vendor

Post by Indiego Jones »

I'm working on the text (translation difficulties)

We will share all info we got on the research
Everything

I hope anytime soon.

Cheers.-
whiskyman
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by whiskyman »

Sometimes things vanish. Like Jimi Hendrix's hussar jacket, which based on my years' of searching, was last photographed at a free outdoor performance in San Francisco shortly after the Monterey pop concert. No info at all on where it went or why. Maybe the same is true for the Raiders Hero jacket. Maybe Stephen Stills owns both!
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IJJTM »

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zta6rggdNQs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Isn’t this the Raiders Jacket around the 15 minute mark?
Indiego Jones
Vendor

Post by Indiego Jones »

IJJTM wrote:https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zta6rggdNQs Isn’t this the Raiders Jacket around the 15 minute mark?
Smithsonian jacket (LAST CRUSADE Hero, Tank scene), "borrowed" to Hollywood Costume Exhibition.
An itinerant Exhibition done a few years back.-
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IJJTM »

Indiego Jones wrote:
IJJTM wrote:https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zta6rggdNQs Isn’t this the Raiders Jacket around the 15 minute mark?
Smithsonian jacket (LAST CRUSADE Hero, Tank scene), "borrowed" to Hollywood Costume Exhibition.
An itinerant Exhibition done a few years back.-
Ah I see it now, which hat would you say was used for that exhibit?
Indiego Jones
Vendor

Post by Indiego Jones »

IJJTM wrote: Ah I see it now, which hat would you say was used for that exhibit?
It looks like a CRYSTAL SKULL hat.-