Fed 4 true to size?

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Screencapped
Vendor

Fed 4 true to size?

Post by Screencapped »

Hello everyone! As the title of my thread suggests, I'm looking for information on whether the Fed IV runs true to size from those of you who own and have owned these fedoras. Are they big? Small? Or are they like Baby Bear's bed and just right? :TOH:
doppelganger
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Re: Fed 4 true to size?

Post by doppelganger »

Ive had my fed 4 for a while and the size I asked for fits perfectly. And obviouzly the more you wear one the better it fits as it slowly moulds to individual bumps and lumps of your noggin.

Very happy with mine.
Glenville86
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Glenville86 »

Mine fit fine but have bought other hats from Akubra that were not as well fitting.
jlee562
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by jlee562 »

That's been my experience, but Akubras generally shrink over time. My Fed IV now fits tighter than other hats of the same size.
Jeremiah
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Jeremiah »

But don't all hats shrink a little over time? Isn't that the reason that if you buy a vintage fur hat it may not fit even if the size is your size? More than. Likely the sweatband is drying out and shrinking.
JockThePilot
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by JockThePilot »

Jeremiah wrote:But don't all hats shrink a little over time?
Is that true?! That explains why the homburg I inherited from my grandpa is too small when I try it on. (If anything his head was larger than mine, but I don't think he wore the hat in years before it came to me.)

And thanks for asking the question anindyjones, I'm about to order a Fed IV as well so it's been on my mind. Incidentally I've also found the staff at Hats Direct very helpful... I even sent them a picture of myself measuring my head to A) make sure I was doing it right, and B) ask for their opinion on fit. (Considering they ship from Australia, I think they're very interested in making sure you end up with a hat that fits, as it's a real pain to process a return/exchange.)
Jeremiah
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Jeremiah »

I have not worn my ABL raiders in awhile since my reblock of my AB and my man with no name hat that John made me.

I tried the ABL on the other day and the thing is very tight.
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Yes, sweatbands will shrink over time. They are made of leather so as the leather ages it will contract some. Especially if the hat is worn a lot and gets damp with sweat and then dries :-0 but true. There's a reason it is called a sweatband.

Most custom hatters will take that into account and cut the sweatband a bit larger when making the hat so that with regular wear it will shrink to the 'proper' size.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Screencapped
Vendor

Post by Screencapped »

Thanks for all the replies guys! I'm between sizes so now I know I'll definitely get the bigger Fed. :TOH:
Howard Weinstein
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Howard Weinstein »

Hats Direct website sez that the Fed IV blocks run a little small so they suggest ordering a size up from your normal size.

I typically wear a 58, so I ordered all 3 of my Fed IVs (does that = a Fed 12?) in 59. All are definitely a little big, but with some sweatband padding they fit well. Since I never chanced ordering an actual 58, I can't say whether a 58 would indeed have been too small.

As others have noted, Naomi and Trudi at Hats Direct are very helpful and patient. If you give them an exact measurement or size, they'll go to the trouble of measuring the hats they have in stock to get you the best possible fit. So do feel free to email them with questions before you order.
Jeremiah
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Jeremiah »

Why do manufacturers do this. With shoes, hats and other sorts of things. If they run a size or half size large then make it smaller to get the correct size. :-k
Ranger36
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Ranger36 »

It is my understanding that the Fed IV is made using a vintage hat block and that is the reason why it usually runs just a tad small. Old fedoras and all that. I emailed them just a few weeks ago asking about their size 64 and that is the explanation given to me.
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

Ranger36 wrote:It is my understanding that the Fed IV is made using a vintage hat block and that is the reason why it usually runs just a tad small. Old fedoras and all that. I emailed them just a few weeks ago asking about their size 64 and that is the explanation given to me.

That doesn't make sense at all. They could just tag them correctly.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

I heard that from Ron years ago too and always scratched my head. His reason was that the original blocks had shrunk from years of storage and heat.

Ok, understood, wood shrinks, well and good......so re-measure the blocks and mark the hats correctly to coincide with the actual size! :-s

I just didn't understand the method to the madness, but I guess they figure provenance of being made on an original block trumped getting a correct size by guessing. :-k

Uh, ok. :roll:

That's why after I learned that information I asking them to measure a hat and match it to MY head size, and ignore their stated size. It eliminated the guesswork. I also shared that info here years ago.

Regard! Michaelson
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Even still, their hats are sold in cm sizing so they have to be cutting the sweats to those lengths. A 59 is a 59 is a 59.

You'd think....

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Ranger36
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Ranger36 »

All I know is that when I asked for the precise measurements of their size 64, they came back with 63.7 cm. A hair small. I guess they round up. When I asked why, the reason they provided was that vintage blocks are smaller. Why they don't remeasure and use that, I have no idea.
jlee562
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by jlee562 »

Sure all hats shrink over time, but all hats don't use the same quality of leather. Some of my old Stetsons, which are decades old, fit large on me. My Fed, which is a few years old, has shrunken. It began with sizing tape, and now fits tight on my head.
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

Ranger36 wrote:All I know is that when I asked for the precise measurements of their size 64, they came back with 63.7 cm. A hair small. I guess they round up. When I asked why, the reason they provided was that vintage blocks are smaller. Why they don't remeasure and use that, I have no idea.

That is the dumbest answer given to you of all time. That's just plan lazy.
Ridgerunner58
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Between the Edge of Nowhere and the Edge of Somewhere.

Post by Ridgerunner58 »

Ranger36 wrote:When I asked why, the reason they provided was that vintage blocks are smaller.
Maybe that's why I keep thinking I used to be taller . . . back before I became "vintage" . . . :-k
Jeremiah
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Jeremiah »

:rolling:
Maxadur
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Maxadur »

Ordering one size up works every time........you won't be using the foam padding under the sweat band very long, and the hat will morph into the perfect fit without it. Hats Direct is the most reliable vendor I've dealt with. Gerry
JockThePilot
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by JockThePilot »

Okayyyyy... so I just got my fed 4, and it does feel quite big. Even with some (but not all) the foam padding in it feels a bit like it's hovering around my head. Can anyone say from experience whether that's normal for a new fed 4, and it will shrink up with time, or should I go for a smaller size?

Thanks,

Jock
Jeremiah
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Jeremiah »

I would not go smaller myself.
Man it is so easy to add more foam then to have a hat too tight and even using a hat stretcher or size retainer will (could) mess it up.
JockThePilot
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by JockThePilot »

Jeremiah wrote:I would not go smaller myself.
Man it is so easy to add more foam then to have a hat too tight and even using a hat stretcher or size retainer will (could) mess it up.
Thanks Jeremiah! I do feel like it looks a little big, but Trudi also mentioned that it will shrink up some, and it will look better once bashed. So I think I will stick with it... worst case scenario I just get some expensive and risky head enlargement surgery.