Best Indy style jacket

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Jones-Solo
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Best Indy style jacket

Post by Jones-Solo »

As a newbie here I have a question and observation, seems that most people on here prefer the LC style jacket no matter who the manufacturer is. Just wondering why? I have my first jacket coming in 2 weeks from Steele and Jones and its their Raiders style because I always wanted one from the original movie and I choose S&J because it seems pretty much universal on here they are the best manufacture for SA and customer service especially when it comes to a custom fit jacket, which is what I wanted. It will be Diego's thin cowhide, I will post pictures as soon as I get it. Just wondering if I would like a LC better? I may order on of these if I like how this one comes out. Also lambskin was the material used in the movie jackets, but due to cost and durability I choose the thin cowhide, but I'm wondering about other skins if I get another one in say the LC style. Any input and advice is welcome. Thanks.
captblitzdawg
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Re: Best Indy style jacket

Post by captblitzdawg »

Good question! I can't speak for anybody else, but Indy hardly wore the jacket in TOD and it seemed to be very close fitting so I think a lot of people just pass that one by. Raiders seems to be darker and at times, shinier than the LC jacket. The LC jacket has a nice brown that looks a little lighter than the other two jackets. The leather looks softer and I think it is more distressed than the Raiders version. I don't see a lot of difference in the LC and the KotCS which might indicate the films have settled on a definite style and cut. Again, these are my opinions (which means they are wrong :? ), and the average Joe on the street would not notice these differences at all.
Glenville86
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Glenville86 »

I like the Raiders jacket more than the others. Not big on the Wested Hero fit but have one. We are getting ready to move from Germany back to the DC area and my wife finally saw the jacket collection.... :o

I have a couple Wested in the LC style and an S&J and between the 2 of them, S&J is much better. The Wested ones like the movie one ride up whenever you raise your arms.

Have a Wested TOD that fit alright but not a favorite.

From the jackets I own, I would list them from the top:

Bill Kelso
S&J
Gibson & Barnes (not made now)
Wested
US Wings Legend Series

All are good jackets and most people will have their own favorites.

As far as skins go, I have a variety but like goatskin for lighter jacket and horsehide for a heavy jacket.
Last edited by Glenville86 on Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Forrest For the Trees »

Also, I think the LC/CS cut is a little more forgiving, in that the arm holes are a bit bigger and the sleeves can be baggier. The snaps on the storm flap are quite functional, too.

But, I would say you chose wisely. I prefer the Raiders jacket too. :TOH:
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

BK/S&J...Raiders
S&J....LC
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

For practical purposes, I prefer the freedom of movement that the LC, and the bottom snap. But my first but love is the Raiders... If it's done right. Which seems tough to come by.
captblitzdawg
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by captblitzdawg »

Forrest and Chewie- I agree the LC jacket provides better movement and is a bit more forgiving, which is what I think my Wested is.
Jones-Solo
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Jones-Solo »

Wow thanks for all of the advice and comments, if my Raiders comes out as nice as I hope I may order a LC from Diego since everyone seems to think their LC is one of the best. Still not sure of the skin, something to complement the thin cowhide I am getting, Diego said its very light weight so might want something heavier for cooler weather if the thin cowhide is lighter and can wear in warmer temps. Since the LC is lighter in color that might be a factor too anymore ideas ?
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Personally, I think a heavy cowhide, lightly pre-distressed, is a great look and weight. I find, if you leave room for a sweater underneath, it can be pretty warm (just make sure the lining is something smooth, not the cotton). The drape might not be entirely screen accurate, but heavy cowhides break in so nicely.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Depends entirely on where you live, Chewy. :-k

I RARELY get to wear any heavy weight cowhide jackets in South Central Tennessee. That would work in the Northern regions, but if you're limited to jacket wear weather, a lighter weight cowhide or goatskin would be best, THEN layer.

Gives you more season wearing time.

Regards! Michaelson
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

The LC jacket is cut the most like a 'regular' fitting jacket. The ROTA jacket if made exactly like the movie jacket has some fit quirks that some love, others find to be uncomfortable.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Michaelson wrote:Depends entirely on where you live, Chewy. :-k

I RARELY get to wear any heavy weight cowhide jackets in South Central Tennessee. That would work in the Northern regions, but if you're limited to jacket wear weather, a lighter weight cowhide or goatskin would be best, THEN layer.

Gives you more season wearing time.

Regards! Michaelson

Agreed. Even up here in the Northeast, I prefer thinner hides for the same reasons. When different hide weights fit into my budget, though, the heavy cowhide can add leather-wear opportunities up here.

