Ordering a Wested LC / JACKET ARRIVED

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

shaggs007
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Ordering a Wested LC / JACKET ARRIVED

Post by shaggs007 »

I'll soon be order a custom Wested Las Crusade and figured I'd ask the experts for their opinions.

And after looking on these forums the last few weeks in regards to this jacket I figured I gather all the info I could in one place.

I'm thinking of going with the copper novapelle leather they offer (also thinking about the pre-distressed but have never been that big of a fan of most pre-distressed hides)

Just wondering if I have the customizations needed for a close to screen accurate look correct.

D rings

Front and back arm seams have no stitching and I believe are gluedvlike the ToD jacket.

Shoulder to arm seam are single stitched.

No seam at the hem but glued instead like the ToD jacket.

Bright brass zipper.

Black/dark brown cotton body lining.

Instead of squares the side straps are (piped?) stitched on with a small rectangle with a single diagonal stitch inside.

This is where i really need opinions from the blog post on Wested it seams they adjusted the size of the collar, storm flap, and pockets.

Are these more in line with the real jacket or would i be better off going by the measurements for these areas from information posted here?

Any opinions, help, or pointing out detsils i may have missed is greatly appreciated.
Last edited by shaggs007 on Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Obersalzberg
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Re: Ordering a Wested LC soon and need some advice

Post by Obersalzberg »

I ordered the pre-distressed cow awhile ago. It's was nice. In fact it was a little TOO nice, it has a very marbled appearance. The same even distressing all over the jacket. Which made it look really fake imo. I gave it a wash and used some pecards to darken it up.
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

I also think pre-distressed hide looks fake.

The key with an LC for me is the pocket size and it's very large, deep flap. Wested have never made accurate pockets/flaps unless you specify. The LC jacket has squarer pockets.

Plenty of measurements posted here to give you guidance. But if you are a small or a big man, the whole screen accuracy things is probably not achievable since Indy is a size 40-42 and once you go a lot smaller or larger than that, the whole jacket takes on a different look regardless of adjustments made. ;)
indymassilia
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by indymassilia »

No leather facings along the zip.
You should read previous post,there is a lot of precious informations and special requests to have a SA crusade jacket. :TOH:
Tibor
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Tibor »

I think it's REALLY unlikely that the sleeve seams front and back on any Indy jacket are just glued. With flexing of your arms and movement you'd be on your way to having a poncho pretty quickly. :-k
shaggs007
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by shaggs007 »

Actually I lot of what I posted seems to be the consensus from the other threads I've read here.

But I'll go back and read them over to be sure.
Indiego Jones
Vendor

Post by Indiego Jones »

Tibor wrote:I think it's REALLY unlikely that the sleeve seams front and back on any Indy jacket are just glued. With flexing of your arms and movement you'd be on your way to having a poncho pretty quickly. :-k
The poncho line make me laugh. :lol: Brilliant!

Aren't glued
It's called "single stitching" or "open stitching".

:TOH:
Photoss
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Photoss »

Indiego Jones wrote: It's called "single stitching" or "open stitching".
This.

I asked for single-stitched sleeves, and I received them very screen-accurately. You can check out the specs I asked for and thorough review here:
http://indygear.com/cow/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=65044" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
shaggs007
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by shaggs007 »

Thanks for setting me straight on the sleeves.
shaggs007
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Re: Ordering a Wested LC / JACKET ARRIVED

Post by shaggs007 »

I apologize in advance for the selfies that follow in this post.

First off this is my first custom jacket from Wested and I got say I'm pretty happy with the results.

Here are the specs I went with:

Chest Size 42 in
Sleeve length 25 in
Back length 25.5 in
Lining Cotton body Satin Sleeves
Side straps with D rings
No extra pocket
No gussets

Pre-distressed Heavy Duty Lamb Skin

Special request for Custom jacket:
1. Sleeve Seams - SINGLE STITCHED. No over stitch on back of arm, plain butted seam like on the front sleeve seam.
2. Shoulder and arm seam - SINGLE STITCHED.
3. Bright Brass zipper
4. Black cotton lining in body Black Satin sleeves.
5. No Hem Stitch.
6. Dark or antique D-rings.
7. Elastic band in back panel to keep Back panel action pleats in place. **
8. 1.75 inch Storm flap. Top of storm flat should be squared off not tapered*
9. Side Straps - Small rectangular piped strap fixing (see attached pictures)
10. Collar - see attached diagram.*
11. Rounded collar points.
12. Pockets- 6.5 inches wide by 7.25 inches tall.*
13. Pockets raised 2.5 inches from hem with a well defined scalloped pocket flap with rounded center. (see attached diagram)*
14. "Leather Concessionaires" Label.
15. Arm seam should line up with yoke seam on back.

Out of all those details the only this they didn't do was square off the storm flap and gave me the stupid leather facings, they hit every single other detail however so can't be too angry.

However while I got pretty much everything I want and can live with the two details I didn't get the most fustrating this was the leather.

