Peters Brothers custom fedora thread....

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Re: Peters Brothers custom fedora thread....

Post by Michaelson »

BendingOak wrote:
Until a certain movie comes out, I think
Your fine on my part. ;)
There you go folks.....forewarned is forearmed. :M: :tup:

We saw this happen when the last film came out.

If you're in the market for a top drawer hat, you best get on the stick with a Penman, Garrison, ABDeluxe, or another OTHER fine hat maker just to mention those 3, before there's another 'land rush'. Hesitation is NOT recommended.

That's good advice. Many of us have 'been there, done that, don't want the tee-shirt'. ;)

Regard! M
mcmanm
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by mcmanm »

I'll try to call.
mcmanm
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by mcmanm »

Is there a good email out there to use?
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

I'd agree....call. I even tried to send them a message at their FB page, and when you hit 'submit', it just clears the message.

They're not very 'tech savvy' at all, which surprises me, considering it's Joe's grandson who's supposedly running the shop now. :-s

Regard! M
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

I've place two orders with them over the years. One through the website and the other via email. Both times required follow-up phone calls on my part to finalize the order.

To their credit, very accommodating, friendly phone calls.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Yeah, don't misunderstand me......they're great folks to deal with. I just miss the old days. :( (dang, I'm sounding like my late Dad now! #-o )

Heard back from PB and they say the good email address to reach them IS info@pbhats.com .

Regard! M
micsteam
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by micsteam »

When I first got into this hobby (circa 2003) I found Indygear and one of the premiere hat makers mentioned (within $$ reason) was PB. It was Joe Sr. that responded and made me a beautiful Raiders fedora, it was a little small/tight (my fault on measurement but very stiff but they're cowboy hat makers) but in correspondence Joe sent me a custom hat expander, great customer service and overall good people to deal with ! Needless to say, years went by, I got out of the hobby for awhile sold the original PB hat but when I got back in I ordered a new one and was told Joe Sr.'s son was making them now and I have to say I was not happy. I don't like to say bad things about no one but again the company is in Texas and they cater to the horse/equestrian circuit and I have no doubt Joe Sr.'s son has great hat making skills but the hat I received was sub par, I say this because it wasn't the lack of hat making skills as it was a lack of passion. There is a long history at PB for making hats, several generations, although I wasn't enthused with their last production for me I had very good customer service and good experiences with them and I wish them well ! :TOH:
Glenville86
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Glenville86 »

I ordered and paid for an Indy Straw hat. Much time went by past the projected finish date. I opened a PayPal dispute and my hat was sent within a week.........
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

Glenville86 wrote:I ordered and paid for an Indy Straw hat. Much time went by past the projected finish date. I opened a PayPal dispute and my hat was sent within a week.........

I've always enjoyed how quickly prospects change when you open a paypal dispute.... ;)
davidafshar
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by davidafshar »

Called both Texas Hatters and Peter Brothers today to see about cleaning and re-blocking a vintage child's cowboy hat that my uncle gave to my son. While I had the folks at Peter Brothers on the horn, I thought to ask them about their custom Indy fedoras. It was sort of an afterthought while I was on the phone, so I didn't ask as many questions as I should have. However, the gentleman I talked to told me that a custom rabbit felt hat would cost "about 300 dollars" and that this would be the case for either the soft rabbit or the stiffer, western style. I did not ask about the blended felt or the beaver. One of the things I wish I had thought about once I got off the phone. Since I am not in the market for an Indy Hat at this time, I didn't bother to ask about wait times. I didn't catch the gentleman's name, but he was very helpful discussing my uncle's old cowboy hat and was friendly in answering my (admittedly very brief) questions about the Indy hat.

So perhaps it is not time to write Peter Brothers off just yet? However, with more accurate versions in the same price range available, and when you consider the wait times some folks have been quoted in the past, I'm not sure this will be my first stop when it comes time to pick up an Indy hat, though the fact that they have a brick and mortar store front that I could make the trek to relatively easily is a plus.

