Felt fading

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Felt fading

Post by BendingOak »

Since the topic was brought up. Felt will fade the first year or so depending on the amount of sun it gets. There are other factors as well. That is the main reason why Steve Delk aka Adventirebilt hats went with the slightly darker felt. He wanted his Indy hats to be screen accurate for the most of the life hat not just out of the box. Since for many years he was the big buyer of that color he took the direction of that felt color. I followed suit as that is what was available and I am of the same mind set. Since both of us make hats to last and for the long haul. Since the decline of his health, things have changed. I have moved for there to be two colors available from Winchester felt. As I wanted to give the customers a choice between screen accurate for the rest of the life of the hat and screen accurate right out of the box. This is why we have two Indy brown colors from whinchester.

John

http://www.penmamhats.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Re: Felt fading

Post by Michaelson »

Thanks for starting a new thread regarding this topic, John.

Where I live in Franklin County, TN, and Winchester, TN is the county seat of my county, as well as the home of Winchester Hat Co., (the maker of Winchester felt), I actually get to SEE a lot of the felt made by the company on the heads of folks who live around here....but mostly in the way of cowboy hats due to the fact Nashville is just up the road from us. :lol:

One things seen (and experienced) is the fading of rabbit more so than beaver.

Does it have anything to do with the type fur the dye is used on, beaver being denser and able to hold the dye longer, or is it the dye itself and how it reacts to the felt it's being used on.

Other than color, do you have to specify anything special regarding resistance to fading?

Any thoughts you can share on this?

Speaking strictly for myself, all my rabbit felt hats, regardless of maker, have always faded faster than my beaver.......though I'm sure ALL my beaver hats HAVE faded as well. I just haven't noticed it as much as my rabbit felts.

Regard! Michaelson
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

I think the reason you think they fade fast as you would tend to wear them in hotter weather. Everything fades from the sun.
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

Salt plays a factor in it as well. Brushing a hat on a regular bases will help.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Good point, John. :-k

Rabbit IS a good bit cooler in summer heat if you're GOING to wear felt in the summer.

I usually pull out a straw when the humidity starts climbing, and even THAT hat and ribbon is fading from sun exposure...... :|

Thanks! :M: :tup:

Regard! M
mcmanm
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by mcmanm »

Passed though Winchester on way to Ironton, OH. In back of mind wondered if that was where they made the felt bodies. Do they have a store front? Always wondered if they did.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Nope, no store front. Just a great big white cinder block building.

Regards! M
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

I think Penman offering two different colors to choose from a solid business decision, as it satisfies either the cosplay collector with a SA hat out of the box, or those who are just wearing them for the long haul (like me) and want one that will evolve into what it evolves to over time and use.

Regards! M
Jeremiah
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Jeremiah »

I agree. Sad are the days I can't wear my fedora due to what I am doing or just plain insane rain.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Actually, that's when I pull out one of my beaver fedoras to wear. :TOH:

Regard! M
Jeremiah
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Jeremiah »

No doubt they can handle it.