MKVII and evil stains

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

Gobler
Vendor

MKVII and evil stains

Post by Gobler »

Help!! I have a very tenacious grease stain on the front of my bag. It’s cooking or popcorn oil that spilled. I have tried simple green and have hand washed it but no luck. Any one know of a good stain remover that won’t kill an MKVII?

Cheers,
Jeff
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Would Oxy Clean do the trick?
Gobler
Vendor

Post by Gobler »

I don't know? Is Oxy Clean good for getting out grease stains?

Cheers,
Jeff
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

I know it's a gentle, but effective, detergent for vintage gear. Is this an original bag or a repro?
IndyBlues
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IndyBlues »

OxyClean SHOULD do the job. I found it very effective in cleaning up two of my bags that were stained up.

If not, you can always dip the entire bag in cooking or popcorn oil, to get a nice uniform color on the bag :wink:
Gobler
Vendor

Post by Gobler »

It's dated 1941 so it's an origanal. :wink: I'll give Oxy Clean a try.

IB "If not, you can always dip the entire bag in cooking or popcorn oil, to get a nice uniform color on the bag "

I joked about that this morning. :lol:

Cheers,
Jeff
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Would you like salt and extra butter with that? :lol:
Hemingway Jones
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Hemingway Jones »

This thread reminds me of the black-stripe controversy thread. There were all sorts of remedies to getting out stains on that one. I hate to bring it up again, but it can be found here:

http://www.indygear.com/forum/viewtopic ... ack+stripe

Just ignore all of the drama. There is actually some useful information about bag cleaning there.
Renderking Fisk
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Renderking Fisk »

From a Steak and Cheese sub I got a nasty oil stain on my favorite LLBean pants while on my way to the first Gettysburg summit. I washed these pants at Neo's house and most of the oil came out. What didn't come out was hardly noticeable but appeared like it was permanent.

Took the pants home, washed them with a whole load of other khakis -And a pair just like them- and a scoop of Oxy-Clean. When the load was done I took the identical pairs of pants together and compared. I couldn't tell which one had the stain.
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Oxy Clean has been the most recommended detergent for cleaning an original bag, so I would trust that judgement. It does the trick well and won't harm it like more abrasive cleaners can. I think the only drwaback was that it may lighten your original stampings a little, but it won't remove them if you clean it right. Good luck!
Gobler
Vendor

Post by Gobler »

I don't mind if the stamps fade, they are pretty dark and heavy so a littl fade would be just fine. I'll pick up some Oxy Clean today. I'll let you know how it turned out.

Thanks to all and Cheers,
Jefff
Gobler
Vendor

Post by Gobler »

Well I just picked up Oxy Magic and am washing my bag. Keeping fingers xed :?: The stuff said it had no bleach or chlorine so it sounded safe. My G/F said it's just like Oxy Clean (which my local store was out of.

Cheers,
Jeff
Gobler
Vendor

Post by Gobler »

Well the bag has been washed and it looks a tad lighter but still nice. The stain came out a little so it's not as noticable. I think that oil stains in general are tough to get out. I don't want to push my luck so I will live with the bag as is. Heck I could always clame it was gun oil :wink:

Cheers,
Jeff
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Well, glad it partially worked out for you... I like the gun oil explaination, too. :wink:
IndyBlues
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IndyBlues »

Glad to see all things worked out well. I would suggest giving it another soaking of the OxyClean(Magic) to try at that stain again. The bag shouldn't lighten any more, but the stain may come out more, especially if you scrub that area a bit.
Renderking Fisk
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Mix up a batch and put it onto the spot. Rinse.
Indiana Jason
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Indiana Jason »

Just don't make a bucket of oxi clean and water and by accident let your bag half soak in it for 24 hours.......

Can anyone say stiff white half bag.............. I knew you could.

Now I am in the market for a new one in the next few months.
~Jason
Indiana Blizzard
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Indiana Blizzard »

If Oxy fails which I suspect it might, becouse it is not a fresh stain, go to your local automotive store and buy a product called GOOP , it is a heavy duty grease remover, that and a good brush mixed with a little elbow grease and you will be amazed ...I use it on everything and it works great!. :D
Swindiana
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Swindiana »

IB: Not a bad idea I think. I've tried the kind of oil remover that has granules in it when removing mechanic oil from my hands and it works like no soap ever will. It is safe enough to scrub your skin with and should therefore be of no harm to the bag either.

