Re: Bill Kelso's Relic Hunter

Post by Holt »

Great seeing you around Indakin. Its been ages! :TOH:
Tibor
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Tibor »

Excellent fit, and perfect look, Mulceber. Now, let's talk about your choice of hats... :TOH:
kozmoedave
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by kozmoedave »

BEAUTIFUL jacket.
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

Thanks guys! This jacket is phenomenal - I've worn it most days since I got it, and it's been a joy. I don't want to say I'm never getting another Indy jacket, but I think my quest for screen accuracy is done. I just don't think it's possible to get closer than BK has.
Tibor wrote:Excellent fit, and perfect look, Mulceber. Now, let's talk about your choice of hats... :TOH:
Huh...is this any better? :-k :P

Tibor
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Tibor »

That's better!!. ;)
Indakin
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indakin »

Great pics, and good to hear !

Yea a big part of my desire for another jacket, is just wanting something that fits a little more. Leaned up a bit more this year and plan to keep it that way. My US WINGS is still great, but i could use an even lighter option and more fit feel for everyday wear. Been updating my wardrobe a lot recently and want a certain look, which definitely includes a great indy jacket.

Think ill go with the Kelso... since patience is the way of the jedi..... some of them at least lol.

Any other issues with sizing to consider?
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

My advice would be to talk to Andy over email (rather than ordering through the website), as he’s really good at advising on size. He occasionally takes a couple days to respond, but he’s really helpful. Other than that, I’d just recommend you use the sizing guide on their website and give as much information as you can. :TOH:

So are you thinking a Cairo style jacket, or Peru?
Indakin
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indakin »

im not exaclty sure.... i was going to say the Peru....

The jacket on the website is the Peru version correct?

Does anyone have pictures of the pockets for the other versions?

is the rotating 360 version of the jacket the Cario version? Seems to have the more rounded pocket flaps
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

Nah, all the pictures on the BK site are from the Peru jacket. For comparison, here's the collar on the Cairo:

And, as you requested, here's a picture of the Cairo pocket:

There's no real wrong answer here: it's all down to what you want. The Cairo jacket was used for more scenes in the movie (Raven Bar, Well of Souls, Flying Wing, Truck Chase), but the Peru jacket was used in that great reveal where he steps out of the shadows after whipping the gun out of Baranca's hand. Either way you're getting a phenomenal jacket. Also, FYI, the Peru jacket is closer to the collar and pockets of the Wested Hero jacket. So if you're looking to diversify your collection, Cairo might be better. If you're a fan of the details of the Wested Hero jacket, then Peru is the way to go.
Indakin
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indakin »

thanks for those pics! The Peru version from Kelso is not like the "hero" version wested offers, in the sense that it hangs off the shoulders more.... correct?

any other fit differences to the different kelso jackets, like how the wested versions are different in how they hang?
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

Indakin wrote:thanks for those pics! The Peru version from Kelso is not like the "hero" version wested offers, in the sense that it hangs off the shoulders more.... correct?
Correct - sorry for the confusion. I was referring to similarities in the shape of the collar and the pocket flaps. The fit is the same, regardless of which of the two you get.

any other fit differences to the different kelso jackets, like how the wested versions are different in how they hang?
I think the BK site has a summary...here we go:

So I guess if you went for the Bantu Wind jacket, that might have a slightly different fit from the others, but the differences between the Peru...err...“South America” jacket and the Cairo jacket are purely cosmetic. :-k
Indakin
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indakin »

Thanks for overly stating things for me ! lol No joke though, i appreciate the effort to help :H:

Hmmm..... subtle differences to me.... Ehhh i make a decision soon lol. Thanks again
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

:TOH: Happy to help. I’m sure you’ll love whichever one you go for.
Screencapped
Vendor

Post by Screencapped »

Ok guys I'm not much of a jacket expert so I need your help identifying this BK I just bought second hand from a fellow member. From scanning the comments here I think it may be the "Cairo/hero" jacket from the looks of the collar though I'm not sure by any means. Which do you think it is based on these photos?

