I have a friend looking for a whip

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

I have a friend looking for a whip

Post by Michaelson »

Howdy!

I rarely (if ever) wander into this section, but was contacted by a friend today who told me a terrible story of having his stored David Morgan whip made in 2002 essentially destroyed by having his storage unit flooded.

It's currently being stabilized for display in a shadow box, but can never be handled again in the way it was created to be used. :(

He asked me who is the current favored whip maker these days he could contact to create a working replacement.

As I said, I honestly don't look in here, so who is the favored maker these days?

I've seen more disappear from the stage than appear lately, so I'm pretty much out of my swim lane here.

Suggestions?

Thanks for any advice offered! :TOH:

Regards! Michaelson :M:
Cajunkraut

Re: I have a friend looking for a whip

Post by Cajunkraut »

A Strain if you can find one, as Joe has pretty much halted all new business.

http://www.northernwhipco.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Paul Nolan at Midwestwhips is still rockin', and has assumed Joe's replacement as the purveyor of whips to Disney's IJ Stunt Spectacular.

http://www.midwestwhips.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bernardo Del Carpio is still chugging along with his as-close-to-SA-as possible Morgan clones.

http://delcarpiowhips.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:TOH:
Jeremiah
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Jeremiah »

I second what the ragin Cajun has said. :mrgreen:

I have an 8 ft raiders from both Del Carpio and Joe Strain. Both great Indy style whips. The Del Carpio is a bit heavier and thicker which to my eyes mirrors the vintage Morgan's the best.
But both handle beautifully and are meticulously braided. The strain is almost glass like smooth. I also have a nice one made by Casey Tyler.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Thank you! :TOH:

Regards! M
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Can check out Dusty's work at Crease-N-Corral. http://creasencorral.brickmanngroup.com ... gory_ID=39" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; He's a member here as parttime.

I have a 7' and have been very pleased.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
adiemilio
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by adiemilio »

Blake from TWC has a brand new 10ft Nolan ready to go if your friend is interested.
Jeremiah
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Jeremiah »

I forgot about dusty. Yeah he makes a nice SoC whip but does he use roo hide?
adiemilio
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by adiemilio »

Jeremiah wrote:I forgot about dusty. Yeah he makes a nice SoC whip but does he use roo hide?
He should upon request, he made a special 7 footer in Roo for Anthony De Longis if I'm not mistaken. :whip:
Tyrloch
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Tyrloch »

Blake himself makes a darn fine bullwhip, as does Steve Townsend as well. I would post pics if I could. If someone volunteers to post for me, then I could email them a few pics...
Jeremiah
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Jeremiah »

Lots of good choices out there. Man I love when the bullwhip section gets cracking. Too far and between though.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

:lol: You're welcome! :TOH:

Regards! M
Tinplatejeff
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Tinplatejeff »

Indiana Jeff wrote:Can check out Dusty's work at Crease-N-Corral. http://creasencorral.brickmanngroup.com ... gory_ID=39" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; He's a member here as parttime.

I have a 7' and have been very pleased.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
I'm in the market for a bullwhip myself, but don't want to break the bank.

I'm intrigued by Dusty's Streets of Cairo model:

http://creasencorral.brickmanngroup.com ... ord_ID=108

Anybody own that one?

And how about his cowhide? Looks really nice for the price? Is cowhide an OK choice?

:-k
Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

Dusty's SOC is a really nice whip for the price. Owned one and have since sold it.
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

For 99% of your whipping needs cowhide will be fine.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Jeremiah
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Jeremiah »

Indiana Jeff wrote:For 99% of your whipping needs cowhide will be fine.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
That is true. But some may want the traditional way that the ones in the movie were constructed. Roo hide is the way to go for that.
Cowhide certainly is more practical for using a whip the way Indy used it though as cowhide is much more durable when put up against surfaces that may cause slight abrasions. Cowhide whips will also be a slightly heavier.
Tinplatejeff
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Tinplatejeff »

Jeremiah wrote:
Indiana Jeff wrote:For 99% of your whipping needs cowhide will be fine.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
That is true. But some may want the traditional way that the ones in the movie were constructed. Roo hide is the way to go for that.
Cowhide certainly is more practical for using a whip the way Indy used it though as cowhide is much more durable when put up against surfaces that may cause slight abrasions. Cowhide whips will also be a slightly heavier.
After weighing my options and trying to stay true to screen accurate, I'm now leaning towards Paul Nolan's MidWestWhips Indy 8-foot model:

http://www.midwestwhips.com/indywhips.html

Seems like a good choice for the money, thoughts?

Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Paul makes quality whips for sure.

I'd say you have chosen wisely.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

:) :tup:
Tinplatejeff
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Tinplatejeff »

Wait ... Did some more researching and came across Blake Bruning the proprietor of Trinity Whip Company.

Wow do his look nice too!

http://www.trinitywhipco.com/the-raider

:o
Tyrloch
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Tyrloch »

Lol, I mentioned Blake as well as Steve Townsend in this thread back on 8/22! I have multiple whips from both of these great guys: Indy whips in different lengths, and Aussie style whips in different lengths, matched pairs, different thicknesses, etc. Both of them make a great whip, and they're both easy to deal with and pay attention to specs. And most importantly, their whips roll out and crack great! I wouldn't hesitate ordering from either one of them again, or recommending to anyone looking for a great whip. And not only to someone looking for a lower cost option: I put their work right up there with some of the professionals...
Last edited by Tyrloch on Sun Sep 04, 2016 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tinplatejeff
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Tinplatejeff »

Tyrloch wrote:Lol, I mentioned Blake as well as Steve Townsend in this thread back on 8/22! I have multiple whips from both of these great guys: Indy whips in different lengths, and Aussie style whips in different lengths, matched pairs, different thicknesses, etc. Both of them make a great whip, and they're both easy to deal with and pay attention to specs. And most importantly, their whips roll out and crack great! I would hesitate ordering from either one of them again, or recommending to anyone looking for a great whip. And not only to someone looking for a lower cost option: I put their work right up there with some of the professionals...
To be fair "Blake with TWC" was mentioned.

To a newbie like me that's rather cryptic.

And thanks for all the feedback, much appreciated.

Sounds like a lot of good choices. I'm going to send some emails to the whip makers mentioned and make a decision.

:D
Tyrloch
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Tyrloch »

Point taken. Look both Blake Bruning and Steve Townsend up: they both have web and FB pages...
Tinplatejeff
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Tinplatejeff »

I did indeed contact Blake Bruning at Trinity Whip Co. He's a great guy and we spoke on the phone yesterday. So I'm torn between his new Trinity 8' Raiders or he has a used Joseph Strain 9' 12-Plait KOTCS whip! The Strain is like new, he got it from the original owner and it is about 5-years old. I'm leaning heavily toward getting the Strain and Blake is holding it for me until I decide. What do others think? Here are some pics of the Strain:

Tyrloch
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Tyrloch »

Well, you can never go wrong with a Strain, but Blake makes a mighty fine whip himself! I suppose it boils down to which movie whip you like more, and are you only planning on owning one whip?
Tinplatejeff
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Tinplatejeff »

Tyrloch wrote:Well, you can never go wrong with a Strain, but Blake makes a mighty fine whip himself! I suppose it boils down to which movie whip you like more, and are you only planning on owning one whip?
Well, I'm one of those people that tends to collect things and never can own just one of anything. That being said, it'll be sometime before I can justify the expense of another one. As far as my favorite movie whip, I can't say I have one, I like them all. But the Strain KOTCS just looks stunning to my eye.
Tyrloch
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Tyrloch »

Personally, I'm a Raiders and ToD type of guy. That being said, if you like the Strain then grab it. His work is hard to come by, and you can always order one from Blake later on - he enjoys making whips so much I don't see him packing it in anytime soon. But his and Townsend's stuff is definitely worth a second look. I can't recommend these two enough..