Regards,
Swindiana
Indiana Texas-girl
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Indiana Texas-girl »

I believe GOOP can be found at Home Depot and Lowe's home improvement stores also.
Rixter
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Rixter »

Gobler wrote:Well the bag has been washed and it looks a tad lighter but still nice. The stain came out a little so it's not as noticable. I think that oil stains in general are tough to get out. I don't want to push my luck so I will live with the bag as is. Heck I could always clame it was gun oil :wink:

Cheers,
Jeff
I’m hesitant to recommend this because it needs a certain amount of artistic skill, and a lot of patience, but what makes MOST stains stand out are the edges left after using ALL or SOME of the products mentioned above. Try this only as a LAST RESORT. What you need to do is feather the edges out with thin washes of meticulously mixed acrylic artist tube colors with a spectrum laid out on a palette or mixing tray. It’s of course a good idea if you have a piece, possibly on the inside, to observe how the mixture reacts to the fabric and amount of ‘wash’ you’ll need to apply and/or build up to get the desired blending with the color of the adjacent original fabric. I’d recommend acrylic instead of artist oils or other medium because it is covers more easily should you make a mistake going to dark and you can apply washes quickly as soon as each coat dries. When you’re happy, apply a Krylon spray fixative.

The only other technique, and probably the less complicated, assuming you have gotten out all the stain you possibly can using the stain removal methods above, is to stratigically dust it with Fullers earth using a powder puff or something like a large round sable dabbing brush.
Swindiana
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Swindiana »

Or, use what the soldiers used... Blanco. :wink:

http://www.sofmilitary.co.uk/reenactors ... &offset=01

Regards,
Swindiana
Gobler
Vendor

Post by Gobler »

Swindiana wrote:Or, use what the soldiers used... Blanco. :wink:

http://www.sofmilitary.co.uk/reenactors ... &offset=01

Regards,
Swindiana

So that's how your bags look so nice and uniform in color? :idea: I think perhaps I will try Blanco.

Cheers,
Jeff
Kittlemeier
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Kittlemeier »

You could try revitalizing the stain with whatever originally stained it. Then wash it while it's still wet. Sounds strange but it's always worked for me. K
IndyBlues
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IndyBlues »

Fighting fire, with fire. Great idea!
Renderking Fisk
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Indiana Jason wrote:Just don't make a bucket of oxi clean and water and by accident let your bag half soak in it for 24 hours.......
I have never heard of a anything losing all of it's natural color from Oxi-Clean. Then again, I only let things soak for an hour or so. I also use this stuff on my Khaki's everytime and none of them have faded. Hmmmm... did you use anything else with the Oxi-Clean?
Gobler
Vendor

Post by Gobler »

I did try a stain remover stick first. Then went to Oxy magic. I thnk I just cleaned the bag back to the origanal color. As I said above I'm going to get some Blanco.

Cheers,
Jeff
skbellis
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Be Careful with Blanco

Post by skbellis »

Just so you guys know...blanco is not permanent. It is almost a clay like substance that will just cover the material. Do not be surprised if it comes off on your clothing. Seldom did British soldiers blanco the back of their web gear because it would get on their uniforms. Also, respirator cases were never blancoed becaused it interferred with the respirators. Just fair warning from someone who has used quite a bit of blanco (Brit. WWII reenacting).

--Scott
Swindiana
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Re: Be Careful with Blanco

Post by Swindiana »

skbellis wrote:Also, respirator cases were never blancoed becaused it interferred with the respirators. Just fair warning from someone who has used quite a bit of blanco (Brit. WWII reenacting). --Scott
From what I've heard they did use it on the respirator cases, both the Mk VI (for those still issued with one) and the Mk VII and most other webbing that needed to blend in with the colour of nature as the beige/khaki colour didn't. That would also explain why most bags from 1943 tend to have a greener shade to them from the beginning with no need of getting blancoed. I'm not trying to make a point, just telling what I've heard from a bit of bag research. For those who have seen the next bag in line, the Lightweight gas mask (MkIII) it is indeed green with no exception. I don't know why the blanco would interfere with the apparatus, but I'm sure there is a good explanation since you have had you're share of reenaction. Handwashing my latest bag did get rid of what seemed to be quite a large share of blanco. Please PM me with further info in case you'd like to share this "off-board".

Kind regards,
Swindiana