Why are Optimo hats so overpriced?

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

alex1152
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Why are Optimo hats so overpriced?

Post by alex1152 »

I sent an email to the people at optimo about a Dillinger hat and the cost was $750.00 for a fur felt hat, i didn't even found the courage to ask the cost of the beaver felt.
Jeremiah
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Re: Why are Optimo hats so overpriced?

Post by Jeremiah »

Probably like most things these days. The name.
jlee562
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by jlee562 »

Actually I'm pretty sure Optimo is using all beaver felt now. They hit $750 last year, for a long time they were holding steady at $600.

Yes, you're paying for the name and the reputation that Graham has built over the past decade or so.

All their colors are also exclusive runs for them, done by FEPSA. Winchester's "black cherry" felt is a very close match for Optimo's oxblood, but just a few shades off.

Art Fawcett Playboy in Black Cherry on the left, Optimo Dillinger on the right.

They're also running two brick and mortar stores, so their overhead is a bit higher than most makers.

But I hear ya, $750 is a lot for a hat. Especially with so many smaller, independent makers out there doing fantastic work.
david_h
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by david_h »

Personally my most expensive hat purchase (a Panama hat from Optimo) was the worst deal I ever did.

At the time I think Optimo was going through growing pains and now I think of them as a factory hat rather than a custom hat maker.

There are plenty of other places to get custom hats that are less expensive, high quality and provide better customer service.

I know a lot of people like Optimo, but I'm not going back.
Glenville86
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Glenville86 »

Like most everything, costs will be what the market supports. If folks will pay the price, product prices will be higher.

From my own experience with Indy beaver fedora ones, I have hats purchased from Advintage, Adventurebilt and Northwest. Prices ranged from in US dollars from 650.00 down to 240.00 each. I personally don't find any of the hats to be superior to the others. You end up paying more for the established names.

Same with the beaver/rabbit blend ones like the Henry and Harrison. Both factory made in the same country (maybe the same place) but quality is the same.

The funny thing to see is brand loyalty (fan boys) of particular makers. Sort of like the old Ford -vs- Chevy stuff. Anyway, I like all my beaver Indy hats but realize I paid for the name on one and I am fine with that. To be honest, given the price I paid, it is the least worn one in my collection.
Ridgerunner58
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Between the Edge of Nowhere and the Edge of Somewhere.

Post by Ridgerunner58 »

The same reason all things cost what they cost.

Market price is the intersection of what the seller will accept and the buyer will pay for one more than the total already sold. :TOH:
DiCatania
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by DiCatania »

I live in Chicago and have visited Optimo numerous time. I almost purchased an Optimo 1000 Which means it costs $1000). Then I found Mike at Northwest Hats. My suggestion to you is contact Mike, you will not be disappointed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Arch Stanton
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Arch Stanton »

What's the turnaround time look like at Northwest Hats? Will I be waiting until spring for a hat I want to wear this winter?
Jeremiah
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Jeremiah »

Give Mike a call. He is really easy to talk to on the phone. Only he could say for certain.