Post your Adventurebilts here!

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Re: Post your Adventurebilts here!

Post by Michaelson »

Toldog07 wrote:How much are original AB hats going for these days? I have an AB raiders beaver felt fedora with the original lining with the headpiece on it that I may be looking to sell
Its all a matter of what you think it's worth, and what folks are willing to pay.

I had one of his custom green AB's for sale here a couple months ago in pure beaver felt, priced lower than a rabbit 'clone', and not so much as a single inquiry.

Just depends on the mood of the buyer, and if you're willing to 'give it away'. ;)

Regard! Michaelson
LouisiannaJames26
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by LouisiannaJames26 »

Toldog07 wrote:How much are original AB hats going for these days? I have an AB raiders beaver felt fedora with the original lining with the headpiece on it that I may be looking to sell
Any idea how to contact this member, i tried sending so many pms to him but he wouldn't check his club obi wan message
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Other than an email, also available through the message center, there's no other way to contact them if they decide not to check their PM box.

Regard! Michaelson
LouisiannaJames26
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Michaelson wrote:Other than an email, also available through the message center, there's no other way to contact them if they decide not to check their PM box.

Regard! Michaelson
Thanks
Clipper
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Clipper »

Hey all. I just got back from a 2 week trip to Costa Rica with my trusty Adventurebilt KOTKS fedora. After a 5 year wait for the hat I've now owned her for 3 and a half years. At this point she is well broken and seen some mileage. Costa Rica was insanely hot and humid, but you get used to it after a while as long as you have water. We took a nice hike through the jungle and I found the one vine that seemed strong enough to take a big swing and I went for it! Unfortunately the video won't upload to photobucket to share but here are a few highlights! They had a full old airplane in a restaurant so I had to climb in the cockpit and pretend I was in TOD.

Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

:clap: :M: :tup:
Jeremiah
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Jeremiah »

Nice. Love the color. My AB raiders has taken on such a lovely color after 2 years.
Clipper
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Clipper »

Jeremiah wrote:Nice. Love the color. My AB raiders has taken on such a lovely color after 2 years.
Thanks. Me too. It actually was already a pretty great color when I first got it. My penman crusade was darker. I have to imagine the felt had already been aging a few years in Steve's workshop before he got around to making it but it has aged nicely. A little dirt and sweat gives it a lot of character. Here's a shot from the day I got it. Brand spanking new (10/24/2013). Waiting patiently for 5 years, 7 months and 12 days. I will never ever let her go.

Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Forrest For the Trees »

Wow. That really is a spot-on LC hat. You wear it well, sir.
Screencapped
Vendor

Post by Screencapped »

Steve used a rather dark felt , or so i thought, for the Raiders hat I got from him about a month ago. I discovered that with a little pouncing/sanding I could achieve a color that was a bit more of a medium brown. I guess it was the repellent that caused the felt to appear so dark? Then again I heard that Steve's using the felt David Garrison used to use which was fairly dark also. :TOH:
Jeremiah
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Jeremiah »

Mine was dark at first. After a reblock I feel it has settled into a very nice color.
Duck
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Duck »

Wish I had received my AB.....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
SpeedRcrX
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by SpeedRcrX »

Yesterday I had the Indy vibes with my Adventurebilt CS and TNO Raiders jacket

Jeremiah
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Jeremiah »

Looking good.
Always in a mood to wear my AB

LouisiannaJames26
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

I love the color it has faded into \:D/ and the ribbon was it replaced? because i saw a pic of your ab ribbon faded to a med brown, just askin :-k
Jeremiah
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Jeremiah »

Yeah. New ribbon with the reblock.
IndianaGear Hunter
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by IndianaGear Hunter »

Last edited by IndianaGear Hunter on Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Chewie Louie
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Chewie Louie »

IndianaGear Hunter wrote:Coming up on 9 years for two hats.
Numerous emails have gone unanswered.
Offers to roll payment of two hats just to get one have gone unanswered.
Offers to pay the difference have gone unanswered.

But funny how when one inquiries about purchasing a new hat I get a reply in two days and continued correspondence over 5 days until I mentioned that I had two orders I am still waiting on...... then all emails stop.
I feel your pain. Today is actually the nine year anniversary of my order. All emails and letters I have sent to get a status or to offer more money to get my hat have gone unanswered.
belloq
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by belloq »

Misery loves company. I wish I could post my fedora, but alas, it will be nine years of nondelivery for me too this April. The only upside of this nightmare was finding a modicum of solace by sharing my frustration and sense of betrayal with the many fellow defrauded customers here and elsewhere.
SpeedRcrX
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by SpeedRcrX »

Jeremiah wrote:Looking good.
Always in a mood to wear my AB
Thank you!
LouisiannaJames26
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Jeremiah wrote:Yeah. New ribbon with the reblock.
Sorry to ask but is the new ribbon an AB or Penman?
Jeremiah
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Jeremiah »

