Well it's a start. Becoming Indiana Jones, slowly.

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

NLogan
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Well it's a start. Becoming Indiana Jones, slowly.

Post by NLogan »

My adventure gear. A pretty good beginning for a new gear head I think. Be gentle with me. Looking to upgrade in the future.

Modified Dorfman Pacific hat (I really need to upgrade) :(
Coyle's Raider's Jacket
What Price Glory Indiana Jones Khaki shirt
WWII US Army Officer's pants (pinks) found at an Army Surplus store for less than $10 dollars!
Khaki military web belt
Brown leather gun belt
Magnoli 10' Bullwhip
Black leather two snap belt keeper for whip holder (I would like to find a real whip holder)
Original WWI 1918 British MK VI Webley holster in a dark chocolate brown no gun yet
WWII Canadian Woods MkVII 1942 gas mask bag light khaki/mustard color with d-rings, lanyard disc, and one vent hole
Vintage light brown leather rifle strap from unknown rifle military surplus for Raiders
Vintage dark brown H&K G3 leather rifle strap for Temple of Doom and Last Crusade
Black tie for Last Crusade
Wells Lamont leather driver gloves with keyhole thumb (Needs more weathering until I can find the right gloves)
Wolverine 1000 mile boots

I have been wearing my Indy gear on short hikes up the mountain in my backyard to break it in.

Last edited by NLogan on Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Glenville86
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Re: Well it's a start. Becoming Indiana Jones, slowly.

Post by Glenville86 »

Good gear collection. :TOH:

I have Indy jackets, shirts, hats and close enough boots but do appreciate the folks who go for the full gear.
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

Todd always proves you don't have to spend lots of money to have a fine jacket. It really looks the part. ;) :tup:
NLogan
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by NLogan »

Thanks Texan Scott and Glenville86.

I am really pleased with my Coyles Jacket from Todd's and it weathered nicely to my eye. My favorite piece of gear is my vintage Webley holster, I think the jacket would come in close second, with my budget Magnoli whip coming in third (also a great value for the thrifty spenders out there).

I would like to upgrade my hat most. I love my MkVI gas mask bag but would like to upgrade it to a MkVII bag with the two vent holes and o rings.
Last edited by NLogan on Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

Send 'em an email. They could be out or just forgot it. Todd and co. are normally user friendly.
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

Your stuff looks great!
zaynecarrick
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by zaynecarrick »

Less than $10 for some good trousers is a steal! Wish the surplus stores around me had them in stock.
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

Awesome outfit! Looks a heckuva lot more authentic than what most of us started out with! :TOH:

P.S.- The whip rolls much more smoothly by the turkshead knot instead of gripping the handle, which is really just a focusing lever for aim. It makes a world of difference (even if Indy uses it the wrong way in the movies), trust me.
NLogan
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by NLogan »

Thanks ChrisMD!

Zaynecarrick I was pretty happy to find them after no luck searching for awhile. They were a 36 waist, I wear 32 and way too long I need 30 and they hung off my feet by several inches. My wife was leaving for a business conference for a week but I just couldn't wait that long so I altered and hemmed them myself. I wish I would have waited for her. I still may have her look at them, at least add pleats (beyond my meager ability). On top of that they shrunk when I washed them. I didn't even use hot water and figured over 70 years they had to have been washed a couple of times so what could it hurt. Anyways that is why they look kinda funny. Maybe a future upgrade along the line for them. Still for $10 bucks I am very happy with them. They are actually more of a brown gray in person but the harsh direct sunlight in the photos makes them and the shirt much lighter than they are.

Texan Scott I was so pleased with my jacket I was thinking about making another order with Todd's.

Thanks whipwarrior! Actually if you want to see one of my earlier efforts look in Lao Che's table under "Your Evolution of Gear". Thanks for the tip I will have to try that with the turkshead.
Last edited by NLogan on Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

You are doing just fine here! I am most impressed! Looking good :clap: ! W>
car96
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by car96 »

Your gear looks great.

Your DP looks a lot better than my DP hat.

