Disney Indiana jones show

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Jeremiah
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Jeremiah »

Anyone here recently been there? What hat do the guys use there? Anyone know who makes them?
Cajunkraut

Re: Disney Indiana jones show

Post by Cajunkraut »

Ew, good question.

It's not very SA as I recall, so I'm not sure anyone here has given it much thought. The current whip seems to get the attention.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

I was there the first week of February, and he was wearing a Dorfman-Pacific.

Regards! Michaelson
Jeremiah
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Jeremiah »

Really? Someone should get them connected with a good hatter.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

DP is the official supplier to Disney for their stores, so I don't see that happening anytime soon. ;)

Regards! Michaelson
micsteam
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by micsteam »

I live down here in South Florida and gout WDW often and seen the show several times and I'm with Michelson on this, it's a Dorfman Pacific. :TOH:
marshall2288
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by marshall2288 »

I'm an annual passholder so I see the show pretty regularly. Honestly, you're so far away I don't even think someone with a keen eye (other than COW people) would even notice.
Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

marshall2288 wrote:I don't even think someone with a keen eye (other than COW people) would even notice.
You'll find lots o' that around these here parts. Welcome. :TOH:
Jeremiah
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Jeremiah »

Oh I would bring my binoculars and pick apart the stitching. :lol:
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Consistently when our members have met with the stunt performers, the performers have been very complimentary of our members' hats.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

Indiana Jeff wrote:Consistently when our members have met with the stunt performers, the performers have been very complimentary of our members' hats.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
This has been my experience. He jokingly asked if I wanted to trade. Hmm lemme think about it...no thanks. Always very happy to see people in the audience wearing Indy gear. I imagine you have to enjoy the movies to beat yourself up like that for a living in the Florida heat and humidity. My dream job!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tennessee Smith
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tennessee Smith »

We sat on the first or second row once and I could still see the metal/brass Indiana Jones pin still in the bow :lol:

I guess he needed to remember it was his hat :rolling:
baddates1
Vendor

Post by baddates1 »

It's funny how Disney has a screen accurate bullwhip for the actor, and jacket, and satchel, but not a SA hat. It's like they know that it's not a SA hat, and they don't want to do a thing about it lol :lol:
Dr. Nebraska S.

Post by Dr. Nebraska S. »

Perhaps they have to wear the hats available for sale at the shops there? That's what I always figured with the Disneyland ride: aim for the merchandising.

Best wishes,
Dr. Nebraska S.

ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

baddates1 wrote:It's funny how Disney has a screen accurate bullwhip for the actor, and jacket, and satchel, but not a SA hat. It's like they know that it's not a SA hat, and they don't want to do a thing about it lol :lol:
What you gotta remember though is that they get beaten up, sweat into, torn up etc. They also have a handful of different Indys so to have a supply of custom hats for each guy wouldn't be cost effective or logistically possible. Whereas they can go back and say "Bob needs a new large hat" and someone opens a box and tosses one over. Plus people see the hat in the show and zip out to one of the two gift shops and snatch em up. $$$

Tennessee Smith
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yeah, it's all about merchandising and the fact that the general public or casual fan wouldn't be able to tell the difference anyways. Sure we count stitches, judge the gap on a jacket, and what not but most folks would settle for a Rubies costume for Halloween. Granted they are sick twisted individuals that need to be properly educated and indoctrinated in the truth... That's why "we" are here :lol:
Charybdis
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Charybdis »

I think the question is who exactly are the sick twisted individuals? ;)
Tennessee Smith
Site Admin
Site Admin

Charybdis wrote:I think the question is who exactly are the sick twisted individuals? ;)
Well... Basically all of us before we had our enlightenment with the truth ;) :lol:

A truth that no one can agree with either. Gray hat anyone? :rolling:
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

Tennessee Smith wrote:
Charybdis wrote:I think the question is who exactly are the sick twisted individuals? ;)
Well... Basically all of us before we had our enlightenment with the truth ;) :lol:

A truth that no one can agree with either. Gray hat anyone? :rolling:
No no no, the color is secondary to the correct ribbon sir. Get it right!

Jeremiah
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Jeremiah »

Well thanks. Btw, anyone know the whip maker who provides the SA whips for the show?
Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

Jeremiah wrote:Btw, anyone know the whip maker who provides the SA whips for the show?
It's currently Paul Nolan & Lauren Wickline at MidWest Whips.

http://www.midwestwhips.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Before that, it was Joe Strain (now semi-retired from whipmaking) at Northern Whip Co.

http://www.northernwhipco.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by Cajunkraut on Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeremiah
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Jeremiah »

Well. That is good. The make a very nice whip. i have one from them made by casey Tyler.
CRB
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by CRB »

I was there last week actually. Have video of the hat and jacket. Definitely a DP hat. And you know what, I liked the waterproof distressed cotton version they sold in the outpost so much, I bought it. Not even close to SA but it was a nice hat, and to me that counts for something. Will post photos.
Last edited by CRB on Thu Apr 14, 2016 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chenricy
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by chenricy »

You know I was recently at that show and other than the pants everything was wrong on that costume! I purposely sat right in front to get the best view and nothing like what I expected. The whip was stiff as cable but did have a clean snap (looked black from where I was sitting and they put it in a steel case right after so that was pretty cool).

