What knife does Indy use?

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

LANDINGPARTY
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

What knife does Indy use?

Post by LANDINGPARTY »

I've read some opinions of what knife he used in Raiders and I'm leaning towards a hubertus. Before I purchase one I wanted to check to see if anyone knows for sure what knife he used? I would really like to get the exact knife. thanks
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: What knife does Indy use?

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Perhaps this will help with your decision making.

http://indygear.com/cow/viewtopic.php?f ... lit=linder" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

Thanks Jeff. I'd all but forgotten about that thread. I thought the Hubertus was better made, and slightly more pocket knife-ish, if that makes any sense? I kept the Linder because I thought it looked more like the actual. fyi.
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

:TOH: I just did a search for Linder (that's the knife I have) and your comparison thread was the first to pop up. Very pertinent to the question at hand.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
LANDINGPARTY
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by LANDINGPARTY »

Any thoughts on the Todds costume knife? thanks
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

I can't vouch for Todd's knife as an EDC, but I have seen them in person and they certain look the part. And at a fraction of what you'd pay for a Hubertus or Linder.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Tennessee Smith
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tennessee Smith »

I own one of Todd's Indy knifes and it looks spot on. I've got no complaints whatsoever with it :TOH:
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

Todd's is a nice knife, and seems to be modeled after the Linder. It's bigger and chunkier. Not the sort of knife you literally keep in your pocket. More the type you would put in one of those belt pouches, in my opinion. I've never used it for anything,but it seems sturdy.

If you plan on a life-long practical knife that will take a pounding, a true Linder or Hubertus might be worth the investment. But for light duty or display, the Todd's should be more than sufficient.
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

depends on what you use it for but it is the difference between a $20 knife made in Pakistan vs a $55 knife made in Germany.

Due to the extremely good exchange rate, its a good time to buy a Linder. I've not seen the price that low.
LANDINGPARTY
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by LANDINGPARTY »

Thank you. I'm leaning towards a Linder, just worried about some complaints I've heard about them.
Illinois James
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois James »

I don't think the 'Raiders' knife is made in Solingen any longer, and I believe it probably has not been for some time. Mine did not indicate it was made in Germany. I purchased it about 8 years ago. Linder does still have a 'made in Solingen' line of knives, though.

Unfortunately, its a similar situation with Kissing Crane, Hen and Rooster, Henckel, etc.

And the Todds is a very good replica and well made, although I can't say how it holds an edge.

I'm partial the the Case Cheetah pattern. I have way too many. One of very few mass producers still all made in US.

I was disappointed to not find 'Solingen' on my first Linder, which was the Indy knife, the locking Hunting Knife. But it is a very well made knife.
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Interesting. I bought my Linder second hand, but I checked the box and knife and there's no indication at all where it was made.
Chewbacca Jones wrote:Todd's is a nice knife, and seems to be modeled after the Linder. It's bigger and chunkier. Not the sort of knife you literally keep in your pocket. More the type you would put in one of those belt pouches, in my opinion. I've never used it for anything,but it seems sturdy.
Once again I find myself agreeing with Chewie - great minds and all that. I wouldn't find the Linder to be comfortable to carry in my pocket.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

I don't think Todd has anymore knives available? There was one on Ebay for $50 plus shipping. Might as well get a Linder for that price.
Illinois James
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois James »

Yeah, last I checked Todd's wasn't offering them anymore. I can't remember what I paid for mine. It's well put-together, though.

One Linder seller did offer a little discount on the Hunter with some slightly defective bone handles.
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

one good place to buy it is from moonrakerknives.com is a seller in the UK, listed in the review above. He does not sell defects.
Wotalark
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Wotalark »

Thanks for an interesting discussion , and useful links. Going to try a Linder I think.

I had a Todd's and it was a lovely knife. Disappeared when we moved house, sadly. I had seen one of the removal men eyeing it. I was using it to cut parcel tape as I packed up.
They are out of stock and I've been looking for a replacement. This thread has helped enormously.

The Hubertus locks which is illegal for me in the UK, so it's a straight choice for the Linder. Plus Texan Scott's link led me to a UK stockist - if only it was always that easy.

Thanks gents.

:TOH:
Ridgerunner58
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Between the Edge of Nowhere and the Edge of Somewhere.

Post by Ridgerunner58 »

The Linder Stag Handle folder is a lock blade as well, if that's a problem. If you're not hung up on stag handles (and if you can't buy a lock blade you're already having to compromise) Jacob Bromwell sells a walnut scaled single blade folder that's pretty close in appearance and does not appear to be a lock blade.

https://www.jacobbromwell.com/traditional-pocket-knife" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

A couple more sources for the Linder:

https://www.heinnie.com/linder-hunter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.linder.de/en/artikel/312111 ... teel_blade" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Wotalark
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Wotalark »

Thanks for the options for me. As I live in the UK we have some of the tightest laws in the world. It has to be a folder to be carried.

At Moonraker Knives I found Wrights of Sheffield, fabulous value for the quality. Entirely handmade in Sheffield, England.

I ended up buying a Lamb's Foot Genuine Stag, about half way down the link .

http://www.moonrakerknives.co.uk/wright ... field.html

Highly recommended vendor and knifemaker.

Thanks again for the inspiration, saved me much perspiration