Hero in horse or goat?

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

kozmoedave
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Hero in horse or goat?

Post by kozmoedave »

The only Indy jacket I own is a Todd's. It's as SA as I'll ever need to get, should it ever come up. Now I want a tough jacket. I'm really itching for a Hero (and it's in my budget) as my next purchase, but I'm on the fence as far as goatskin or horsehide. From what I can gather, horse is a bit tougher than goat, primarily because of its thickness. So, goat might "drape" better (which I'm only mildly concerned with). It sounds like the horse's undertones are better, as goat tends to be grayish, rather than red/brownish. But it also sounds like both skins take forever to wear at all, so those undertones might take years to even show up. I live in Michigan, so wearing a jacket of any kind in the summer isn't going to happen. But as hot and humid as they are, our summers are short, so I'm looking at wearing this thing (realistically) from mid-September through mid-May, in just about any kind of weather you can imagine. (Point of reference, I wore my Todd's all last winter, and with a sweater on underneath, it did just fine in a record-breaking Michigan winter.) I'm pretty set on a Hero as my next jacket (but after that, I'm coming for you, Diego!), but could you help me out with deciding what hide to go with? I was thinking I'd go goat for this one, then maybe an LC in horse later, but I've seen some great pictures of Raiders jackets in horse. Thanks for any input.
Indiego Jones
Vendor

Re: Hero in horse or goat?

Post by Indiego Jones »

kozmoedave wrote:I'm pretty set on a Hero as my next jacket (but after that, I'm coming for you, Diego!)
It will be my pleasure!!

On the Wested skins, I have never own horse or goat from them.
I think KT is the man for this job.- ;)
:TOH:
Charybdis
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Charybdis »

With the harsh winters, I'd say go horse...
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

I agree with Charybdis.

Though personally a fan of goatskin for 3 season wear, you living in Michigan, you'll definitely enjoy the horsehide MUCH more in cold weather.

The fact it's at the top of the pile (just under kangaroo hide) in terms of tensile strength is even better.

Keep in mind, some horsehides are physically heavy, so be aware you may have some weight to get used to, but all in all, I think you're going the right direction for a jacket for your 'neck of the woods'. :M: :tup:

Regard! Michaelson
Glenville86
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Glenville86 »

I had a Hero in goat and currently have a Hero in horsehide. I kept the Horsehide even though I am a fan of goat as well. I just liked feel and fit of the horsehide better.

Wested horsehide (I have 4 of them) are nothing like my Aero which is a heavy and stiff leather. The Wested is more of a lighter commercial jacket leather as far as horsehide goes. It is not much more heavy than a stout cowhide.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

I mentioned weight as he's coming from just wearing a Todd's jacket. ;)

Regards! M
kozmoedave
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by kozmoedave »

So far, seems to be a horsehide consensus, which surprises me. That's good to know about Wested's hide.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

If you were a LITTLE further South or West, we'd be pushing goatskin. ;)

Regard! M
Glenville86
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Glenville86 »

Michaelson wrote:I mentioned weight as he's coming from just wearing a Todd's jacket. ;)

Regards! M
Yeah - the Todds is like a leather shirt. ;)
kozmoedave
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by kozmoedave »

Very true about the Todd's. But thin as it is, it did me alright last winter. Which is why I'm not 100% sure about the horse...
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

If that's the case, I'm not sure you're going to be comfortable with goatskin either, as you're going from a REALLY light leather to heavier versions. :-k

As has been said above, Wested horsehide is comparable to a good weight cowhide. You can experience the same with a good goatskin jacket too, depending on maker.

If you're more comfortable with the practice of layering, you may be more comfortable with a goatskin.

I have a USW's horsehide Legend pattern prototype I occasionally wear, and as much as I love the jacket, it's pretty heavy, but perfect for taking on the coldest weather with a light vest or sweater underneath.

If worn in a situation like going into a shopping mall or restaurant, I about DIE wearing that jacket, as the heat builds up quickly and I have to remove it before I'm comfortable.

Not so much with goatskin, as it's physically a bit lighter (once again, depending on maker), and with layering can equal the horse in shielding you from cold air and rain without weighing you down in 'inside' situations.

Just my personal experience, though. Others may vary.

Regards! M
kozmoedave
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by kozmoedave »

Yeah, and therein lies the rub. I don't mind layering and will probably be in long sleeves most of the winter since my workplace stays a little cool. I'd also like to just keep the jacket on if I'm out on the town and pop in somewhere for a drink or two.
kozmoedave
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by kozmoedave »

I don't mind a heavy jacket, per se, but would prefer thinner, I guess. For toughness, goat would probably be adequate and might be more comfortable to leave on as desired. I move equipment made of metal, plastic, and wood around a lot, so I'm concerned that at some point, my current lamb will tear one way or another.
Indiego Jones
Vendor

Post by Indiego Jones »

kozmoedave wrote:I don't mind a heavy jacket, per se, but would prefer thinner, I guess. For toughness, goat would probably be adequate and might be more comfortable to leave on as desired. I move equipment made of metal, plastic, and wood around a lot, so I'm concerned that at some point, my current lamb will tear one way or another.
You can have THIN HORSEHIDE
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Now THAT'S a thought! :-k

Might be the best of both worlds there! Toughness and high tensile strength of horse, but thin and lighter weigh for layering AND just wearing around town. :M: :tup:

Regards! M
kozmoedave
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by kozmoedave »

Yes. The man's got me thinking.
Tibor
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Tibor »

THAT Man can provide you with the jacket of your dreams...
Hammerklavier
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Hammerklavier »

I always comes with a questions for Wested horsehide, how thick is it? How cold can it handles during winter (with only T-Shirt inside), anybody like to share? Much appreciate!!
Tibor
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Tibor »

Damp, snowy Baltimore winters will need another layer or two. Leather jackets that aren't insulated (like Indy Jackets or accurate A2s) will only break the wind but will not keep you warm.

Now Magnoli Clothiers makes an insulated/lined Indy jacket that may be just the thing for you.
http://www.magnoliclothiers.com/shearli ... p-154.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I myself, switch to a floppy sheepskin B3 I got from Wested that makes me feel like Rick O'Connell in the third Mummy movie :D
http://www.wested.com/memphis-belle-b3- ... -883-p.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hammerklavier
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Hammerklavier »

Tibor wrote:Damp, snowy Baltimore winters will need another layer or two. Leather jackets that aren't insulated (like Indy Jackets or accurate A2s) will only break the wind but will not keep you warm.

Now Magnoli Clothiers makes an insulated/lined Indy jacket that may be just the thing for you.
http://www.magnoliclothiers.com/shearli ... p-154.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I myself, switch to a floppy sheepskin B3 I got from Wested that makes me feel like Rick O'Connell in the third Mummy movie :D
http://www.wested.com/memphis-belle-b3- ... -883-p.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thank you, I used to have USW cowhide with one layer underneath, it didn't bother me,I just not sure if wested horsehide is thicker than cowhide from USW
Indiego Jones
Vendor

Post by Indiego Jones »

Thanks for the kind words. :tup:
Cheers.-
Glenville86
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Glenville86 »

The USW Signature cow is not as thick as the Wested horse. I found the leather on the USW Signature to be not as heavy/thick as I expected. I would say it was a mid-weight jacket.
Hammerklavier
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Hammerklavier »

thank you Glen
davyjones007
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by davyjones007 »

kozmoedave wrote:The only Indy jacket I own is a Todd's. It's as SA as I'll ever need to get, should it ever come up. Now I want a tough jacket. I'm really itching for a Hero (and it's in my budget) as my next purchase, but I'm on the fence as far as goatskin or horsehide. From what I can gather, horse is a bit tougher than goat, primarily because of its thickness. So, goat might "drape" better (which I'm only mildly concerned with). It sounds like the horse's undertones are better, as goat tends to be grayish, rather than red/brownish. But it also sounds like both skins take forever to wear at all, so those undertones might take years to even show up. I live in Michigan, so wearing a jacket of any kind in the summer isn't going to happen. But as hot and humid as they are, our summers are short, so I'm looking at wearing this thing (realistically) from mid-September through mid-May, in just about any kind of weather you can imagine. (Point of reference, I wore my Todd's all last winter, and with a sweater on underneath, it did just fine in a record-breaking Michigan winter.) I'm pretty set on a Hero as my next jacket (but after that, I'm coming for you, Diego!), but could you help me out with deciding what hide to go with? I was thinking I'd go goat for this one, then maybe an LC in horse later, but I've seen some great pictures of Raiders jackets in horse. Thanks for any input.
So did you pull the trigger and get your jacket in HH?
kozmoedave
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by kozmoedave »

Sorry! Somehow I missed your question. I ended up going with Steele & Jones' thin horsehide. Mine is the first Raiders they've made of that hide. It's not in my possession yet, but it's on the way, and the pics Diego sent me (which you can see in the thread "Raiders Steele & Jones "Thin Horsehide"") look INCREDIBLE.
davyjones007
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by davyjones007 »

That is awesome I wonder if their HH is the same thickness as John Chapmans on his A-2s.
Han Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Han Jones »

Put the money towards Diego's jacket now. Horse is the best opinion. I have bought a jackets from every vendor over the last 14 years. As of now the Steele and Jones is my favorite. LC in horse. I have a ToD wested I bought over the summer and even with the original pattern in hand they still got it wrong.
kozmoedave
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by kozmoedave »

Waiting patiently for it to come. It's not just that I've never heard a negative thing said about S&J; I've heard nothing but highest praise for them.