Sent from my SM-T280 using Tapatalk
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

This is based on the Cairo jacket. ( German mechanic scenes)

Great jacket!! :TOH:
Screencapped
Vendor

Post by Screencapped »

Holt wrote:This is based on the Cairo jacket. ( German mechanic scenes)

Great jacket!! :TOH:
Thanks alot Holt!

Frederick
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Frederick »

Nice jacket anindyjones. I can't believe someone would get rid of their BK. Good score for you. Maybe it was the wrong fit for them?
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

Frederick wrote:Nice jacket anindyjones. I can't believe someone would get rid of their BK. Good score for you. Maybe it was the wrong fit for them?
Sounds plausible. Could be a need for fast cash as well. There's all kinds of reasons these things happen. BTW, how goes your wait, Frederick? Have you gotten any news from Andy?
Screencapped
Vendor

Post by Screencapped »

Frederick wrote:Nice jacket anindyjones. I can't believe someone would get rid of their BK. Good score for you. Maybe it was the wrong fit for them?
He said he just wants a new jacket but it also has a spot on the sleeve which I think I can work on some to sort of make it less noticeable.

Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

You can probably use brown Pecards across the jacket to even out the color. :-k

Regards! Michaelson
Screencapped
Vendor

Post by Screencapped »

Michaelson wrote:You can probably use brown Pecards across the jacket to even out the color. :-k

Regards! Michaelson
Good idea. I'll try that before I attempt to apply the dye reducer I had originally planned to use.

Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

Your my size right?

Send it to me the day you decide to give her up :TOH:

btw, hows you diary prject coming along?
Screencapped
Vendor

Post by Screencapped »

Holt wrote:Your my size right?

Send it to me the day you decide to give her up :TOH:

btw, hows you diary prject coming along?
If it doesn't fit(it's a 46) I'll sell it to you for what I paid for it which is less than half what it retails for.

The diary project is on hold momentarily. I hope to get serious about it soon once I have the time to devote to it.

:TOH:
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

anindyjones wrote:
Michaelson wrote:You can probably use brown Pecards across the jacket to even out the color. :-k

Regards! Michaelson
Good idea. I'll try that before I attempt to apply the dye reducer I had originally planned to use.

Best of luck. :TOH: It'd be a shame to leave such a fine jacket with a blemish.
Screencapped
Vendor

Post by Screencapped »

Mulceber wrote:
anindyjones wrote:

Regards! Michaelson

Best of luck. :TOH: It'd be a shame to leave such a fine jacket with a blemish.
It already has a blemish(dark spot on sleeve in pic above) I guess you mean the possibility of making it worse by treating it?
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

No - isn't the point of the treatment to try to make the blemish disappear or at least look less noticeable? I'm just saying I hope it goes well. :TOH:
Screencapped
Vendor

Post by Screencapped »

Mulceber wrote:No - isn't the point of the treatment to try to make the blemish disappear or at least look less noticeable? I'm just saying I hope it goes well. :TOH:
It won't matter in the long run. I plan on weathering it some to give it more of an "Indy" look. I hate pretty IJ jackets. Pretty or shiny jackets are for James Bond not Indy. ;)
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

anindyjones wrote:
Mulceber wrote:No - isn't the point of the treatment to try to make the blemish disappear or at least look less noticeable? I'm just saying I hope it goes well. :TOH:
It won't matter in the long run. I plan on weathering it some to give it more of an "Indy" look. I hate pretty IJ jackets. Pretty or shiny jackets are for James Bond not Indy. ;)
True that - it'd be great to see some pics after you're done. That would be the first weathered BK jacket I've ever seen. I think most of us tremble at the thought of taking sandpaper or a wire brush to a jacket we £500 for.
Screencapped
Vendor

Post by Screencapped »

Mulceber wrote:
anindyjones wrote:
True that - it'd be great to see some pics after you're done. That would be the first weathered BK jacket I've ever seen. I think most of us tremble at the thought of taking sandpaper or a wire brush to a jacket we £500 for.
Ohhh there will be no sandpaper or wire brushes near my jacket! I can get decent results I think from washing it and using a little alcohol here and there. MAYBE I'll take the polishing stone to it which is akin to using 3000 grit sandpaper but nothing courser. I've learned my lesson years ago how quickly a jacket can be ruined with rough sand paper and the wire.

Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

Good to know in case I ever decide to age a leather jacket. Personally I think the striated lamb looks rather used out of the box (not rough and tumble weathered, but at least like someone's slept in it a few times), so I'm sitting pretty at the moment, but maybe some day. :TOH:
Frederick
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Frederick »

Mulceber wrote:
Sounds plausible. Could be a need for fast cash as well. There's all kinds of reasons these things happen. BTW, how goes your wait, Frederick? Have you gotten any news from Andy?
Hey Mulciber, still patiently waiting. :- :[ I heard from Andy last Monday/ Tuesday that it was scheduled to ship last week and that I will receive a tracking number when it does. No word since.
Good things take time I'm sure!

I'm sure it will arrive any day now. I will be letting you all know as soon as it arrives here in pretty little NZ. :TOH:
Frederick
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Frederick »

UPDATE: I just received an email from Andy, true to his word he did in fact send my jacket last week on Wednesday... so it could be any day now... \:D/
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

Congrats! I’ll look forward to seeing pictures!
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

Frederick wrote:UPDATE: I just received an email from Andy, true to his word he did in fact send my jacket last week on Wednesday... so it could be any day now... \:D/
Kinda ironic, that sheep is going home...
Frederick
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Frederick »

Kt Templar wrote:
Frederick wrote:UPDATE: I just received an email from Andy, true to his word he did in fact send my jacket last week on Wednesday... so it could be any day now... \:D/
Yup :[ I've probably met it's family. Lots of sheep here.
Indiego Jones
Vendor

Post by Indiego Jones »

Kt Templar wrote:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: excelent!
You made me laugh at the end of a crappy office day. Thanks!
Frederick wrote: Yup :[ I've probably met it's family. Lots of sheep here.
You probably ATE it's family.... :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

Man, that got dark quickly... :roll: :lol:
CRB
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by CRB »

senorjacob wrote:FYI... I visited the American Classics store in London a few days ago and they have a size 40 relic hunter on the rack waited to get snatched up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I popped in for a look the other day - £800 ! For a Relic. And it wasn't horse hide. That's some cheek, they are only £500 on BK's website.
senorjacob
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by senorjacob »

Oh man. I didn’t look at the price. That’s crazy expensive.
Frederick
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Frederick »

It has arrived folks! Photos and review to follow! \:D/
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

Congrats, Frederick! I’ll look forward to the review.
Frederick
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Frederick »

All right people, for those that have been waiting...I got round to taking some photos today, I've been snowed under with work so I got a little break this friday afternoon to whip up a few images and a review. Maybe for ease I'll follow our friend Mulceber and categorize it for ease of reading.
To give you a little background I already own a 2015 Wested Hero that I love, it fits me great however the oversized shoulders got to me a little bit in the end. So I thought it was time for a jacket and I thought why not go the whole 9 yards and get a BK (Cairo) that everyone is raving about. Apart from a more fitted jacket in the shoulders I wanted a better drape in my jacket, I never quite felt my Wested Hero provided that no matter the distressing. So... thus began the purchasing journey.
So... if you're anything like me you do your homework as much as possible before ordering, research, reading & I measured and measured and measured and not to mention the invaluable help of a few members that I will thank later for their help/guidance in this post during this journey.
Please understand that I did my best to review it as a stand alone Indy Jacket but having only previously owned my Wested Hero jacket there will be some comparisons made. So here we go...

Communication/Order
My communication/inquiry at the start with Andy was slow tbh, at times a response from him would take up to a week but I must mention that some of the frustration could be a combination of one's impatience in the pursuit of a hobby and Andy did state at one stage they had a computer crash. Upon placing my order Andy was fantastic with answering any sizing questions and he was able to accomodate a shoulder sizing inquiry that I had and was able to make adjustments, one that I was glad I asked. From the date of order to shipping took 10.5 weeks - no qualms there, longer than some shorter than others.

First Impressions
Big tick! When it had arrived I held the box I thought, did they forget to the put the jacket in? It felt that light to me however after careful cutting it was in the box and the first thing I did was quickly measure it with a tape measurer and everything was exactly as ordered! I tried the jacket on it sat like a dream, soft leather that really compliments your body shape and that familiar leather smell, equally as pleasant as Wested's leather smell but the jacket's smell reminded me of the leather jacket's my uncle used to wear.
I did notice a big colour shift between the Wested and BK, where the Wested to me resembles a Dark Chocolate the BK is a milk chocolate.
I also asked for little to no striations and there are strong hints of it throughout, enough to resemble the inherent texture of the jacket although next time I might ask for a bit more striations however I am very happy with the hide, it's certainly doesn't have the smooth appearance of the Wested has when it's new out of the box.

Fit
A big tick here. I've heard members say that a BK molds to your body and that the cut is different to a Wested? I find the cut is identical and that the reason why it probably feels like it fits better is because the leather is so much lighter thus the jacket won't roll around as much, it sits and it stays, where a heavier hide will have more movement/hang. As a result of a lighter/softer hide in the BK it drapes very well and matches what you see on raiders.

Colour
No tick here. This is the only *sigh* I will have with this jacket that it certainly is lighter in shade than Wested's colour that I much prefer in terms of being SA. Yes in certain shades it does appear darker however 90% of the time in natural daylight it doesn't. This won't stop me from wearing it though. Even going through the posts here I have seen some colour discrepancies, this could be however due to different lighting conditions of when the images were taken or perhaps different colours in leather batches? So in terms of colour I would say it's not accurate to my eyes, in fact I'd almost say that it has a ever so slight burgundy hue.
As a professional photographer I took a few here for comparison here and what you see very well matches what I see with my natural eye...

Flashed Light:

Natural (indirect) daylight:

Jacket construction/Details
Ummm. For a company that displays a high level of perfection there were a few things I felt were amiss. Minor things however I'll mention it. One was the coat hanger loop on inside of the collar and also a few cuts in the leather, etc.
With the Wested jacket the coat hanger loop is stitched into the collar and is covered with the seam on the opposite side so when you pop your collar the stitching is not visible. With the BK the loop is stitched right through, it felt like the loop was an afterthought and was sewn in and now is visible on the opposite side. Please forgive me if this is SA or historically correct however I felt the Wested wins points here for construction.

Comparison of BK (left) & Wested Hero (right) collars:

Also there were a few nicks (cuts) on the side of both pockets in exactly the same spot, maybe it was a bit of carelessness with a blade during construction?:

Image Image

Also interesting to see the brass zipper lining with a silver coloured zip puller. We know the zippers were painted in raiders however I thought it would be one or the other, maybe it was expected that the zip puller wasn't painted thus remained silver, if that's the case then great attention to detail there! :-k

Oh and be careful not to spill food or liquid on your jacket, where you can wipe your Wested clean with a cloth and it's fine the BK will need a little extra care and drying time to have the colour return back to uniformity. In fact don't get it wet at all as it will seriously dry out your jacket. So for those rainy nights leave your jacket at home. For this fact I would take greater care of my BK than with my Wested with which I can take and go and climb a mountain. ;)
If you look closely (at the last image of the front of the jacket) you might see a few tiny stains thanks to yours truly but this can all be attributed to natural distressing. No problems here and totally understandable as the leather is something phenomenal!

One other thing I found to be quite interesting were the choice of snaps used, I must say the Wested snaps grew on me as it has a more authentic feel however I was self corrected when I noticed the BK's type of snaps match those used in LC. Interesting. Perhaps some scholars could shed light on the historical nature of the snaps used?

Following image are the Wested pocket snaps

Following image are the BK Relic Hunter snaps

Here are the LC snaps

One thing I did love was the now familiar B&M tag inside the jacket - all too cool!

