About the Grey Clipper Fedora

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

ninman
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

About the Grey Clipper Fedora

Post by ninman »

There's something I've noticed when I've been analysing the grey hat from Raiders. The hat has an identical bash to the Hero Fedora, but he wears it unturned. In other words, the pinch does not sit above his nose. Is there a reason for that? Do you think it's a good look to try for future hats?
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Re: About the Grey Clipper Fedora

Post by WConly »

ninman wrote:There's something I've noticed when I've been analysing the grey hat from Raiders. The hat has an identical bash to the Hero Fedora, but he wears it unturned. In other words, the pinch does not sit above his nose. Is there a reason for that? Do you think it's a good look to try for future hats?
I'm trying to understand your question here...what is baffling me is your statement: "the pinch does not sit above his nose." What I have always observed with Ford is that all of his hats tend to sit a bit astray (if you will) off center to his nose (turned or unturned). Perhaps, I am just not grasping fully what it is you are attempting to ask here. W>
ninman
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by ninman »

WConly wrote:
ninman wrote:There's something I've noticed when I've been analysing the grey hat from Raiders. The hat has an identical bash to the Hero Fedora, but he wears it unturned. In other words, the pinch does not sit above his nose. Is there a reason for that? Do you think it's a good look to try for future hats?
I'm trying to understand your question here...what is baffling me is your statement: "the pinch does not sit above his nose." What I have always observed with Ford is that all of his hats tend to sit a bit astray (if you will) off center to his nose (turned or unturned). Perhaps, I am just not grasping fully what it is you are attempting to ask here. W>
The normal hat, his pinch sits directly above his nose, but on the grey hat the pinch is off centre. I'm wondering if you're supposed to wear the hat with the pinch off centre, or do you think that having it directly above the nose is the best way to wear it?
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

ninman wrote:
WConly wrote:
The normal hat, his pinch sits directly above his nose, but on the grey hat the pinch is off centre. I'm wondering if you're supposed to wear the hat with the pinch off centre, or do you think that having it directly above the nose is the best way to wear it?
I wear mine pretty much dead center to my face, but Ford and others oft-times do not. It could be (in Ford's case) due to his head/hat being large oval, as opposed to round(ed). W>
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

It's most likely that he just didn't notice it wasn't in straight. I have that same problem with my AB legacy. The felt is so floppy that if I'm not looking at it in a mirror I some times have it off a tad.
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

BendingOak wrote:It's most likely that he just didn't notice it wasn't in straight. I have that same problem with my AB legacy. The felt is so floppy that if I'm not looking at it in a mirror I some times have it off a tad.
Never thought of this -- too easy, I suppose. And FWIW, I have the same issues with my ABL, as well. W>
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

Easy ones tend to be the correct ones.
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

"Happens to me all the time."

(And I don't even have an ABL)

To address the quandy, askew or not askew... there is a school of thought which maintains that the proper way to wear a hat is always slightly less than straight. Be it tilted or twisted, up, down, back... but never perfectly straight. I say, do it your way!