Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

LuckyLighter
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Finally Ordering a Wested

Post by LuckyLighter »

Hi everyone!

Some of you may remember me -- I was an active poster here about a dozen years ago.

I've stayed fairly active as a Gearhead since then, cosplaying as Indy at conventions and such. I currently own a Bantu Wind jacket from Todd's, which is great and I love it. But, I'm turning 40 this week, and I want to commemorate it with a Wested -- specifically a Temple of Doom from Wested.

I've gone through a lot of threads here, but I haven't seen any consolidated opinions on leather type. My first choice had been to go with Goat, but I've read that it doesn't distress very well, it's too stiff and thick, and it doesn't drape well. But, I like that it's durable and seems to be most people's favorite leather for Indy jackets.

I've been seeing some good things regarding the Shrunken Lamb, but it seems like the color can be hit or miss. And I've heard conflicting opinions on its durability.

So, now I'm torn between Goat and Shrunken Lamb. The impression I have is that Shrunken Lamb is the way to go for the ToD jacket because of the way it distresses and how it drapes.

Any thoughts?

My other question is about the jacket length. The ToD jacket is supposed to be an inch longer than the Raiders jacket. I'm 6'1" with a 42" chest, and my current Raiders jacket from Todd's fits great on my, and the length is perfect for the Raiders cut. That jacket has a 26" back. Should I order a 27" to get the ToD length?

Any suggestions or thoughts would be much appreciated. Just, please, don't say. FYI, I'm committed to getting a Wested, so suggestions about ordering from a different company would be counter-productive. Thanks!
giantthugee86
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Re: Finally Ordering a Wested

Post by giantthugee86 »

LuckyLighter wrote:Hi everyone!

Some of you may remember me -- I was an active poster here about a dozen years ago.

I've stayed fairly active as a Gearhead since then, cosplaying as Indy at conventions and such. I currently own a Bantu Wind jacket from Todd's, which is great and I love it. But, I'm turning 40 this week, and I want to commemorate it with a Wested -- specifically a Temple of Doom from Wested.

I've gone through a lot of threads here, but I haven't seen any consolidated opinions on leather type. My first choice had been to go with Goat, but I've read that it doesn't distress very well, it's too stiff and thick, and it doesn't drape well. But, I like that it's durable and seems to be most people's favorite leather for Indy jackets.

I've been seeing some good things regarding the Shrunken Lamb, but it seems like the color can be hit or miss. And I've heard conflicting opinions on its durability.

So, now I'm torn between Goat and Shrunken Lamb. The impression I have is that Shrunken Lamb is the way to go for the ToD jacket because of the way it distresses and how it drapes.

Any thoughts?

My other question is about the jacket length. The ToD jacket is supposed to be an inch longer than the Raiders jacket. I'm 6'1" with a 42" chest, and my current Raiders jacket from Todd's fits great on my, and the length is perfect for the Raiders cut. That jacket has a 26" back. Should I order a 27" to get the ToD length?

Any suggestions or thoughts would be much appreciated. Just, please, don't say. FYI, I'm committed to getting a Wested, so suggestions about ordering from a different company would be counter-productive. Thanks!
I'd recommenced nubuck skin. 27 inches might be a little long. Ford was about the same height in TOD and his jacket was only a couple inches longer than the Raiders jacket - which was 23 inches long I believe.
LuckyLighter
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by LuckyLighter »

giantthugee86 wrote:
I'd recommenced nubuck skin. 27 inches might be a little long. Ford was about the same height in TOD and his jacket was only a couple inches longer than the Raiders jacket - which was 23 inches long I believe.
Thanks for the reply!

I measured my Todd's, it has a 26" back and it rides high like a Raiders jacket is supposed to. I don't know if my torso is longer than Harrison's, and that's why it fits me differently? But, I agree that 27 inches seems too long. :-k
giantthugee86
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by giantthugee86 »

LuckyLighter wrote:
giantthugee86 wrote:
Thanks for the reply!

I measured my Todd's, it has a 26" back and it rides high like a Raiders jacket is supposed to. I don't know if my torso is longer than Harrison's, and that's why it fits me differently? But, I agree that 27 inches seems too long. :-k
26 inch backlength is a safe bet. For skin go with nubuck or authentic brown lamb. Wish I could get a new Wested too. I know I shouldn't lol
LuckyLighter
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by LuckyLighter »

Thanks for the replies!

As far as sleeve length, some people say to stop at the wrist, while others say to measure to just above the first knuckle of the index finger. If I go to the first knuckle, won't that make the sleeve too long? Or am I misunderstanding how tailoring works?
LuckyLighter
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by LuckyLighter »

Also, is it possible to distress a Goatskin jacket in an SA way? Or will you only ever get the grey tones? Because I want it to get that weathered look either naturally or with a little help from distressing, I would prefer it to have the warm, reddish tones that the lamb tends to have.
teneas
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by teneas »

Make sure they do the vent right!!!!! They screwed mine up, and it's not SA at all, but I still love the jacket. They offered to give me a new jacket if I sent mine back, but it wasn't worth that to me. Just a suggestion.

My temple is Shrunken Lamb, and I love it...though the moment I received it the weather was extremely to hot to wear it.
LuckyLighter
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by LuckyLighter »

teneas wrote:Make sure they do the vent right!!!!! They screwed mine up, and it's not SA at all, but I still love the jacket. They offered to give me a new jacket if I sent mine back, but it wasn't worth that to me. Just a suggestion.

My temple is Shrunken Lamb, and I love it...though the moment I received it the weather was extremely to hot to wear it.
Thanks for the input, teneas!

How do you like the color and durability of the Shrunken Lamb?

What should I request to make sure the vent is correct?
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

I'd be telling them you want an exact copy of the Noel Howard ToD jacket, including that unusual vent.
LuckyLighter
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by LuckyLighter »

CM wrote:I'd be telling them you want an exact copy of the Noel Howard ToD jacket, including that unusual vent.
Thanks! I'll make sure to request an exact copy. But, how should I describe the vent? Do I need to be specific with measurements, or can I just request "the unusual vent?"
giantthugee86
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by giantthugee86 »

teneas wrote:Make sure they do the vent right!!!!! They screwed mine up, and it's not SA at all, but I still love the jacket. They offered to give me a new jacket if I sent mine back, but it wasn't worth that to me. Just a suggestion.

What did yours look like? Pic?
teneas
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by teneas »

LuckyLighter wrote:

Thanks for the input, teneas!

How do you like the color and durability of the Shrunken Lamb?

What should I request to make sure the vent is correct?
The shrunken lamb is a bit lighter than my S&J temple. Feels more substantial however than the thin cowhide from S&J, but nowhere near as dark.

Send them pictures of the vent you want done, and hold them to it. Make sure they acknowledge they know what you are talking about.

Color:

Wrong Vent on mine:

Correct Venting
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

Note that the second image of the vent there is showing the reverse side compared to the first one.
LuckyLighter
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by LuckyLighter »

So, I placed my order on Wednesday, Aug. 10. I decided on the Shrunken Lamb with a 26.5" back, 27.5" sleeves, and requested an exact copy of the Noel Howard.

Now, Wested advises that it take 14-21 working days to create a jacket. So, you can imagine my surprise when they sent me the Dispatch email this morning! Should I be concerned that it only took them 4 working days to make my jacket?
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Not necessarily. I think they tend to give longer lead times to provide production cushion.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Agreed. They were giving that turn around time clear back in 1997 as well. ;)

Regard! Michaelson
Tibor
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Tibor »

Not to worry... Same thing happened when I ordered a Hero in distressed lamb, with custom measurements, had it in hand 9 days later, England to Chicago. When they have a lull, they just start right to work. A couple months later it took about a month. Just depends.
LuckyLighter
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by LuckyLighter »

The jacket arrived today, and I love it! The color is a little lighter than I would have liked, but everything else about it is awesome!

If I were to try to darken it, is there a type of Pecards that I could use on it? it's Shrunken Lamb. I do want to put a water repellent on anyway.

Pics to come soon!
teneas
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by teneas »

LuckyLighter wrote:The jacket arrived today, and I love it! The color is a little lighter than I would have liked, but everything else about it is awesome!

If I were to try to darken it, is there a type of Pecards that I could use on it? it's Shrunken Lamb. I do want to put a water repellent on anyway.

Pics to come soon!
I gave mine a shower, and let it dry.....and it took forever to dry. I then gave it a coat of peckards leather dressing in hopes that it would darken up some. No luck. Still a great jacket, just need the weather to cool down so I can wear it.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Pecard's makes a dressing with a brown tint to it that will add some darker tint to the jacket as well that won't disappear like standard Pecard's does after time..

Regards! Michaelson
LuckyLighter
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by LuckyLighter »

Michaelson wrote:Pecard's makes a dressing with a brown tint to it that will add some darker tint to the jacket as well that won't disappear like standard Pecard's does after time..

Regards! Michaelson
Thanks, Michaelson!

Does it matter, though, that the jacket is made of Shrunken Lamb? I've read that Pecard's has a negative effect on Lamb.

Is the Pecard's dressing you're talking about the Weatherproof dressing?
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Only if you put on a heavy coating. A light coating works fine.

I've been applying light coatings to my lambskin G&B for years with no problem. It's when you try and 'shove' a heavy coating or two into a tight pored hide that it just lays there and becomes tacky.

So, the 'foot stomper' here is LIGHT COATING!

Once it's soaked in overnight in a warm room, buff any excess off with a soft dry cotton cloth to a gloss.

https://www.pecard.com/product/brown-we ... -dressing/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Regard! M
LuckyLighter
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by LuckyLighter »

Great advice! Thanks again!

Now, does the amount of coats you apply determine how dark you can get it?
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Trying to apply too many coatings in quick succession will result in the same issue Michaelson mentioned, the leather reaches a saturation point so the dressing just sits on the surface.

Depending on your climate and overall jacket usage, I would say to not apply a coating more often than every 6 months.

General rule of thumb is to apply dressing once a year.

If you are really looking to change the color, dressing will only get you so far. You'll have to start looking at leather dyes, but that gets very tricky to use.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
LuckyLighter
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by LuckyLighter »

Indiana Jeff wrote:Trying to apply too many coatings in quick succession will result in the same issue Michaelson mentioned, the leather reaches a saturation point so the dressing just sits on the surface.

Depending on your climate and overall jacket usage, I would say to not apply a coating more often than every 6 months.

General rule of thumb is to apply dressing once a year.

If you are really looking to change the color, dressing will only get you so far. You'll have to start looking at leather dyes, but that gets very tricky to use.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Thanks, Indiana Jeff! I'll keep that in mind!

I've heard Pecard's oil can make it darker as opposed to using the weatherproof dressing, but would it be dangerous to use on Shrunken Lamb?
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Short answer? Yes, 'dangerous'....not recommended, but I've heard some of done it.

Personally I would not recommend doing so at all to lambskin.

Regard! M
LuckyLighter
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by LuckyLighter »

So, I took Michaelson's advice and used the Pecard's Weather Dressing with Brown tint, and the jacket looks darker. It went from a light caramel to a kind of chocolate color, and it looks much better than it did before, but not as dark as I would like it to be.

If I gave it another thin coat of the brown tinted dressing, will it make the jacket another shade darker? Will it cause any harm to the jacket if I apply a second coat two weeks after the first one? The directions on the jar said you could apply a second coat to "get the results you're looking for," but I want to make sure that I'm not damaging the leather.

Unrelated question, the action pleats on the jacket feel a little puffy, and sometimes it looks like I have a hunchback when I wear the jacket. Is this normal? Will the action pleats relax and flatten over time?
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

No, another coat of Pecards will not hurt the leather. The leather will only soak in as much as it can, then the excess will just lay on the surface. That's why they say once it's soaked in as much as it can, buff the extra product off the jacket to a shine.

Keep in mind, as Pecards says, the brown dressing is not a dye. All it does is add tint to your jacket along with the dressing being absorbed by the leather. Nothing more.

Don't judge your jacket any way/shape/ or form until you've WORN the jacket for a while. You can't fix something until the jacket relaxes and settles to your body shape/frame and manner of wear.

Patience, my friend.....patience. =;

Wear it regularly for a while, and THEN make adjustments if they are required.

Too often folks try to tweak this or that on a piece of gear before it's ever had a chance to fit the owner, and in the long run they're never satisfied with their new item because it was never given a chance. ;)

Regards! Michaelson :M:
LuckyLighter
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by LuckyLighter »

After a coat of Pecard's, and breaking it in for two weeks, I can honestly say I'm in love with this jacket.

Here it is in action, as Indy makes off with the Maltese FalconImage