I had said earlier I didn't want pre-distressed but looking only at what Wested's leather selections look like in the wild I fell in love with the heavy duty pre-distressed lamb skin.

I paid the premium price for it sent an email with all the info and was off and then the next day awoke to an email stating they don't have and have never sold a heay duty lamb skin but instead a pre distressed lamb skin that was on par with their authetic lamb.

So living in the U.S. and them being located in England it took a week but finally I settled on the pre-distressed cow hide after seeing a few threads with what some distressing can do to it.

So leather now taken care of I settled in for at leat a month long wait and awoke three days later to a shipping note from DHL.

Three days after choosing my leather my jacket was done and I was in disbelief. After emailing them to see if it was just a pre reg type deal I was told nope my jacket was done one of the premium skins was on back order and I jumped the line.

So needless to say leather facings and not my first choice skin aside I'm pretty happy with what I got and wanna know what you guys think of it.

And now because this thread would be worthless other wise here are some pics

Bradsburns
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Bradsburns »

That is one amazing jacket. Looks superb to me. Nice work. The arms on the one I ordered ended up being too short, but yours looks great.

Wear it well on many adventures.
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

Wear it well. Looks great! Gratz :TOH:
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

shaggs007 wrote:................ and gave me the stupid leather facings...........
Just want to say you won't regret having those, even though they're not screen accurate. They protect the lining from your zipper, and will keep the front of your jacket from either 'gating open' or creating the infamous 'demon roll' where the left side of your jacket curls open all the time.

GREAT looking jacket!!! Now, break that thing in with some actual real world adventures!

Regards! Michaelson
shaggs007
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by shaggs007 »

In the long run I know I won't regret having the facings like I said its a minor annoyance but one I can get use too.

Surprisingly I've been wearing since I got it this is the heavy duty pre-distressed cow hide its soft breaks in nicely and its warm enough for the weather/temperatures we've been having.
Screencapped
Vendor

Post by Screencapped »

Michaelson wrote:
shaggs007 wrote:................ and gave me the stupid leather facings...........
Just want to say you won't regret having those, even though they're not screen accurate. They protect the lining from your zipper, and will keep the front of your jacket from either 'gating open' or creating the infamous 'demon roll' where the left side of your jacket curls open all the time.

GREAT looking jacket!!! Now, break that thing in with some actual real world adventures!

Regards! Michaelson
Agreed on the facings. I found this out the hard way. Also agree that it's a "GREAT looking jacket!!!" :TOH:
chenricy
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by chenricy »

Very nice man, you'll love it when it's broken in!
Synycyl
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Synycyl »

Thanks Shaggs for posting. I just joined this forum as a result of my search for an Indy jacket, and also just ordered a Wested LC in pre-distressed cowhide. I went with the OTR option however. Once it comes in, I plan to do a similar post outlining my experience.

Shaggs, if you don't mind sharing, how tall are you? The only measurement I was on the fence about was the back measurement. Yours looks like you got it correct.

Syn
shaggs007
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by shaggs007 »

Synycyl wrote:Thanks Shaggs for posting. I just joined this forum as a result of my search for an Indy jacket, and also just ordered a Wested LC in pre-distressed cowhide. I went with the OTR option however. Once it comes in, I plan to do a similar post outlining my experience.

Shaggs, if you don't mind sharing, how tall are you? The only measurement I was on the fence about was the back measurement. Yours looks like you got it correct.

Syn
I'm 5' 8" or 5' 9".

As for the back length I measured a friends Todds costume Raiders jacket back length and added an inch or inch and a half to the back panel to get a length I was happy with.
Synycyl
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Synycyl »

Thanks for the reply Shaggs. Unfortunately, it did not fill me with optimism. I believe a 44" OTR LC has a back one inch longer than the one you specified. I am 3-4" taller than you, so I am afraid I may come up short.

Worse case scenario, I will get an OTR that I can base my measurements off of for a larger size or custom made, and return without a huge penalty. And if I get to go custom, that opens up a larger variety of leather options for me to obsess over for days on end.

Still waiting for the shipment notification.

Syn
davyjones007
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by davyjones007 »

Great looking jacket. When the measurements are done right, the jacket looks its best. Well done!
Charybdis
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Charybdis »

I also echo the same sentiments, nice leather...
Kladdagh
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Kladdagh »

That is a nice looking jacket
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

did you say the jacket is made of Pre-distressed Heavy Duty Lamb Skin?
shaggs007
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by shaggs007 »

No. This one is made from Pre distressed cow hide.

Wested had when I ordered the jacket the option for a pre-distressed heavy duty lamb skin had it around the website for various jackets and had it on the blog for the skin comparison.

How ever when I ordered it I was told this was a mistake and they have never had a leather like that.

Was kinda miffed about that but oh well :roll:

So I settled on a back up skin and chose wisely cause the jacket got done quick as a result.
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

their cowhide is quality material. enjoy! :tup: