Del Carpio 9ft Raiders whip

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

adiemilio
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Del Carpio 9ft Raiders whip

Post by adiemilio »

Hey guys, just got this in the mail yesterday from Trinity Whip Co. it's a Del Carpio 9ft Raiders from around 2011, still date to be confirmed, and I have to say I'm amazed with the quality, I have never owned a whip like this, my first whip was a Mexican/noodle/plastic-cable-core/masking tape wrapped rope transition/cowhide purchased in Tijuana for about $40 dlls back then, It was 9 1/2 ft and had an 11 inch thin handle, It was a piece of junk and I never managed to do good wraps with it, not even body wraps to my unsuspected and sometimes running away brother :lol: .

Around 2008 after finally knowing the original maker for the screen used whips was David Morgan my quest started to one day purchase a "real" whip. Since the only things within my budget was a DM white hide fall with crackers and some pecards, I replaced the original fall that was made with the same kind of strand as the whip overlay and that was quickly getting shorter with them, the feel of the whip changed completely, after watching Adam Winrich's video on the many ways to crack a whip I managed to pull several of the cracks with it, and the SOC routine, I cracked it on dirt, wet grass, on the road pavement, inside the house, and showed it off to my friends, who are still some waiting for me for some whip lessons :whip:

Finally after a hard time saving the money I noticed this whip came out on Blake's page, I couldn't let the chance to own a raiders whip for a fair price go by, who knows when it will happen again, after seeing so many pictures of post-Last Crusade DM whips I was preferring to get one with the ticker-shorter handle, the Raiders just seemed too thin and long, but I always liked how the thin whip looked on the RotLA VHS cover, and it sure looks better than my previous 10 in. handle one, it's just perfect. I always thought my whip was actually a 10 footer, and having read so many comments on the differences between an 8ft and a 10ft, I think 9ft was the way to go.

Sorry for the bad pic, It was getting dark and I shot it indoors, was too eager to post it right now. Haven't even used it since my backyard is dirt at the moment, now I know why so many people hold on cracking on hard surfaces.

I'm still looking forward on getting a Terry Jacka CS one day, and undid my old whip's overlay so I can make it nice with bolsters and belly and give it to one of my whip cracking learning friends :)
chenricy
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by chenricy »

Very nice! I have his 8 footer and a Morgan 10 footer and I love the feel of my Del Carpio, great guy too.
adiemilio
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Re:

Post by adiemilio »

chenricy wrote:Very nice! I have his 8 footer and a Morgan 10 footer and I love the feel of my Del Carpio, great guy too.
Yeah I was impressed with the stiffness and the way it rolls out something I had only seen on video, not as loose and floppy as some pictures made me think it would be. Makes me wonder just how stiff a Jacka CS really is.
Adventure Dog
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Re: Del Carpio 9ft Raiders whip

Post by Adventure Dog »

That there is my dream whip! Del Carpio makes them so beautifully.
adiemilio
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by adiemilio »

Adventure Dog wrote:That there is my dream whip! Del Carpio makes them so beautifully.
Yes, and it's definitely much beautifull in person than what a pic can tell. :TOH:
chenricy
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Re: Re:

Post by chenricy »

adiemilio wrote:
chenricy wrote:Very nice! I have his 8 footer and a Morgan 10 footer and I love the feel of my Del Carpio, great guy too.
Yeah I was impressed with the stiffness and the way it rolls out something I had only seen on video, not as loose and floppy as some pictures made me think it would be. Makes me wonder just how stiff a Jacka CS really is.
OMG you are soo right! I would like one more whip and I would seriously consider a Jacka as that 3rd whip.
adiemilio
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by adiemilio »

Today was my first time cracking it, man was it tough, and I thought I was good at it, couldn't do a single crack only a very silent one with the SoC movements, other than that just swooshes, the final 2 ft of the braiding were curling when I picked it up, maybe since it was mainly stored by the previous owner. DM said you shouldn't be too aggressive o rough with your movements, if it cracks it has to be with the least effort. :-k
Blake Bruning
Vendor

Post by Blake Bruning »

It was made in Spring 2012.
Jeremiah
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Jeremiah »

adiemilio wrote:Today was my first time cracking it, man was it tough, and I thought I was good at it, couldn't do a single crack only a very silent one with the SoC movements, other than that just swooshes, the final 2 ft of the braiding were curling when I picked it up, maybe since it was mainly stored by the previous owner. DM said you shouldn't be too aggressive o rough with your movements, if it cracks it has to be with the least effort. :-k
That curling, if what I am thinking of, is nothing to worry about. The whip is not fully broken in yet and it will loosen up and be more flexible with use. Just don't force it looser with your hands though. Let it happen naturally.
Last edited by Jeremiah on Sun Jun 12, 2016 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blake Bruning
Vendor

Post by Blake Bruning »

The problem with low end/quality whips is that they are constructed poorly. While one can learn to crack them, they will cause all sorts of bad habbits. I good guilty whips should be weighted well and once directed it should roll out effortlessly in the direction it is guided. Everyone I see a video of one of my babies being "whipped around" I can't help but wince though I know they can handle it. Of coarse there will be a learning curve to find finesse...it can only be found if it is sought so, Congratulations on knowing it can be done. Adam Winrich has a wealth of knowledge on youtube for all the ways to crack a whip so I never made any advanced turorials, but I found next to no one really explains how to "feel the whip". So I made a lot of really basic videos for 1st timers that I believe may help anyone even if they had some decent expirience.

http://www.trinitywhipco.com/#!whip-tutorial/c1bnk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by Blake Bruning on Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
adiemilio
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by adiemilio »

Jeremiah wrote:That curling, if what I am thinking of, is nothing to worry about. The whip is not fully broken in yet and it will loosen up and be more flexible with use. Just don't force it looser with your hands though. Let it happen naturally.
Yes, will certainly let it take it's natural time to loosen up :TOH: ; even though there is something appealing to it being the way it is.
Blake Bruning wrote:It was made in Spring 2012.
Thank you for your comments Blake :) , and for the link to the videos, I already started experimenting with the belly backwards technique, only practice will help.