Period Indy jacket

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Re: Period Indy jacket

Post by backstagejack »

So here's a question to go with this thread.

1. If I were to wear say... an accurate LC style jacket in goat or horsehide..... and time traveled to the 1930s/40s..... would it look out of place?

2. I've found TONS of great period replicas such as the Californian, etc.... but all are very highly priced. Aside from the Skyfall replica jacket from Wested.... any others out there that are decent without the hefty price tag?

3. Skyfall wested..... experiences with that one? From the pic it doesn't look that accurate to me but still has a period look. I was thinking that in goat (if wested offers it... if not shrunken lamb)
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

backstagejack wrote:So here's a question to go with this thread.

1. If I were to wear say... an accurate LC style jacket in goat or horsehide..... and time traveled to the 1930s/40s..... would it look out of place?
Of course not. The Indy jacket is a pastiche of period details. In other words it has borrowed elements seen elsewhere, like the A2 cargo pockets, wind flap and collar. The only unorthodox part that all Indy jackets share is the strange back with it's vent arrangement. Never seen that on any period jacket, but who would stop to stare at that in 1940? The jacket would have to be light blue or have some other strange feature for it to stick out back then.

In terms of price - a good artisan made jacket these days will cost around $1000-$1500 US and the best period repros are made by Goodwear Leather, Aero Leather, Norshor Leathers and Johnson Leathers. While I can afford to spend this, why would I? A jacket is a working garment. Once I pay over $750 the fun goes out of it for me. But others make their choices.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Especially when you factor in the point that once a jacket has left the factory and been worn, it's just considered a used garment from that point on in the secondary market.

Regard! Michaelson
davyjones007
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by davyjones007 »

Going back to the original question about Indy's choice of jacket, I can't help think that it would really depend on where he is at. We know that if Indy went to Nepal to seek out Abner, he would be wearing something a bit more substantial than his usual lambskin jacket. We've seen his house and he packed for his trip. He even wore a blue suit on the seaplane. He also had a a change of clothes after leaving Club Obi Wan. I think he would bring the clothes to match the adventure. With all of that said, if he stayed in mild climates, the jacket we all know and love would probably have been some half belt configuration. But it's all just a guess right?
:lol:
Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Forrest For the Trees »

davyjones007 wrote: I think he would bring the clothes to match the adventure.
Remember, we're talking about a guy who wore wool pants, a leather jacket, and fur felt hat in the jungles of Peru and the Egyptian desert. :P
davyjones007
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by davyjones007 »

Forrest For the Trees wrote:
davyjones007 wrote: I think he would bring the clothes to match the adventure.
Remember, we're talking about a guy who wore wool pants, a leather jacket, and fur felt hat in the jungles of Peru and the Egyptian desert. :P

Very true. So maybe not every adventure was "well planed"... :CR: