Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Captain D
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

WPG Indy Jacket:

Post by Captain D »

Hi all,

Since this jacket has been out for some time now, I just thought that I would see if there have been many buyers of WPG's Indy jacket. And, if so, any reviews, pics, etc.? I did a search, but only located older posts when the jacket was first introduced. Thanks for any and all pics and updates!
Aaron
Glenville86
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Re: WPG Indy Jacket:

Post by Glenville86 »

I had a couple of them awhile back but passed them along as I was weeding out some of my large collection.

They were good jackets for the price. The goatskin used was lightweight and dark. I normally wear a 2XL in jackets and the 2XL fit was fine. The only difference were the back straps on the jackets. One jacket had 1-inch straps and the other had less wide straps. While not 100% accurate for purists, it was a close enough jacket and in my opinion, good for the money.
kozmoedave
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by kozmoedave »

I posted not too long ago asking something similar. As long as the thing is decently constructed, it seems like a really good price. I keep saying, if Todd would make a goatskin jacket, I'd get one or two of those and be done with it. The WPG is REALLY tempting.
Captain D
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Captain D »

Thanks guys for the replies! Yeah, I'll probably aim for one of these WPG jackets. I suppose, at the end of the day, you can have the most screen accurate jacket on-hand, but regardless of the maker - it's what you do with it that build character and stories surrounding any jacket. After all, I've read that the WPG jacket is a cross between Todd's and Gibson & Barnes. Seeing how both are accurate, I say that the WPG jacket is good enough for me, lol.

Anyone happen to have any pics of folks wearing this WPG jacket, by chance (other than the same ol' pic advertised on the main website)?
Thanks again,
Aaron
NR16020
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by NR16020 »

Trying to decide between this and waiting around for Todd's to restock the Coyle jacket. If anybody has any more info on this, I'd also greatly appreciate it.

-Jonah
McQ7
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by McQ7 »

I emailed them last year and got a reply that the current stock (back then) would be used up before they made any alterations...so the pics you've been seeing online are probably accurate unless he's redone the jacket since last fall. They also said that if one requests the proper width back/side straps they can make sure you get the right one. I never ordered because it looked like some of the pocket edge finishing wasn't the neatest/highest quality, and I decided to wait until they could improve on the current version. But a goatskin jacket for that price that's well made would be a good deal, I think.
NR16020
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by NR16020 »

My parents ordered one for me for my birthday. They ordered by phone, and it was scheduled to be delivered today.
When it wasn't delivered, my father called in and asked where it was. He was told that they had no record of credit card information from the order, and rather than thinking to call back (remember, they had the number - it was a phone order), they cancelled the transaction and sold the last jacket in my size.
With Todd's out of stock indefinitely and with WPG now out of stock in my size (and not planning on restocking "for a while"), I'm out of options that I can work into my college-student budget, and I am beyond disappointed.
Just a heads-up in case anyone is thinking about buying this jacket: not the best customer service.
If anyone can think of any more options that I might investigate, please PM me. Meantime, I'll be browsing elsewhere in the jacket forum.

Thanks.
-Jonah
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

Don't forget about the US wings clearance. They have a range of prices.
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

That's super disappointing. Unfortunately WPG's customer service has never been overly impressive.

Hopefully with Indy 5 announced vendors will see the value in restocking their Indy gear sooner than later.

The secondary market is a great place to find well discounted jackets. At the same price point of the WPG jacket you can get a really nice 2nd hand jacket. Start a thread in the Marrakesh Supply Co section with your size specs. A member here may have a jacket collecting dust. And our very own Cairo Bazaar always has jackets for sale from members who know quality.

If you're going to check around on ebay though, check here before making any final purchases. There is no shortage of vendors whose prices are truly too good to be true and you'll end up wasting money.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Captain D
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Captain D »

In agreement, sorry to learn of this recent experience as well. What size do you take? Reason being, I was contemplating a WPG Indy jacket myself, so I'm just curious what sizes do they have left. But, yes, re-stocking these jackets prior to Indy 5 would be a smart move indefinitely - however, I hope that it won't take them that long, lol!
NR16020
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by NR16020 »

Sorry - been working a lot these past few days. Luckily for me, I have a very generous family, so with my birthday gifts, I was able to spring for an OTR Wested. To be delivered on Monday. Thanks to everyone who PM'd me.