Alterations to a Wested

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Alterations to a Wested

Post by Mulceber »

My Wested Hero jacket has sleeves that are too long. Iirc, the sleeves are supposed to be down to your first knuckle - these are down to my second or third knuckle. I don't really want to send the jacket all the way back to Wested just for that, so does anyone have any advice for who to take a leather jacket to when I just need the sleeves to be shortened by an inch? I was thinking a local tailor, but I'm worried they might refuse or (worse) accept it and botch the job. What do you guys think?
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Alterations to a Wested

Post by Indiana Jeff »

How long have you had the jacket? Jacket sleeves can shorten a bit with wear as the sleeves develop creases and wrinkles or if the jacket gets rained on. If the jacket is very new, you probably want to wait a bit before making alterations.

If you opt for a local tailor, ask specifically if they have experience working with leather. If you get any hesitation, don't do it. Even better, ask to see any work they have done recently. If they don't have any pieces in their shop, they probably don't have that much expertise and you could end up in trouble.

Many members, myself included, have used Arrow Fabricare. http://www.arrowcare.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; It'll cost a bit more and take more time to ship to Kansas City and back, but they have a proven track record. They worked on a jacket for me and one for my Bride and I was entirely satisfied with their work both times.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

Four to five years old, unfortunately. It's set in its ways by now. ;) Thanks for the tip! I'll check Arrow out!
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

I presume you've already soaked the sleeves and pushed them up your arms and worn them until dry. That usually makes them shorter.
It's actually benefical to have the sleeves a bit longer to do just that and get the wrinked sleeve effect all the way up the arms.
Marv
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Marv »

xmasters wrote:I presume you've already soaked the sleeves and pushed them up your arms and worn them until dry. That usually makes them shorter.
It's actually benefical to have the sleeves a bit longer to do just that and get the wrinked sleeve effect all the way up the arms.
Exactly what xmasters has just mentioned, I did this to my Hero which has produced as shortening and creasing of the sleeve to great effect.

Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

xmasters wrote:I presume you've already soaked the sleeves and pushed them up your arms and worn them until dry. That usually makes them shorter.
I hadn't actually. How far up the arm should I push the sleeves? Might be worth a try some time.