Orange is (Once Again) the New Brown

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

Cajunkraut

Orange is (Once Again) the New Brown

Post by Cajunkraut »

Just received from ShoeMart today. Looks like we're on the Alden pumpkin roller coaster yet again. I'm done.

](*,) ](*,) ](*,)
Last edited by Cajunkraut on Tue Apr 05, 2016 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeremiah
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Re: Orange is (once again) the new brown

Post by Jeremiah »

Really? That looks to be the color of the ones I got. I am seeing more a brick red. Maybe it's my iPhone. :-k
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

:rolling:

Wow, shades of the late 90's! :D

Actually, Meletonian 'brick' tones that down pretty well, but yep, that's definitely a familiar sight!

Regard! Michaelson
Jeremiah
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Jeremiah »

These are my 5 month old pair. They the pumpkin color in question?
Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

Jeremiah wrote:Really? That looks to be the color of the ones I got. I am seeing more a brick red. Maybe it's my iPhone. :-k
Brick orange maybe. The first impression when I opened the box is the lasting one. It's more orange than red. I promise.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Agreed. We've had brown, red, AND orange 405's come off the production line over the past 30 years.

These kind of fall between the red and orange, leaning more toward the orange side of the spectrum...at least on MY monitor.

Regard! M
Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

Yep. Just hung up with Alden of SF, and the gentleman confirmed that the 405 is indeed undergoing another color transition to the orange side. :?
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Re: Orange is (Once Again) the New Brown

Post by Michaelson »

:roll:
Tennessee Smith
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tennessee Smith »

Dude... I hate that for you.

Are you going to keep them? I know Hollowpond used a leather die on one of Wade Egan's holsters and turned it from brown to a perfect brown. I can't imagine wanting to do that after spending $500+ though.

If you haven't worn them will they take them back? If they will and your fine with that you can always pick up a pair used. Man, that's just a cr@p situation
Jeremiah
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Jeremiah »

Here are mine new. Next to the chromexcel pair.
So are you all seeing the same color as on Cajuns?

If so I got that pair from the SF shop back in late October.
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

Buy chromexcels. No regrets.
Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

Tennessee Smith wrote:Dude... I hate that for you.

Are you going to keep them? I know Hollowpond used a leather die on one of Wade Egan's holsters and turned it from brown to a perfect brown. I can't imagine wanting to do that after spending $500+ though.

If you haven't worn them will they take them back? If they will and your fine with that you can always pick up a pair used. Man, that's just a cr@p situation
Thanks, TS. They're already on their way back to ShoeMart. If a camera could've caught my expression when I opened the box. I promptly called SM to advise them that I didn't feel that I should even absorb the return shipping given that the shoes no longer resemble the pic on their site. The lady seemd to agree and stated that the returns dept. would take it into consideration. Shipping was less than ten bucks, it's just the principle of the thing.
Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

Jeremiah wrote:Here are mine new. Next to the chromexcel pair.
So are you all seeing the same color as on Cajuns? If so I got that pair from the SF shop back in late October.
Your 405s are from the now extinct brick red run, Jeremiah. Hang onto 'em!
Tennessee Smith
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tennessee Smith »

I still cannot believe that they are going in that color direction.
Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

whipwarrior wrote:Buy chromexcels. No regrets.
I had 403s, but wasn't satisfied with the much softer, more pliable leather. They do look the best straight out of the box and even years later though IMO.
Jeremiah
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Jeremiah »

Ok. Well that the s good news. Thats too bad about the color. Why is Alden making these decisions? I know dyes take to different types of leather differently. Could the source be different?
Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

Jeremiah, Alden's color choices have been the topic of many a discussion here. Sources say that that Alden claims that the original Raiders brown leather is no longer available. Yet, they often do custom color and leather runs for certain distributors. My guess is that they could do whatever they really wanted to as long as it's not considered too cost and/or effort inefficient.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

The old excuse to me has always been they are subject to what ever hide they're sent by their supplier, and have to make the 405's with that material until it runs out, unlike their custom orders where they ORDER a specific hide for a job. That's why those boots cost more.

:-k

Regard! M
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

Yeah, and I thought the $550 natural chromexcels broke the bank. You gotta have REALLY deep pockets to join the AB Alden club! :D
Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

Michaelson wrote:The old excuse to me has always been they are subject to what ever hide they're sent by their supplier, and have to make the 405's with that material until it runs out, unlike their custom orders where they ORDER a specific hide for a job. That's why those boots cost more.

