Alden Indy Boots Impressions From Owners

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

Glenville86
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Glenville86 »

Within the last 6-months I have purchased the Alden J Crew 405 which is really a 403, Alden J Crew Burnished Tan Indy Boots and Alden Indy Boot High Top Blucher Work boot 405. I normally wear 12M but purchased 11.5M in these boots as recommended.

I like them all but a few things stick out on the 403 and 405 which is the boot strings seem pretty cheap for the cost of the boots and are too long if using the hooks to tie the boots. If you just wrapped them around without using the hooks, the length is fine. The other thing is even though I bought the correct size, when wearing with normal work boot socks, when laced, the eyelets are closer together than I like. Also, there are gaps where the boot heels are connected on both pairs - not sure if this is normal. Both boots are comfortable.

The J Crew Burnished Tan Indy boots do not have the close eyelet thing and are fine but on one foot there is one place that is ouchy after wearing all day. I just chalk that up to having gnarly feet...........Boot strings on these are much higher quality.

I have worn boots for over 40-something years at work and off work. For those who have these boots, I am just asking if you think the quality of the boots are on track with the price (new) or are you just paying for the brand name and the connection to the Indy movies? I know the people who want to impersonate the character want the official boot but I am just looking at them as a normal wear item.

I am one of those people who have several of everything in clothing including ankle boots and rotate them which will keep most boots lasting a long time. For those with long-term wearing of the Alden boots, how do they hold up?
McQ7
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Re: Alden Indy Boots Impressions From Owners

Post by McQ7 »

I don't own any Indy boots yet, but I have also found that with my Alden JCrew cordovan boots that there's not much space between the laces. My foot isn't what most would consider high volume--size 8.5 D on a Brannock device, and not very thick if we're talking sole to top of my foot thickness.

What I have seen in many pics of owners of the Indy boots in Chromexcel (like the Alden 403 or JCrew 405) is that the stretchy nature of that particular leather makes it easier for people to end up with eyelets even closer together than a person would find with a standard waxed leather or non-CXL leather, like the Alden 405. A great example of this can be seen in this Youtube comparison between the Alden 405 and 403 after one year of wear: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOPeU3KRxps.
(note that the stretchy nature of Chromexcel is also what many consider makes it extremely comfortable--over time it's kind of a custom form to the foot.)

As far as how each looks over time, it seems like there divided opinion. Some folks can't stand the broken-in, form fitted, "wrinkled" look of the 403 Chromexcel leather, while others are repulsed by how badly the color wears on the waxed 405 leather. General consensus seems to be that the Chromexcel is a lower maintenance leather for color and scuffs: condition maybe twice a year, rub scuffs out, and brush. Good to go. The waxed leather might need some Meltonian cream or similar to retain color that's lost with wear and scuffs, and might need some wax to fill in some scratches.

Here's a video of a person using Venetian Shoe Cream on Chromexcel Indy boots. He uses too much, but it's a pretty good example of how conditioning and brushing Chromexcel can even-out the color. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ygkAjasEOc

I'm sure owners will chime in who have owned each of these pairs for a long time, but here are some pics I've found. Reddit.com/r/goodyearwelt can be a great source for pics. Many members there and on the StyleForum use Lexol as a standard go-to conditioner for all types of leather that won't significantly change the color. Others swear by Venetian Shoe Cream and/or Saphir Renovatuer. There's some debate about how well these last two actually condition vs. whether they're more of a polish/shine product. From what I've read Lexol seems to be the safest conditioning choice, and some of the best pics I've seen are by people who use Lexol as their conditioner.

Here's a pair of 403 Chromexcel leather that's three years old after twice a week average wear, with Venetian Shoe Cream as conditioner about every six months (pics are pre-conditioning--when conditioned the color would be more even):
https://www.reddit.com/r/malefashionadv ... s_of_wear/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
[MOD EDIT *We love your photos! Please re-post them in a size not to exceed 640x480. Thanks*]

Here's a pair of 405 waxed leather that's two years old after one year of heavy wear and once a week for the second year, conditioned occasionally but no polish/cream (conditioning will probably not even-out the color):
https://www.reddit.com/r/goodyearwelt/c ... ar_review/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
[MOD EDIT *We love your photos! Please re-post them in a size not to exceed 640x480. Thanks*]

Here's a pair of Natural Chromexcel leather that was put through the ringer for 6 months, had been given Obenauf's LP treatment for waterproofing which darkened them, and them Lexol to condition about every 15-20 wears (once a month according to the user):
https://www.reddit.com/r/goodyearwelt/c ... fied_last/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

I'd love to post a photo of my Alden heel imprint in the dirt, but that's going a bit far for a joke. :lol:
RedburnIV
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by RedburnIV »

I have a 12 year old pair and a year old pair of 405's. I've said it before in other posts, I really wish I would have bought two pairs 12 years ago. The quality is outstanding and the are by far the best pair of boots I've ever owned. I was disappointed with the new pair. The heel construction is sloppy and I'll see if I can get a pic to show this but overall not impressed with the quality given the ridiculous price tag. I bought the first pair in high school. Took my all summer to save for them and I was blown away to finally own a pair. I immediately had them dyed which was worrisome at first but they really aged quite nicely over the years. They went 11 years before I had to have them resoled, and I wanted to do something different so I chose the vibram lug soles. I was really excited for those soles because I've slipped plenty of times on the true balance, but when I finally went on a lengthy hike with the new lug soles, they tore my heel up bad. It was surprisingly painful for an 11 year old pair of boots. I may have the true balance put on them again because I've never had that sort of discomfort with these boots. Also, when I wear them I lace them up and wear them snug so the hooks are usually close together for me. Here's a pic, new on the left, old on the right. Overall I'm very pleased with them, but it sounds like the quality is hit or miss now a days. Some get a great pair of boots, others get a pair that should have never left the shop. Not ideal for what they're asking for a pair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Illinois James
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois James »

I haven't purchased any Aldens from the standard offerings for a few years now, but the special run boots I've received have all been top-notch. Which might be part of the problem.

It's possible there are so many dealer exclusive special runs that may be backing up standard production shoes, it may be impacting quality, to a degree. The prices keep going up, and the demand still seems to be there. I don't know, of course, but it's a very common problem in manufacturing when you're behind on your 'numbers'.

But the 401's, 403's and 405's I acquired over the last 7 years are all great. I have a pair of 404's that I suspect may have been seconds, which Alden offers for sale by email, but I got those second-hand.

These things are a lot of money for most people. But they're not custom shoes, they're premium production. And they're an old design and made in an old (well proven) manner. They're great shoes. But when you pay the money, and you're not satisfied, you gotta let them know about it.

The 404's are made on the Trubalance last, and have the Vibram lug sole, but, IMO don't make a good dedicated hiking boot.

For construction flatwork, or on hard concrete, I think there's nothing better than the 405. On wet ground, forget it.

For me, the cotton laces don't last very well. The hooks destroy them over a short period because of flexing my ankles working, climbing, and having to squeeze into tight spaces.

You can call Alden for more. Sometimes they charge me and sometimes I mention how many pairs of boots I have purchased from them and they give me a break. I think there used to be 2 lengths you could request for boots. The higher quality laces on the special run boots are waxed cotton. That's all I use now except for round brown Kiwi's, which are very tough. Redwing has some great round laces, too. Not those 'spongy' cord type ones, though, like on many hikers.

Jmo, ymmv.
Illinois James
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois James »

Also, as far as treating, I use a silicone based paste on the welts and exposed parts of the leather soles. I use Redwing boot oil on the 405's when they get dry or after mild cleaning. I rarely put anything on the chromexels at all. They always seem to clean up so well with water and a brush. But lexol soap followed by the conditioner is what I have used.

I haven't put anything on any of my shell boots. Just a horsehair brush or a cloth. Maybe I'll have to put something on them when they start to get dry in ten years or so!! Lol! The Horween leather is so nice.
Castor Dioscuri
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Castor Dioscuri »

RedburnIV wrote:I have a 12 year old pair and a year old pair of 405's. I've said it before in other posts, I really wish I would have bought two pairs 12 years ago. The quality is outstanding and the are by far the best pair of boots I've ever owned. I was disappointed with the new pair. The heel construction is sloppy and I'll see if I can get a pic to show this but overall not impressed with the quality given the ridiculous price tag. I bought the first pair in high school. Took my all summer to save for them and I was blown away to finally own a pair. I immediately had them dyed which was worrisome at first but they really aged quite nicely over the years. They went 11 years before I had to have them resoled, and I wanted to do something different so I chose the vibram lug soles. I was really excited for those soles because I've slipped plenty of times on the true balance, but when I finally went on a lengthy hike with the new lug soles, they tore my heel up bad. It was surprisingly painful for an 11 year old pair of boots. I may have the true balance put on them again because I've never had that sort of discomfort with these boots. Also, when I wear them I lace them up and wear them snug so the hooks are usually close together for me. Here's a pic, new on the left, old on the right. Overall I'm very pleased with them, but it sounds like the quality is hit or miss now a days. Some get a great pair of boots, others get a pair that should have never left the shop. Not ideal for what they're asking for a pair.

Shoe trees are your friend! :TOH:

As for myself, I have an 8 year old pair (how time flies!) that is breaking in absolutely beautifully. After buying them, I must have worn them almost daily for 3-4 years, wearing the heels down pretty hard. I had them resoled about two years ago, and they've been in semi-retirement since. These are my favorite boots, and there's only so many resoles a pair of boots can take. That, and after hearing all the horror stories coming from Alden lately, I'm VERY leery of needing to go through them again.

With that said, I do have a spare pair of 7 year old Alden's that I bought as a backup. I've never used them, but if my shoes should ever be irreparably destroyed, I'll always have a mirror image. It's amazing just to compare them side by side, to see how much character my beater pair has developed through the years!
Glenville86
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Glenville86 »

My regular 405 Indy boots were sort of hurting my feet after I started wearing them more but a 1/2 insert added has made them comfortable. Strange as I have 2-pairs in the same size and only one needed the inserts......
Jeremiah
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Jeremiah »

Guess this is a better place to share this. I had a pic in the squeak thread but it was probably off topic and so I will remove it from there.
Here is what I found on my 403 the other day. I sent them back as this I found unacceptable in a shoe I paid half a grand for and wore not even a full month. I got this pair the end of September and change them out with my pair of natural CXR which are holding up much better.
Notice the gaps and splitting on the heel stack too.

Alden shop was quick to address the issue. There were some other issues like the ends of the Goodyear welt looking like a rat had chewed on the leather before it was shipped. Not a clean angled end like on my pair of natural chromes.
First pic here is natural chrome boots with well made welt end. Second two of you scroll through are the way the end welts all look on the 403
http://i1323.photobucket.com/albums/u58 ... 76oih.jpeg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I was willing to live with that but did make mention of it since they were going back for the bigger problem.

On the comparison aide, I have a pair of $15 wells Lamont work gloves that I beat up almost daily for half a year now and they are going strong. I still love the Aldens though and can't wait to get this pair I sent in or the replacement back soon.

So my impressions are a mixed bag. I had heard so much about these boots and the quality. When I got them I was honestly surprised that out the gate there were so many small issues with a pair of boots that cost this much. Now I understand I can be a bit not picky but in this case I don't feel I am being overly nit picky.
Like I said I was going to let it go and did not think much of it till I found the leather literally unraveling on the inside heel cuff of the 403s the other day.
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

whipwarrior wrote:I'd love to post a photo of my Alden heel imprint in the dirt, but that's going a bit far for a joke. :lol:

Almost lost my coffee reading that! :lol: =P~ :tup:

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Jeremiah
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Jeremiah »

I would be interested to hear from you Alden junkies about your thoughts of my boot and the premature wear and tear. Again. I read here of people boots going 3 yrs strong with only the need for the obvious maintenance. Here we have a pair worn literally less than 15 days.

I am guessing the pulled leather around heel cuff was there to begin with as a result from improperly being stitched in. I would literally have to rip the leather out of my natural chrome pair in that area with pliers. So I know that's not normal.

Well, I trust Alden will make all things right. :)
Last edited by Jeremiah on Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

With the boot prices today, that Alden imprint is on the forehead! #-o
Jeremiah
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Jeremiah »

Any experiences, thoughts or re assurances in dealing with Alden over a similar issue? Am I being too nit picky? I mean after all I do want these boots to look like they have had an adventure. Just not so soon in some areas, especially some that should never look that way. :-k

Well as an update, huge kudos to Aldenshop in SF. All is set right.
Still scratching my head over no feedback on this from you all, but all is taken care of. :clap:
Paladin3
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Paladin3 »

I wish I could post pictures of mine, but I wear them nearly every day to teach in as a college professor and they are amazingly comfortable and are of a perfect weight temperature wise. They look great and are never to warm or cold. The laces didn't last more than a year, and the sole is wearing really fast I think, but I am still happy with them for the most part. I wish I could fix the scuffs that I have accidentally put into them along the way.

It is not very often that I find a good pair of shoes that I really wear constantly - especially when they are anything other than a combat boot or a hiking boot, but these fit the bill!
Jeremiah
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Jeremiah »

That's pretty sweet. Love to hear people using the boots on a daily basis. It's what they were made for.
Tennessee Smith
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tennessee Smith »

I'm on my second pair and I have no complaints other than the balls of my feet ache after walking on concrete all day but I'm sure any shoe other than sneakers would do that too. :lol:

As far as the rest of the boot is concerned I'm a fan. For one reason they keep my plantar fasciitis from acting up and if I wear them after a day of them doing so they ease that pain. I read the complaint about the laces and while they seem fragile, I've never had an issue with them breaking and honestly I think they're the strongest I've used for their gauge.
:TOH:
Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Forrest For the Trees »

I have owned a pair of 403s for over a year now. Best shoes I've ever had. I'm a teacher, on my feet constantly, and these keep me standing and moving comfortably every day. I'd say I wear them about 3 to 4 days each week until the weather here gets quite hot in May, and then don't put them on again until late September. Plenty of scuffs that I fix with a light application of boot oil. The rubber heel is wearing down quickly, as expected, but it shouldn't be too hard to have replaced. My students think they are ugly, but then they have no taste. :lol:
car96
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by car96 »

I am a teacher too & own a pair of 403's & a pair of 405's and although comfortable my feet do feel a bit tired at the end of the day.
Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Forrest For the Trees »

car96 wrote:I am a teacher too & own a pair of 403's & a pair of 405's and although comfortable my feet do feel a bit tired at the end of the day.
After a day of teaching, my entire being is tired, not just my feet!
Paladin3
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Paladin3 »

Forrest For the Trees wrote:
car96 wrote:I am a teacher too & own a pair of 403's & a pair of 405's and although comfortable my feet do feel a bit tired at the end of the day.
After a day of teaching, my entire being is tired, not just my feet!
My feet are great at the end of the day... But my brain feels like it was stunk out through my nose.
Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

Owned a pair of 405s and 403s since being in the hobby.

Really liked the durability of the 405's waxhide leather, but couldn't get over the color. Switched to the 403s, and while the character of the Chromexcel had to grow on me, I'm much happier with 'em overall as a Raiders-style boot.

It seems that the workmanship of either model can be inconsistent at times. Definitely wouldn't have considered paying the hefty price tag had it not been for the Indy factor.

I don't consider the Aldens to be the most comfortable shoes I own, but probably don't wear 'em enough to give 'em a chance.

I do feel like ordering your actual size (versus half-size down) gives you extra toe room to make 'em comfortable enough for extended wear. It also helps bring those laces together Indy tight! 8)
Glenville86
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Glenville86 »

My 403 boots are comfortable but the 405 boots I have worn a over a dozen times still are not feeling broken in yet.
Jeremiah
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Jeremiah »

I must be the rare owner to wear my boots a ton. I am currently wearing my 405s. Despite the color, I actually prefer them over my natural chrome tanned 405-57s.

I feel the 405s are broken in well now.
They are comfortable for a boot and seem to offer me more support in the ankle area than my CXL ones.
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

I have a pair of 405s - I got them in 2007 and they're still some of the best shoes I own! I've had to get the heels replaced once (sent them back to the Alden shop in San Francisco) but they're still just as comfortable as the day I got em!

Shane
Glenville86
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Glenville86 »

Glenville86 wrote:My 403 boots are comfortable but the 405 boots I have worn a over a dozen times still are not feeling broken in yet.
What I have discovered for my Alden boots on the Trubalance Last is I need to put those 1/2 foot orthopedic inserts in them. Now they are extremely comfortable. I just ordered my first pair of Dark Burgundy Shell Cordovan Indy boots with the Double Waterlock Leather Sole.
cm289
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by cm289 »

Here are my 2+ yr old 404s. They've held up great thru one deer hunt in the Apache National Forest in NM and weekly, if not daily, use. Since that one hunt, I don't use them too much for hiking/hunting simply because I have lighter, waterproof, and much cheaper German boots from Haix that I don't mind tearing up.

The leather on the 404s is oiled, which means light scratches and scrapes can be brushed out easily. These are comfortable enough to walk around in all day, with the boot tread giving better traction than a flat sole. I love 'em, in other words. I think Indy would approve had they been available in his day.

Indiana Greg
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Indiana Greg »

I am finding that the speed hooks are going to tear through the leather on my new-ish 405s. Very disappointing.
Yes, I DO lace them super tight because of an old horseback falling-off incident.
From now on I'll stick with Frye, Redwing and Chippewa. They have speed hooks too, and they have never tried that trick.

405s- thanks but no thanks. =;
Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

Indiana Greg wrote:I am finding that the speed hooks are going to tear through the leather on my new-ish 405s. Very disappointing.
Yes, I DO lace them super tight because of an old horseback falling-off incident.
From now on I'll stick with Frye, Redwing and Chippewa. They have speed hooks too, and they have never tried that trick.

Greg, have you considered sending them back to Alden? Betcha they'll make it right.
Illinois James
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois James »

I've seen evidence of too much pressure being applied to the eyelets and hooks during the crimping process on these boots with the result being either the eyelet or the crimping tools cutting the leather, as well as the leather lining. But I've only seen this on the factory seconds.

Personally, I can really never complain openly about a product until I give a vendor a chance to correct the problem. And drawing their attention to production quality issues does help them with quality, IF they're smart.
Indiana Greg
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Indiana Greg »

Cajunkraut wrote:
Indiana Greg wrote:I am finding that the speed hooks are going to tear through the leather on my new-ish 405s. Very disappointing.

Greg, have you considered sending them back to Alden? Betcha they'll make it right.

Sorry f/ the poor focus, but I think you can see the damage I mean. I don't think it's Aldens fault. This stuff is almost a kid leather hide on the outside and I shouldn't have attempted to treat them like work boots. [-X
I should choose another type of leather, but five bills is hard to put down with phenomena like this. It's a first for me and I have had some cheap-arsed boots, mind you. :oops:
Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

Contact Alden. The worst they can say is "can't help ya."
MikenAZ
Grail Recovery Volunteer
Grail Recovery Volunteer

Post by MikenAZ »

I purchased my first pair in 2000 and another pair in 2010 , absolutely love them. They are the most comfortable boots I own.
Glenville86
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Glenville86 »

