"Modern fit" Jacket

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

thefunkybat
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

"Modern fit" Jacket

Post by thefunkybat »

So, I like the look of the jacket. I like the utility of the pockets, and I like the fact that it looks like a flight jacket without that elastic waist (i.e. it hangs down around the waist). What I would like to see different is a version of the jacket without the shoulder droop (i.e. the shoulder seems would line up more with the shoulders, looking more fitted), and the collar to have a Raiders style smaller collar, except the points of the collar to be...pointy-er?

Anyway, sacrilege, right? :roll:

Does anyone have any suggestions for getting a jacket like this?

Some secondary requests would be that it's lightweight, so I could wear it more year-round. I'm willing to layer in the colder months.
thefunkybat
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Re: "Modern fit" Jacket

Post by thefunkybat »

Drat, and I just noticed I got knocked back down to "Dig Worker". It's been a while since I've posted :-P
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Magnoli makes what you're seeking.

Regards!Michaelson
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

The Wested standard jacket is a modern fit, ie the ROLA version.

Hint: The exchange rate is ridiculously low, Brexit has tanked the pound... it's a steal for you over the pond.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Good point KT!

Regards! M
Indy Magnoli
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Indy Magnoli »

A properly fitting Indy Jacket... I'm in full agreement:

Tibor
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Tibor »

Yes!... most of what is seen as shoulder droop on screen is actually the collar flung wide open and the jacket sliding down the shoulders as a result. :TOH:
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

thefunkybat wrote:So, I like the look of the jacket. I like the utility of the pockets, and I like the fact that it looks like a flight jacket without that elastic waist (i.e. it hangs down around the waist). What I would like to see different is a version of the jacket without the shoulder droop (i.e. the shoulder seems would line up more with the shoulders, looking more fitted), and the collar to have a Raiders style smaller collar, except the points of the collar to be...pointy-er?

Anyway, sacrilege, right? :roll:

Does anyone have any suggestions for getting a jacket like this?

Some secondary requests would be that it's lightweight, so I could wear it more year-round. I'm willing to layer in the colder months.

Understand - the loose look was 1980's (when the film was made) not 1930's. A more fitted jacket would be more in keeping with the time frame of the 1930's. Just check out any period movie. ;)

Nice work, Indy.
thefunkybat
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by thefunkybat »

Thanks for all of the great suggestions! I really like Magnoli's work...it's a little out of my price range (for now). Wested is something I might consider for a thicker Last Crusade style jacket. But their ROLA standard is intriguing. (No offense to you, Indy Magnoli...your work is drool-worthy).

Right now I do have a Todd's jacket, bought in a size too small and several years ago. I emailed and asked if I could exchange for a larger size since it's unworn, and they said yes when they get more in stock. But that could be a couple of years away, since (I'm guessing) they probably won't order more until the new movie. My question is this: do anyone here with a Todd's jacket feel the jacket meets the qualifications I listed in the OP?
And side note: I know it pretty much meets the "light weight" requirement. If I ordered something from the other vendors, what leather do I need to order in to meet that same requirement?
Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

thefunkybat wrote:My question is this: do anyone here with a Todd's jacket feel the jacket meets the qualifications I listed in the OP?
And side note: I know it pretty much meets the "light weight" requirement. If I ordered something from the other vendors, what leather do I need to order in to meet that same requirement?
The cut of Todd's jacket mimics the originals, so no. LC and KOTCS-style jackets are closer to the modern fit you're looking for. Some vendors offer "corrected" versions of the Raiders jacket as has been mentioned.

Concerning weight alone, stick to either a lightweight cowhide or the originally specified lambskin.
profmt1
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by profmt1 »

I travelled to Wested's Swanley shop last fall and had Peter measure me for a custom ROLA jacket. He convinced me to make the shoulders trim rather than droopy (by shortening the shoulder length by one inch). The fit and look is so much better than my old OTR Wested! I agree with KT that the USD/GBP exchange rate makes buying a custom Wested incredibly tempting. But Steele & Jones had a special offer a few weeks ago - basically half price for some leather they're looking to remove from inventory. And they still have some left, at least as of a few days ago. Price wise, it probably comes out about even. Reviews here for S&J are fantastic so I ordered one - looking forward to comparing. And Diego's service has been stellar.

I don't think you can go wrong with either, assuming you get the measurements right.
MARQ
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by MARQ »

Profmt1,that shoulder"droop" is one thing I can´t stand. I mean,I have Wested size 46,it´s too loose and current Wested sizing has three sizes that measure 7 to 7,5 inch shoulder on the OTR jacket.They don´t want to chance that,I believe. My only choise would be to get it custom made IF I want that trim shoulder. Older jacketsizing was better,IMO.
And to Funkybat what size Todd Jacket you have?
GoldenHistorian
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by GoldenHistorian »

Agreed! All my time wanting a indy jacket I sold mine off after a week. I really didn't like the sloppy look. I think it's more of a personal taste because I didn't realise it's like it in the films
RayROnline
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by RayROnline »

I would think Steele & Jones could give you anything you ask for.
davidafshar
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by davidafshar »

(Hi, new here!)

