Magnoli Adventure jacket

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

senorjacob
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Magnoli Adventure jacket

Post by senorjacob »

Here are some pics of my new Magnoli White Label adventure jacket. It's my first Indy jacket. I love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Adventure Dog
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Re: Magnoli Adventure jacket

Post by Adventure Dog »

I see underarm gussets!

I was wondering when someone would buy one of these. It looks fantastic! Compared to the picture on the website, yours doesn't look distressed at all.

Overall, it looks like Magnoli nailed it out the the park once again!
senorjacob
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by senorjacob »

Forgive my ignorance but are underarm gussets good or bad?

The distressing is subtle. It doesn't show up in the pics. And you're right it's not nearly as distressed as the pic on the website. But I actually prefer it this way. Also it's more dark brown in person than in the pics.

kozmoedave
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by kozmoedave »

Very nice! I do like the way it looks in your pics better than the website. Congratulations on your first Indy!
senorjacob
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by senorjacob »

Yeah I was a little worried it would be too distressed like the website. But I think it came out perfect. It smells amazing too. And it's super light weight. Very happy with Magnoli.

senorjacob
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by senorjacob »

Here's a closer look at the distressing and the color of the leather.

senorjacob
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by senorjacob »

And yes it does have gussets.

Adventure Dog
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Adventure Dog »

senorjacob wrote:And yes it does have gussets.
I wasn't sure if it had gussets, which allow for more movement in the arms without the jacket "raising" up in the body.

Thank you for the closeup of the leather. I think I'm now convinced to get one!

Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

Oh, man... =P~

Very nice choice.
Glenville86
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Glenville86 »

Looks great!
Arch Stanton
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Arch Stanton »

I'll just quote myself and questions because I noticed your post in the vendor section first since I have been watching that thread so closely.
Arch Stanton wrote:I'm teetering right on the razor's edge of ordering one of these. I want one that fits me exactly as this fits you. It looks amazing. Not to sound too forward, but do you mind sharing your own body specs along with the specs of your jacket order? :CR:

Also, I'm confused because this does not seem to appear pre-distressed as Magnoli's site claims it only comes in. :-k

My biggest peeve with my Wested Raiders is that the arms are so baggy and not more form fitting and slim as these seem, which is what I want. I'm more into a contemporary style right now than I am concerned with screen accuracy.

Thanks for your time.

-Arch
senorjacob
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by senorjacob »

Hey Arch,
I hear you. All the research I did and all the photos I saw showed jackets that were all oversized. And people have had tons of issues with wested so I steered clear of them. Like you, I wanted a jacket that actually fit me. When I saw the picture of the magnoli jacket, I thought maybe this was the one.

The advice from Indy Magnoli (and the measuring instructions on their site) was to find a jacket that fits you well and take measurements off that jacket. I did have a jacket that fit me fairly well and I took it to a tailor. I took the measurement forms from the magnoli website with me and we took measurements off the jacket and off of me and we came up with numbers that made sense. The form asks for a lot of measurements (arm holes, mid sleeve width, sleeve opening, etc) so the jacket really is made specifically for you.

I ran those numbers by Indy and he was very helpful. I wanted to be sure that I would get a jacket with all the Raiders proportions, but I wanted a fitted look and feel. Didn't want something oversized. For all the talk of how the jacket in the movie is a loose fitting jacket, it's not THAT loose fitting. Ford's shoulders fill the jacket and when it's zipped up (like in the Nepal scene) it FITS him. That's what I wanted.

As for the pre-distressed look on the website. I think most of that is the way the jacket is lit. To my taste, the jacket that I got is pre-distressed, but it's not overdone at all. You can see it but it's not as apparent as on the website. Again, I think a lot of it had to do with how the jacket is lit.

I'm very happy with the jacket and I would definitely recommend buying one, especially at the White Label pricing. At the regular pricing I probably wouldn't have pulled the trigger.

I'd be glad to give you my measurements but the main thing is to visit a good tailor who's willing to spend 20 minutes with you.

Does that help?

Arch Stanton
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Arch Stanton »

Woah!

Now I'm stressed! Thanks for the thorough response. Sounds like a lot of work, but I know it will be just right as long as I get the measurements right. I'll also give Magnoli a holler.

