How much does Pecards darken a whip?

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

kdragseth
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

How much does Pecards darken a whip?

Post by kdragseth »

I searched for this, so hopefully I'm not creating a repetitious thread. My question is, how much do regular applications of Pecard leather dressing darken cattle leather? Obviously there are many factors at play, but is it safe to assume it's not going to drastically darken in a short time period?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: How much does Pecards darken a whip?

Post by Indiana Jeff »

The short answer is no, regular Pecards will not significantly darken the whip. The leather can darken over time, but that's due to handling and sun exposure too.

The key is most whips don't need that much leather dressing. As taught to me by our own Bullwhip Borton, after a whip session, wipe the whip is an old t-shirt to remove an dust, dirt, grass, etc. then put a small dab of Pecards in the palm of your hand (roughly quarter size) and run your hand down the length of the whip a few times. Then wipe again with the t-shirt.

People tend to over condition whips and that can cause the leather to swell, stretch and loosen.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

If the whip is brand new, it might not even need treatment for a while, except the fall after a cracking session. The leather will darken with use, age, and treatment, but it will be a slow process.
kdragseth
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by kdragseth »

Awesome wisdom. Thanks, folks!

kdragseth
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by kdragseth »

I did as instructed, with just a wee bit of Pecards all down the length. I'm glad I asked and didn't apply too liberally or too often. Thanks again for the sagacious advice, guys.