:-k

Regard! M
I'm sure there are a few gearheads who'd gladly pay a premium for a 100% SA Raiders boot knowing it might be the last pair they'd ever buy. Aside from Adventurebilt's best effort, why a vendor hasn't made it happen for even a single custom run is curious.
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

The only custom Aldens more expensive than AB are the ones from Leather Soul Hawaii. For that much $$$ you can make a down payment on a car! :shock:
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Agreed, and what I find interesting is AB AND Leather Soul BOTH were after the 'authentic' brown for the gearheads, and no one seems to totally agree either one got it right, so the search continues for many individuals.

Regards! M
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

It might be a delightful conundrum if it wasn't so maddening. :? Glad I settled for the chromexcels, because I'm never buying Indy boots again. :D
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

:lol: Understood there, whip! :M: :tup:

In my case, I have always been happy with owning a pair of 405's. Color wasn't that big a deal to me, with the exception of the REALLY orange version they had back 'in the day'. I worked hard on them to tone THEM down, as it was like wearing two pumpkins on your feet.

Otherwise, I've been easy to please in that regard as I'm more function over form anymore. :lol: ;)

Regard! M
Indiego Jones
Vendor

Post by Indiego Jones »

Jeremiah wrote:Here are mine new. Next to the chromexcel pair.
So are you all seeing the same color as on Cajuns?

If so I got that pair from the SF shop back in late October.
That chromexcel boot on the right it is THE Raiders s.a. color.
It's natural color?
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

That's the shade that the chromexcels eventually become with regular wear and leather dressing. Mine are still the light bronze hue of seldom worn boots because I only use them occasionally. They'll become that nice shade of Raiders brown in a few years. :TOH:
Indiego Jones
Vendor

Post by Indiego Jones »

Great!
I want a pair oof those!
Thanks.- :TOH:
Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

Indiego,

I think it's safe to say that many gearheads perceive the 70s deadstock 405s to be the same model and color as the Raiders boot. Related threads are linked below for the benefit of our newer members...

http://indygear.com/cow/viewtopic.php?f ... iders+boot" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://indygear.com/cow/viewtopic.php?f ... iders+boot" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:TOH:
JohnnyD97
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by JohnnyD97 »

So what I want to know is if any of these boots are even comfortable or not...?
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

I was thinking of getting a pair but yo, whats up witht he carrot boots?
Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

JohnnyD97 wrote:So what I want to know is if any of these boots are even comfortable or not...?
http://indygear.com/cow/viewtopic.php?f ... it=+aldens" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:TOH:
dorian.jedi.master
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by dorian.jedi.master »

Cajunkraut wrote:Just received from ShoeMart today. Looks like we're on the Alden pumpkin roller coaster yet again. I'm done.

](*,) ](*,) ](*,)
Just curious if this is the result of Alden selling factory seconds to ShoeMart? I saw a review on youtube that had the same "issue"

https://youtu.be/3zy6Ugsf9Ig" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Now saying that, I just bought my 405's straight from The San Francisco shop and they came in a dark brick red, but depending on the lighting looks like a dark caramel brown

http://i1104.photobucket.com/albums/h32 ... wl6o7q.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://i1104.photobucket.com/albums/h32 ... euuydx.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I can see that the color is inconsistent on Cajunkraut... I had worked retail for a couple of years in a music store and whenever a major company offered us factory seconds, we would stock up! Some of these guitars had finish flaws, even a few scratches, But we wouldn't sell these at full price! I guess Jeremiah and I got lucky with our brick red Aldens, but who knows?!
Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

Dorian,

Interesting video, thanks for sharing. The shoes in it are nearly identical to mine, down to the toe color variation. I promptly returned the boots and found a brick red pair at Alden of DC.
dorian.jedi.master
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by dorian.jedi.master »

Cajunkraut wrote:Dorian,

Interesting video, thanks for sharing. The shoes in it are nearly identical to mine, down to the toe color variation. I promptly returned the boots and found a brick red pair at Alden of DC.

Great to hear! I have found that dealing directly with Alden of San Francisco has been very advantageous...I asked for some spare laces and they mailed an extra pair. They were also quick to adress an issue I had, through emails, never tried calling directly, so i have no input on that. So now I wonder how many of these off-color boots are not actually from Alden of SF or DC?

Dorian
Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

Not sure, but the rep at Alden of SF confirmed that the orange color is a characteristic of the newest runs.