Webley Mk VI

Need help finding an Indy Gun, want to discuss film used guns...

Moderator: Cajunkraut

bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Webley Mk VI

Post by bearbeast »

Just received my Webley MkVI CO2 6mm replica. In my country firearms are not allowed for civilians so this is as close as I'll get.

It is full metal and as I understand it is built under Webley license.

I've got to say, it is weirdly, almost comically big. And pretty heavy.

Well, here it is:

https://imgur.com/a/2GGOd
GrailHunter
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Re: Webley Mk VI

Post by GrailHunter »

That's not big, that's the size they are. The later WW2 .38's were a smaller size as it had a less powerful round, but the .455's where a big powerful handgun.

The CO2 Webley BB and .177 is a superbly made revolver, the tolerences and build are very high quality. It's a really great replica.
bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by bearbeast »

GrailHunter wrote:That's not big, that's the size they are. The later WW2 .38's were a smaller size as it had a less powerful round, but the .455's where a big powerful handgun.

The CO2 Webley BB and .177 is a superbly made revolver, the tolerences and build are very high quality. It's a really great replica.
Yes, I know they are an inch-to-inch replica. It was just a bit of a surprise to see the difference in size from a Colt1911 or a Beretta M9.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

True, but you're comparing 19th Century technology to 20th Century technology. Metallurgy wasn't up to the same standards in the 1800's as they became in the 1900's, and they had to compensate for the power of the bullet with the mass of the metal to control it.

Just about all machinery from that time period was massive due to this constraint, so yes, the Webley's ARE huge when compared to 'todays' weapons, that's for sure!

Regards! Michaelson
bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by bearbeast »

Michaelson wrote:True, but you're comparing 19th Century technology to 20th Century technology. Metallurgy wasn't up to the same standards in the 1800's as they became in the 1900's, and they had to compensate for the power of the bullet with the mass of the metal to control it.

Just about all machinery from that time period was massive due to this constraint, so yes, the Webley's ARE huge when compared to 'todays' weapons, that's for sure!

Regards! Michaelson
Yes, of course, technology needs to be taken into account. And so the size or oversize makes a lot of sense.

In addition I do love the extra heft that comes with it, it's like a hand held cannon.

I couldn't be happier with my new Indy gear acquisition.

Bear Beast
Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

Nice score, beast. It's great to still see good 1:1 replicas of these vintage guns. The runs always seem too limited.
bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by bearbeast »

Cajunkraut wrote:Nice score, beast. It's great to still see good 1:1 replicas of these vintage guns. The runs always seem too limited.
Thanks, Cajunkraut. You are right. Even when they have a high price point they are hard to find.

Not Indy related, but the Inokatsu Colt1911 full steel replica would be a lovely addition to any collection. But the price is steeeep!!! =P~