Vintage Herbert Johnson Poet - Early 70s?

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Meglos
Grail Recovery Volunteer
Grail Recovery Volunteer

Vintage Herbert Johnson Poet - Early 70s?

Post by Meglos »

Hi guys,
I found this hat on ebay. Not my size sadly but then I wouldn't wear it anyway, it's for display if anything. The size is 6 7/8. It's a plush sort of chocolate brown and unbelievably soft. As a Doctor Who fan its a huge fan to finally have one, it being almost identical (albeit not in the right colour) to Tom Baker's green hat as worn in the latter 70s. He did have a brown Herbert Johnson but that was the regular finish felt. He would also go on to have a custom dyed burgundy version in 1980. It's in lovely condition, the brim pops up and down and can be shaped at will as can the crown. The only thing wrong condition wise that I can see is that the liner isn't help up inside so it falls down in the middle. I don't know whether it was originally glued but I doubt it'd be too difficult for a competent milliner to sort out. As you can see it shares the same sweatband as Tom Baker's, with the 38 New Bond St. text in the same typeface, as well as the blue crest on the liner. I'm not sure on the date of production however and I'd love to know more about it.

Tibor
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Re: Vintage Herbert Johnson Poet - Early 70s?

Post by Tibor »

Looks like mink... warm and furry
Synycyl
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Synycyl »

I am a Doctor Who fan as well. I had forgotten about the hat connection between Ford and Baker.

Perhaps that hat is the Doctor's hat from the Seeds of Doom where he lands in Antarctica? Fuzzy for extra warmth!
Jack@HJ
Vendor

Post by Jack@HJ »

Hi Meglos.

Very nice find.

I will have the production date for tomorrow.

The hat is a long haired melusine rabbit.

Regards Jack@hj.
3thoubucks
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by 3thoubucks »

These come up often on Ebay. I have a black one. Dakota Ellison sanded one down for an Indy hat. Has a block with vertical sides, and taper front and back. 5 and a half inch crown. Excessive brim flange. Floppy, very high quality, luxurious.
Meglos
Grail Recovery Volunteer
Grail Recovery Volunteer

Post by Meglos »

3thoubucks wrote:These come up often on Ebay. I have a black one. Dakota Ellison sanded one down for an Indy hat. Has a block with vertical sides, and taper front and back. 5 and a half inch crown. Excessive brim flange. Floppy, very high quality, luxurious.
Very luxurious yeah, what surprises me is how malleable it is and yet it pops back into it's shape. I guess thats a quality attributed to the 'Raiders' too? But despite being 50 or so years old it still has the upturned brim in place and will revert to it. I've been displaying it on a tailor's dummy with the front popped down.