Ordering an Akubra Federation IV

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

temple_runner
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by temple_runner »

I'm planning to upgrade from my vintage 84' Stetson fedora to an Akubra Federation IV (Standard) very soon.

I've scoured the forums looking at all the reviews and hopefully I'm making a good decision.

On Akubra's website, it states, "As many of our hats are sold to Indiana Jones fans we are of course sensitive to requests they make regarding the specifications of the hat."

I was wondering if there are any specific requests that I should make when ordering so that I get what I'm looking for? Not sure what they offer as far as special requests.
Dalexs
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Ordering an Akubra Federation IV

Post by Dalexs »

https://hatsdirect.com/pages/the-federation-iv" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

These are factory made hats. They are shipped open crown, as is.
There really isn't any special requests on a per order basis.

I read the description you mentioned, and I believe they are referring to requests made to improve aspects
of the hat in future production. Things like the ribbon, bow design, etc...

But honestly, these are one of the best off the rack hats you are going to find.
And the price is always right.

Dalexs
Synycyl
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Synycyl »

How well do open crown hats hold their shape? Do they eventually establish a "memory" or do they require constant reshaping?
temple_runner
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by temple_runner »

Dalexs wrote:https://hatsdirect.com/pages/the-federation-iv

These are factory made hats. They are shipped open crown, as is.
There really isn't any special requests on a per order basis.

I read the description you mentioned, and I believe they are referring to requests made to improve aspects
of the hat in future production. Things like the ribbon, bow design, etc...

But honestly, these are one of the best off the rack hats you are going to find.
And the price is always right.

Dalexs
Okay, thanks. It kind of threw me for a loop because I didn't think they would have time in a factory to make requests. I can see all the Indy fans sending in their screen caps.
Dalexs
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Dalexs »

Synycyl wrote:How well do open crown hats hold their shape? Do they eventually establish a "memory" or do they require constant reshaping?
It's not so much about open crown. All hats start out that way.
Like any hat, it really depends on the felt and how much stiffener is in the hat.

I have an original Fed Deluxe that's held it shape from day 1, and I wear it in all sorts of weather.

My original regular Fed needed tweaks after getting extremely wet (talking Pacific Northwest wet!)
but it was never that big of a deal. 15 years later, it's definitely seen better days.

I have no experience with current Fed's, so maybe someone else can chime in on that.

Dalexs
Glenville86
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Glenville86 »

I have some newer feds and once you bash them, they keep the bash. Sides may taper a little if they get pretty wet.

I also have the Campdraft and Squatter that come open crown and they are great hats as well.
kozmoedave
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by kozmoedave »

I have two Fed IV deluxe that are a few months old. Neither has any trouble keeping their bash.
Synycyl
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Synycyl »

Looks like a great entry level fedora. I may have just found my next purchase.
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Nothing entry level about it, other than the price. FedIVs are great hats that will serve you well for years.

The addition I will make to the conversation is to carefully measure yourself.

Over the years it's been said that the FedIV runs both small and large to size so that's not much help. :?

What has been helpful is a tip Michaelson has shared. Get your head measurement and when you place your order, give them your exact measurement (59.3cm, for example) and ask them to measure the specific hat they are going to ship to make sure it's as close to your measurement as possible. They size their hats by centimeters so you'll only be able to get so close if you aren't exact on a whole number, but as there is some "wiggle room" up or down in any given hat, they can help fit you as custom as possible for a factory hat.

That's some of the "we are sensitive to requests" customer service they will provide due to the positive relationship COW has built over the years.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Synycyl
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Synycyl »

Sorry. Poor word choice on my part. I meant it was a good first fedora for me, nothing more. Looks like a great hat. Thanks for passing on the measurement tip.
temple_runner
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by temple_runner »

Indiana Jeff wrote:Nothing entry level about it, other than the price. FedIVs are great hats that will serve you well for years.

The addition I will make to the conversation is to carefully measure yourself.

Over the years it's been said that the FedIV runs both small and large to size so that's not much help. :?

What has been helpful is a tip Michaelson has shared. Get your head measurement and when you place your order, give them your exact measurement (59.3cm, for example) and ask them to measure the specific hat they are going to ship to make sure it's as close to your measurement as possible. They size their hats by centimeters so you'll only be able to get so close if you aren't exact on a whole number, but as there is some "wiggle room" up or down in any given hat, they can help fit you as custom as possible for a factory hat.

That's some of the "we are sensitive to requests" customer service they will provide due to the positive relationship COW has built over the years.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Thanks, that really helps.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Indiana Jeff wrote:That's some of the "we are sensitive to requests" customer service they will provide due to the positive relationship COW has built over the years.
Regards,
Indiana Jeff
....that, and the fact a couple of us actually helped them DEVELOP the Federation might help too! ;)

Regards! Michaelson
temple_runner
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by temple_runner »

I am ordering my Akubra Fed IV Deluxe today. Couple of questions:

1) Should I measure my head tightly or leave a little wiggle room?