Instead of taking away from the experience, it actually made me happy about all the money I spent to get the 'authentic' screen accurate stuff. Disney did not want to go through the time and money ordering hand-made stuff that costs good money and takes months to acquire from different companies because people just don't notice. That made it really enjoyable to me. I took the time and ordered everything full price to get the closest I could to the 'real' Indy, and even Disney's INDIANA JONES STUNT SPECTACULAR didn't feel the need to do that. That made me feel good! ;)
CRB
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by CRB »

Here are some photos are promised. Yes, it's ok to cringe ...

Screencapped
Vendor

Post by Screencapped »

Surely with all the negative feedback surrounding the DP someone, somewhere with Disney has noticed and will improve on the Indy 5 release. :TOH:
Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

Wut the heck is going on with that holster. :-k
Jeremiah
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Jeremiah »

My thoughts too :mrgreen:
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

I cant wait to see it for the 5,000th time in October. I don't care how bad the gear is, I can't get enough of the show!
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

anindyjones wrote:Surely with all the negative feedback surrounding the DP someone, somewhere with Disney has noticed and will improve on the Indy 5 release. :TOH:

haha, seriously doubt it, they didn't care after CS..... and don't actually care that much in general. All of his gear is either "close enough" or "what we sell in the shop".
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

backstagejack wrote:......or "what we sell in the shop".
My vote. ;)

Regard! Michaelson
CRB
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by CRB »

They didn't sell the jacket in the shop. From memory actually I don't think they had the hat either. The only one they had was the waterproof weathered cotton one. Maybe they were having a stock re-stock. Most of the shop ("outpost") was dedicated to the Jedi training school recruitment desks.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Yeah, they haven't had the fedora or jacket prominently in the shops for a while, though I did see some of the wool DP's back in the back of the shop behind the show back in February.

Regard! M
Ridgerunner58
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Between the Edge of Nowhere and the Edge of Somewhere.

Post by Ridgerunner58 »

On the bright side . . . at least they haven't stuck a pair of ears on them. :shock:
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

:lol:
IndianaDan
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by IndianaDan »

ChrisMD wrote:I cant wait to see it for the 5,000th time in October. I don't care how bad the gear is, I can't get enough of the show!
I like this attitude. :TOH: It's the spirit of the costume and the enthusiasm of the actors that's important, not the screen accuracy. 99.9% of the Disney-going public doesn't care if it's Dorfman hat or what kind of jacket or pants are being worn. BUT, every one of those people see a fedora, a leather jacket, and a whip and they ALL know that it's Indiana Jones.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

TOTALLY agree, 100% :M: :tup: ......but considering THIS is an Indy gear discussion site.... we do. ;)

Regard! M
chenricy
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by chenricy »

Michaelson wrote:TOTALLY agree, 100% :M: :tup: ......but considering THIS is an Indy gear discussion site.... we do. ;)

Regard! M
Here Here! :H:
Leigh
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Leigh »

I absolutely love this show. Always one of the highlights when I go. But like any member here, I couldn't resist examining the gear and noticing the inaccuracies. I actually got some pretty clear snaps of it when I was there in 2014 I thought I'd share. Certainly shows the gear inaccuracies! (Although I think a lot of these can be forgiven as it's a stunt show and are clearly done for practicality).

This one shows clear as day the pin on the side of the hat still being present. I'm sure as others have said for practicality reasons they just snatch Dorfmans from the shop for each show, but I am surprised they don't even remove the pin:

This one shows off that weird holster. Not quite sure what's with that still.

I know very little about guns as they're illegal in the UK and it's not something I've ever pursued for a replica, but here's the stunt show gun. (Also, Indy has lost his bag but keeps his gloves on for all the non-jacketed scenes, again I imagine for practicality for the stunts):

This one was cropped from a much larger image, I didn't just take a shot of Indy's backside! But I think this shows a few bits of how they do his gear. The gunbelt is clearly looped through the trousers, not worn over (again, probably to stop it slipping down), the trousers definitely don't look like pinks to me or have the pocket flaps right, and his boots are clearly modern and definitely not Aldens (or anything else that would fit with the era), but again that makes sense for a stunt show.

And finally just to show even if the gear is totally inaccurate, the show is still awesome to watch when you see stuff like this unfold in front of you (even if Marion is in trainers!):

ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

Anyone know what boots he has? I want a pair!
Dalexs
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Dalexs »

Probably Red Wings... but who knows with that place!

And always make sure you hang for after photos... they love meeting fans!

(OMG I can't believe how young my daughter was... the little pain in the...)