Shirt looks good to me as I am waiting on a WPG Shirt myself.

Wish I could find some pants at my 2 local army surplus stores. Your pants fit well.

Dig your jacket too which is surprising for me because the only Todd's jacket I had I hated. It was like wearing a trash bag. No character, fit was bad all the way around.

There have been some folks showing their Todd's jackets around here lately that look fantastic.
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

NLogan wrote:Thanks whipwarrior! Actually if you want to see one of my earlier efforts look in Lao Che's table under "Your Evolution of Gear". Thanks for the tip I will have to try that with the turkshead.
Hold the knob in your palm and allow it to swivel like a ball & socket joint, using your index finger along the handle to aim the lash in a particular direction following the whip's natural curve, rather like casting a flexible fishing pole. This allows the whip to move more freely than holding the handle like a car shifter. It might seem contrary given the entire handle foundation, but it takes a lot of the work and unnecessary arm strain out of throwing the whip. Just relax and let it flow. :whip:
NLogan
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by NLogan »

Thanks WConly and car96!

I cut the ribbon brim off of my Dorfman Pacific hat and removed the plastic guide wire around the brim. Then I soaked the hat and put it on shaping the brim and the pinch until it dried. Best I could do as I am yet to buy a better quality hat. All in all it has been a good hat to me if not screen accurate at least it was recognizable as an Indy fedora and made me happy for awhile. As to the Coyle's jacket I was hesitant as even Todd's pricing was a big investment for me. I measured carefully a well loved jacket I had and was delighted that a medium was nearly the same in all aspects but shorter. The shorter worked out nicely to achieve a Raiders look and not interfere with the gun belt. I think the jacket was a great buy for the money and am well satisfied with the quality. Of course it is the only Indiana Jones jacket I have seen and I have only department store bought leather jackets of the past to compare with. I really like my What Price Glory shirt color it is a bit baggy but probably my own fault for ordering a large when I should have taken a medium. I have a large neck but now that I think of it I would rarely need to button it all the way unless I wanted to apply my black tie ala The Last Crusade. I think it is a great shirt.

whipwarrior after getting your advice I went and looked at the professional videos of whip cracking that I had briefly perused and can't see how I missed that all of them were holding the Turk's head knot. I can't wait to get out and try out your advice. I am a little afraid of the whip to be honest and usually have my eye protection on when trying to crack it. It shows in some of the photos of me cringing while whipping. :whip:
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

Yeah, I noticed that you appeared to be ducking your head warily in some of your pics. Just as long as you wear protective gear while learning to handle the whip, everything will be fine. Always try new throws & cracks in slow motion, that way if you do accidentally hit yourself, the whip will be much more forgiving. When I was learning the bullwhip, I always practiced in the backyard, watching my reflection in the door glass like a large mirror so I could observe how the whip moved / traveled around me. It's a good method to help figure out the timing of the whip, how fast it moves, etc. At least nowadays you have the benefit of watching instructional videos on YouTube. Back when I was a kid, all I had was a few brief clips of HF practicing the whip with Glenn Randall on The Making of Raiders video.
Last edited by whipwarrior on Sun Jul 12, 2015 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ridgerunner58
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Between the Edge of Nowhere and the Edge of Somewhere.

Post by Ridgerunner58 »

Yeah. Long pants are important too. :oops:
NLogan
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by NLogan »

Ridgerunner58 wrote:Yeah. Long pants are important too. :oops:
That sounds like a painful life lesson was learned. Hopefully no permanent damage.

:CR:
Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: In Marakesh looking for that Idol. Or some where in N.H.

Post by Indiana Croft »

NLogan, why would we go easy on you :-k your gear look freakin awesome, nicely done, nicely done.
I too love taking pic's all geared up.
Have fu learning the whip, I just learned something that I might have forgotten about holding the Turks head.

Once again. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Croft
NLogan
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by NLogan »

Ridgerunner58 I promise to always wear pants before whipping.

Thanks Indiana Croft! Well there is this rumor about the folks at Club Obi Wan being sticklers for screen accurate only, it being an exclusive club and all. However I felt that instead of being pedantic and perfectionists instead this would be the place of experts who had done their homework. In my search for fairly accurate Indy adventure gear this was the place to come for expert advice. "Be gentle with me" is a Willie quote from Temple of Doom and my way of saying in mock humility look at this gear I have gotten together that I know isn't perfect yet but I am proud of just the same.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

We have NO clue how that rumor ever got started. :-s

We've collectively stated since this site began back in 2002 that if you come here wearing your best screen accurate gear, or a paper bag on your head and Carhart barn coat as your jacket. you're as welcome here as anyone else, and held in as high esteem.

The whole point of the hobby is to get to see what's out there, and to talk about the stuff. Not to 'one-up' anyone. Period. =;

Heck, 90% of us started with A2 flight jackets and old beat up fedoras we found at second hand shops! :lol:

Not sure why such a rumor would get started, but they're wrong, and if you ever hear it again from someone NOT a member here, nip it in the bud. You're a community member now. You can do that. :TOH:

HIGH regards! Michaelson
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

Also, you caught us on a good day. ;) :lol:
NLogan
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by NLogan »

ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

Awesome! I keep coming back to the jacket. Looks GREAT!
Indy Magnoli
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Indy Magnoli »

That's your "newbie" gear? :-s I think it took me a decade to get to that level of accuracy. I LOVE the pants!

Kind regards,
Magnoli
Canyon
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Canyon »

NLogan, firstly, welcome to the forum!

Secondly, your gear looks pretty awesome and the jacket is gorgeous! :clap:
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

Love everyhting. Good show :TOH:
davidd
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by davidd »

The "cave" photo is fantastic! Where and how did you take it?

And the gear looks great to me, but then, I'm okay with "close enough," and your kit appears to far exceed "close enough." Plus, more importantly, you wear it well. Pulling off the "actual clothing" as compared to "costume" look is not something everybody manages equally well.
chenricy
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by chenricy »

Very nicely done! Glad you got them gloves dirty, could never figure out why no one would just grab some dirt and rub it in before taking a pic :lol:

Get ready to spend money needlessly to chase your childhood fantasies and LOVE every minute of it!
NLogan
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by NLogan »

Thanks ChrisMD I really like my jacket too!

Trust me, Magnoli you really don't want to see my early efforts. It probably took about a decade to get here. I was happy to find some close enough pants for cheap. Thanks for the whip!

Thanks canyon and Holt! One day I will try for different film costumes for each one, for now just trying to achieve the feel of Indy without being too film specific.

Yeah chenricy I know what you mean about the gloves. I tried rubbing dirt into them but it just didn't stay and still looked pretty white. I used them hiking and scrambling hoping to get sweat stains but they too didn't last long. I ended up handling rusty metal and going hand over hand pulling old ropes to get some color on them.

Thanks davidd! the boulder is made of iron and is a big rusty ball sitting in front of an artisan hardware and home furnishing store in town. When I saw them put it up in front of the store, I knew one day I would be standing in front of it as Indy. It was taken at night and framed so that you could not see the building behind it.
chenricy
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by chenricy »

Didn't think of the rust and rope, have to do that! I actually used coffee grounds to get the 'earthen' look but not too dark as well.
Dangerfreak
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Dangerfreak »

Great pictures mate and great gear, looks really good. You're off to a good start. :clap:
NLogan
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by NLogan »

chenricy wrote:Didn't think of the rust and rope, have to do that! I actually used coffee grounds to get the 'earthen' look but not too dark as well.
The gloves photographed lighter than they are possibly because of the flash. This is what they look like in daylight.

chenricy
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by chenricy »

NLogan wrote:
chenricy wrote:Didn't think of the rust and rope, have to do that! I actually used coffee grounds to get the 'earthen' look but not too dark as well.
The gloves photographed lighter than they are possibly because of the flash. This is what they look like in daylight.

Oh yeah, those are gorgeous!