Wested boots?

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Wested boots?

Post by backstagejack »

Today, Wested posted some Indy boots on Facebook stating they were looking to produce some.
I have had these samples made with a view to production. Selling at about £100 I wonder if there is a demand and what colour or both and rubber or leather sole. Peter
LRGS
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Re: Wested boots?

Post by LRGS »

That's good news. Definitely would purchase these at that price.
giantthugee86
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by giantthugee86 »

Would purchase at 100 pounds too. Hope he makes them.
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

It is an interesting development. Wested can be hit or miss. The lighter model doesn't have the eye hooks but the darker more Indy model does. The price is not bad at all. I will definitely be looking out for these but will wait for reviews before dropping any kind of cash.
The Character
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by The Character »

Look pretty good to me .. the lighter ones appeal more as the eye hooks nowadays almost always bend and shear off ... the lighter ones scuffed up and polished darker would be great ...
Indiana Strones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Indiana Strones »

The brown boot is not bad.
yellowduke
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by yellowduke »

I had a look at these when I was there a few weeks ago. The boot in the right of the picture with the sole of the one on the left may be the way he takes them. They look even better in person.
Wotalark
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Wotalark »

Look good, will definitely watch those. Price is keen.
Let's hope they go ahead, more choice is always good.
Spudomatic
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Spudomatic »

I saw them mention the last week of this month (June). I hope so! Aldens are way out of my budget!
Dangerfreak
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Dangerfreak »

They look promising! Alden's are also out of my price range and my current Indy boots, which are fashion boots, are starting to give up the ghost. I agree that the boot on the right with the sole of the one on the left would be more like it. Will keep watching this one!
kozmoedave
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by kozmoedave »

They're up: http://www.wested.com/adventurer-leathe ... 3759-p.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
GrailHunter
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by GrailHunter »

Hmm, this'll be interesting.
Wotalark
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Wotalark »

yellowduke wrote:I had a look at these when I was there a few weeks ago. The boot in the right of the picture with the sole of the one on the left may be the way he takes them. They look even better in person.
Look good, and have come in at £110.00 or £99.00 for repeat customers. Not clear how you get the discount.

They have gone for the hook and eyes but the sole is much better. Like the suggestion above.

I have asked them how we get the "regulars" price as there are many Wested regulars in this community. Will update when I hear back.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

I wonder how they're handling widths? The unfortunate practice with boot makers is that they assume folks who have long feet also have WIDE feet, and that's not the issue at all.

I have a long foot, but extremely narrow. That's why Alden's work for me, as they ARE made first as an orthopedic shoe, so they have ALL sizes AND widths available.

These Wested boots look great! I'm just worried they'll all be wide widths. :(

Regard! Michaelson
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

Well, it's a non-issue for those of us fortunate enough to own the coveted Alden boots.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

:lol:

True that, but it's also nice to see some more decent boots becoming available from Wested that don't cost over $500 to walk in. ;)

Regard! M
Dangerfreak
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Dangerfreak »

Well, I do like the look of those! They're going on the list of future purchases I'm sure.
Glenville86
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Glenville86 »

Wonder if they run true to size? I wear an 11.5 in Alden Indy Boots, Red Wing and 1000 Mile boots. However, dress shoes and some boots are a 12M. Will be curious when folks post who buy these.
Spudomatic
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Spudomatic »

Ordered a pair, assuming accurate sizing. I hope they fit!
lorne73
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by lorne73 »

Looks terrific!
Marv
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Marv »

The boots are up for sale on the Wested site now.....

http://www.wested.com/adventurer-leathe ... 3759-p.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

Just a thought, make sure you order based on the EU sizing. UK numbered sizes are different to US.

EG 7.5 US is approx 6 UK.
Wotalark
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Wotalark »

Ordered a pair. Hope they come out ok on size. They will not be in for another week.

One note if you are a returning customer of Wested's. I couldn't get the discount for existing customers to apply online. I placed the order talking to them on the phone and the discount should have applied automatically but it didn't. They have refunded the difference but just a warning to watch that you are paying the right price if you are an existing customer ( i.e. £99 .)
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by image »

I'm not an "expert" on shoe construction so I would appreciate an answer to this question - Can these boots be resoled when they are worn out?
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

If they have something like a 'Goodyear welt', then the answer is yes, they can.

Regards! Michaelson
Wotalark
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Wotalark »

As Michaelson said, if they have stitched on soles ( "Goodyear welted" - named after the inventor of the sewing machine), in the traditional English way, then yes they could be.

However, details are still scarce. When i spoke to them yesterday they didn't yet have any sizing details, for example. However I thought the photos of the samples showed a welted sole.

But...

The description says :

Made from high quality chrome tanned hides we have opted for 'Sure grip' bonded rubber soles hand finished to perfection.
"Bonded" suggests glued on.
And Goodyear welted shoes are expensive so I'd guess these won't be.

But, a cobbler might still be able to repair them but it would be more hit and miss and probably a one off.

I think we need to wait until they are in and more pics posted or they first pairs start to go out.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Agreed 100%. Until someone has a boot in hand, is all supposition on all our part. Let's wait and see. ;)

Regard! Michaelson
Doctor_Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Doctor_Jones »

Ordered me a pair earlier this week. Got the discount for it but afterwards. I couldn't figure out how to log into my wested account. Thought I was too fast when I made the purchase but maybe others had that issue aswell. So I paid the full price but after mailing them got the refund of the discount. Boots should normally arrive today ( Monday) at Wested and I guess the first orders will be shipped out asap.
Spudomatic
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Spudomatic »

Doctor_Jones wrote:Ordered me a pair earlier this week. Got the discount for it but afterwards. I couldn't figure out how to log into my wested account. Thought I was too fast when I made the purchase but maybe others had that issue aswell. So I paid the full price but after mailing them got the refund of the discount. Boots should normally arrive today ( Monday) at Wested and I guess the first orders will be shipped out asap.

