Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

temple_runner
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Need Help Sizing Wested Raiders 'Hero' Jacket

Post by temple_runner »

Hey all,

I'm going to get a Shrunken Lambskin Raiders 'Hero' Jacket (http://www.wested.com/shrunken-lambskin ... -505-p.asp and need some information on taking the right measurements.

I downloaded a Wested measurement guide, but it said don't use those for the 'Hero' jacket because its a different sizing guide. I've emailed Wested, but they haven't responded in a couple days and I want to get this thing ordered ASAP.

I am looking for advice from those familiar with this jacket on the following sizing:

-Size
-Sleeve Length
-Back Length
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Re: Need Help Sizing Wested Raiders 'Hero' Jacket

Post by CM »

Won't those sizes depend on your own measurements first? Sleeve length, for instance might be 24 to 27 inches depending upon how long your arms are. Or have I misunderstood your question?

Best way to size a jacket is to find a similar patterned jacket that fits the way you like it and then measure that jacket. For an Indy, a denim jacket or Carhartt Detroit or similar will give you measurements you can work with.
temple_runner
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by temple_runner »

I would just size them normally, but their size guide says these sizing rules don't apply to the 'Hero.' That's what got me confused.
temple_runner
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by temple_runner »

By the way, here is what I'm referring to:

http://wested.com/ekmps/shops/westedcom ... urself.pdf
Glenville86
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Glenville86 »

The cut of the Hero is different. I used my normal size measurements from my OTR Wested Raiders that fit great. Ended up the sleeves and back were too long.

Next time I went 26 1/2 inches in the back instead of my normal OTR of 28 inches. I ordered the sleeves 26 inches instead of my normal OTR 27 inches. Jacket fit fine.

That was just my experience.
temple_runner
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by temple_runner »

Thanks for that. Good to know.
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

Basically you need to subtract 1-2 inches from the back and maybe 1 inch off the sleeve. I don't know know what your measurements are but you want to stay in the 23-25" for the back and not more than 25. The movie jacket backlength was 23-24. That sounds short, but owing the shoulder overhang the backlength hangs lower. Of course if you are taller or bigger than Harrsion Ford 6'1" you want to take that into account as well.
Glenville86
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Glenville86 »

xmasters wrote:Basically you need to subtract 1-2 inches from the back and maybe 1 inch off the sleeve. I don't know know what your measurements are but you want to stay in the 23-25" for the back and not more than 25. The movie jacket backlength was 23-24. That sounds short, but owing the shoulder overhang the backlength hangs lower. Of course if you are taller or bigger than Harrsion Ford 6'1" you want to take that into account as well.
Good advice. Being around 6 feet 4 inches accounts for my back length being longer than normal....lol
temple_runner
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by temple_runner »

Thanks for the help, guys.
BobbyM
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by BobbyM »

I was in the same situation myself just recently and, having ordered and received a shrunken lamb Hero that I'm absolutely delighted with, this is all I can add to what others have said...

Firstly (obvious, I know) study the following thread carefully:

http://indygear.com/cow/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=51983" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I know it's dozens of pages long, but it really is stacked with good advice and lots of very helpful people.

As far as taking measurements, I did two things. First, I got my basic measurements with regards to how long I wanted the sleeve length and back length to be. I then cross referenced this with a jacket I already had that had the back length and sleeve length that looked correct for an Indy jacket. To cut a long story short, I ended up finding out that I needed a 25 inch back length and a 25 inch sleeve length. But, of course, the Hero jacket has that off-the-neck hang and shoulder droop that need to be accounted for so, based on advice from others, I simply subtracted one inch from each which left me with a 24-24 sizing. As for chest size, that doesn't need to be tinkered with as far as I'm aware.

With all the above I managed to get a jacket that I really love that could only have been better if I'd flown over to Wested and had them measure me personally. I really am over the moon with it.

This approach worked for me great, but I have to stress that I am quite lucky in the sense that I'm a similar height/build as Harrison was back when he made Raiders and I think that's a big part of why I had the success I did. It seems to be the case that the Hero jacket works better for some than it does for others, while there are some for which it doesn't work at all.

As for customer service from Wested, they tend to reply within about three days so you should hear from them soon. I also downloaded and referenced their measurements advice PDF but, as the document states, it only really applies to standard off-the-rack offerings because it doesn't take into account the nuances and unusual fit of the Hero jacket. It is definitely a useful guide in so far as how to accurately take measurements in general, but once you have those figures you need to adjust to accommodate the back-hang and shoulder droop.

When talking to Wested myself before I placed the order, they pretty much flat-out said they recommended the regular jackets over the Hero because they have a more consistent fit with no irregularities. The off-the-rack variants are the safer bet and lead to fewer returns/alteration requests, I suppose. That, I'm guessing, is because the Hero is the original pattern made for Harrison in Raiders and it's not going to work for everyone the way it did for him. Like I said, I absolutely adore my Hero and think it's a great fit - but that's partly because I'm blessed with having a similar stature to Mr Ford circa 1980. And I can say with 100% certainty that nobody looks as good in it as he did when he was a young man.

Anyway, that's my two cents. I know I'm just a forum newb, but all the above is my experience/advice with regards to Wested's Hero jacket and hopefully you'll find it of some use.

:TOH:
temple_runner
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by temple_runner »

THANK YOU for the detailed information. That really helps me. I will look into that thread for sure.
temple_runner
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by temple_runner »

Quick question:

For those who have ordered a jacket from Wested, how long does it take for Wested to SHIP the jacket from the time you order it? (I know the timeline after shipping depends on other factors).
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

Usually within about two weeks. I got my last jacket (ToD) in 4 days after ordering. Before that I got a jacket (Hero) exactly 14 days after ordering.
Marv
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Marv »

When i ordered my Hero back in June this year, it took 2 weeks from placing the order to delivery.

One thing i did do before ordering the jacket was ask for a sample of their current batch of shrunken lamb to see if i was happy with the shade as it can be a bit all over the place, some can be dark and some can be lighter, thankfully their batch of hide when i ordered my jacket was probably as SA as it gets in my opinion.

One other thing to take into consideration is the length of the waist straps, unless you specify a specific length you will get the default which is way too long, i went for 6.5 inches which worked out great.

temple_runner
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by temple_runner »

Thanks for the info. It seems getting Wested to reply to email is the most difficult part. I thought about buying an international phone card to call them. I'd like the jacket before Christmas lol
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

I keep reading about the email thing. I've always had replies within a day. Perhaps some email providers are being filtered into Wested's spam folder.
Marv
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Marv »

This could be true, as i have always had a timely response from them, within a day or so.
temple_runner
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by temple_runner »

They responded this morning, but I placed my order last night. Helen said pretty much the same thing as you guys did: an inch off the back and sleeves from your standard measurement.
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

temple_runner wrote:I would just size them normally, but their size guide says these sizing rules don't apply to the 'Hero.' That's what got me confused.
I'm late to this one but now I understand. Your question was once you have your standard measurements for a jacket; what adjustments need to be made to fit a Hero model (a pattern which fits in an unusual way)? So the answer to this is take away an inch from sleeves and back. Interesting. Sounds simple.

As I recall Tony Nowak explaining it all those yeas ago, the hero jacket sits lower on the body on account of the strange pattern and the unusual cut of the shoulders. It's all coming back to me.... Which would explain why Harrison at 6ft 1 can wear a 23 inch length. It sits at 24 or maybe even a bit longer.