How to distress a WPG bag?

Discuss technique for prolonging the life of your gear or giving it that aged look

Moderator: Dalexs

giantthugee86
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by giantthugee86 »

Anyone have any tips? (Besides just putting things in it).
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Re: How to distress a WPG bag?

Post by Michaelson »

Tell it you're not taking it out of the box it came in? :-k

:CR:

Sorry, weird mood this afternoon. ;)

Regard! Michaelson
giantthugee86
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by giantthugee86 »

What do you mean? I've had it for a couple years. lol
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

:lol:
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

I literally made up some muddy salt water and left my bag in it in a rubbermaid in the summer heat for a day, then let it dry naturally in the sun. Scuffed it a bit here and there. I've since gotten a new strap but I wont distress a MIJ strap. No way no how!
giantthugee86
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by giantthugee86 »

ChrisMD wrote:I literally made up some muddy salt water and left my bag in it in a rubbermaid in the summer heat for a day, then let it dry naturally in the sun. Scuffed it a bit here and there. I've since gotten a new strap but I wont distress a MIJ strap. No way no how!
Where do I get muddy salt water? :-k lol
Tennessee Smith
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tennessee Smith »

If you want to lighten it up I've used Ajax with water and a hard scrub brush. I made a thick paste of it and scrubbed the heck out of it. Then rinsed and let air dry. :TOH:
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

giantthugee86 wrote:
ChrisMD wrote:I literally made up some muddy salt water and left my bag in it in a rubbermaid in the summer heat for a day, then let it dry naturally in the sun. Scuffed it a bit here and there. I've since gotten a new strap but I wont distress a MIJ strap. No way no how!

You put salt, and dirt into a bucket, and add water.
giantthugee86
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by giantthugee86 »

ChrisMD wrote:
giantthugee86 wrote:

You put salt, and dirt into a bucket, and add water.
Thanks...now I need dirt. :-k
Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

Scrubbing with water mixed with regular ol' Woolite or other mild laundry soap will lighten the color of originals as well. I haven't seen an original MK VII that was super colorfast yet.
giantthugee86
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by giantthugee86 »

Cajunkraut wrote:Scrubbing with water mixed with regular ol' Woolite or other mild laundry soap will lighten the color of originals as well. I haven't seen an original MK VII that was super colorfast yet.
I don't want to lighten the color. I want to get rid of the yellowish hue...something darker actually and more like the films. Anyone have any ideas?
Tennessee Smith
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tennessee Smith »

You'll need some rit dye for that. You may have to use color remover first then re-dye it. :-k
The Character
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by The Character »

There are a couple of things to note which I've found useful

1/ I would not dye it .. you'll regret it and it won't look right. They all have a yellowish tinge and vary in colour ..
2/ Don't artificially distress it .. it will loosen up quickly and lose the stiffness by itself. softening it up too much will cause it to lose its shape. Just use it.
3/ Put some form of wax dressing (Barbour Thornproof Dressing is very good) on the webbing parts that the metal rings attach to .. This really helps the keep the webbing robust which is usually VERY dry from storage and frays and disintegrates very easy after time.
4/ In theory you can remove the internal front full divider and the half height cross divider.. i do this with a scalpel and very carefully cut the stitches to remove both panels.
5/ Ive not done it but scotch guard may prove useful as they pick up colour from clothing (jeans) really easily .. and its a pain to get out. Scotch guard may also darken it up a little for you.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Items 3 and 5 are VERY good suggestions.....especially item 3!

Regards! Michaelson
The Character
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by The Character »

I had a brand new bag that the cotton disintegrated on after just weeks ... the material was so old and dried out it fell apart. next bag (current one) i waxed the cotton webbing parts and its like magic .. it really helps the webbing strength and durability .. no issues at all.

just take your time and don't get the wax on other areas of the bag ,... well .. unless you want it TOTALLY waterproofed! lol
giantthugee86
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by giantthugee86 »

The Character wrote:There are a couple of things to note which I've found useful

1/ I would not dye it .. you'll regret it and it won't look right. They all have a yellowish tinge and vary in colour ..
2/ Don't artificially distress it .. it will loosen up quickly and lose the stiffness by itself. softening it up too much will cause it to lose its shape. Just use it.
3/ Put some form of wax dressing (Barbour Thornproof Dressing is very good) on the webbing parts that the metal rings attach to .. This really helps the keep the webbing robust which is usually VERY dry from storage and frays and disintegrates very easy after time.
4/ In theory you can remove the internal front full divider and the half height cross divider.. i do this with a scalpel and very carefully cut the stitches to remove both panels.
5/ Ive not done it but scotch guard may prove useful as they pick up colour from clothing (jeans) really easily .. and its a pain to get out. Scotch guard may also darken it up a little for you.
Thanks!