Raiders Liner

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

cropdustdair
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Raiders Liner

Post by cropdustdair »

So how do we know for sure or not that THE Raiders fedora had a white liner? I can't find any scene within the film to give a definitive confirmation on exactly what color liner was used. Any thoughts or info here?
chenricy
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Re: Raiders Liner

Post by chenricy »

Also on LC was the liner correct for the maker of that hat?
darthjones2
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by darthjones2 »

LC has an HJ liner in all the scenes I know of. They had white liners with both blue and red logos at the time.

Raiders I suspect was white with the blue shield. I got an HJ in 84 that had it at least.
cropdustdair
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by cropdustdair »

1984 would be indicative of TOD. Still wondering about evidence that would lead to people believing there was a white liner in the Raiders fedora. I've read that some have seen a white liner in it. Where or what scene in Raiders? Or are they just going off the era it was produced? Because I've also read that there was absolutely no liner in the Raiders fedora.
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

Why don't we just ask Jack@HJ? He's very open with any information he has. I'm pretty sure he stated it had a white liner with the original Blue HJ shield.

To that end, he's putting a white liner with a blue logo for the HJ reboot. We know it had a white liner in LC and as stated above, in 1984... so far it seems like it would have a white liner in Raiders as well.

Also, it might have had it both ways with a liner and without, considering they used different hats in different scenes, etc. I'm sure some of the hats had the liner ripped out, especially with as much abuse as that hat went through. I have yet to see any screen shots to prove either way considering Indy's hat is rarely off his head in the movie, so it would have to be someone that has seen and handled an original screen used hat from Raiders.

Desi or COW username "Screenused" is the guy that the main website states owns an screen used hat. I'd PM him and see if it has a liner.

Either way we know that it originally WOULD have had a liner that HJ would have used in the late 70s to early 80s. Unless you're thinking that HJ would have had the hat produced with no liner from the very beginning.... :-k

I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't have a liner in some or most of the movie but I would be surprised if it was produced without a liner but you never know...
darthjones2
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by darthjones2 »

cropdustdair wrote:1984 would be indicative of TOD. Still wondering about evidence that would lead to people believing there was a white liner in the Raiders fedora. I've read that some have seen a white liner in it. Where or what scene in Raiders? Or are they just going off the era it was produced? Because I've also read that there was absolutely no liner in the Raiders fedora.

Oh right - but I'm sure the Raiders hat came with a liner that got jacked up/ lost. And of course '84 is TOD but so close to Raiders with no sense of any other huge changes at HJ, including address, etc.

But yes, the answer is right in front of us - ask Jack! :)
cropdustdair
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by cropdustdair »

That would be awesome Jack! Thank you!
cowboy827
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by cowboy827 »

Hey, folks. I'm jumping into the discussion a little late, but I know plenty of folks that deliberately tear the liners out of their hats. They feel that the liner holds in too much heat, making it uncomfortable to wear the hat in warmer weather.

Personally, I like the look of a liner. It gives the hat a nice finished look. And I wear a cowboy hats much more often than my fedoras. In the summer months, I usually wear a straw hat instead of a fur felt. Even without a liner, my straw hat still gets pretty hot.

Given that, I would not be at all surprised to learn that the screen-worn hats had their liners torn out.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

I have two beaver felt fedoras that I use for warmer weather hats before I finally switch to my PB straw.

I not only removed the liners, but punched vent holes in the side of the crown with a leather punch for ventilation.

Works like a charm, and just the removal of the liner made a HUGE difference in the amount of heat built up in the crown.

Regard! Michaelson
Tennessee Smith
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tennessee Smith »

That's the one I ALWAYS SEE YOU IN TOO :lol:
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Yep, one of the two. I rotate them.....then the PB straw. ;)

This winter it was too warm to pull out anything else. :?

Regards! M