Anyway, just thought I'd pass along this data point.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Just had a nice visit at PB this morning and discussed Milan hat restoration.

Joe Peters created the first bespoke Milan straw Indy back in 2005 (I still have it), and many folks have ordered it since.

Apparently Poppa Joe ordered a thousand each of 3 inch and 2 inch brim bodies, and they’ve been working through that inventory ever since 2004!

They are getting low on the 3 inch, so if you’ve had an itch to buy one someday, you may want to pull the trigger pretty soon. They don’t just make Indy hats out of these bodies.

This body is definitely a sunblocker where many aren’t, and last for decades.....literally!

They can replace the ribbon and sweatband, and attempt to add a little stiffner to the straw, but once it starts to loosen up, there’s not much they can do to the hat.

Staying out of the rain is best, but if you WEAR your hat, as you well know, you never know what Mother Nature will throw at it.

I was told one customer had his Indy straw on a cruise and it blew off into the ocean. They eventually fished it out and once dry, it was sent back into PB for refurbishment. They said they were QUITE surprised how well it survived, but didn’t recommend doing that. ;)

I was also told they made a 6 oz Winchester felt hat for a customer recently (in their rating system, a 1000x beaver) that I didn’t even know Winchester offered as a felt weight! :-k

Anyway, Peters Brothers are still there, hand making hats like the have since 1917 and are still a part of our collective history here in the hobby, as other than the makers like Steve Delk and HatsDirect, they were the FIRST to offer bespoke Indy fedoras and one of the FIRST vendors to hold and Indygear summit at the shop.

Nice people.

Regards! Michaelson :M:
jlee562
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by jlee562 »

How's their recent work looking? We had a Fedora Lounge member who got a really bad ribbon job on a Shady Oaks refurb in the fall of 2017. Apparently Shane, who had been doing the ribbons, departed. Everyone over in TFL have been hesitant to use them since.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

What I saw looked good today.

Regards! M
JackShannon
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by JackShannon »

HA! I ordered my first Milan straw Indy hat through them yesterday by email. In the Raiders style. I was corresponding with a guy named Brad.

Cant wait to receive it!
IndianaJustin
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IndianaJustin »

Could you post pics when you receive please. Also where is the price list? I missed it on the website. Thanks for your help. :TOH:
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

JackShannon wrote:HA! I ordered my first Milan straw Indy hat through them yesterday by email. In the Raiders style. I was corresponding with a guy named Brad.

Cant wait to receive it!
The ‘guy named Brad’ is Brad Peters himself. He’s the great grandson of the founder of the shop.

Regards! M
jlee562
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by jlee562 »

Michaelson wrote:What I saw looked good today.

Regards! M
Glad to hear they are on the upswing. It would be a shame to lose such a historic shop.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

I don’t think occasional inconsistent ribbon work will cause a loss of the shop by any stretch of the imagination. Their bread and butter business is cowboy hats, and they sell and service a LOT!
:TOH:

Regards! M
JackShannon
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by JackShannon »

IndianaJustin wrote:Could you post pics when you receive please. Also where is the price list? I missed it on the website. Thanks for your help. :TOH:
Yeah I will post the pics when the hat comes in. It will be 2 to 4 weeks before they ship to me.

Price according to Brad is around $160 for the custom hat plus $20 for shipping. PB Facebook page has a few good pictures of the hat as well.
JackShannon
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by JackShannon »

Michaelson wrote:
JackShannon wrote:HA! I ordered my first Milan straw Indy hat through them yesterday by email. In the Raiders style. I was corresponding with a guy named Brad.

Cant wait to receive it!
The ‘guy named Brad’ is Brad Peters himself. He’s the great grandson of the founder of the shop.

Regards! M

Nice! :D
IndianaJustin
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IndianaJustin »

JackShannon wrote:
IndianaJustin wrote:Could you post pics when you receive please. Also where is the price list? I missed it on the website. Thanks for your help. :TOH:
Yeah I will post the pics when the hat comes in. It will be 2 to 4 weeks before they ship to me.