But if you could still let me know your specs it would be cool. It would at least let me figure out if I'm in the right ballpark with one compared to the other and be slightly less concerned. I really should not be pulling the trigger so quickly on another Indy jacket, but I'm sort of disappointed in my Wested, at no fault of theirs, but all my own for not doing more research. :) You can PM me if you feel more comfortable. I swear I'm not assembling a pine casket for you. :twisted:
senorjacob
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by senorjacob »

Ha! Sure. I'll Pm you.

senorjacob
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by senorjacob »

I've now had my Magnoli Raiders for a little over a week and I've worn it every day. I can report back that it's the best jacket I've ever owned, fits perfectly, and is breaking in nicely. The cowhide is thin and soft and I'm training the arms and the collar to sit the way I want them to.

The straps are a little long IMHO but I'm going to have a tailor shorten them as soon as it gets too warm to wear it. I tend to wear it with the straps pulled snug. That results in the tail end of the straps hanging out pretty far. I've taken to wrapping them around itself in a loose knot for now.

The jacket is slowly getting some wear and I've experimented with wiping it with a warm washcloth in lieu of a warm shower -- I don't want the leather going all stiff on me too quickly.

Summer is here and them temps are rising and I want to wear it for as long as I can before it gets too warm. Luckily I live in California so I've got more time.

Really love this jacket!

xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

I think the strap length is accurate. The reason is to allow a lot of flexibility in the side vents for action scenes in the movie without the straps coming apart (which they would if they were shorter). You can always fold them back under again.
senorjacob
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by senorjacob »

See. Shows what I know. I've been folding them back under like you suggested. Works.

Frederick
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Frederick »

Hi Jacob, nice jacket! I'm also under the feeling that some jackets have the shoulder hanging too far off the shoulder tip (going by the Raven bar scene).

I'd be interested to know what your shoulder measurement (from sleeve seam to sleeve seam) is vs your actual shoulder measurement?
Indy Magnoli
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Indy Magnoli »

If you measure your shoulder width properly, I don't believe there should be any allowance for the jacket. In other words, if your shoulders are 19" wide, then the jacket shoulder width should be 19" from seam-to-seam. Sure, this isn't "Raiders Accurate"... but personally, I'd rather have a jacket fit me properly than not.
senorjacob
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by senorjacob »

The jacket "full shoulder" measurement that I gave Magoli (based on one of my good fitting jackets) is 16.75". I haven't measured the actual Indy jacket but I assume that's what it is. And my actual full shoulder width measurement is 16".

So the jacket is 3/4" wider than my shoulders -- 3/8" on either side.

Frederick
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Frederick »

Thanks Jacob, yeah it seems still very nicely fitted even with the added 3/4 inch (3/8's either side), just that little extra room nice.
Indy Magnoli wrote:If you measure your shoulder width properly, I don't believe there should be any allowance for the jacket. In other words, if your shoulders are 19" wide, then the jacket shoulder width should be 19" from seam-to-seam. Sure, this isn't "Raiders Accurate"... but personally, I'd rather have a jacket fit me properly than not.
Thanks Indy, I appreciate your expertise here...the problem that I've found with my jackets are that because the collar to shoulder seam (running along shoulder) sits further back on most people's shoulders (and mine), meaning it's not running along the shoulder ridge so the shoulder measurement is then incorrect?
To not to take over I've created a new topic here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=67500" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'd love to hear your input.
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

I think this is a great jacket. Tempted to get one myself.
davyjones007
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by davyjones007 »

Jacket looks great. Magnoli knows hot to put one together. The leather color and texture is amazing. :TOH:
whipcracker
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by whipcracker »

The world needs more Magnoli Adventure Jackets.... :clap: :clap:
senorjacob
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by senorjacob »

It's breaking in very nicely.

marker2037
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by marker2037 »

This jacket is a beauty. Sorry for digging up this old thread, but just curious to the OP how the jacket has broken in over the past 2 years. I'm currently deciding on the same one and would love to get some feeback. It fits you beautifully btw!
Prodigal Son
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Prodigal Son »

I think I know where my next Indy jacket is coming from.