Jack no longer at hj

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

IndyFan89
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Re: Jack no longer at hj

Post by IndyFan89 »

I’m wondering how this would effect the floppyness of the felt. Would a triple blocked hat be stiff?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jack@hatter
Vendor

Post by Jack@hatter »

IndyFan89 wrote:I’m wondering how this would effect the floppyness of the felt. Would a triple blocked hat be stiff?

No.

Stiffener does this. You can still have a dense body that is floppy.

Hope that helps. Any further questions just let me know.

Regards jack.
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

Jack@hatter wrote:Good points.

I have already been experimenting with the process for some time. It has yielded fairly good results. The key is in the other order ironing. As with ribbon, well it's just a client service option.
As for hand stitched sweats all of these hats will be completely hand made, hopefully with a three week lead time.
You can use a back stitch on sewing sweats. This keeps the tension on every single stitch. However I prefer a hand lock stitch.

Many thanks for your input and ten cents.

Appreciated.

:H: :H:

Jack
If you have the hand-sewn sweats, I think you'll be the only hatter in Europe that does that (AB Deluxe being effectively defunct at this point). That would be a great way to make some inroads. :D
Jack@hatter
Vendor

Post by Jack@hatter »

I think advintage do.

And for my money he makes great hats.

Hand sewn I what I've always done. I'm actually looking forward to being able to spend the time doing if it proves fruitful.
It can be done properly using a dedicated sweatband machine. However most manufacturers sew directly through the biase on a regular cylinder arm machine. A cost cutting measure.

Regards jack.
Castor Dioscuri
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Castor Dioscuri »

Jack, now that you're flying solo, I am curious if the blocks that were discovered are now exclusive to Herbert Johnson? In other words, will you still will be using the same blocks moving forward, or will your hats be made on a different block shape now? And similarly, will you be going through the same felt supplier that was originally offered, or a different one? And if so, how do they compare?
Jack@hatter
Vendor

Post by Jack@hatter »

Castor Dioscuri wrote:Jack, now that you're flying solo, I am curious if the blocks that were discovered are now exclusive to Herbert Johnson? In other words, will you still will be using the same blocks moving forward, or will your hats be made on a different block shape now? And similarly, will you be going through the same felt supplier that was originally offered, or a different one? And if so, how do they compare?

In answer to your question the blocks that hj have are copies of my poet blocks, which are copies of the original.

When I started at hj I took all my suppliers with me. I will be using the same. I have been working with them a long time. Felt quality will be the same.

Anything else I can help you with?

Regards jack..
Jack@hatter
Vendor

Post by Jack@hatter »

As an add on

I have some old felt stock. About 5 Raiders bodies and 5 clipper bodies. I'm of the opinion that I'd like to offer these bodies to members only to road test and review. I think it's a good idea to do this before I launch myself proper.

These hats will be plain liners and sweats, however I will sign the inside.

I will offer them out for 100 pounds each, mostly to thank the community, but also so some cash strapped members can get their hands on a handmade fedora.

Any questions just let me know.

And again, thank you for the positive support.

Regards jack.
senorjacob
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by senorjacob »

Wow. That’s a super generous offer. If I hadnt already bought an HJ I would definitely take you up on this.
Adventure Dog
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Adventure Dog »

Jack@hatter wrote:I have some old felt stock. About 5 Raiders bodies and 5 clipper bodies.

I will offer them out for 100 pounds each, mostly to thank the community, but also so some cash strapped members can get their hands on a handmade fedora.
Wow, what a generous offer! You're about to make 10 members very happy! Are they rabbit bodies?
Howard Weinstein
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Howard Weinstein »

Jack@hatter wrote:Hi guys.

I've not been on here for a while and I've just had the opportunity to read through the threads. ...

Ask and I'll get back to you sooner or later.

Regards

Jack.
Jack -- While I wasn't able to purchase one of your HJ hats, I always enjoyed your posts on the history of the hats and on your current production efforts. I saw some of the negativity directed your way, and it seemed uncalled for. I hope the overall experience was more pleasant than not for you. And I (and many others) appreciate your participation in forums like this one, and your sharing what you knew and learned about the HJ Indiana Jones hats. Good luck to you!
Howard Weinstein
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Jack@hatter wrote:Hi guys.

Sorry it's taken me a while to get back you. My apologies.

Firstly I would like to thank you for all the positive response I have received. I have also had to think very hard about independently entering the "indy" hat business. It's a very competitive market to enter as there are some absolutely astounding hatters out there who are a credit to the trade and craft. Which in our industry is what we need. More hatters. To keep the industry going. Some people's first gateway hat, is a fedora from one of the many talented vendors.
I think that's great.
It keeps the felters and hat components businesses "in" business.

And that's important.
Also I have noticed over time that indy fans put their hats through far more punishment than the regular hat wearer. Adventure is punishing.

