Kelso Liberty vs. Victory Horsehide

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Tyrloch
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Kelso Liberty vs. Victory Horsehide

Post by Tyrloch »

Does anyone here have experience with both of these versions of Kelso's horsehide? I've seen Baldwyn's pics of his Victory, but that is sadly out of reach. So I'm wondering how does the Liberty compare? It's still a mighty sum, but doable with some saving up. Depending on the replies I may need to stick with my original choice of goatskin. Thanks for any help...
Canasta
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Re: Kelso Liberty vs. Victory Horsehide

Post by Canasta »

I have one on order and should be here in a few more weeks.
I'll be sure to post pics.

C
Baldwyn
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Baldwyn »

Yeah, the Victory Horse was much more affordable when it was first introduced. But like Andy was saying at the time, most of us can't have the best things in life, but you can have the best horsehide! Still true....

ImageImageImageImage

The Liberty horse doesn't have as much character out of the box as the Victory. It seems much more supple, and at least the russet seems to have a very even dye. It'll be interesting to see how it changes over time; I've only had the jacket a few days.

There's a horsehide mark 31 that's 450 pounds. Man, had I seen that, that's probably the route I would have taken for the above jacket.
Baldwyn
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Baldwyn »

BK's website actually seems to display these leathers very well, in their jackets. Tyrloch, I think you're buying a Mark31 HH.

VHH Wild Boy:
http://www.billkelsomfg.com/store/en.ph ... ew&prod=35" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Liberty HH Wingman:
http://www.billkelsomfg.com/store/en.ph ... ew&prod=31" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mark31 HH Cossack:
http://www.billkelsomfg.com/store/en.ph ... ew&prod=29" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Goatskin Aviator:
http://www.billkelsomfg.com/store/en.ph ... ew&prod=27" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tyrloch
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Tyrloch »

Thanks for the links! And I would be going with the Mark 31 if it was darker than that: it only comes in seal, not dark seal. ](*,)
Baldwyn
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Baldwyn »

Get some samples from Andy of all three horsehides and the goat. The Mark 31 in seal looks darker than the Victory seal.
Tyrloch
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Tyrloch »

Huh, going by the online swatches that's what i thought, but Andy assured me that the seal goatskin is darker than the Mark 32, and the absolute darkest was the Liberty dark seal...
afalzon
Vendor

Post by afalzon »

The difference between Victory and Liberty is that Victory has been stained with transparent natural dyes from vegetable extracts. Liberty on the other hand has been sprayed a top coating and has an even color much like vintage leather jackets of the 1940s.

In Liberty the top coating will fade soon with time and wear and the jacket will develop the so called patina.

We have made Relic Hunter jackets in Liberty Dark seal and they looked great.
To understand the difference between the colors, Liberty seal appears like milk chocolate when outdoors and considerably darker indoors, very sweet color. The dark seal is like bitter chocolate color.

Victory is much more natural (smells like trees, wine etc) and is not only the best horsehide we have seen but also better leather compared to other high quality leathers like Badalassi cowhide etc. Really high end stuff than nothing can top.

Mark 31 horsehide is the same leather as G&B's Mahogany horsehide. Liberty is a much better quality than Mark 31.

The Goatskin you see on our website USN jackets is not the same with what we have now, we should update the pics. If you are familiar with original G-1 jackets from the 1950s-1960s that's what it looks like.

I hope this helps.