Speaking of the Grey Raiders Travel Hat ...

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Tinplatejeff
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Speaking of the Grey Raiders Travel Hat ...

Post by Tinplatejeff »

I'm about to order one from Garrison Hatters. This will be my first grey Indy hat. But I'm stuck on deciding between the bash as seen in the Clipper scene or the Washington, D.C. scene at the end of Raiders. How do others feel about it?

Clipper hat:

Washington hat:

:-k
cropdustdair
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Re: Speaking of the Grey Raiders Travel Hat ...

Post by cropdustdair »

I like both, but if I had to pick, I'd go with the Washington scene. I compare the grey bashes to the following scenes.
The grey Clipper bash = The Idol Temple brown fedora bash
The grey Washington bash = The brown SOC bash
IMO.
Just curious. How much are the Garrison grey fedoras?
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

Tinplatejeff wrote:I'm about to order one from Garrison Hatters. This will be my first grey Indy hat. But I'm stuck on deciding between the bash as seen in the Clipper scene or the Washington, D.C. scene at the end of Raiders. How do others feel about it?

Clipper hat:

Washington hat:

:-k
Well, to me.... The first shot from the plane-scene is the best of the 'two pictures', offered here. Now that being said -- go back to what I just said; 'the best of the 'two pictures', offered here' .... meaning, I don't think there is any difference in the 'bash' -- only the difference in the settings and the lighting around the shots. I think they are truly the same. Lighting and the many variations in how the lighting is done (or just is, in real life), can and does make a definitive difference in how things appear in the final results (especially on film). Just my two cents here. Truthfully, I don't see any major differences. Either way, I am certain you will be quite pleased with David's offering of the 'Clipper style-grey/gray) fedora. W>
Tinplatejeff
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Tinplatejeff »

Thanks for a the replies. Garrison charges $250 for rabbit and $450 for beaver plus $25 shipping. I'm leaning towards the rabbit. I'd love a beaver hat someday, but I can't justify the extra cost at this time.

As far as the bashes, Garrison has told me the two scenes are indeed different. He explained in detail how each one is done. I've asked his permission to share that info here. I'll post it later if he is OK with it.

:)
Last edited by Tinplatejeff on Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
davidafshar
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by davidafshar »

I'd have to rewatch the scenes to be sure (hey, any excuse, right?), but based on these two pictures, I like the Washington bash. Just my two cents. Either is cool.
cropdustdair
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by cropdustdair »

Although the middle photo of Ford standing by the plane with the fan, does depict his Clipper fedora bash as SOC-ish as well. Hmmm.
Glenville86
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Glenville86 »

I have never liked the Raiders bash.... :CR: I do have a couple with the Raiders bash hoping I would warm up to them but did not. Still wear them sometimes but like the other 3 movie hats much better.

For my travel hat from AdVintage, I got a CS bash.
Tinplatejeff
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Tinplatejeff »

With the kind permission of David Garrison I am posting this. These are David's words describing the grey travel hat bashes:

"The clipper bash is very simply bashed with the front shapes being very shallow as compared to the brown hat. The center bash is shallow as well and is gusher in the back than the brown. This give the hat a taller look. The brim has a droop in the front with the rest of the brim being basic flat.

The Washington hat has a bit of a drop in the back of the center bash. Standard curl in the back of the brim. Giving it a bit more traditional 30's look.

The option is yours. I tend to go with the clipper hat style bash because it has such a different look than the brown fedora."

:TOH:
Screencapped
Vendor

Post by Screencapped »

The good thing is ,with the felt David uses you can bash and rebash and bash over and over...if you're not satisfied with whatever shape you fashion the hat into. I got a new hat from him last month, bashed it with the turn, decided I didn't like it so I smoothed it back out and moved the pinch to center, eventually realized I didn't like the way it looked so now the turn's back! All that arranging and rearranging and it never left a stress line in the felt where I'd pinched it really tight. I couldn't get away with that with my hat from Todd suffice to say. :TOH
Long story short: David uses a very high quality felt. :TOH: :
Charybdis
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Charybdis »

And based upon David's recent post, his hat prices are going up soon. So I would make my mind up quick and order before the price goes up!
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

anindyjones wrote:Long story short: David uses a very high quality felt. :TOH: :
Winchester Hat Co. makes good felt....and yes, I'm biased. They're located about 10 miles from where I'm sitting, and in Winchester, TN....the county seat of the county I live in here in Tennessee. ;)

Regard! Michaelson
Tinplatejeff
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Tinplatejeff »

anindyjones wrote:The good thing is ,with the felt David uses you can bash and rebash and bash over and over...if you're not satisfied with whatever shape you fashion the hat into. I got a new hat from him last month, bashed it with the turn, decided I didn't like it so I smoothed it back out and moved the pinch to center, eventually realized I didn't like the way it looked so now the turn's back! All that arranging and rearranging and it never left a stress line in the felt where I'd pinched it really tight. I couldn't get away with that with my hat from Todd suffice to say. :TOH
Long story short: David uses a very high quality felt. :TOH: :
Wow! Rabbit or Beaver?

:shock:
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

Tinplatejeff wrote:With the kind permission of David Garrison I am posting this. These are David's words describing the grey travel hat bashes:

"The clipper bash is very simply bashed with the front shapes being very shallow as compared to the brown hat. The center bash is shallow as well and is gusher in the back than the brown. This give the hat a taller look. The brim has a droop in the front with the rest of the brim being basic flat.

The Washington hat has a bit of a drop in the back of the center bash. Standard curl in the back of the brim. Giving it a bit more traditional 30's look.

The option is yours. I tend to go with the clipper hat style bash because it has such a different look than the brown fedora."

:TOH:
I will be the first to say, I was wrong on this.... I truly thought it was more of a 'lighting and conditions-of-shoot thing', but with David's feedback and knowledge (he has a really great eye on hats and what is going on with each), I must suggest that he is probably on the right track. Therefore, I acquiesce to his expertise in this matter.

As to choice.... this is an 'individual issue' -- determined on which one makes you the happiest in the long run of things.

:TOH: , to David.... I have illumination and this, is good! W>
Tinplatejeff
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Tinplatejeff »

I placed my order today before the price increase. David said only 4-6 weeks for production right now. I'm super stoked! He said I have until he makes it to decide the bash. I'll post pictures when I receive it.

:D