So, yes, Jones-Solo; consider your usual weather patterns.
Jones-Solo
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Jones-Solo »

I live along the Ohio River in Western KY on boarder with IN. It can get cold here but this year global warming has made it have record highs in 60 and 70 with only a few days in the 20's. So Heavy Cowhide over Horse or Goat or maybe a heavy Lamb if there is such a thing. I would like it to look SA because the ROA I am getting is except I got the thin cowhide Diego had a deal on to good a deal to pass up. I would have gotten the goat but he ran out before I found out about the special. If this one fits right though I would be willing to spend more on the LC because I will know for sure I can get it fitted correctly base on the ROA I am getting. Guess I would need to get pre distressed for SA?
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

We 'Gear-folk', if you will are a bit fickle at times, regarding our jacket tastes, much less the fedora's.... however I would offer up this, I (since 'LC' came out), have always loved this version of Indy's jacket, followed by the 'TOD' jacket. I have purchased so many jackets over the years that my check book/debit card/credit cards, have all disowned me, but I have to say that now -- after all this time; I have what works for me and will till the day they carry me out 'feet first' at my funeral: 'Wested Brown Cowhide Distressed LC/CS, Wested Black 'grainy' Cowhide LC/CS and finally, Wested Heavy Lamb Distressed TOD (which, next to the Black grainy Cowhide) is my favorite of all! The search for and completion of the 'gear' chase is almost as tumultuous as 'Indy's' adventures and sometimes feels like there is never a final resolve, however within the space of time and a bit of luck, it does come to a 'happy ending', when we are satisfied in our efforts, work and expenses from the journey ;) !

For the record, I am not a big believer in luck -- but you know, sometimes one just truly does get lucky and I am a most lucky and blessed man for and with what I have, in this arena of 'Indy Gear' jackets :D ! W>
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

For full screen accuracy, yes-men pre-distressing to duplicate the film jacket is needed. But I would go easy on it, personally.
lantzn
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by lantzn »

I love wearing my Nowak KotCS often hear in the NW. Last September I gave it a second light treatment of Obenauf oil. My jacket feels like a soft leather high end car seat. Since January 2008 it had really taken on a patina and developed age wrinkles.

Album
https://www.flickr.com/gp/35223822@N08/7xC864

First photo from 2008, other two from 2016

Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Beautiful jacket! The only problem concerning this thread is the Nowak is no longer available, with the exception of an occasional used jacket wandering through the classified section. :(

Regards! Michaelson
captblitzdawg
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by captblitzdawg »

I think one thing you will learn is you will like different jackets for different reasons. My Flesh & Hide jacket is cheap, light, and I can wear it almost year round in NC. Plus it is distressing nicely because of the everyday wear. My Wested is thick, heavy, feels luxurious, and it's the companh that made Indy's jacket! Both jackets serve different purposes and get used for different occassions.
kozmoedave
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by kozmoedave »

I learned very quickly that this hobby, and for me the jackets in particular, is addicting. My intention at the start was just to get an Indy jacket. That's all. A year and a half, two jackets, two Akubras, a Mark VII with a custom leather strap, and a few web belts later, here I am, saving for another jacket and mulling over which shirt maker to go with first. I'm afraid, like so many other interests, it never ends. And once you have one jacket, you'll start wondering about other makers, patterns, and leathers.
lantzn
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by lantzn »

Michaelson wrote:Beautiful jacket! The only problem concerning this thread is the Nowak is no longer available, with the exception of an occasional used jacket wandering through the classified section. :(

Regards! Michaelson
I see your point, but the talk of the popularity of the LC/KotCS over the other two rose so I thought I share a look at one of these.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Totally understand, as I once owned a Nowak and loved it's appearance, but since this thread was specifically looking for current vendor offerings, I thought I'd toss that point out that the Nowak was no longer available, except through secondary used item sales. :TOH:

Regards! Michaelson
Capt_Zak
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Capt_Zak »

I just received my first Wested Raiders jacket (lamb) and I couldn't be happier. Definitely my favorite of any of the jackets I have owned.
kozmoedave
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by kozmoedave »

Did you go with a Hero or just OTR?
Capt_Zak
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Capt_Zak »

I went with the OTR version.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

...and for those who just tuned in, OTR means 'off the rack'.

We now return you to our regularly scheduled program, already in progress...... :CR:

Regards! Michaelson
Capt_Zak
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Capt_Zak »

:rolling:
Charybdis
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Charybdis »

On a question like "which one is best or which one do you like?" I think it's up the person as an individual. Personally, I do not like the LC jacket. I don't like how the distressing looks. My favorite is the Raiders. So, everyone has their likes and dislikes. The cool thing about this hobby is that there is so much available out there.

Nothing wrong with getting them all!!