2) Should I email them with my order to tell them my exact size if I am in between?
Charybdis
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Charybdis »

Not tight on the measurement, just "there.". I would send measurements just in case.
temple_runner
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by temple_runner »

It's official! Ordered!

Now I have only to anxiously await it's arrival.
Synycyl
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Synycyl »

I have decided on the same hat, but I'm probably a month or two away from pulling the trigger on that purchase. Please share how your purchase turns out.
temple_runner
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by temple_runner »

Synycyl wrote:I have decided on the same hat, but I'm probably a month or two away from pulling the trigger on that purchase. Please share how your purchase turns out.
Most people said it will show up in less than a week, so keep a look out and I will post some pics and a review.

I've been saving for a few months. Originally I was going to buy a new pistol for myself, but decided I had too many of those and needed an everyday hat. It's cold out.
Synycyl
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Synycyl »

It sounds like we share some similar interests. Remember, it's not that you have too many, but rather you have just enough at this point in time!
Charybdis
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Charybdis »

I just wanted to mention this since we are talking entry level price point but everyone wanting to order should have as much info about the hats as possible.

A standard Fed IV is priced at $105US.
The Deluxe is $137.
And just to throw a wrench into it, for $200 you can start to get into custom hats with a Garrison.
temple_runner
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by temple_runner »

Today I received a box all the way from Katoomba, Australia, which could only mean one thing: the Alkubra Federation IV Deluxe has arrived!

Below are some unboxing photos and some photos of me wearing the hat after a very quick steam-assisted bashing. Definitely need to work on the front some more.

The people at Alkubra did a very good job packaging this hat and even included a note about the proper sizing they did for me. I took the advice from this site and included my exact measurements, which paid off.

I've found the bashing much more difficult than I expected. Not that the hat does not respond well, but now every little detail is available to be molded to my liking. Too many options! I'm sure I'll be working the bash over and over until it's perfect.

Enjoy!

ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

WELL done! :D

A lot of folks never believe us when we recommend sending your actual head measurement, as that way THEY don't have to deal with a return, and YOU don't end up with a hat that doesn't fit!

Thank you for listening to us!! :clap:

You did a GREAT job on the bash. It will slowly take on it's own personal characteristics as you wear and handle it on a daily basis.

Once again, WELL done!

Regard! Michaelson :M:
temple_runner
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by temple_runner »

When I sent in my measurement, I thought to myself, "They aren't really gonna read this."

Then, I never received a reply or comment, so I was sure. I think the inclusion of a handwritten note really shows they go the extra mile. I am really impressed with their company.

Thanks for the compliment on the bash. This hat sure feels WWWAAAYYYY better on my head than the old $20 Dorfman-Pacific or $1 Stetson from 1984. You can feel the quality.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

They're nice, personable folks, and yep, you have a REAL quality hat on your head now!

Regard! Michaelson
Synycyl
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Synycyl »

Nice hat and great looking bash. Thanks for sharing.

Syn
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Well done. The fedora looks very natural on you, wear in in good health.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Jeremiah
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Jeremiah »

Looks great.
Howard Weinstein
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Howard Weinstein »

Glad you like it. Good choice (I have 3 Fed IVs), and Naomi and Trudi are very helpful.
Your initial bash looks good! But, yeah, it's hard to resist tweaking (and re-tweaking!).

A word of caution about steam (which it sounds like you already know): steam sparingly! Over-steaming may shrink/taper the hat. (I know, I've done it :( )

If you're relatively new at doing your own bashing, it's actually a lot of fun. And when you wear your hat, you'll know it's truly customized.
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

temple_runner wrote:Today I received a box all the way from Katoomba, Australia, which could only mean one thing.....

....you have a new boomerang? oh? #-o
jkdbuck76
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by jkdbuck76 »

Can't go wrong with a Fed IV Deluxe. A good hat. They hold up well.
captblitzdawg
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by captblitzdawg »

Just pulled the trigger on a Fed 4! Now the impatient wait begins!
temple_runner
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by temple_runner »

captblitzdawg wrote:Just pulled the trigger on a Fed 4! Now the impatient wait begins!
I have worn mine for over a month now and I love it!

I have not shied away from rain or weather and it has held up great! I get nothing but compliments (including the rare "Indiana Jones," which I find more appealing than insulting.)