I had much the same question. I love the Indy jacket, but am less concerned about it being SA. And while the SA jackets look great on folks, I just worry that it would feel too odd to me to wear on a regular basis. Magnoli's jacket in the above post is the best looking Indy jacket I've ever seen. Sure, it's more fitted than what we see in the films, but...dang. Unfortunately, there's no way I'm going to be able to swing the cost anytime soon. (I'm sure it would be worth every penny, but I don't have that many pennies.)

Anyway, sounds like maybe the Wested ROTLA standard would be the way to go? I'd read that Peter wasn't doing as much customization these days, but sounds like profmt1 had some luck with getting slimmer shoulders. So would a phone call or an email asking about taking in the shoulders be what you folks would recommend?

Thanks for the help. Also, I'm going cross-eyed reading through all the old posts. This really is quite the repository of Indy info, as promised!
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

"Modern fit" Jacket

Post by ChrisMD »

I would say Magnoli and Wested. I have a Wested Novapelle that is "too big" to be SA but GREAT for real life use. In fact I'm gonna wear it today. Thanks for reminding me! They are a great tool in winter if layered over a sweatshirt. It is long and baggy so it helps keep warmth in and wind out.

Edit: ok let me change that. It's -16 this morning. When it's this cold I grab the outback duster.
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

You can wear a Wested in cold weather if you layer up accordingly. I got a Raiders Hero novapelle that's nice and thick, perfect for winter. A good thermal shirt or thin wool sweater fits nicely under the leather shell of an Indy jacket. Pull on a comfy winter hat & gloves and you're all set! :D
Tibor
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Tibor »

Well maybe not today... 0 degrees F this morning with some wind. Break out the shearling and parkas for that. An uninsulated leather jacket is fine if you want to look good when the ambulance picks you up. :D
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Why not? Wind chill of 5 below zero here, and I'm wearing a sweater and scarf under my USW's Indy jacket and completely comfortable. :TOH:

Keep in mind, leather is a wind breaker and was NEVER intended to insulate for warmth, so layering is perfect under an Indy jacket.

Regard! Michaelson
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

Tibor wrote:An uninsulated leather jacket is fine if you want to look good when the ambulance picks you up. :D
:rolling:
whipcracker
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by whipcracker »

For cold weather you need one of these:

http://www.magnoliclothiers.com/images/ ... ge-233.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The collar even does this:

http://www.magnoliclothiers.com/images/ ... ge-236.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It was -20F this morning at my house and -50 in the canyon on the other side of the mountain from me. I wish I had had one those this morning shoveling snow...(where is that freezing Indy smilie)
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

"Modern fit" Jacket

Post by ChrisMD »

Michaelson wrote:Why not? Wind chill of 5 below zero here, and I'm wearing a sweater and scarf under my USW's Indy jacket and completely comfortable. :TOH:

Keep in mind, leather is a wind breaker and was NEVER intended to insulate for warmth, so layering is perfect under an Indy jacket.

Regard! Michaelson

I can get by with mine and a few layers underneath, but for what we had today out near work of -27 I had to go for the leather duster because of the length.

M nailed it, as a windbreaker these leather jackets are great. I'll put mine up against any fancy North Face or other brand. It really does stop the wind dead. Like he said, add a good layer (I use a zip up Carhaart sweatshirt) and I'm good to around 10 degrees, after than I want a thermal or an extra shirt under it. (Again not the leather's fault as it acts as a windbreaker). Another thing I like about leather is I am much slower to overheat than say a traditional windbreaker. All my rambling aside, I am a HUGE fan of "real life" fit Indy jackets.
Glenville86
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Glenville86 »

I always order my Indy Jackets a size up as I like a looser fit and on the heavier ones, you can wear a good fleece under them in cold weather. Wife always says that I am going to freeze in the leather as she just wears an LL Bean parka..... :lol:

Even in really colder temps, I will actually sweat some if I am on the move.
bartes123
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by bartes123 »

Well, i have the very same problem. For winter i have jacket just like wested memphis bell ginger and it work like a charm. Warm and nice. But i need a slim fit jacket just for the late spring, summer and early autumn. Not baggy jacket like that wested LC i have couple of years. I dont need to wear anything but t-shirt. I was thinking maybe ToD jacket or Raiders standard? Those jackets looks pretty slim for me? And what about that gussets? My LC haven't Those and when i put my hands above my head, everybody seen my belly... which *****... really. So if anyone can give some advice i will be greatfull. Plus, what skin? My LC is in authentic lambskin, right nów i was thinking maybe dark brown novapella or heavy duty lamb? Or horsehide? What do you think?

Wysłane z mojego Classic przy użyciu Tapatalka