I had the same issue with the Wested site, but after a couple of emails, was issued a refund for the discount, too. Looking back at the site, I still don't see a way to login before making a purchase, haha. Glad it wasn't just me. Fingers crossed the boots show up soon!
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Peter posted a quick video on his FB page that the boots have arrived and are being shipped.

https://www.facebook.com/peter.botwrigh ... TM&fref=nf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Unfortunately you'll have to log into FB to see it. :|

Once quick shot of the sole showed them to be sewn and heels nailed, so I'd say the answer to the question above is, 'yes', they are repairable if/when the time comes.

Regards! Michaelson
Spudomatic
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Spudomatic »

Yes! Mine are finally on the way and I got a tracking number... but they arrive the day after I leave town! ](*,)
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

Then don't leave town! #-o
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

:rolling:
Spudomatic
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Spudomatic »

whipwarrior wrote:Then don't leave town! #-o
Don't think I haven't seriously considered it! ;)
Doctor_Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Doctor_Jones »

Mine pair is underway too. They should arrive here sometime on Tuesday, if the DHL tracking is correct.
Wotalark
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Wotalark »

My pair have arrived today.

Haven't tried them on yet, but first impressions are really good - presentation, quality, look. I think Wested have really nailed it and have a winner here. :clap:

I almost don't want to say anything else, I don't want to spoil the experience for the other members who have them on their way.

By the sounds of it we'll have a few pairs delivered early next week.

Thoughts -want a more detailed report?
Duck9000
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Duck9000 »

Are you kidding? Detailed report, please!!!
Dangerfreak
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Dangerfreak »

I second a more detailed report please. I'd love to see some pictures.
Doctor_Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Doctor_Jones »

:WLWOP:
GrailHunter
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by GrailHunter »

Nice boots, fit true to size, made from decent quality leather, and above all really comfortable straight out of the box. My only gripe is the brass speed lacers. They have no structural strength and bend easily when tightening your laces. They're very sharp too, so buy many spare laces as you'll need them. Perfect for costuming though. If you want everyday wear, then you will need to pay attention to those brass parts and spend some time smoothing them down. For £100 they're a bargain.

GrailHunter
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by GrailHunter »

...also the finish on them isn't that deep or hard wearing, so the first step in aging them takes no time at all. I consider that a bonus.

Doctor_Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Doctor_Jones »

Looks great as is: new. Can't wait to get my pair.
Aging went fast but I'll let time and wear do that for me.
Thanks for showing some pics.
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

Gah! I love Wested Leather, but this makes me appreciate my real Aldens all the more. :x
Tinplatejeff
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Tinplatejeff »

whipwarrior wrote:Gah! I love Wested Leather, but this makes me appreciate my real Aldens all the more. :x
I totally agree, I know Aldens are maddening expensive, but my 405s are by far the most comfortable pair of shoes I've ever worn bar none. Also, are the Wested really Goodyear welted or just made to look it like Todd's? All that being said I understand that some people can't afford Aldens. I hope the Wested wear well for those buying them and don't fall apart, my Todd's were a horrid waste of money.
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

My only gripe is the brass speed lacers. They have no structural strength and bend easily when tightening your laces. They're very sharp too, so buy many spare laces as you'll need them.
Seems like the easiest thing to do would just be to take them to a cobbler and have them replace the speed lacers with some better ones, no?
GrailHunter
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by GrailHunter »

if you're going to throw more money to improve things then it may be worth considering just buying real Aldens in the first place. If anyone was to go down the replacement route, then I'd personally go for eyelets. Things like this are to be expected. You're not going to find Lobb or Crockett & Jones quality in a £99 boot. Maybe it may be worth Wested doing any further runs with eyelets to keep the price in the same area.
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

It also wouldn't be very expensive to get the speed lacers replaced. A nice, simple fix to get the perfect Indy boot.
Wotalark
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Wotalark »

A few more details, having worn mine for a few days now:

1. They are a good fit, true to size. Quite a narrow fit which suits my feet ( unlike say, J Crew Alden's which I find very wide).
2. My pair don't have the rough edges to the speedlacers that GrailHunter reported, but they speedlacers are not straight. They work ok but there's clearly some build variation.
3. Not sure whether they are a true Goodyear welt or imitation. They certainly look welted, but the soles are very deep, and I am suspicious. Time will tell.

There are some new photos up at Wested:

http://www.wested.com/adventurer-leathe ... 3759-p.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Apologies for not posting pics of mine. GrailHunter has shown them all in real style. Plus , have house full of screaming small kids, so I steal whatever time I can ...

Great value boots. With all the comments above, these are great value at £100.00. Clearly not Alden's but then they're not £500 either.
Doctor_Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Doctor_Jones »

Normally, my boots will arrive tomorrow. But I just postponed the delivery by one day. Won't be available during the office hours tomorrow but I will be on Wednesday. So looking forward in seeing these shoes. My first "Indy"-related buy since ages.
Doctor_Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Doctor_Jones »

Got my boots today. They look awesome and fit me very well. I posted a picture on my instagram: @oomsrf1