Reverse Crack?

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

Bad Penny
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Reverse Crack?

Post by Bad Penny »

In some of the behind the scenes footage for ROTLA, Ford can be seen practicing with the whip. He does this strange move which begins as a classic whipcrack over his head, but instead at the last minute, he sort of reverses direction and cracks it back toward his right side. What is this called?
Tennessee R
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Tennessee R »

Where is this footage? In the DVDs?
And also, in which chapter?
Bad Penny
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bad Penny »

Tennessee R wrote:Where is this footage? In the DVDs?
And also, in which chapter?
Actually, you can see it really well on the "Great Movie Stunts" video, when Ford is practicing on the sub. I'll review the bonus DVd and see if its there.
Bad Penny
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bad Penny »

Ok, I saw him do it once on the bonus DVD. Its on the "Making of Raiders" featurette, and he does it as he's talking about (voice over) someone coming to his house teaching him the bullwhip. Ford kicks a stuntman in the stomach, and then he does that "reverse crack".

Its much more prominent on the "Great Movie Stunts" video, and its shown from an overhead P.O.V.
Tennessee R
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Tennessee R »

I just watched it.
It seems that the first crack (the half-second of a scene) is an overhand (or, as Mike Murphy calls it "The Flick").
And the second - the one you are asking about - looks like the crack that Alex Green describes on "Whipcracking part 1", you swing it around your head a few times, then cut back at four o-clock. (I think he calls it the reverse horizontal crack.)
Bad Penny
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bad Penny »

Tennessee R wrote:I just watched it.
It seems that the first crack (the half-second of a scene) is an overhand (or, as Mike Murphy calls it "The Flick").
And the second - the one you are asking about - looks like the crack that Alex Green describes on "Whipcracking part 1", you swing it around your head a few times, then cut back at four o-clock. (I think he calls it the reverse horizontal crack.)
Yes! I just received Paul Stenhouse's DVD today, and he called it the "horizontal crack". Mystery solved!
Tennessee R
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Tennessee R »

Yes, mystery solved, and as Michael Caine (sp?) would say in "Sherlock Holmes: Without a Clue":

"Case Solved" :D I like that movie.
Obi1kenny
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Obi1kenny »

Hey very cool, I didn't know that was onthe DVD, I will have to look for it.

This crack is actually my favorite, as it is easy and makes a nice loud pop. Big thanks go to my buddy Zendragon for showing me how do do this. As I am not good at all and need a lot more practice.
thefish
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by thefish »

I learned that one yesterday, and it has fast become my favorite too.

The nifty thing is, it's just your standard "Circus Crack" turned 180 degrees to a horizontal plane. It's REALLY simple, and it looks so good!