Well? It was reblocked by Penman and I did ask him to reblock on his raiders block, but liner and sweat are what Steve puts in. John has all his supplies and blocks. As for the ribbon I could assume it was what John uses or Steve uses but pretty sure they both use the same ribbon so that's all I know.
Screencapped
Vendor

Post by Screencapped »

Jeremiah wrote:Well? It was reblocked by Penman and I did ask him to reblock on his raiders block, but liner and sweat are what Steve puts in. John has all his supplies and blocks. As for the ribbon I could assume it was what John uses or Steve uses but pretty sure they both use the same ribbon so that's all I know.
I've bought two hats from Steve in the last year and neither had the sort of grosgrain ribbon he used years ago before the fallout. The first was sort of a purplish ribbon that I sent to JP to have redone with the good stuff. The last one I got a month ago or so was a little better. It's identical to Garrison's ribbon. :TOH:
Jeremiah
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Jeremiah »

That may explain my ribbon that came with the AB when I got it and why it faded to a purple color. Could also have been a reaction to the water repellant spray I used on it when I got it over two years ago.

This ribbon had had equal amounts of sun and no fading yet that I can tell.
Crazyc2314
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Crazyc2314 »

I was wondering about the raiders legacy collection hat. Wondering ya 'll have some pictures that someone could post please
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

There are ABLegacy hats posted in the Penman thread.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
zaynecarrick
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by zaynecarrick »

My beaver AB Raiders got squished by the Indiana Jones ride transport again. Still came out of it in pristine shape again. :lol:
LouisiannaJames26
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Hi Guys, bought this rabbit AB from a member here secondhand, i am also waiting on a beaver variety, love this hat,
This is the link to the album
https://imageshack.us/a/Tmkl/1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
:D Enjoy!
Last edited by LouisiannaJames26 on Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Clipper
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Clipper »

Well I guess I had a little too much time on my hands tonight to play around with my photoshop skills. I wanted to give my AB KOTCS more of a last crusade bash today, so a little steam and I got it looking just how I wanted. I was aiming for the motorcycle chase scene (not the next scene where they stop to discuss which direction to go right after and it looks totally different). I got it so close I thought I'd compare to the screenshot from the movie... Then realized my face lines up really well with Harrison's so I was able to pull this together... :D

From left to right is the real movie shot, then my composite with my mug and lid, then what I used from my own pic, trying to capture the angle as best as I could. I couldn't get it perfect so I had to borrow Harrison's right ear and the right side of the hat to get the shading right. It is very close. but the AB does have a taller crown which is now obvious to me as you can see in the unedited original photo on the far right. I had to feather off the top a pinch.

Charybdis
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Charybdis »

Hey, that's pretty cool!! Looks just about perfect!!
LouisiannaJames26
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

The more i wear this hat, the more i loved it \:D/
jnicktem
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by jnicktem »

I recently purchased an Adventurebilt on eBay. It arrived today and after cleaning it up and changing the bash (the bash had something that looked like Penmans "Marlo") to a Raiders style- I am pretty happy with it!

Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Forrest For the Trees »

Nice! Good to see you around these parts again. :TOH:
jnicktem
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by jnicktem »

Thanks! I've been lurking for the past couple of years. I just don't contribute as much to forums as I used to.

Here is a pic showing the AB how it looked when I got it to when I was done transforming it and cleaning it:

LouisiannaJames26
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

jnicktem wrote:Thanks! I've been lurking for the past couple of years. I just don't contribute as much to forums as I used to.

Here is a pic showing the AB how it looked when I got it to when I was done transforming it and cleaning it:

:shock:
Wow thats awesome!
Clipper
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Clipper »

Im curious...

I've looking at pulling the trigger on a second hat. Candidates are Penman everyman, AdVintage Harrison and S&J (probably LC). So I was wondering if the CS hat specs are identical to the Raiders AB hats or no? They sure are similar if not identical.

I just figure if I get a second hat I will keep one as a cleaner dress hat and make one a Raiders (that probably being the AB, and the one I take on travels). As seen above, my AB is CS with a pretty large brim. Larger in front and back than even the Raiders specs it seems. Would be a great Raiders specimen.
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Steve always said his Raiders and CS blocks were very close but the specs on the hats are slightly different. This link lists the dimensions of each hat for your comparison. http://indygear.com/igfedora.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Screencapped
Vendor

Post by Screencapped »

1BAT4U wrote:Im curious...

I've looking at pulling the trigger on a second hat. Candidates are Penman everyman, AdVintage sHarrison and S&J (probably LC). So I was wondering if the CS hat specs are identical to the Raiders AB hats or no? They sure are similar if not identical.

I just figure if I get a second hat I will keep one as a cleaner dress hat and make one a Raiders (that probably being the AB, and the one I take on travels). As seen above, my AB is CS with a pretty large brim. Larger in front and back than even the Raiders specs it seems. Would be a great Raiders specimen.
I vote for Steele&Jones LC. I got one a week ago and I couldn't be more pleased. The block, felt texture/color, ribbon is spot on imo. Right now I have it bashed like the Venice pier fedora with a lot of curl in the brim but sooner or later once the new wears off , I'll remove the kid gloves and dust it up and go for the grail temple look. :TOH:
Clipper
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Clipper »

Thanks Indiana Jeff! I can't believe I didn't see that they listed the specs there in the KOTCS section... It says that the Fedoras in the movie were either 2 3/4" in the front and back, or 2 7/8". Mine measures right at 3" in front and back, so it seems to be a bit larger than any of the measurements I've seen posted. I wonder how much that changes the look, and if I should consider trimming it. It's also not a perfect cut... what I mean is there are a couple small "waves" that keep it from being a perfectly cut round edge. I've considered taking some fine sandpaper to it to smooth it out, but I'm kind of afraid to touch it.

And thank you anindyjones! I just placed my order for a Steele & Jones '38! I also have them making me a LC jacket. Cannot wait!
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

What size hat do you wear? Keep in mind, like jackets, hat measurements are adjusted per the actual size of the person.

Those measurements taken off the screen used CS hats were made for Ford, and for his hat size. If you don't wear Ford's hat size, then the brim won't be exactly the same, and might actually look wrong on YOUR head.

It's also proportional to your crown height. Personally I think you have a fine looking hat as is.

Just something to mull over before you start irreversible surgery on your AB.

You can always remove material, but you can NOT put it back!

Regards! Michaelson
Clipper
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Clipper »

Michaelson wrote:What size hat do you wear? Keep in mind, like jackets, hat measurements are adjusted per the actual size of the person.

Those measurements taken off the screen used CS hats were made for Ford, and for his hat size. If you don't wear Ford's hat size, then the brim won't be exactly the same, and might actually look wrong on YOUR head.

It's also proportional to your crown height. Personally I think you have a fine looking hat as is.

Just something to mull over before you start irreversible surgery on your AB.

You can always remove material, but you can NOT put it back!

Regards! Michaelson

My size is actually very close to Ford's, as Steve said he used the same block for mine as he did for Harrisons. The crown height seems to be 5 1/2" right on (I'll try to measure again tonight), so I imagine a small trim would not affect the look in a negative way. I do agree that it does look good. I am just trying to figure out if it's correct or mine is just extra large as I already find the brim on the large side. If it's bigger than it should be then I would be interested in shaving it off to the right size.

Steve told me in his first email back in March of 2008 that "Harrison's head measures 22 7/8. He is between sizes. Between a 7 1/4 and a 7 3/8. Thanks. Steve"

My hat was made at 23 1/8". So only 2/8th of an inch difference.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Well, as any one will tell you around here, it's your hat. If you're not happy with the sizing, regardless of reason, it's yours to do with.

I'm just saying make sure of your reasons before cutting.

Are you trying to make it work better for your face shape, size, or are you trying to re-create Ford's hat?

The big concern here is 'we' don't want to see you come back saying 'MAN, I wish I hadn't done that!' #-o

We've seen it said before. :|

That said, though, once you have made up your mind, lock and load! :M: :tup:

Best of luck! :TOH:

Regard! M
Clipper
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Clipper »

Michaelson wrote:Well, as any one will tell you around here, it's your hat. If you're not happy with the sizing, regardless of reason, it's yours to do with.

I'm just saying make sure of your reasons before cutting.

Are you trying to make it work better for your face shape, size, or are you trying to re-create Ford's hat?

Once you have made up your mind, lock and load! :M: :tup:

Best of luck! :TOH:

Regard! M
Both? haha

No I absolutely agree. And I want to be very sure before I'd consider any changes to this hat.
I mean it's just pretty cool to own the real thing, made by steve, on the same block as Ford's etc. So yeah, having it be an exact "recreation" of Ford's is really just fun bragging rights and I would like it to look like what we see on screen. But it really does already...

Personally, since the sides seem to be the same measurement, that's mostly what I care about when I look in the mirror. I think any slimmer there and the crown would look even taller.

As for the front and back; I really don't know that shortening those from 3" to 2 3/4" or 2 7/8" will even change the look whatsoever, and I think I'm ok with them now with the CS/LC bash. BUT, if I do turn it into a Raiders bash, I want to make sure it will pull off the right look before I put that tight pinch in there, especially with the brim turn. That added amount of material there in the front and back may become much more apparent with the "raiders turn".
Clipper
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Clipper »

Ok Michaelson. I've decided. No cutting! It's perfect as is.

But... I have decided to take the plunge and turn it from a CS into a Streets of Cairo bash (not dirty yet though). Man is this bash hard to nail! And the muffin top... Don't get me started!

I should probably share this elsewhere but am too excited to shere! I am pretty happy with how it's looking so far.

Bad lighting and taking selfie in the mirror but you get the idea...

Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Well done! :clap:

This further proves the point that Steve always said you could get a great ROLA look from his CS block.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

BRAVO!!! :M: :tup:

HOMERUN! \:D/

Regards! Michaelson
Charybdis
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Charybdis »

Looks pretty close to my eye!!! Very nice work!!! :clap:
LouisiannaJames26