MKVII & MKVI updates for Indygear.com

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Re: MKVII & MKVI updates for Indygear.com

Post by Erri »

Ahah, what an approrpiate manufacturer's name. I never came across one. I would like to add it to my first post but for some reason when I go edit it doesn't leave the full links intact and I don't want to lose them, it would be nuts to find them all again.
LawranceOfArabia
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by LawranceOfArabia »

Hi all,

I was gifted a MKVII for Christmas which is awesome, it looks in great quality too.

I’ve been through most of this thread and found it very interesting. I’m struggling to ID this brand though. I can see some references to OBCL which is probably this one but it looks more like CBC with the fourth character unreadable.

I’m also not sure what the arrow and 41 is in reference to. I’ve seen these mentioned but the links in the posts that explain the arrow don’t seem to be working so I’m clueless as to what it means. Any advice?

Final question, there is a string in a small pocket on the side panel. I assume it’s a tether to avoid a part of the original gas mask getting lost. Is this on Indy’s version in the movies?
2C951F18-D078-42BD-A3CB-D795C7207F5A.jpeg
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IJJTM »

Welcome to the club! I’m not very good with identification of bags, but I believe the string was used to clip onto a soldiers body so it wouldn’t flail so much. It is accurate, and from my understanding longer loops are accurate to Raiders, while smaller ones are more in line with the other films. Check out the second page of this thread, Magnoli posts a nice picture that shows the loop prominently. viewtopic.php?f=16&t=69903&hilit=Bag&start=50" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

The gas mask bags were historically worn on the chest with the strap going around the neck. The string was wrapped around the wearer's back and looped around the metal disk to secure it.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Nosirrah
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Nosirrah »

Thanks, Jeff-- that explains the odds & ends that came with my NOS bag. :tup:
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

You're welcome. The picture doesn't appear to be a MKVII bag, but it was the first picture that popped up in a quick and dirty search that demonstrated how these bags were originally used.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Nosirrah
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Nosirrah »

Yeah, I noticed the strap had snap fasteners, for one thing, but you're undoubtedly right.
Here's a shot of a vintage MKVII bag from WPG:
The back cord is clearly visible on the right; not so obvious is the little loop of matching cord sewn into the outside hem on the left. I'm guessing the one was attached to the other, and stowed in the tiny pocket just below. In use, it was looped around the back and then secured by looping it around the metal flange on the opposite side, as you said. :tup:
BTW, as I've posted elsewhere, I used a section of the original cotton strap to replace the strap ring anchor, which had dry rot-- a common complaint, I've heard. :?
LawranceOfArabia
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by LawranceOfArabia »

Thanks for the explanation for the small string, makes perfect sense.

Any clues on the maker?
Nosirrah
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Nosirrah »

LawranceOfArabia wrote:Thanks for the explanation for the small string, makes perfect sense.

Any clues on the maker?
Yer welcome. :TOH: Hope I'm more or less correct-- I've learned that making perfect sense is no guarantee. :[
If I read your question correctly, it was answered in Erri's initial post in this thread:
http://indygear.com/cow/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=37699 (Or click on "Go to Page 1" below)
Using his meticulous research :notworthy: :clap: I learned that there were over a dozen suppliers on the Mk VII contract. My bag, for example, is a "H&S 1942" per the stamp on the cover flap.
parfaitelumiere
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by parfaitelumiere »

Hi, I have some questions about those bags:
-first, at least on one screenshot, I saw the strap has been replaced for a leather one, and fixed not using stitching, but rivets, right?
-second when have those bags, withthe correct type, meaning with the black part on side and without stap hooks on front, been made, would it be possible to get a 1930's date letter inside?
I saw some earlier types seem to have been used during WWI, so maybe some accurate type should have been produced during the 30's?! the earlier accurate shape I saw was from 1939, but most of them seem to be more from 1942 and 1943.
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

All of the bags used for the movies have leather straps replacing the original web straps. The straps are secured using Chicago screws.

The MKVII were all produced during WWII so are anachronistic to Indy using them, however, there were earlier similar bags produced going back to the WWI. Hence, the Mark VII version.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
parfaitelumiere
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by parfaitelumiere »

Thanks a lot,

Are there any close up or pictures of correct mount?
I finally bought the bag, as the strap can be shortened and distressed, the bag itself is really pristine, and has no date inside, so, it can be "accurate" for a 1938 original period item.
If I understand the strap is 1" wide, and has a double buckle with roll, and it's held in place using a chicago screw, are there two fo them, or only one, and other part is using stitching?
are those screw made from raw brass, or nickel plated?
As you understood, I try to get it as accurate as possible.
If it wouldn't bring size issue, I would have bought an earlier model, to stick to the historical period, but the design is a bit different.
bag.jpg
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Both ends of the strap have the Chicago screws.

Here is a really good tutorial.

https://youtu.be/KuCuh_mDpl0?si=lIJaLUKED139ayVN

Regards,

Indiana Jeff