You won't be disappointed!
captblitzdawg
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by captblitzdawg »

I wisely followed the suggestions in this thread and measured my head. I included the note with the exact size & mentioned I have fast growing, thick hair that is cut short right now, but if my hair grows out, will the fit still be good? I got a reply a couple hours later where they said their sizing leans to being smaller. The ladies measured hats until they found one that was 0.2 cm bigger to account for hair and shrinkage. I am now waiting for two weeks to get here.
kozmoedave
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by kozmoedave »

The customer service at Akubra is excellent. I stated above that I have two, and I plan on at least one more from them.
Also, that hat looks great! I found bashing easy, but I'm not going for a particular film or scene, just a general vibe.
elro2k
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by elro2k »

Anyone know how long it takes for an Akubra IV Deluxe to get to the states? Will it be less than a month? Or should I just get a David Morgan Adventurer to cut out some of the wait time?
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Barring weird shipping/customs delays, Feds usually reach the US in a couple of weeks.

The Adventurer from David Morgan is a (to those of us around here) very different hat. Fine as quality goes, but the Fed was specifically created to be worn as an Indiana Jones fedora.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

It's been quiet a few years since my last order from HatsDirect, but back then I usually had my hats in a week to 10 days.
kozmoedave
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by kozmoedave »

I'm in Michigan. The two I have took exactly two weeks from the date the order was placed. I looked at the Morgan one, too, but came to the conclusion I'd be happier in the long run with a Fed. It's worth the wait.
captblitzdawg
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by captblitzdawg »

Mine is sitting in New York. Has been for about two days according to the tracking....
elro2k
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by elro2k »

Thanks everyone. I think I'll order one today or tomorrow. I'll keep you all updated :TOH:

One more thing. Dark Brown is the accurate color correct?
temple_runner
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by temple_runner »

When I was waiting on mine to arrive, I noticed that once it hit the U.S. it took quite a bit of time (3-4 days) before I had any updates. This was probably Customs. After that, it arrived very quickly. All in all, it took probably 10-12 days total from Australia to my doorstep. The packaging was nice and they gave me a handwritten note. Very good service on their part. I'd order another, but, really, this hat will last me a lifetime (barring any Indian spike rooms).
elro2k
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by elro2k »

Just ordered my Akubra deluxe! I'm super excited. I'm doing a Boy Scout Indy cosplay but I want to do a raiders bash just because it's my favorite. I took the advice of giving them my exact head measurement. And now the waiting begins...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kdragseth
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by kdragseth »

I ordered my Fed IV last Wednesday. I only check the Australia Post tracking page a dozen times a day.
elro2k
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by elro2k »

kdragseth wrote:I ordered my Fed IV last Wednesday. I only check the Australia Post tracking page a dozen times a day.
Has yours shipped yet? How long does it take to get out of the shop?
elro2k
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by elro2k »

temple_runner wrote:When I was waiting on mine to arrive, I noticed that once it hit the U.S. it took quite a bit of time (3-4 days) before I had any updates. This was probably Customs. After that, it arrived very quickly. All in all, it took probably 10-12 days total from Australia to my doorstep. The packaging was nice and they gave me a handwritten note. Very good service on their part. I'd order another, but, really, this hat will last me a lifetime (barring any Indian spike rooms).
Is that 10-12 days after the order or how long it took after it was shipped. How long does it take to get made?

temple_runner
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by temple_runner »

The hats are not handmade, but machine made. It doesn't take but probably a day to make.
elro2k
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by elro2k »

temple_runner wrote:The hats are not handmade, but machine made. It doesn't take but probably a day to make.
So it took the 10-12 days from ordering to doorstep?

captblitzdawg
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by captblitzdawg »

My Akubra arrived a few days ago. I am still getting it broken in, but I honestly like it- even with me having to bash it! The hold up in getting it was the 8 days it sat in NY!
I think I will look into ordering a grey one next year for my "Clipper" hat.
temple_runner
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by temple_runner »

elro2k wrote:
temple_runner wrote:The hats are not handmade, but machine made. It doesn't take but probably a day to make.
So it took the 10-12 days from ordering to doorstep?

Yes
Jeremiah
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Jeremiah »

Hat looks great Captain.

I have one Akubra. It's a down under model though. Still great hat to take on adventure. Tough as nails.
kdragseth
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by kdragseth »

elro2k wrote:
kdragseth wrote:I ordered my Fed IV last Wednesday. I only check the Australia Post tracking page a dozen times a day.
Has yours shipped yet? How long does it take to get out of the shop?
It finally arrived yesterday. So that's 15 days from ordering. It shipped right away, but like everyone else said, it sits in New York for ages. The Australian post office can't really track it once it's here. So in a fit of desperation, I tried the tracking number on USPS and it totally works. Finally got my hands on it tonight and implemented the bash. I'm thrilled! :D