Jeremiah
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Jeremiah »

Nice pics.
I have lived in Orlando for 15 years. I think it time for me to go to the show.
twilekjedi
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by twilekjedi »

January 12, 2016
Indiana_Jackie
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Indiana_Jackie »

The recently visited WDW and wore my Indy gear to the show and got chosen to be an extra. I couldn't help but notice that his gear was almost completely inaccuerate but I'm sure its easier to sell their fedoras if the actor is wearing the merchandise as well. Actor playing Indy wasn't the nicest guy to me when I asked for a photo, but the director and gal who played Marion where very sweet and went out of their way to say hi to me and compliment my costume.

All in all, loved the experience of the show...but costume wise, Disney really should step it up. Mine is definitely not perfectly screen accurate, but I'm also a female version and don't have the moola Disney has to afford screen accuracy.

Indiana_Jackie
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Indiana_Jackie »

I also wanted to add that my first fedora was the one they sell at the parks and I altered it by completely soaking it, adding clamps in the the front of the crown and on the front bill to create the right shape and also removed the "Indiana Jones" pin/clip they have on the ribbon of the fedora. It was passable for a while and a good starter.

Ride Guy
Staff Emeritus

Post by Ride Guy »

The Studios used to have a functioning costuming department that was visible through the studio shuttle tour (big red shuttles Backlot Tour). The tour is gone now making way for Star Wars expansions and there is not any real production going on in the soundstage any more. The costuming department actually made and repaired the clothes for the stunt show. They made a few sizes that hovered around the body size of cast members for the show (you would have to fit within that range to be selected). Up close, they would make a lot of the most of us shudder at the inaccuracies, ha! They were made with the idea of abuse, switching quickly and a washing cycle that exceeds in a week what we would do in a month.

These clothes were made from pics with no access to the original or copies of the original; long before the internet and the fine folks here sussed out the gear info. The hat, not even remotely screen accurate, is the same as what is sold in the shop for merchandising purposes. The jackets were Cooper's once upon a time but it's been awhile since I was in Imagineering and had access back there so cannot confirm now.

FYI...the boulder is inflatable around hollow plastic core and is sewn together similar to a soccer ball (but designed pattern to minimize the amount of stitches needed) then painted/themed to look like stone.

Indiana Jackie, that's a shame the cast member performing as Indy wasn't nicer to you. All the performers I knew are long since gone but characters, especially face characters, are expected to be ambassadors of Disney and more often than not, go out of their way to accommodate guests. They enjoy and are given a lot of perks/leeway in their role. Sometimes, face characters can get a little too full of themselves given their status and can lose sight that they are there for the guests. I hope your next trip is better. Make sure you hit Jock Lindsey's hanger for a Hovito Mojito!

Ride Guy
mcmanm
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by mcmanm »

You look great in the pics!
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

Welcome to COW Indiana_jackie.

Great to see you pop in Ride Guy!!!
Indiana_Jackie
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Indiana_Jackie »

Ride Guy wrote:The Studios used to have a functioning costuming department that was visible through the studio shuttle tour (big red shuttles Backlot Tour). The tour is gone now making way for Star Wars expansions and there is not any real production going on in the soundstage any more. The costuming department actually made and repaired the clothes for the stunt show. They made a few sizes that hovered around the body size of cast members for the show (you would have to fit within that range to be selected). Up close, they would make a lot of the most of us shudder at the inaccuracies, ha! They were made with the idea of abuse, switching quickly and a washing cycle that exceeds in a week what we would do in a month.

These clothes were made from pics with no access to the original or copies of the original; long before the internet and the fine folks here sussed out the gear info. The hat, not even remotely screen accurate, is the same as what is sold in the shop for merchandising purposes. The jackets were Cooper's once upon a time but it's been awhile since I was in Imagineering and had access back there so cannot confirm now.

FYI...the boulder is inflatable around hollow plastic core and is sewn together similar to a soccer ball (but designed pattern to minimize the amount of stitches needed) then painted/themed to look like stone.

Indiana Jackie, that's a shame the cast member performing as Indy wasn't nicer to you. All the performers I knew are long since gone but characters, especially face characters, are expected to be ambassadors of Disney and more often than not, go out of their way to accommodate guests. They enjoy and are given a lot of perks/leeway in their role. Sometimes, face characters can get a little too full of themselves given their status and can lose sight that they are there for the guests. I hope your next trip is better. Make sure you hit Jock Lindsey's hanger for a Hovito Mojito!

Ride Guy

It didn't ruin my fun. I enjoyed the show and the rest of the cast were sweet and even told me I shouldn't take off my fedora for the whole show, even though the other extras who were wearing hats had to. Indy can't be without his fedora. And I DID have a Hovito Mojito, although they didn't have the souvenir at the time, but they did have the cool headed monkey glasses. I put together a quick Jock Lindsey outfit for my friend and we made sure to visit Jock Lindsey's before out trip was over ;)

Canyon
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Canyon »

I live that last photo of you, Jackie. Very cool! :tup: