Just ordered my first Akubra

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

kozmoedave
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Just ordered my first Akubra

Post by kozmoedave »

My first Indy hat; a Fed IV deluxe. Actually, this would be my second. When I was 12, I bought a (Dorfman Pacific?) hat from the shop at the Stunt Spectacular at what was then MGM Studios. I wore it that whole trip, and could never wear it again because I got caught in the rain more than once. And, as you know, the darn thing was wool. But in the mind of a 12 year old, you should at the very least be able to wear an Indy hat in the rain. :roll: Shrunk the heck out of the thing.

Anyway, for those of you who have yet to try an Akubra or any Indy hat, I'll keep you posted on everything. Before about a year ago, if you'd asked me what a bash was, I would've just given you a weird look. So thanks to everyone here for the incredible wealth of information. It was after doing my research and weighing the options that I chose the Fed IV deluxe.

Here's what's happened so far. I followed the size charts on their site, but included a note with my order regarding what measurement I actually got on the tape. And I actually ordered a black one, thinking I'd be able to wear it onstage (musician). Within a few minutes, I had a very nice email from them saying that based on my measurements, I should actually get one size up, but they were out of it for a few weeks. So I responded and asked if they had the dark brown in stock, since that was going to be my next purchase anyway. They did (it's as though it was meant to be), and after a few more (very courteous and helpful) email exchanges, I had a tracking number. The level of customer service I got right off the bat from hatsdirect.com is almost unheard of these days. More to come...
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Just ordered my first Akubra

Post by Indiana Jeff »

You are going to be very happy.

Be sure to post here when you have it in hand. http://indygear.com/cow/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=28726" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
IndyJedi
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by IndyJedi »

You have chosen wisely. :TOH:
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

:M: :tup:
kozmoedave
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by kozmoedave »

Thanks, guys. I've read nothing but good things about them, and they seem to be an incredible value. And yes, pics when it arrives.
Tennessee Smith
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tennessee Smith »

Congratulations on your first, er... Second (but first :P ) hat!

Now you're just going to have to learn how to bash it ;)

Since Feds come with the open crown you're about to start off on a whole new adventure :TOH:

This link might help :tup:

https://youtu.be/6teKY8gGHfM
Glenville86
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Glenville86 »

I have several Feds in different colors and such. Great hats but I tend to wear them more in the cooler/cold months. For me, they seem thicker than my many other Indy fedoras in rabbit and beaver from various makers.
kozmoedave
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by kozmoedave »

Thanks, Tennesssee Smith, I hadn't seen that one. There's another vid floating around that makes bashing look incredibly easy, although I realize they're professionals.

Glenville86, I live in Michigan, and while it's roasting here right now, in a few weeks, it'll be jacket weather. (Which also gives me a chance to wear my Todd's. I got it a year ago in September and wore it all winter, even in ridiculously cold temps.) Is that thickness part of the reason Akubras are known for being so tough? We see just about everything in Michigan except dry heat (when it gets hot here, it's more like the jungle than the desert), especially this year. One of the reasons I went with Akubra is that they're known for resiliency.
RJR
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by RJR »

I have several INDY Akubras and customs I can't imagine that you won't be happy with your purchase. :tup:
Jeremiah
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Jeremiah »

Congrats. Bashing is super easy thanks to good video tutorials out there.
Glenville86
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Glenville86 »

kozmoedave wrote:Thanks, Tennesssee Smith, I hadn't seen that one. There's another vid floating around that makes bashing look incredibly easy, although I realize they're professionals.

Glenville86, I live in Michigan, and while it's roasting here right now, in a few weeks, it'll be jacket weather. (Which also gives me a chance to wear my Todd's. I got it a year ago in September and wore it all winter, even in ridiculously cold temps.) Is that thickness part of the reason Akubras are known for being so tough? We see just about everything in Michigan except dry heat (when it gets hot here, it's more like the jungle than the desert), especially this year. One of the reasons I went with Akubra is that they're known for resiliency.
I am an office worker now with AC. The Feds for me can be worn if building hopping under warm weather. They do feel thicker than most of my other fur fedora hats. I can wear the others walking the dogs and such with minimal sweating if I wear them in the evening. Even in the cold Winter, the Feds will be very warm and make me sweat with moderate exertion. Great hats but they are my go-to for foul or cold weather. Keep in mind though that everyone is different and there are folks who wear fur felt hats year-round in very warm places while being outside a lot.
Indy_Werner
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Indy_Werner »

Congrats. I have one of the originals from when I was younger. I still wear it and it has grown to me. Good job.
kozmoedave
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by kozmoedave »

It's here! And wow, I've never owned a "real" hat before. Did a quick bash at work (my first). I'm not looking for fine details of a particular scene or anything, and it was pretty easy. One thing, though: the brim. I can't get it to look right, and I think it's mainly the front not wanting to go down. I'll try steam (and post pics) later when I get home, but any other suggestions?
Jeremiah
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Jeremiah »

Cool. Congrats. Yeah steam helps but so will just continued tuning it with your fingers over time.
kozmoedave
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by kozmoedave »

Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Looks fine. Just wear it, and the felt/brim will relax on its own from use.

Regards! Michaelson
doppelganger
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by doppelganger »

The Fed looks great. Ive adventure grimyfied mine using some fullers earth to give it that lived in and abused look. Easily removable for a pristine look if needed.

kozmoedave
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by kozmoedave »

Very cool. This one's staying "new" looking for a while. Sadly, hair loss is going to turn me into a hat wearer, I think. Might as well do it with some style. I'm considering a gray one, and maybe a black one, too.