Price according to Brad is around $160 for the custom hat plus $20 for shipping. PB Facebook page has a few good pictures of the hat as well.
Thanks for the info ;)
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Shouldn’t be that long. I met Brad in the shop today and he said that hat was being finished up.

Regards! M
JackShannon
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by JackShannon »

Michaelson wrote:Shouldn’t be that long. I met Brad in the shop today and he said that hat was being finished up.

Regards! M
\:D/ hope it is mine!
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Probably was. He said it had been a while since they had a Milan order. :-k

Regards! M
darthjones2
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by darthjones2 »

Hello!

Peters Brothers site seems to be a bit sparse and unfinished lately.

And been a while since I've had one of those.

Is there any place online where I can get an idea of the different furs/ weights they offer?
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Email or message them on their FB page and they get right back to you.

Regards! Michaelson
JackShannon
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by JackShannon »

I emailed Brad at:

info@pbhats.com

He was pretty good about responding in a timely manner.
darthjones2
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by darthjones2 »

Michaelson wrote:Email or message them on their FB page and they get right back to you.

Regards! Michaelson

Thanks!! :)
JackShannon
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by JackShannon »

Hey guys, need some advice: I ordered an Indy Milan in mid July. Was told it would be 2 to 4 weeks. I have emailed them a few times since the end of the 4 week time period, and my emails are either ignored or I am told that it will be another couple of days. Today is Oct 8th. I know they are a smaller hat shop, and everything is handmade.... so am I being impatient, or should I bother them a little more? I know a few guys on here are friends with the Peters Bros. people, and I am not trying to make any trouble, but I really want my hat, as the window to wear it is closing due to it getting colder where I live, and I wont have much use for it until spring soon.

So any input on how to proceed would be helpful.
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Have you tried calling? I found emailing isn't the best way to communicate with PB. Calls have been much more productive/successful.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Odd. They've been VERY active on their FB page. Did you try there? :-k

Like Jeff said, though, calling will give you a definite answer.

Copied from their website:
For the quickest service, call us at (817) 335-1715,
or email us at
info@pbhats.com
Regards! M
JackShannon
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by JackShannon »

I received my Indy Milan today!!!! YAY! I will post pictures and a review soon.
IndianaJustin
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IndianaJustin »

JackShannon wrote:I received my Indy Milan today!!!! YAY! I will post pictures and a review soon.
Please do as I'm very interested in this hat for me. Thanks in advance. I need a hat for summer here in Florida. :TOH: Actually for year round!
JackShannon
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by JackShannon »

Quick Review: the Indy Milan straw/hemp hat looks fantastic. Nice quality, nice shape, nice summer colors, seems very breathable. The hat is stiff, definitely not a floppy straw hat. I asked for a Raiders style. Worth the VERY long wait. Was told 2 to 4 weeks when I ordered in July. I recieved the hat November 12th. So expect a very long wait. Probably much longer than they tell you up front. If you want one for next summer, order soon.
IndianaJustin
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IndianaJustin »

Thanks for that. Got an email in to them to inquire. Look forward to your pics!
JackShannon
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by JackShannon »

A few pictures:
Attachments
20191112_110633-200x400.jpg
20191112_110633-200x400.jpg (83.61 KiB) Viewed 1834 times
20191112_110612-400x200.jpg
20191112_110612-400x200.jpg (37.73 KiB) Viewed 1834 times
20191112_110621-400x200.jpg
20191112_110621-400x200.jpg (37.29 KiB) Viewed 1834 times
JackShannon
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by JackShannon »

Hat on:

Also, if you have any questions let me know. I will do my best to answer them!
Attachments
20191113_091127-250x400.jpg
20191113_091127-250x400.jpg (68.54 KiB) Viewed 1834 times
IndianaJustin
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IndianaJustin »

Very nice, thanks for sharing. I'm still waiting for a reply from my email inquiry. I really hope it doesn't take long to make, when you're Jonesin for a hat, you're Jonesin for it now ;)