Another thing I have noticed is you can buy 2 of the same model and they feel different on your feet. I have 2-pair of the J Crew version and one fits great but the other is proving harder to break in. Guess it is because of the way they are put together.
Courier Six
Grail Recovery Volunteer
Grail Recovery Volunteer

Post by Courier Six »

First post and my first piece of gear.
I have had a pair of Alden Indy 403's for almost two years and wear them nearly everyday if not I pull on a vintage pair of Frye's harness boots. I bought them from Need Supply out of Richmond, VA where I'm from and went to college at. Getting the right size was a lot easier walking in instead of ordering online and hoping for the best. Kept debating and finally pulled the trigger and bought them.

The Alden's are incredibly comfortable. I hate wearing tennis shoes. I wear these all the time with extra cushion wools socks and I'm fine all day on my feet. I travel often and my stuff doesn't get special treatment. They have been in the mud, sand, and snow. However, I wouldn't suggest going out there in snow or ice. I know Indy had the 405 style boot but I chose the 403 since these are more versatile for me.

Last edited by Courier Six on Fri May 13, 2016 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

All,

We've gotten lax with the huge-sized photo posting. Please review the COW photo posting policy with regard to the size not to exceed 640x480:

http://indygear.com/cow/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=41780" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Photobucket is a free photo hosting site that lets you resize through uploading and editing. Then copy and paste the photo's Photobucket address between the "Img" brackets when composing your thread post.

Oversize photos will be removed if not resized in the next 24 hours.

Thanks!
lorne73
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by lorne73 »

Alden 404 seems "unbreakable" with vibram soles... What does it means exactly, "Kudu leather"?
Glenville86
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Glenville86 »

I have many Alden ankle boots and a fair share of the Indy ones. Sort of a little agitated as a new pair in shell cordovan #8 cap-toe and a newer pair of the J. Crew Indy boots both had the stitching come undone in the front corner on the part the laces are. It is where they sit on top of the foot.

I sent the cordovan back to Unionmade and they sent back to Alden. Unfortunately, the J. Crew ones were an EBay buy. I contacted bnelson and provided a picture and was told to just take them to a cobbler as that was a common issue on Alden boots and can be re-stitched as the leather was not torn.

Now to find a cobbler on the economy here in Germany. I have never see a cobbler shop all my years here but they should have them locally. I thought about tossing them as I have another J. Crew pair that has seen some miles with no issues.

Not happy that not one but two pair had the same issue.
lorne73
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by lorne73 »

My Indy's Alden (404 Kudu on the left, 405 on right)

Screencapped
Vendor

Post by Screencapped »

I'm sure it's been mentioned before here but imo the heels wear down very quickly with everyday use and the strings are pretty flimsy. That's said, the 405s are the best shoes I've ever owned in my 42 years. They look better with wear and they're comfy as heck! :TOH:
tym
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by tym »

anindyjones wrote:I'm sure it's been mentioned before here but imo the heels wear down very quickly with everyday use and the strings are pretty flimsy. That's said, the 405s are the best shoes I've ever owned in my 42 years. They look better with wear and they're comfy as heck! :TOH:
Has anyone tried using heel taps? I've used those on other pairs of boots and has helped mitigate the wear on the outer edges of the heel from walking.

Just got my new Alden 405s in the mail today and am wearing them around the house. Planning to add heel taps before wearing them outside.
car96
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by car96 »

Anyone else have trouble with the tongues on the 405's not staying centered? Always sliding towards the outer side of the foot.
Glenville86
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Glenville86 »

Glenville86 wrote:I have many Alden ankle boots and a fair share of the Indy ones. Sort of a little agitated as a new pair in shell cordovan #8 cap-toe and a newer pair of the J. Crew Indy boots both had the stitching come undone in the front corner on the part the laces are. It is where they sit on top of the foot.

I sent the cordovan back to Unionmade and they sent back to Alden. Unfortunately, the J. Crew ones were an EBay buy. I contacted bnelson and provided a picture and was told to just take them to a cobbler as that was a common issue on Alden boots and can be re-stitched as the leather was not torn.

Now to find a cobbler on the economy here in Germany. I have never see a cobbler shop all my years here but they should have them locally. I thought about tossing them as I have another J. Crew pair that has seen some miles with no issues.

Not happy that not one but two pair had the same issue.
Update - The Unionmade have been repaired and are being shipped back to me. Found a cobbler here in Germany that fixed the other pair for around 7 dollars. Have noticed a couple other pair starting to have the same issue but not enough for repair yet. I have been wearing my Red Wings more now.....
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

car96 wrote:Anyone else have trouble with the tongues on the 405's not staying centered? Always sliding towards the outer side of the foot.

This has been a problem mentioned before.

tym wrote: Has anyone tried using heel taps? I've used those on other pairs of boots and has helped mitigate the wear on the outer edges of the heel from walking.
Not on Aldens, but have on other shoes/boots. No change in comfort to wear and the taps do help protect from heel wear.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
j_m_t
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by j_m_t »

car96 wrote:Anyone else have trouble with the tongues on the 405's not staying centered? Always sliding towards the outer side of the foot.
I did for a while but I googled different ways of lacing boots and that helped a LOT.

Just find the one that works for you, it apparently is a common issue with easy fixes
davyjones007
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by davyjones007 »

j_m_t wrote:
I did for a while but I googled different ways of lacing boots and that helped a LOT.

Just find the one that works for you, it apparently is a common issue with easy fixes

My local Alden store here in DC offered to tack the tongue to the boot to keep it in place. Different lacing styles can help as well. :TOH:
profmt1
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by profmt1 »

Lots of people have mentioned the heels wearing down. How about the leather soles - do they seem to last a long time? Replacing a heel is fairly inexpensive. Redrafting isn't, though relative to the price of the boots I guess it's a better option than replacing.

Also - does anyone know if Alden has a main store, or even an outlet, in Massachusetts where their factory is? I go to the Boston area to visit family a good amount, and that could be a fun (but potentially expensive) outing. Thanks.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

The soles aren't leather, and they don't wear nearly as fast as the heels can, depending on where you walk, and HOW you walk.

Here's a list of their factory stores in that area.

http://www.aldenshoe.com/DrawStoreSearch.aspx?PageID=3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Click on 'North America', then the state you're going to visit for the complete list.

Regard! Michaelson
Tinplatejeff
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Tinplatejeff »

I just ordered my first ever pair of Alden's. Getting the 405s from a dealer in Indianapolis I visited today. He measured my feet and is ordering a couple of size options for me to try and will send to my house for me to try on. I'm super excited and also feeling completely nuts for spending that much on boots.

:shock:
Glenville86
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Glenville86 »

I like the Indy Alden 405 boots the best. I have all the others as well in different leathers. The ones I like the least are the 403 Brown Chromexcel. I have a couple pairs (one preowned and one new) and while they look great, they are not that comfortable compared to my other ones. Sort of like wearing dress shoes that look like boots.

Everyone has different experiences with the same boots. I was only buying Alden boots and shoes for awhile. Had some stitching coming undone on about 3-pairs so far and I only wear each pair about once every 2-weeks as I rotate and have been hoarding. :oops: The stitching coming undone in the same place is common from what I have learned from a couple places. It happening on a pair of 700 plus and over 500 plus boots from minimal wear bothers me.

I honestly like my Redwings (Iron Rangers, Blacksmith and their Indy) as much as the Alden boots. The regular 405 Indy boots are excellent as well. The Alden boots are good but after buying multiple pairs and comparing them to Redwings, not sure if the boots are worth double or sometimes triple the price. The Shoe Mart does offer some really good deals on 2nds that put some Alden boots closer to full price Redwings. I doubt many people pay full price on Redwings and they go on sale from various stores on a regular basis.
Tinplatejeff
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Tinplatejeff »

My new 405s arrived in the mail today.

I'm speechless ...

:o