Training a hat

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Woodsrunner79
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Training a hat

Post by Woodsrunner79 »

So, this is more focused toward those who wear their hat on an everyday basis.
What's your go to method for getting your Indy to fit you perfectly?
Are there things to look for when purchasing that make this easier?
Have you had better success with rabbit or beaver?

Cheers, Jordan.
alex1152
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Re: Training a hat

Post by alex1152 »

Just wear it that's all there is to do, the more you wear it the more it will become yours.
Jeremiah
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Jeremiah »

I would only buy rabbit if it was an Akubra or if it was vintage. Anything modern and I would recommend beaver.
Woodsrunner79
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Woodsrunner79 »

Jeremiah, I'm intrigued by your reply. Why the vote for beaver? If it helps, I'm going the modern route. Either S&J or a penman.
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

When it comes to purchasing, sizing is key. Measure your head numerous times. I recommend doing it over several days, at different times. It helps reduce mis-measurements, and gets you more comfortable doing it. Be sure to have your hair cut as you would most often have it. If you are going custom, TALK TO YOUR HATTER. Follow their advice.

Then, like alex says, wear it. Don't think about it, just put it on and go. Personally, if the hat can take it, I like to wear it in the rain a few times, and tweek it afterwards (gently).

But, most current production rabbit felt hats (factory hats, mainly) don't hold up well to rain. I don't have a problem with most custom hatters rabbit felts, or with Akubra. I think Jeremiah had a really bad experience with a custom rabbit (if I remember right), so I can't blame him for how he feels. Beaver does have it's advantages, and they are worth it if you can drop that kind of money on a hat. If not, I think you'll be o.k. with either S&J or Penman in rabbit.

Lastly, to really make the hat yours, don't get hung up on the perfect screen accurate bash or whatever. Hats kind of "live" and "behave," and will be changed by what it experiences. Allow for change. Imperfection is not always a bad thing.
Glenville86
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Glenville86 »

I have both beaver and rabbit ones. The Henry and Harrison ones from different makers are a blend of rabbit and beaver. I have worn the blended ones in all kinds of weather and they really hold up well.

I always order 7 1/4 or 58 cm which is my normal size. Most are a great fit out of the box but sometimes they might be a little snug or loose. I have a hat stretcher that solves the problem for the snug ones and putting something between the sweat band and hat until it adjusts to your head works for the slightly loose ones. It is rare to get one that needs adjusted though. I recently bought a new S&J off someone who ordered a 59 cm but it fit like a 58 cm.

Like already said, wear it and adjust as needed.
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

The only thing I can think to add is if ordering a custom hat, DO NOT add to your head measurement to account for the sweatband shrinking. The sweatband will shrink ever so slightly over time, but custom hatters know this so cut the sweatbands slightly large to accommodate. Generally my custom hats have felt mildly loose right out of the box, but I tuck a little paper towel behind the sweatband and in time I have to remove the towels and have a perfect fitting hat molded to my head shape.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Woodsrunner79
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Woodsrunner79 »

Thanks for the tips so far. A real hat's an investment and I'd like to do it right coming out of the gate.