In the face of so much competition the only thing I can do is create a hat that performs to the very specific needs of this community.
If it's needed.
I have a mind to triple block every hat body. Blocking, pouncing, in triplicate to cure and stabilise the felt by felting it further by creating a more denser rigid body that retains its shape. Leaving more time between reblocks.
A durable and imperishable sweat. High quality but with a slight increase in weight to sustain more wear.
A spare liner
A spare length of ribbon plus bow.
Hopefully this will equip people for whatever happens within the first year of ownership.

And of course ultra fine pouncing finish.

On my part I'm in two minds. Although I rather like the idea of producing a range of 30s 50s inspired hats.
Prices would be 200 pounds for rabbit 250 for Beaver. Blocking 50 pounds (that's full reblock and iron)

Of course the blocks are in three size heights to accommodate Shape and body.

As always I am open to any questions and feedback.

If successful I forsee three to four months to implement.

Kind regards

Jack.
Seconding (thirding?) what others have said, I suspect your plans outlined above -- especially with those thoughtful and practical extras like spare liner and ribbon -- would help you build a loyal following among this group of hat buyers!
LRGS
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by LRGS »

Jack@hatter wrote:As an add on

I have some old felt stock. About 5 Raiders bodies and 5 clipper bodies. I'm of the opinion that I'd like to offer these bodies to members only to road test and review. I think it's a good idea to do this before I launch myself proper.

These hats will be plain liners and sweats, however I will sign the inside.

And again, thank you for the positive support.

Regards jack.
I'd love to be on the list for one of the raiders ones, if am not too late. What a great offer, Jack.
Charybdis
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Charybdis »

Just in case, I checked the exchange rate for British pounds and US dollars. 100 pounds today is right at about $131 USD!! What a fantastic price for a handmade hat!!

I'm done with buying hats myself, but this is a real bargain. I hope many take advantage of this offer.
Jack@hatter
Vendor

Post by Jack@hatter »

A couple of clippers up for grabs.

One Raiders. Crusade felt left.

Felt is 130 gm Portuguese felt. Highest manufactured quality.

Regards jack
Somerset fox
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Somerset fox »

Jack@hatter wrote:A couple of clippers up for grabs.

Regards jack
Can I put in for a 'Raiders' please, if the hat size stretches to a 59. Otherwise I'll wait for the next production run
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Best to give him your actual head measurement in millimeters rather than a hat size. He'll get closer to a correct fit.

He's making you a custom hat here, not a production version. ;)

Regards! Michaelson
Jack@hatter
Vendor

Post by Jack@hatter »

Somerset fox wrote:

Regards jack
Can I put in for a 'Raiders' please, if the hat size stretches to a 59. Otherwise I'll wait for the next production run

Sure fox, 59 is no problem.

What I will do is collate these pre orders until the end of this week. Post up a sample. So folks know exactly what they're getting.

And process the orders next week. Expect delivery mid November.

Regards jack
Jack@hatter
Vendor

Post by Jack@hatter »

Michaelson wrote:Best to give him your actual head measurement in millimeters rather than a hat size. He'll get closer to a correct fit.

Regards! Michaelson

Sage advice from Michaelson.

Regards jack
Woodsrunner79
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Woodsrunner79 »

Jack, please put me down for a raiders. I'll pm you measurements in a bit.

Cheers, Jordan.
IndyFan89
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by IndyFan89 »

Jack, just following up on our PM convo to confirm I’m down for one of these hats. Thanks!

DanielP
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by DanielP »

Pmed yesterday, waiting for response.

Regards jack
IndyFan89
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by IndyFan89 »

I imagine his inbox is slammed.

Jack@hatter
Vendor

Post by Jack@hatter »

Hi guys.

All Raiders bodies are taken. A few clippers left.

Thanks for your interest and support. And of course thanks to the gear community at large.

I'll get back to you all within the next 24 hours to confirm.

Any questions or comments just let me know and I'll do my best to answer you.

Thanks in advance.

Jack
RJR
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by RJR »

Jack,are all the clipper felts gray?
Jack@hatter
Vendor

Post by Jack@hatter »

RJR wrote:Jack,are all the clipper felts gray?

Hi there,

Indeed they are.

Regards jack
Woodsrunner79
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Woodsrunner79 »

Hi, jack. I reached out to you on the 10th. Can you let me know if you received my pm.

Cheers, Jordan.
IndyFan89
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by IndyFan89 »

Also wondering if my Pm was received. Sent it on the 9th. Thanks!

IndyFan89
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by IndyFan89 »

Has anyone heard from Jack?

Jack@hatter
Vendor

Post by Jack@hatter »

Hi guys.

My sincerest apologies for the delay in getting back. I have moved house last week. Also, I have a large backlog of emails to deal with and pre orders. Ultimately this means I have had to register my self as a business, the tax man would wonder why all this finance was coming from. And of course this is the correct way to do this.
Secondly I would like to thank you all for the huge response I've had. In fact I'm overwhelmed at the response.

It's very much appreciated.

Over the next few days I will be getting back to all of you. Some of you will be disappointed as you did not make this run.

This run of hats will be delivered in November. I will be contacting everyone about payment and you will be issued an order number for reference.

Due to popularity I will do a second run in beaver. I have tweeked the colour somewhat for accuracy. Again I will be offering ten bodies. These will not be finished in time for Christmas. They might maybe, we'll see. I'm just going to commit to these orders for now.

In the next few weeks /month I will set up a web page and Facebook. Every so often I will showcase the talents if another gear member.

Thanks for your patience, and the huge response. You won't be disappointed.

I'm very grateful.

Regards jack
yellowduke
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by yellowduke »

Best of luck with the new business Jack. Hope I made the cut for one of your new run of hats!
Adventure Dog
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Adventure Dog »

Hey Jack!

Good luck on all of your endeavors! it seems that life always presents new challenges in batches, rather than in well timed waves. We all appreciate your good will towards this community!

I am not a MODERATOR, but if you plan on doing another pre-order or special run of hats, it would be very beneficial to open a thread in the CRESCENT MOON EMPORIUM portion of the CLASSIFIEDS section, which should generate more views than this thread. (That being said, if you are doing a special run of hats in beaver, similar to the one you just did with the 5 Raiders Rabbit felts and the 5 Clipper bodies, I would like to be on that list :TOH: .)
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Him being a vendor, the section he would post a list in should be in the vendors section. (Being a mod has nothing to do with a great suggestion!) ;)
Totally agree that would be the way to bring interest, as it is getting lost in this thread.

Regards! Michaelson
Jack@hatter
Vendor

Post by Jack@hatter »

Ah ok. Do folks frequent there more often than these threads.

Thanks for your understanding.

Regards jack.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Specifically, the list of names for sales is best handled in the vendors section, where the hat discussions stay here.

Regards! Michaelson
Jeremiah
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Jeremiah »

Put me down for a Beaver raiders please.
Jack@hatter
Vendor

Post by Jack@hatter »

No problem Jeremiah.

Regards jack
Ripper
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Ripper »

Jack@hatter wrote:No problem Jeremiah.

Regards jack
Are the clipper bodies gone ?

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
IndyFan89
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by IndyFan89 »

Jack could you please notify me if I made the original Rabbit list? I originally spoke with you on Oct 8th before you mentioned it in this thread and haven’t heard back. Thanks!

Jack@hatter
Vendor

Post by Jack@hatter »

Hi IndyFan89

You did.
All the rest of you don't worry ill get back to you today. As I mentioned I have been inundated with requests for which I'm very grateful. Not just here on the forum but through other portals as well.

In order to fulfil these pre orders I'm going to have to place a new order for felt because I've had so many requests . I'm doing my best to please.

I'm actually overwhelmed at the response. Thanks to all of you who messaged s emailed me. I'm working very hard to get things up and running. As quickly as I can.

Be patient and I "will" get back to you.
IndyFan89
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by IndyFan89 »

Jack@hatter wrote:Hi IndyFan89

You did.
All the rest of you don't worry ill get back to you today. As I mentioned I have been inundated with requests for which I'm very grateful. Not just here on the forum but through other portals as well.

In order to fulfil these pre orders I'm going to have to place a new order for felt because I've had so many requests . I'm doing my best to please.

I'm actually overwhelmed at the response. Thanks to all of you who messaged s emailed me. I'm working very hard to get things up and running. As quickly as I can.

Be patient and I "will" get back to you.
Thank you, thank you, thank yoooouuu!!! Can’t wait.

cowboy827
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by cowboy827 »

I haven't visited the forum in quite a while, so I apologize for the late response.

Jack made my HJ Raiders, and it's absolutely fantastic. I love it. I'm sure his work will continue to reflect that quality, and I wish him the best of luck in his new endeavors.

A little over a year ago, I left an established business to start my own. I understand the stress of striking out on one's own, and the fact that so many clients followed me is more rewarding than I can say.

Jack, I appreciate your entrepreneurial spirit, and I wish you great success.
Castor Dioscuri
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Castor Dioscuri »

I wonder how this is going? Not to sound inpatient, but this is exciting stuff! :D
IndyFan89
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by IndyFan89 »

I hope everything is still going okay.

Jeremiah
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Jeremiah »

So what happened here?
IndyFan89
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by IndyFan89 »

Jack is very ill and currently going through treatments so idk what’s going to happen but you can contact him on Facebook under Jack Crud.

whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

He’s such a nice guy, and a true gentleman. My thoughts and prayers are with him. I hope he pulls through.
Jeremiah
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Jeremiah »

Sorry to hear about that. Hope he gets well.
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

Sorry to hear that - I hope he gets well soon.
eazybox
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by eazybox »

Get well soon, Jack. That's what is most important. :TOH:
Howard Weinstein
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Hats can wait -- wishing Jack a speedy recovery!