Jacket lining preference

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Tinplatejeff
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Jacket lining preference

Post by Tinplatejeff »

What do people prefer for their jacket lining?

A). All cotton lining including sleeves.

Or

B). Cotton body with satin sleeves.

All cotton is screen accurate for Raiders and most durable.

Satin sleeves provide more comfort.

I'm trying to decide for my S&J order.

Thanks.

:-k
Frederick
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Re: Jacket lining preference

Post by Frederick »

I remember years ago I read somewhere here that satin wears out quicker than cotton. Yes the jacket probably slides on better but I've seen my satin wear out (interior elbow area) after 2 years of regular wear, every so slightly.
Regarding heat insulation of satin vs cotton I'm not too sure??
Ps: I have cotton with satin sleeve lining.
The Character
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by The Character »

Go cotton .. the satin in the sleeves falls apart easily .. if you intend a lot of use or are going to distress it with water etc then go cotton .. it lasts far far longer ..
Glenville86
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Glenville86 »

I like all cotton but satin sleeves are handy putting the jacket on if you wear long sleeve shirts.

I have both and have not seen additional wear with the satin sleeves but I rotate my jackets.
The Character
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by The Character »

I had a satin lining in one TOD and satin Sleeves in another and both failed well before the cotton even got to the stage of looking worn.

I take your point though ... you can tell you're another Jacket Junkie like myself just from the fact you actually say 'Jacket rotation' in regards to them! lol ....
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

As has been mentioned above, it really depends on season and shirt wear.

Short sleeve, cotton all the way, as satin can stick to the arms if perspiring.....but long sleeve, satin sleeve lining for ease of putting on.

Cotton lining over long sleeves can sometime be difficult at best to pull on.

Never 'all satin'! The jacket slides all OVER you unless you have it zipper, and even then it's slick!

Regards! Michaelson
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

Satin sleeves, for sure. I know that they might wear out faster, but getting a jacket on that has cotton sleeves turns into an epic struggle, especially if the shirt is cotton, too. And forget about layering! The last time I wore a jacket with cotton sleeve lining, I was still fighting to get it lay right when it was time to take it off.

I say, chance having to replace the sleeve lining. The odds of that may vary by usage and jacket maker.
Charybdis
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Charybdis »

Although I mostly wear my jackets with short sleeves underneath, my preference is still satin for the sleeves. Let's face it, if you are wearing a jacket, then it's going to be some what chilly outside so you will not sweat as much. And when you want the convenience of a long sleeve shirt underneath, the satin comes in handy as outlined by many in the posts above...
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

True, but if it's chilly, you're usually not wearing a short sleeve shirt either. ;)

But you're in Florida, so do you even own a long sleeve shirt? :-k ;)

That said, you're absolutely right. It varies from person to person, location to location, and no opinion is wrong here.

It's all subjective, and that's why this hobby is so neat! We're ALL right......unless we're wrong. :Plymouth:

Regards! M
Marv
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Marv »

I have both, custom Raiders with cotton body & satin sleeves and the Hero with all cotton.

I am used to all cotton as that's what the A2 has, I have five of them.
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

I agree that it's definitely easier to put a jacket on with satin sleeves. However cotton sleeves are quite nice if you're just wearing the jacket on top of a T-Shirt.
Tinplatejeff
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Tinplatejeff »

Thanks everyone for their opinions!

I will primarily wear with long sleeve cotton shirts.

Certainly with my Azuma Indy long sleeve cotton shirt.

And if Harrison Ford could do it with cotton sleeves and shirts, what excuse do we have?!

Still thinking ...

](*,)
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

I've always opted for 100% cotton lining for durability, regardless of climate (and it's usually sweltering down here in the Deep South about 85 percent of the year). It's only useful as a 2-season jacket (autumn & winter) and only if the weather is suitably cool enough. I wear short-sleeve shirts most of the time, and I just automatically smooth down the scrunched-up sleeves into the arm of the jacket by default; and I do the finger pinch cuff grip for the occasions when I'm wearing the long-sleeved Indy shirt with the jacket (which also requires tugging the cuffs into place thru the bottom of the jacket arms), but I've been doing it for so long that it's a rote action by now.
Last edited by whipwarrior on Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Ford did it because he HAD to. It was only a costume jacket to him, and they made 'them' as quickly as possible.