Summary
In short I think the BK Relic Hunter is a fantastic jacket, Andy was great to work with and produces an amazing product. The big thing that BK has going for them is the quality of their leather and the fit/ cut of the material of the jacket, their work/provision is impeccable there. That leather drapes oh so well and I'm ecstatic about the fit and the black buckles used (why Wested still insist on their brass ones I don't know).
The drawbacks would be that with such a price tag the construction lacked. The colour of the jacket did not match what I had come to know as the Indy colour and I think other vendors nail this.

Would I order it again? That's a big Yes, the only thing I would request is the possibility of a darker colour in the leather. But for now I'm very satisfied.

So here are a few images of me:

Image Image Image

Just one more of a closer look at the front, texture, grain etc.:

Thank you so much for your help members: Bartram, Glenville86, Duck9000, Forrest For The Trees, KT Temlar, Bdgsi11, Canasta! You all helped to calm my nerves ](*,) and gave me great assurances [-o< when needed. :clap: :TOH: :H:
Last edited by Frederick on Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:21 pm, edited 4 times in total.
bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by bearbeast »

Great review, love all the details! Nice jacket, nice pictures! :TOH:
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

Great review. Good fit, looks like the Cairo jacket. Looking forward to getting my Raiders jacket from wested with their NZ ribby lamb to see how it compares in colour etc.
Ride Guy
Staff Emeritus

Post by Ride Guy »

Nice Review. I have a BK Relic Hunter Cairo and concur with the more chocolate-esque color. I've found that an application of Pecard's brown tinted dressing really helps bring it closer to perceived screen color as well as help for weather proofing.

Ride Guy
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

Congrats on the new jacket, Frederick, and thanks for treating us to that great review. I'm sorry to hear you found some problems in the construction. I haven't noticed any such problems in mine, but I haven't gone over it with a fine-toothed comb. At first I was put off a little bit by the color as well, but after a few weeks, I actually prefer it: I like colors that appear differently in different lights, and I find most of the time it has a darker brown look to it. And, tbh, the gray undertones of wested's hides always bugged me a bit.

Either way, enjoy it!
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

Re:The colour. I see what you mean in the picture with it hanging next to the Wested Hero, but in the pictures of you wearing it, it looks pretty much correct. Minus the distressing and dirt and whatever else may have contributed to the look of the jackets in the film.
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

xmasters wrote:Re:The colour. I see what you mean in the picture with it hanging next to the Wested Hero, but in the pictures of you wearing it, it looks pretty much correct. Minus the distressing and dirt and whatever else may have contributed to the look of the jackets in the film.
Don't forget that a majority of the scenes we see the jacket in are dimly lit: he's in the shade for most of the opening sequence, the raven bar mostly has firelight, then we don't see it again until the Imam's house and the opening of the Well of Souls. The flying Wing sequence is the first time we see it in sunlight, unless we count the couple of seconds on Jock's plane, when it's wet, and therefore probably looking darker anyway.
Last edited by Mulceber on Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Frederick
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Frederick »

Thanks for your comments team.

Ride Guy - that's a great tip. I might get a can on hand for a 'rainy day'. Under the care and maintaince tab on the BK website it gives a great overview of the required care for the leather. The jacket I would regard more of a dress jacket than a throw around/ travel jacket for now. Maybe give a few weeks when "the new car has a few scratches on it."

Mulceber/Xmasters - Good points raised. You're right that the colour is something different and quite possibly SA and I actually do enjoy the jacket very much. I'll take you up on that to enjoy the colour and I'll wait a long while and see how it naturally distresses and perhaps if it requires any restorative treatment I might attempt to it one shade darker with Ride Guy's method.

My wife looked at me when I got the jacket and she said: "It looks exactly the same to me as your wested except that it's a lighter brown" and she likes the BK colour so that's a plus.
I do find myself taking it out of the wardrobe just to be behold it. Won't let my kids near it. ;)

I would love to know from members re their thoughts on how the BK's leather compares to SJ ribby merino and Wested's brand new NZ lambskin.