We don't HAVE to, as we live in the 'real world', or at least we THINK it's 'real'. :[

So, get what works, not what a fictional character and actor had to wear on screen. ;)

Good luck! It's always fun to have to ponder available options. We didn't have that 'back in the day'.

Like Ford, we had to take what was out there or live without.

Regards! Michaelson
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Michaelson wrote:As has been mentioned above, it really depends on season and shirt wear.

Short sleeve, cotton all the way, as satin can stick to the arms if perspiring.....but long sleeve, satin sleeve lining for ease of putting on.

Cotton lining over long sleeves can sometime be difficult at best to pull on.

Never 'all satin'! The jacket slides all OVER you unless you have it zipper, and even then it's slick!

Regards! Michaelson

I was going to write this nearly word for word. Now I don't have to.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Well, you can cut and paste it, I'll delete mine, and post it yourself if you want! \:D/

Today's your birthday. It's the LEAST I can do. ;)

Regard! M
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

:lol:

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

Tinplatejeff wrote:
And if Harrison Ford could do it with cotton sleeves and shirts, what excuse do we have?!

Still thinking ...

](*,)
The Last Crusade jacket may have been an all satin lining. Obviously we're talking about the Raiders jacket here, but it may throw some light on Ford's preference.

Of course we're wearing the jackets longer than the 4-5 months it takes to shoot a movie.
Charybdis
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Charybdis »

Michaelson wrote:But you're in Florida, so do you even own a long sleeve shirt? :-k ;)

That said, you're absolutely right. It varies from person to person, location to location, and no opinion is wrong here.

It's all subjective, and that's why this hobby is so neat! We're ALL right......unless we're wrong. :Plymouth:

Regards! M
Well, I do own a few long sleeve shirts, but I love the colder weather and I will pretty much go the entire winter with short sleeves! And you're close on the Palmetto State, but that's actually the nickname of South Carolina. I'm near the upstate in SC..not Florida...Although I did live a year down in Miami once way back in 86-87!!
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Whoops! Looked at your location with my bad eye! #-o

Well, you probably have as many long sleeve shirts as I do, as I'm in south central Tennessee, so our weather isn't THAT different than yours. ;)

Regards! M
Tinplatejeff
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Tinplatejeff »

xmasters wrote:
Tinplatejeff wrote:

Still thinking ...

](*,)
The Last Crusade jacket may have been an all satin lining. Obviously we're talking about the Raiders jacket here, but it may throw some light on Ford's preference.

Of course we're wearing the jackets longer than the 4-5 months it takes to shoot a movie.
Very valid points.

:)
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Tinplatejeff wrote: And if Harrison Ford could do it with cotton sleeves and shirts, what excuse do we have?!
No wardrobe department to help you get dressed? :-
Tinplatejeff
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Tinplatejeff »

Chewbacca Jones wrote:
Tinplatejeff wrote: And if Harrison Ford could do it with cotton sleeves and shirts, what excuse do we have?!
No wardrobe department to help you get dressed? :-
What about the significant other?

:Plymouth:
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

:lol:
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

Michaelson wrote:Ford did it because he HAD to. It was only a costume jacket to him, and they made 'them' as quickly as possible.

We don't HAVE to, as we live in the 'real world', or at least we THINK it's 'real'. :[

So, get what works, not what a fictional character and actor had to wear on screen. ;)

Good luck! It's always fun to have to ponder available options. We didn't have that 'back in the day'.

Like Ford, we had to take what was out there or live without.

Regards! Michaelson

I love this Michaelson - that's it in a nutshell isn't it? You can only take screen accuracy so far in the real world.